ShredderSim

Flight recording stops (error says: 500 MB exceeded)

When I start flight recording (Strg + R) the recording stops after max. 15 min.

Error message: Recording files size has exceeded 500 MB.

Never had that before BoX version 3.0.

Is it a bug or is there any setting to set/ increase the recording limit? (I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, my hard disk=SSD has a plenty of free space for much more than 500MB ... )

• Upvote 2

Fully agree, this is really an annoying new "feature".

Add to that, you usually aren't aware of the fact that the recording suddenly stops, because all that happens is that the tiny icon in the upper right corner of the screen disappears - easily overseen in the heat of the action.

The big bold message telling you that you've exceeded the 500MB limit will only kick in after you finish your sortie, and then it's too late and you've lost all those pretty moments you wanted to record tracks of.

It would be nice to either see this limit being completely removed or, alternatively, have some way to manually set the file size limit, like we can set so many limits like horizon distance etc. in 3.0 already.

If there's some engine limitation that prohibits the creation of recordings larger than 500MB, it would be good to know about these limits (and how to maybe circumvent them), and in that case it would be advisable just to split the recording in multiple 500MB files.

If even that isn't feasible, the least thing we'd need is some clear feedback to the user that the recording has stopped so he can at least restart it manually. Just taking away the icon definitely doesn't cut it.

Cheers!

Mike

Before 3.00  BoX also stopped recording after reaching the limit of 512Kb and also gave no indication that it had stopped other than the (smaller) recording indicator vanishing.   It seems odd that people would complain about it only when they are now given an explanation of why it stopped and a bigger indicator to make it more likely they will notice it has stopped :-)

OTOH,   It does stop earlier now.  I used to get about 40-45 minutes of recording before it stopped and now I get about 25-30 minutes.  I am guessing the graphics settings don't affect the amount that can be recorded because I think you can record a track on Low and watch it back in Ultra.  I believe the track just records the events needed to recreate the visuals. The increased horizon range should not use more space either as no extra objects are being drawn so I don't think any more details need recording.

Yea I noticed this about now recording a bombing mission online. 😡

500 mb is way to little, when I record my race-sim sessions with GeForce experience the files are usually over 20 gig.

At least one should be able to manually change settings to whatever sizes.

I filed a suggestion related to this here: 

I don't know if it's the best way to solve the issue, but it's something. At the very least, there needs to be some kind of indication that the recording stopped during a mission besides the red icon going away because that's not noticeable enough. But ideally there'd either be a setting that allows recordings to continue after the previous one ended (after the 500MB is reached) or an option to allow continuous recordings regardless of size.

• Like 1

I deff agree there either needs to be an option in the config file that we can edit to allow us to record until we land. Or if there is a performance issue with letting it run for more then 30 mins, auto resume once the first clip is over. I had an awesome run in with 2 las. And a yak the other night and i only clipped 1 of them bc it stopped. 🙄 cheers!

1 minute ago, Atomic_359 said:

I deff agree there either needs to be an option in the config file that we can edit to allow us to record until we land. Or if there is a performance issue with letting it run for more then 30 mins, auto resume once the first clip is over. I had an awesome run in with 2 las. And a yak the other night and i only clipped 1 of them bc it stopped. 🙄 cheers!

Yeah, I just had the same thing happen again to me last night in one of the harder battles I've fought and was pretty bummed when i realized the recording had stopped and I missed a lot of the battle.

I'm going to just start manually restarting the recordings in shorter intervals until there's a better in-game solution.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, obit said:

Yeah, I just had the same thing happen again to me last night in one of the harder battles I've fought and was pretty bummed when i realized the recording had stopped and I missed a lot of the battle.

I'm going to just start manually restarting the recordings in shorter intervals until there's a better in-game solution.

Ive been doing the same bud. But wen crap hits the prop u dont usually think of it haha.😂

• Like 1