89-

Windows mixed reality status in IL2? WMR VR sets from Samsung, Dell, Lenovo etc

I understand that IL2 had (has?) some native issues with WMR VR sets like the Samsung Odyssey, Dell Visor, Lenovo Explorer etc. Just wanted to make a thread that would keep track of updates in this regard. Is WMR still unplayable in IL2 or has there been a IPD mod that solved this? If yes, how satisfactory is the solution?

How is the performance compared to Oculus/Vive?

• Upvote 2

There are issues with any HMDs that are not oculus of HTC Vive to be honest.  BOX doubles the IPD that is reported to Steam VR by the HMD.  So this makes all aircraft look smaller in scale.  It can be mitigated somewhat by using the 3DMigoto mod here

Though to be honest it still not perfect.

• Upvote 2

At this point I feel like they need to either say "We are looking into it" or "We aren't dealing with this at all currently". 

Its been five months of silence and a lot of headsets are being sold or considered and this total uncertainty is frustrating and potentially damaging to the brand.  The Vive Pro comes out in three days.. imagine how mad someone will be if they buy it for il2 and it doesn't work (which it probably won't).

Yeah, I actually bought a second IL-2 license so my kid and I could fly VR against each other, my on Rift and him on a WMR setup. If they get this fixed, I'll buy him the rest of the planes/battles, but holding off until then. :(

I'm going to give the mod a try, in WMR, everything is (stock) about 50% of what size it should be.

The scale problem is really annoying - I have both a Vive and a Samsung but I much prefer the Samsung due to higher resolution. I bought all Il-2  expansions months ago and I didn't imagine there would be problems with WMD headsets since they work fine in other sims.

All we can do at this stage is just wait and hope the devs find time to look at this now that theyve pushed the kuban patch out.

interesting that the Vive Pro seems to work in terms of the scaling issue. As it has the exact same screen resolution as the Samsung, I wonder if it would be easy to make a workaround? Somehow trick it into thinking that a Samsung is a Vive Pro? or maybe the devs could just simply add the Samsung to the list of compatible devices and copy over the settings for the Vive Pro.

1 hour ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Guido, as far as I know the Vive Pro has the same scaling issue. Must have been a misunderstanding

has someone whos tested it verified it doesnt work? Im pretty sure i saw someone on one of the vivepro threads say it was fine.

Don't know, haven't seen someone reporting it to work properly

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
clarification

The Vive Pro has no issues and several people have confirmed such (including me).  I am not sure how or why this rumor is persisting.

I would say no, unless the price is a trifle to you.  It’s definately better visually, but the vive god rays are quite annoying.  I found the Oculus a refined experience and the vive is a step backwards in some minor ways.  

So unless price is no object, wait till we see what LG, Google, or anyone else has to offer later this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

That's awesome then. Is it worth the upgrade? 

from the resolution and clarity perspective - absolutely! It no longer feels that I'm sitting in the haze. I no longer need the x5 or x10 zoom..  the x2 zoom is enough. Spotting is super easy. The game feels like a new game, as if I'm playing it on the desktop clarity-wise. Shiny surfaces, .50 cal can be seen way way out... in short imagine you had a severe case of myopia, then went to the optometrist and got yourself a nice set of prescription glasses, put them on an went "wow"..

The ergonomic factors of VivePro HMD are a step down compared to Rift. Or let's say it felt that way for the first week. Now I honestly don't even remember how Rift feels anymore so there's some "breaking it in" time needed to get fully acclimated with vivepro. However, when I tried the original Vive, the vivepro was a step up. :) So go figure ... haha..

The amount of time I spend in this game is ridiculous so for me it was definitely worth the upgrade. Some may look at it differently and I understand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moosya said:

from the resolution and clarity perspective - absolutely! It no longer feels that I'm sitting in the haze.

While I sort of agree with what you are saying, I find that if I am not "looking" dead center in the HMD the picture resolution gets startling bad.  Perhaps I need to train myself to not look in the peripheral as much and it wouldn't be so jarring.  I also find the "god rays" quite unwelcome.  

Is it a step up?  certainly.  I still cannot recommend it for anyone with a tight budget.  

31 minutes ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

I still cannot recommend it for anyone with a tight budget.  

lol.. i'm with you there..  some guys are wondering if they want to spend $100 on a joystick to play an airplane simulator game (!) :biggrin:

21 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

The Vive Pro has no issues and several people have confirmed such (including me).  I am not sure how or why this rumor is persisting.

that is good news. i hope since the samsung uses the same display that is easy for them to update in the next patch :rolleyes:

Got my first license today, was really excited about it, until I play it... looks like I'm flying a RC Scale Plane from great planes.... how often they release patches?

Samsung HMD Odyssey here....

2 hours ago, famaral said:

Got my first license today, was really excited about it, until I play it... looks like I'm flying a RC Scale Plane from great planes.... how often they release patches?

Samsung HMD Odyssey here....

They are hoping to release a potential fix at the end of the month.

Well, you can try the 3Dmigoto mod, which almost fixed things for me.  I got the cockpit right but then other things were blurry.

Thanks ICDP and Rataz,

I Tried 3Dmigoto, the cockpit looks good, but all the external of the cockpit looks wrong. makes you dizzie! 

3Dmigoto has been unusable for me for this very reason.  The newer versions of the mod causes double vision and dizziness on the distant landscape.  The earlier version does still work because it uses the earlier method.

Having said that, I have every faith that the devs will have fixed the IPD bug for WMR in the upcoming patch.

Salutations,

I trust that 'if the scaling issue can be corrected' in IL2 that the developers will fix it. A hopeful future VR pilot.  :salute:

On 8/22/2018 at 4:48 PM, 420maana2820 said:

So you can now use the WMR headsets like the Lenovo Explorer without any problems?

Yes, they work perfectly without any scaling issues and tracking is fine.  I have a Samsung Odyssey and have tried a Lenovo Explorer in BOX, both work fine.

hey, do i need to buy the controllers too or only the headset? looking to get an Lenovo Explorer

52 minutes ago, duko said:

hey, do i need to buy the controllers too or only the headset? looking to get an Lenovo Explorer

Not needed for this game.  Not for war thunder either.

I recommend buying controllers so that you can play other VR games though.

I also recommend before buying a windows mixed reality device is check your IPD (distance between your eyes) with the maximum IPD supported by the device.

Hello. I've bought a Lenovo explorer. Can i use it with the web version of IL2 or do i need a STEAM copy?

1 minute ago, Twineyes said:

Hello. I've bought a Lenovo explorer. Can i use it with the web version of IL2 or do i need a STEAM copy?

You do not need a Steam version of IL-2 unless you just want it. The Web version will work fine.

You will need Steam to get Steam VR. IL-2 uses Steam VR.

I explain me. I've bought today the IL-2 in the web, not in Steam, but I haven't install yet the Lenovo explorer set. That's because I'm asking.

If I understand you, I can play the game with the Lenovo explorer only with Steam VR open although I run the web version of IL-2. It's true?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Twineyes said:

I explain me. I've bought today the IL-2 in the web, not in Steam, but I haven't install yet the Lenovo explorer set. That's because I'm asking.

If I understand you, I can play the game with the Lenovo explorer only with Steam VR open although I run the web version of IL-2. It's true?

Thanks.

Correct. You do not have to have Steam open, but Steam VR yes.

If it is like it is with my Rift, when you launch IL-2 ( with the VR option selected in the menu, do this first), it will start Steam VR for you anyway when the game launches.

If it does not, just start Steam VR then launch IL2. 

I have a windows headset.

The procedure for playing games that aren't from the windows store is (from my experience so far):

1 Connect headset and start the Mixed Reality Portal (cliff house) if it didn't start already on its own.

2 Headset will not find the 'play area' or whatever, look side to side and up and down (I find looking at the ceiling helps a lot)

3 Start Game.  Steam VR will start up (regardless of if you have the main steam program running already or not) and then you will be in-game in VR.

Note:

-If you leave your headset plugged in all the time, you have to start wmr portal on your own and then 'check your display cable'  by unplugging and plugging in the HDMI connector.

-If you use the headphone port of the headset but theres no sound, turn up volume and then check usual audio source for sound there.   In some of my games I have to use an extension cable for my audio.  A bluetooth solution would be better but this works.

Thats my pre-game startup checklist

Edited by Rataz

Lately when I load the game, win + y doesn't work and I can't use my mouse with the headset on.  I have to take it off and move the mouse in game.  I've been trying to find an answer, any ideas?

1 hour ago, boosterx said:

Lately when I load the game, win + y doesn't work and I can't use my mouse with the headset on.  I have to take it off and move the mouse in game.  I've been trying to find an answer, any ideas?

I think I've run into this.  Sometimes I keep my finger on the forehead sensor so I'm sure it thinks I have it on, then experiment with win+y and alt-tab.

For some games alt-tabing out and back in again helps with mouse problems.

On 10/25/2018 at 1:14 AM, boosterx said:

This is very annoying because you can't interact with the menu while using the HMD!