Jason_Williams

Official Skin Template Links (Updated 2/19/20)

May we have a new LaGG-3s29 4096 template for Battle of Stalingrad? Can't wait to sink my tooth into this one!

Hello all,

I have recently been working with the 4k template of the Bf109 F2. I am using Gimp for my attempts. I believe I have found an error in the template by BlackHellhound1. See picture for the error. The green blop on the nose even effects the underside. Anyone have a handy tip for repairing this in Gimp short of doing the entire layer a new?

109F2temperror.JPG

Just noticed couple small issues with the Sopwith Camel template;

1. The struts have large random dot covering their alpha. Looks as though this was from the roundel on the aileron beneath but not excluded from the struts?

323150477_Annotation2020-01-11235247.thumb.jpg.4853479781cefcc7bdc710723c493789.jpg

2.  Some of the struts are missing the metal disc on them. I've also provided screen shots showing the difference between the struts on the default skins compared to the skin produced with the template.

1052653596_Annotation2020-01-11235248.thumb.jpg.297aa3a543caa242f67e27dd8e1d3c8a.jpg

image.thumb.png.01a66a21470e5f8a006ee34630df6252.png

image.thumb.png.311736db90eef7505f8bf902a2779d79.png

Edited by Oliver88

31 minutes ago, Raptorattacker said:

Just get rid of them/add them in your editing software?

And I will do for mine (as I said small issues). But figured should mention. Or rather that I say nothing? Not let others know and keep it to myself?

Noticed these are not covered either in their metal texture like the defaults;

image.thumb.png.8b7aaad3a97fc78a12fdd48427e22dfd.png

image.thumb.png.1483dd4b7e711443af1a540511c72c23.png

1474371283_Annotation2020-01-12004629.thumb.jpg.d3b3f25b3a044e315cd636cbe65caca8.jpg

Edited by Oliver88

I wasn't suggesting that you say nothing. It's brilliant to mention this stuff when you come across it. I come across this stuff all the time and do the same. Have you mentioned it to ICDP or whoever it was who prepared the file? Probably worth it as it will more than likely get lost in the depths if it's just in here!

:good:

Yeh did not know where else to mention these (no dedicated thread for the templates unlike for example the Spitfire Vb). Waste of its own thread. And have seen others mention issues in here so figured to add here also. I shall private message him instead then, cheers.

• Like 1

Can we expect the release of a ICDP 4k template for the Yak1s69 ?

Édit : i've just seen it' already there !

Thanks for your great artwork Martin !

Edited by PatCartier

When is the Panther template coming out. I'm pulling my hairs trying to find the thousands of small parts spread all over the place.

From what i understand this tanks are made by third party company and that may explain why so many small parts are spread everywhere and are so hard to find. It's definitely  a lot harder to work with this than the, in house made, aircraft made models.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

Some tank templates are crazy (pz VI-H1, pz IVG)
And as commented the pieces are scattered throughout the template and difficult to locate, great waste of time and poorly finished skin.
:(

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

Some tank templates are crazy (pz VI-H1, pz IVG)
And as commented the pieces are scattered throughout the template and difficult to locate, great waste of time and poorly finished skin.
:(

This is the biggest problem. The tank 3d models are contracted to an outside company and they do things differently and don't care about players made skins. they mapped this textures completely disregarding the user made skin aspect of it. So many small parts are spread everywhere without any interest to at least cluster them together to be easier to locate and paint.

Just look at this image: i used that old and reliable panel finder.

2020_1_25__17_38_2.thumb.png.9ee2d75c4beb66019dde2e0e70432623.png

Look at all those colors for parts that are so small and so related to each other. How hard is it to cluster all those parts together on the map, so we can find them and paint them all together? 

I guess this is the reason so few tank skins have been released. I think Jason should contact the contracting company, that makes the mapping for this templates, and ask them to be more careful where they put this small parts. 

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 2

I've been trying to locate these parts of the canyon for many hours.
This is what you face when painting a Tiger.
Help Jason :help:

2020-1-9-21-17-36.jpg

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, E69_julian57 said:

Good luck with THAT then! If you ask me you're in for a lonnnnng and rocky road there, my friend!!

• Sad 1

Btw, if i not own a plane i still can make  a skin. But if i not have the TC then i cant see any tanks in viewer...why? why ladies and gentlemens ?

• Like 1

I removed two skirting panels from the Panther 5 to show damage. One of them left a very thin metal rod, almost thread like, floating horizontally in the air. It was a panel edge. I thought no problem I will just remove a greater area. 4 hours later I still could not locate the thin strip. It was taken from somewhere in the skin but nowhere near the actual panel itself and too thin to pinpoint using the 4k panel finder. Maybe in another 4 hours I might have tracked it down by creating another finder but I ended up just putting the panel back on.

I am sure the developers have time constraints and deadline pressures that we don't but in the long run just a little more care would pay off for everyone that enjoys the diversity and quality of good skins that the game can offer. Are they aware that others are following in their wake making more skins?

Edited by Flowbee_603
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, E69_julian57 said:

I've been trying to locate these parts of the canyon for many hours.
Help Jason :help:

2020-1-9-21-17-36.jpg

I might be able to help you. I made a little tool for just this kind of problem quite a few years back for the original IL2 called Eliminator which incredibly after all those years is still up at M4T from when Jim the site owner transferred it in 2006 to his then new site when he closed Airwarfare.com. I think it was around 2004 when I originally made it while on the Airwarfare forum :)  I had planned to update it to work in IL2 BOX but it's no small task and I lacked the required level of motivation.

However seeing you struggling and having some time today I felt motivated to crank out an alpha version of my little tool in 4k to let you try out. I've already tested it on the Tiger and it works, but I'll send you this alpha version to try out for yourself, so check your pm box shortly :good:

This tool works in a different way to the other tools available for this task, that's not to say that it's any better, just different. Here's a quick look at the Tiger trouble.

We start with "elim start" and see that our part is blue.

2020_1_31__13_53_13.jpeg.c93372421192b8242f6e5e661d810b84.jpeg

So we then change skins to "elim blue" and the part is now yellow.

2020_1_31__13_53_38.jpeg.379c50f22db5941e267aedfd36137409.jpeg

So we change to "elim blue yellow" and the part is still yellow.

2020_1_31__13_53_59.jpeg.bc684cd4556504fe55bb93b0da6c3501.jpeg

Finally we go to "elim blue yellow yellow" and the part is now green.

2020_1_31__13_54_7.jpeg.b5ee47d92be6e337c13ff7baaebaae99.jpeg

Looking at the "elim blue yellow yellow" skin we can now see where on the template we should be looking.

Elim_Blue_Yellow_Yellow.thumb.jpeg.1ec089001f6583a81146c8f5f3d9e616.jpeg

If it's still elusive, we can develop a new skin "elim blue yellow yellow green" which will divide the search area by a factor of 4. We can keep doing this down to 4x4 pixels if needs be :) 

If this works for you, I'll knock out a beta version and upload it to the skinning resources page for anyone who wants it. Then if I can motivate myself, clean it up a bit and make a final version.

@E69_julian57 I tried to PM you but it won't send, is your box full?

Edited by Pict
Spelling, tweaking etc.
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pict said:

I might be able to help you. I made a little tool for just this kind of problem quite a few years back for the original IL2 called Eliminator which incredibly after all those years is still up at M4T from when Jim the site owner transferred it in 2006 to his then new site when he closed Airwarfare.com. I think it was around 2004 when I originally made it while on the Airwarfare forum :)  I had planned to update it to work in IL2 BOX but it's no small task and I lacked the required level of motivation.

However seeing you struggling and having some time today I felt motivated to crank out an alpha version of my little tool in 4k to let you try out. I've already tested it on the Tiger and it works, but I'll send you this alpha version to try out for yourself, so check your pm box shortly :good:

This tool works in a different way to the other tools available for this task, that's not to say that it's any better, just different. Here's a quick look at the Tiger trouble.

We start with "elim start" and see that our part is blue.

2020_1_31__13_53_13.jpeg.c93372421192b8242f6e5e661d810b84.jpeg

So we then change skins to "elim blue" and the part is now yellow.

2020_1_31__13_53_38.jpeg.379c50f22db5941e267aedfd36137409.jpeg

So we change to "elim blue yellow" and the part is still yellow.

2020_1_31__13_53_59.jpeg.bc684cd4556504fe55bb93b0da6c3501.jpeg

Finally we go to "elim blue yellow yellow" and the part is now green.

2020_1_31__13_54_7.jpeg.b5ee47d92be6e337c13ff7baaebaae99.jpeg

Looking at the "elim blue yellow yellow" skin we can now see where on the template we should be looking.

Elim_Blue_Yellow_Yellow.thumb.jpeg.1ec089001f6583a81146c8f5f3d9e616.jpeg

If it's still elusive, we can develop a new skin "elim blue yellow yellow green" which will divide the search area by a factor of 4. We can keep doing this down to 4x4 pixels if needs be :) 

If this works for you, I'll knock out a beta version and upload it to the skinning resources page for anyone who wants it. Then if I can motivate myself, clean it up a bit and make a final version.

@E69_julian57 I tried to PM you but it won't send, is your box full?

This looks very interesting!!!:salute:

Can i have a copy if it please? This Panther makes me pull my hairs out.:lol:

Edited by Jaws2002

On 1/31/2020 at 4:53 PM, Jaws2002 said:

This looks very interesting!!!:salute:

Can i have a copy if it please? This Panther makes me pull my hairs out.:lol:

I'm pleased your interested as I will be hoping for some feedback and even some input to expand things a little when I release the Beta, which I am just in the middle of post now...should be up in about 15 minutes on the skinning resources thread.

The Panther has got some weird issues I think as I had a look at it with Eliminator and it appears that the complete turret, rear boxes (fuel?) and most of the drive train don't appear to be on the skin that we can access. I would post a screenshot, but you can see for yourself shortly :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

Thank you!

Your welcome, it's now available here :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Pict said:

I'm pleased your interested as I will be hoping for some feedback and even some input to expand things a little when I release the Beta, which I am just in the middle of post now...should be up in about 15 minutes on the skinning resources thread.

The Panther has got some weird issues I think as I had a look at it with Eliminator and it appears that the complete turret, rear boxes (fuel?) and most of the drive train don't appear to be on the skin that we can access. I would post a screenshot, but you can see for yourself shortly :) 

i posted in the other thread what is the issue wit the Panther. basically the tanks have two textures, one for hull and one for turret. The names have to follow some rules to work. I got it working for the turret and i posted the "how to" in the other thread.

Make sure you respect the naming convention for tank skins. I didn't try the Panzer IV yet, but for the panther you have to add  &1 to the hull texture name and the turret use the exact hull name plus #1 That way the game knows that this two textures are for the same skin. 

this one in game shows up as "ambush": but the names for the textures are ambush&1 for hull and ambush&1#1 for the turret.

2020_2_1__17_30_50.thumb.png.c51b7f55626ea614408431a5249014fc.png

Try it see if it works for the PanzerIV.  I just checked the names for the official panzer IV skins and i thinkl they follow the same naming convention.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Thanks 1

is there a place where I can find the 2K versions? The 4K is cool and everything, but since nor my monitor nor my eyes are that picky, I would be happy with the 2K, if its possible to access them (190 A3 for example). 

5 hours ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

is there a place where I can find the 2K versions? The 4K is cool and everything, but since nor my monitor nor my eyes are that picky, I would be happy with the 2K, if its possible to access them (190 A3 for example). 

I found an early 2k template that's very close to the original 2k A3 release. There are a few extra layers I painted over it, but all the layers released with the original are there. I lost the original in a hard drive failure and this is the closest to the official templateI was able to recover.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/se5hcvor2f6s9i3/FW190a3_2kPublic.psd/file

Have fun painting.

Edit. You could also work on the 4k template and just reduce the size of the texture before you save it. That way, you get a better looking skin. The newer, 4k template is of higher quality as well, not only bigger in size.

Edited by Jaws2002

9 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

You could also work on the 4k template

To be fair Jaws, it doesn't sound like there was any intent on actually doing any SKINNING. I think there was just a request for skins? I may be wrong...

That can be easily done by resizing the skin and saving it at 2k.

13 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

That can be easily done by resizing the skin and saving it at 2k.

Yeah, I know that and YOU know that but does HE know that (and can he do it even if he does?). To some people it isn't as easy to do is all. Just sayin'...

• Upvote 1

I still think he was talking about the template. There are still a lot of 2k skins available online.

• Like 1

Panther Template

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/I1SJ5cQzRc

I have uploaded the Panther template to Jason, it has been cleaned up ready for public release.  I wanted to give some info for those creating skins for the Panther.

Templates

Panther_TC_Public &1#1 (contains turret, wheels and engine decking)

Panther_TC_Public &1 (contains hull)

There are 2x templates, one for the hull and one for the turret, wheels and engine decking and the naming conventions must be followed.  The skin name must be identical for both parts of the skin and IT MUST end with the text highlighted in red.  So for example if I create a skin called Panther 123 I end up with 2x skins called

Panther 123 &1#1

Panther 123 &1

You can have any names for the skins you want, as long as it has the same name and ends with the text in red.  Failure to follow these naming conventions means your skins will not display properly.

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2