Do you think we'll see the Mosquito again?

Maybe... Maybe.

It could qualify as some Allied collector's plane after the release of BoBp, just as well as the Typhoon and a Griffon powered Spitfire Mk. XIV.

I'd definitely like to see it happen, but I have a feeling that the single engine planes I mentioned above have a higher chance to show up before a Mossie eventually would.

Edited by Fritz_X

It would be awesome and a great contender for mud moving on the Brit side of BoBp.  Would prefer it to any other twin engined fighter bombers including the p38.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MartinLubeHerThing_Jr said:

Exactly what the title says, I miss the Mosquito from IL2 1946 and would love to take it for a test drive in this new generation of simulation.

Another excellent point raised: since so many models and FM already exist from LI-2 1946, what is preventing the new IL-2 from simply importing them into the present generation?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hauksbee said:

Another excellent point raised: since so many models and FM already exist from LI-2 1946, what is preventing the new IL-2 from simply importing them into the present generation?

Almost everything. It would compare to the air forces of today 'importing' WW1 aircraft into their fleets and expecting them to be up to current spec.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Almost everything. It would compare to the air forces of today 'importing' WW1 aircraft into their fleets and expecting them to be up to current spec.

Not quite following you here. These are not RL airplanes, merely digital models being ported in from an earlier iteration of  IL-2.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Hauksbee said:

Not quite following you here. These are not RL airplanes, merely digital models being ported in from an earlier iteration of  IL-2.

i see your point but it doesnt quite work like that.

from the simplest of issues of low fidelity meshes and models to how the mesh is constructed, rigged, textured, animated.

then there's the code behind the plane. can that easily and quickly be  *ported* to the new format?

then we have issues of ip and content ownership etc etc 

in theory it seems simple in reality not so much.

;)

(I'm just skirting many issues, there's  heaps more!)

Edited by OrLoK
5 hours ago, OrLoK said:

i see your point but it doesnt quite work like that.

from the simplest of issues of low fidelity meshes and models to how the mesh is constructed, rigged, textured, animated.

then there's the code behind the plane. can that easily and quickly be  *ported* to the new format?

then we have issues of ip and content ownership etc etc 

in theory it seems simple in reality not so much.

;)

(I'm just skirting many issues, there's  heaps more!)

Pshhhh

Right click > Copy, Right click > Paste. Done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing that eventually we might see a Normandy tactical map and a few more appropriate aircraft.

The Mossie could be one of them.

If that happens however it's a long ways off - the aircraft anyway. The map could potentially happen in the next few years.

That's just me spitballin mind you.

I really doubt very much if anything is being "ported over" from IL2 1946. Why would they do that? And "Port Over" all the modelling and FM mistakes that were made, too? There were lots of errors made on the airplanes. The IL2 1946 P-40 was absolutely awful. I didn't like the P-47 cockpit at all. And the P-51 never looked quite right to me. Like the fuselage aft of the cockpit was too long, or the nose was too short. 

They started from scratch, I'm sure. 

But a Mossie? Geez, we don't even have any of the Bodenplatte planeset, yet. I'm sure it's doable. But I'd bet you're looking at two years down the line, at least. 

"Not quite following you here. These are not RL airplanes, merely digital models being ported in from an earlier iteration of  IL-2."

Hauksbee, do you actually think that you can take an airplane from a 15 year old game and simply move it over to a brand new game with a whole new graphics engine, and you're ready to go? 

I think there’s a good chance, that they’ll eventually do the Mossie, but it will never be as a port from IL-2-46, that’s completely out of the question and people should really stop spreading the false idea, that it’s even possible.

However, the Mosquito would be a good choice as a collector’s plane at some point. It is a capable, multi-role aircraft that saw widespread use and didn’t really become obsolete before the end of the war. It also has the added benefit, that you only need to model one crew station.

I think there’s at lest a good chance.

But a Mossie? Geez, we don't even have any of the Bodenplatte planeset, yet. I'm sure it's doable. But I'd bet you're looking at two years down the line, at least. 

Actually, Mosquitoes were on the Luftwaffe target list for Bodenplatte... They were at Ursel airfield (B67)

Edited by Trooper117

As it happens one of the members of our Squadron actually created the Mossie for IL2 1946. A very skilled chap.

I'm sure if he had the tools and the permission from Jason etc.. that he might at least think about it. Although I'm sure its a very hard and time consuming job to create an aircraft for the sim.

I think the only way we would ever see a rapid expansion of aircraft and maps is if the Devs open up the sim to 3rd party designers and developers so that they can offer their models for import into the game, but this would need a lot of organisation and testing and standards and... and.... and.....

I think the sim will eventually have something like the above but this only refuels the old "mods"  or "no mods" debate.

23 hours ago, Hauksbee said:

Il-2 Great battles FM is dynamic in nature, the fm of a plane is the result of the many aerodynamically modelled parts coming together. Il-2 1946 FM was based on one generic FM model that was tweaked for every plane. If you remember, ALL planes in 1946 would tipstall all the time, which is really not realistic.

Great Battles FM is about 100 times more complex and its the FM that takes the biggest amount of work to be done for a new airplane.

12 hours ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

I'll just leave this here:

Great video! I love the dichotomy of the pilot flying a WW2 aircraft whilst having an iPad on his lap haha

• Like 1