Ungern-Sternberg

[MOD] Old sky color

There is an explanation of the skydome in the russian side of the forum

"в нем четыре части (слева направо, сверху вниз) :

градиент освещения на солнце с 0 часов до 12 на высоте от 2 км, с 0 до 12 от солнца от 2 км

градиент освещения на солнце с 0 часов до 12 на высоте до 2 км, с 0 до 12 от солнца до 2 км"

Hopefully my translation is close to right;

texture is divided in to 4 parts

Color of light from the sun starting at 0 and going to 12 from an alt of 2km, the same 180 degrees from the sun

Color of light from the sun starting at 0 and going to 12 to an alt of 2km, the same 180 degrees from the sun

I dont think the DDS file is the one being called up by the sky shader. If you look in the sky.ini file in all the weather subfolders you'll find "skydome="graphics\SKY\summer\skydome.bmp". Light.bmp is also being called by the same ini and this may define the color of the sun and ambient light.

EDIT: the skydome.bmp does the trick

bmp.jpg

Edited by LizLemon
attatched comparison image
  • Upvote 1

Light.bmp controls the color of the sun and ambient light. The top strip is for the sun, the second color strip is ambient, and the bottom to appear to do nothing but I suspect they may have been for light intensity at one point.

Here is a comparison with stock on the left and pure white sun with less saturated ambient on the right.

sun compare.jpg

• Upvote 1

I spoke too soon. The bottom color strip in light.bmp has some sort of impact on the color tinge of specular/bloom and overall sun brightness. Making that strip pure white means that the colored bloom can be eliminated.

clean_bloom.thumb.png.2f55ef0aea6f7240a5f0397462b4db60.png

The big screen cap is with pure white bloom, which is how things should look. The top right and bottom left are with a color cast from changing the color. The default game has a slight yellow tint on the 109s windscreen due to the suns color.

Changing the second color strip in light.bmp is the ambient light, and this effects the high alt clouds. Changing this to pure white makes the high alt clouds look nice, but ambient light is too bright. A neutral grey keeps those clouds from looking like blue/green puke but the subtle blue tinge to shadows is then gone. I think manipulating the high alt cloud textures is probably the way to go to fix this instead of mucking around with the ambient color.

987111982_whitehighaltclouds.thumb.jpg.f9506ef9cee08a936dcb1fbe1f812b17.jpg

• Upvote 3

Messing around with the ski.ini is the key to getting rid of the blue tinge the low clouds have. However the high alt clouds are only being illuminated by indirect lighting, not the sun, which is why they look so off.

cloud blue.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:50 PM, LizLemon said:

I spoke too soon. The bottom color strip in light.bmp has some sort of impact on the color tinge of specular/bloom and overall sun brightness. Making that strip pure white means that the colored bloom can be eliminated.

-snip-

The big screen cap is with pure white bloom, which is how things should look. The top right and bottom left are with a color cast from changing the color. The default game has a slight yellow tint on the 109s windscreen due to the suns color.

Changing the second color strip in light.bmp is the ambient light, and this effects the high alt clouds. Changing this to pure white makes the high alt clouds look nice, but ambient light is too bright. A neutral grey keeps those clouds from looking like blue/green puke but the subtle blue tinge to shadows is then gone. I think manipulating the high alt cloud textures is probably the way to go to fix this instead of mucking around with the ambient color.

-snip-

Do you plan on releasing a mod package with the bloom color change?

The greenish/bluish bloom when HDR is enabled is the worst.

On 4/6/2018 at 4:50 AM, ironk79 said:

installed it, love it - thanks!

how do you install it to mod manager? i can't get it to work...

2 hours ago, 666-B33LZ3BUB said:

how do you install it to mod manager? i can't get it to work...

Are you taking about a mod enabler like JSGME?  The download is already set up in the correct folder structure and all you have to do is copy the top folder (old sky color)  to the mod enabler's MOD folder and then install it with the enabler.