[DBS]airdoc

Camera operator issues

Trying to figure out the different uses of the camera operator, I 've come upon the following:

When using the "external fixed" on an object, the camera works essentially like an F4 camera, but the distance is bigger. When running it in Coop mode, one can actually use the zoom function, but this is not functional at single missions (no zoom). I also can't seem to set the coalition for this camera, nor place it differently. Coop is terrible for recording, because pilots and gunners are missing (bug?)

anyone have any experience using it?

EDIT:

Turns out "Lock" is the option preventing zooming, so it was not a MP vs SP issue.

Edited by [DBS]airdoc

Thanks Haash, bump for the SP vs MP.

There are other issues. JimTM posted the following:

" External Fixed
 - View is behind and above the object specified in "First Object". First object can be the camera itself or any object on the map (even if the camera operator translator can't see it).
 - You can change the camera position to change the view. E.g., if you want the view at ground level, place the camera underground by some amount (try -80m).
 - The viewpoint moves in sync with the object specified. E.g., As the plane moves forward, the view moves forward.
 - Once you press F12 to view the next camera operator (assuming the external fixed is the only one) the view goes to the camera position, wherever that may be.

"

How do I change the relative position of this camera?

How to change the coalition?

If this camera is fixed on an aircraft and I switch cameras (say move to F3) is it possible to move back to it?

Edited by [DBS]airdoc

18 minutes ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

How do I change the relative position of this camera?

See step 2 of "Create Views That a Mission Participant Can See" on pg. 54 of the editor manual.

How to change the coalition?

I believe the coalition is determined by the object in "First Object".

If this camera is fixed on an aircraft and I switch cameras (say move to F3) is it possible to move back to it?

I don't know. Give it a try.

Thanks for the input Jim

Using the manual's instruction does not lead to a change in relative position. I presume it only affects the static cameras.

It appears to be impossible to move back to this camera once switched.

cheers

34 minutes ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

Thanks for the input Jim

Using the manual's instruction does not lead to a change in relative position. I presume it only affects the static cameras.

It appears to be impossible to move back to this camera once switched.

cheers

You can't move the camera view at all in the editor? I was able to re-position two cameras using the procedure. However, the new views are static and do not follow the plane, although I can switch between cameras and cockpit at will. I tried triggering one camera and it follows the plane, however, it only shows a chase view (despite the new camera position) and once you leave the camera view, you cannot come back.

I was referring to repositioning the external fixed  camera relative to the object (aircraft). It doesn't work (ie I can't get it to track from above). Same as your findings for the rest.

thanks for your help

17 minutes ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

I was referring to repositioning the external fixed  camera relative to the object (aircraft). It doesn't work (ie I can't get it to track from above). Same as your findings for the rest.

thanks for your help

I hope we're talking about the same thing. Once you are in the view from the external fixed camera (step 2a), you can move the view anywhere and orient it in any way, (step 2b) just like you can re-position your Viewport view (pg. 13). Once you have the view that you want, you select "Copy Camera Position and Orientation to Object " (step 2c) and the camera is now in the new position. Then, when you run the mission, unfortunately, the new view is static. Let me know if I misunderstood you airdoc.

Edited by JimTM

I 'm talking about the camera that follows a moving aircraft (the chase view you mentioned above). This cannot be repositioned (it only follows the aircraft from behind) correct?

3 minutes ago, [DBS]airdoc said:

I 'm talking about the camera that follows a moving aircraft (the chase view you mentioned above). This cannot be repositioned (it only follows the aircraft from behind) correct?

I see now. Yes, the only way I can see to get the moving chase view is to trigger the camera. In the triggering case, you always get the chase view, no matter where you placed the camera.

Edited by JimTM