Jump to content
Pict

Technochat as an option in realism settings

Technochat as an option in realism settings  

39 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Would you be ok with having the "technochat" as an option in the realism settings?

    • Yes
      34
    • No
      5

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/18 at 10:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

As the "technochat" feature, (HUD component that shows engine management inputs as percentages & warns of engine mode and overheat), is currently always available, regardless of difficulty level settings...there is no option to prevent it's use when you set up a server or mission.

 

This prevents those who like to fly without the "technochat" feature from knowing they are flying with like minded people online.

 

An option to have or not to have this "technochat" feature added to the realism settings would relieve this problem, while at the same time not removing the "feature" for those who want it.

 

Currently it is always available, so only serves one group of peoples needs or interests.

 

Should you not be ok with this simple idea, it would be interesting to hear a reasonable account as to why not. As I see nothing to lose and only gains to be had from it's implemtation.

Edited by Pict
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason why people would protest against this is in the fear that this feature would be "forced" on them, while in their point of view there are "clear" reasons why technochat is such a must-have feature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JaffaCake said:

The only reason why people would protest against this is in the fear that this feature would be "forced" on them, while in their point of view there are "clear" reasons why technochat is such a must-have feature.

 

Fear that an option would be forced on anyone, doesn't seem like a reasonable account as to why not in my book...and I agree that there are clear reasons some people would want this "technochat" feature and I don't suggest removing it, at all.

 

In the same manner that some people want pre-heated engines and icons and gps on their maps etc., etc., all these features and more have valid reasons for people to want to use them. But they are optional in the realism settings and I don't see where they have been forced on anyone.

 

On the contrary, the "technochat" is not optional in the realism setting and therefore is actually forced on those who have clear reasons for not wanting it. This is not just fear of something that is not happening, but real frustration of something that is happening...this difference is beyond comparison.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pict said:

 

Fear that an option would be forced on anyone, doesn't seem like a reasonable account as to why not in my book...and I agree that there are clear reasons some people would want this "technochat" feature and I don't suggest removing it, at all.

 

In the same manner that some people want pre-heated engines and icons and gps on their maps etc., etc., all these features and more have valid reasons for people to want to use them. But they are optional in the realism settings and I don't see where they have been forced on anyone.

 

On the contrary, the "technochat" is not optional in the realism setting and therefore is actually forced on those who have clear reasons for not wanting it. This is not just fear of something that is not happening, but real frustration of something that is happening...this difference is beyond comparison.

 

 

I don't disagree with you and what you say makes sense. I am simply pointing out that I expect this "fear" to be the driving factor behind people protesting against this feature being implemented. Especially if they feel that their favourite server is likely to implement such a feature.

 

Because at the end of the day, for people playing multiplayer, there are only at most 2-3 servers that are populated enough to be able to have an engaging game. So while these things are optional - they may become mandatory to you as all of the servers you play on use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaffaCake said:

I don't disagree with you and what you say makes sense. I am simply pointing out that I expect this "fear" to be the driving factor behind people protesting against this feature being implemented. Especially if they feel that their favourite server is likely to implement such a feature.

 

That's what I understood and it's appreciated. Your putting the spotlight on an interesting aspect.

 

1 hour ago, JaffaCake said:

Because at the end of the day, for people playing multiplayer, there are only at most 2-3 servers that are populated enough to be able to have an engaging game. So while these things are optional - they may become mandatory to you as all of the servers you play on use it.

 

You may well be right in that, but there are other factors to consider...

  • Multiplayer has had an overhaul and it appears to be easier to set up an online game
  • Co-op is now available and the A.I. have upped their game, as far as I can see :)

This means that there are more options available for multi player, and in the case of co-op, less need for fleshing out the game literally with human players. Which in turn will see more online games being played without affecting the big dogfight severs at all.

 

Anyhow, I would like to know how all that compares to other options like gps? Are people forced to fly with or without gps on the 2-3 servers you mention?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This could be great for MP servers and making it into an option can enhance the realsm and inmersion.

For me, the perfect option would be
Permit Technochat

 

So if you want to use it and it's permited, you can

Edited by LF_ManuV
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would love this as a feature but I do see there being problems.

 

For instance, the way the engine damage model is in-game would be a problem for me. As long as I run my engine within spec I should be fine but in game if I go over a hardset time limit my engine will be damaged, I dont keep track of time in combat so it would be hard to know if my engine is in danger or not. If the engine model was more akin to DCS where there arent hardset limits then I'd feel much better about not having technochat.

 

I would rather not have technochat as I like to fly by my instruments, but the way the current engine model is I don't think I could do without it honestly.

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there still that emergency time exceeded warning in expert?

 

I've not destroyed my engine due to exceeding engine time limits more than once or twice in 12 months of flying in VR with the HUD off.  Sure I might be more conservative with my times, especially if I forget to check the clock,  but having a warning reminding you that you've run your engine too long seems a bit of an unneeded luxury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Is there still that emergency time exceeded warning in expert?

 

I've not destroyed my engine due to exceeding engine time limits more than once or twice in 12 months of flying in VR with the HUD off.  Sure I might be more conservative with my times, especially if I forget to check the clock,  but having a warning reminding you that you've run your engine too long seems a bit of an unneeded luxury.

I agree but the way they model engines in this game is incorrect and it makes it more difficult than it has to be.

 

If the engine model was about how well you manage your engine and temps etc then I'd love to fly without technochat but instead it's just about making sure you don't overdo your time limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I would love this as a feature but I do see there being problems.

 

This is already a "feature", it's just not an option in the realism settings, which is all this poll is about...

 

Would you be ok with having the "technochat" as an option in the realism settings?

 

Yes

 

No

 

18 hours ago, Legioneod said:

For instance, the way the engine damage model is in-game...

 

This poll has no bearing on the way the engine damage is modeled in-game...

 

18 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I would rather not have technochat as I like to fly by my instruments, but the way the current engine model is I don't think I could do without it honestly.

 

This poll is not a question of whether you do or do not want to use the "technochat" feature.

 

=========================================================================

 

This poll is to see if you would be ok with those who do not want to use "technochat" having the ability to set up a "technochat" free environment in a multiplayer game...in the same way as can be done for external views, gps, unlimited ammo, etc., etc.,

 

If you vote no, this means that you are not ok with other people having the ability to set up a level playing field in a multiplayer game that you wouldn't even want to participate in.

 

If you voted no, I would like to know why, so that I can understand any unforeseen problem there might be with this?

Edited by Pict

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pict said:

 

This is already a "feature", it's just not an option in the realism settings, which is all this poll is about...

 

Would you be ok with having the "technochat" as an option in the realism settings?

 

Yes

 

No

 

 

This poll has no bearing on the way the engine damage is modeled in-game...

 

 

This poll is not a question of whether you do or do not want to use the "technochat" feature.

 

=========================================================================

 

This poll is to see if you would be ok with those who do not want to use "technochat" having the ability to set up a "technochat" free environment in a multiplayer game...in the same way as can be done for external views, gps, unlimited ammo, etc., etc.,

 

If you vote no, this means that you are not ok with other people having the ability to set up a level playing field in a multiplayer game that you wouldn't even want to participate in.

 

If you voted no, I would like to know why, so that I can understand any unforeseen problem there might be with this?

 

I voted yes. I understand what the poll is about but I was just stating my personal opinion on why I would have trouble with not having it. I want the technochat to go away, it's one of the things I hate the most about this game but I understand why it's there at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I voted yes. I understand what the poll is about but I was just stating my personal opinion on why I would have trouble with not having it. I want the technochat to go away, it's one of the things I hate the most about this game but I understand why it's there at the same time.

 

You vote as you wish, hence the poll :)

 

I just thought you didn't get what this was all about and I was just trying to clarify it. As it's really not my intention to get into things like engine damage modelling as that can be somewhat subjective and at any rate has a habit of changing as things progress.

 

It's not as difficult as it first seems to fly without the "technochat" HUD & the cockpits are among the best and most functional in a combat sim out there, so to use them to the full only does the people who put the effort in to make them justice...at least that's my take on it and right now all I am using is a laptop, Track IR and an old MS Sidewinder stick as I'm doing a fair bit of travelling. You get back far more than you put in is how I find it.

 

Anyhow that's a big subject for a whole thread of it's own...in fact it would be interesting to hear from others as to how they successfully fly and fight without the HUD. I'm sure we could all benefit from such a discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.

 

Server host must have the choice of setup.

 

Player already has the choice to play in any given server or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm already flying without it, so yes !

Once you've learned how to correctly fly your plane and what is inside the cockpit, Technochat is almost useless. 

 

One thing that should absolutely come before this is made an option, is ensuring that everything can actually be checked in the cockpit. For example the bomb fuse arming : the fuse selection knob in german planes is still not animated.  (not sure if it is the most relevant example, since this feature is useless in the game, but that is the first one that comes to my mind) 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It would be great, just as an option for server administrator. It make you pay attention to the gauges inside the cockpit, it increases immersion.

Edited by bies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, for Rise of Flight fans lack of ability to turn off the technochat in realism options by server manager would be a big problem... a step back really. Unfortnatelly.

 

Since in Rise of Flight there was no technochat, you were using gauges, levers, plane behaviour to know if engine is working well, overheats etc. It was an immersion.

Here you would just dumbly wait fo a massage like: 10 min of fuel remains, or engine is overheating instead of looking at the gauges etc..

 

It would be a big step back, FC will be more visually appealing but less immersive and shallower than RoF and WWI community would divide.

More casual part for FC and more hardcore part would stay with RoF.

 

Jason, please don't do that to us, many people are faithful fans of 777 games since RoF, they are core of 777 success, please add an option in realism menu in IL2 BOX and make the people happy.

Like turn off GPS we already have which is "more than expert settings" but it exists and reasonable people are using it, navigate and have a ton of fun.

And thanks for all the work you have done untill now:fly:

 

Edited by kramer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please, i would love to have at least one realistic server i.e. TAW - with this tech chat locked.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I mostly fly WoL, I would be for WoL turning the techno chat off if it becomes an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2018 at 9:33 AM, kramer said:

Yes, for Rise of Flight fans lack of ability to turn off the technochat in realism options by server manager would be a big problem... a step back really. Unfortnatelly.

 

Not true. Technochat may be problem on WoL, but impact on WW1 planes would be marginal - they don't have that many controls to manage, and thing that kills engines is angle of attack, rather than mismanagement. This is a WW2 problem. 

I am in favour of having technochat split and leaving the options that would be obvious to pilot but are not obvious to player on. In essence, anything that is bound to controls - prop pitch, throttle, mixture, radiators. In cockpit the pilot uses physical controls that are easy to tell apart, a radiator lever is a radiator lever. In BoX... is that plane using axis-bound radiator or 110-style radiator? I'm flying Ju-87 first time in the month, where did I bind the airbrake? My mixture axis is spiking and I had to apply dead zones; position of quadrant lever does not tell me what mixture I have set. Technochat is useful to remember which parts of throttle quadrant / keyboard are bound in the plane. 

I'm also In favour of leaving the messages like "You're on fire, bail out" or "Elevator rods broken". It's something that no pilot would miss, but a player could. (In fact, I can feel elevator going limp via forcefeedback, but my friend with a Warthog can't. Technochat gives him plausible information I already have thanks to stick choice). 

 

So, these are a parts I'd rather have always available. I want to see if my controls do anything without going to binding menu in-flight.


OTOH, the helpers, telling you what engine setting you are using, warning you against using high engine setting for to long, telling you of low fuel level or fuel leak, or overheating / overcooling engine - these should be disabled server-side. Everybody should know if he's opening radiator or just pushing unbound button, but knowing when to open it should be left to players wits.

How would it be resolved? Same way as 2d gauges. With 2d gauges server setting on, we get compass, wind direction, speed, altitude and ammo levels. With 2d gauges off, we still get compass and wind direction (which people can turn off), but never the speed, altitude or ammo conters. Same could be done with technochat - we could get the server setting that, when turned off, leaves game controls readouts (people can turn these off) but takes off omniscient assistant.

Edited by LsV_Trupobaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

+1

I could literally pay my money like for another plane to have this option added for server managers. Flying without this tips chat is like playing completely new game.

And like old IL2 1946 virtual wars servers. One of best parts of my life.

Edited by SailorMcintosh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×