Sign in to follow this  
sc0ch

queries to AI flight leader?

If you get separated from the AI flight leader in the dynamic campaign, is there a command that allows you to query the flight leader for his location?

Additionally, is there a command to query the AI flight leader for their heading and engine settings?

Such queries are common in multiplayer and could be useful in single player.

Short answer, nope. You can close your eyes and imagine you're one of the unfortunate Russian pilots that didn't even have a radio at the beginning of the war. Not that it's a valid excuse for the game ...

Keep your labels on for such emergencies. If separated, proceed to the mission objective, you'll usually find the rest of the flight there. Get within 1km to a friendly plane to see the pilot's name. You can see the lead's name in the Mission Briefing (map).

AI engine settings: The absolute optimal settings for max nominal speed.

I mean, if my career experience so far is any indication.

3 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

AI engine settings: The absolute optimal settings for max nominal speed.

I mean, if my career experience so far is any indication.

I think they just follow the flight plan, you can see what speed you're supposed to have at each waypoint. They seem to respect that during cruise.

1 minute ago, Wolferl_1791 said:

I think they just follow the flight plan, you can see what speed you're supposed to have at each waypoint. They seem to respect that during cruise.

Not my flight leader...

10 minutes ago, Wolferl_1791 said:

German plane?

109e7. Always gotta run at combat to catch up, coordinated of course; then once I catch up, go to max nominal and put rads to minimum and I keep up just fine.

Don't have this problem in my Soviet career, where they tend to fly a bit more reasonable, and keep better formation.  Our 109 formation though is just a line of aircraft spread out over a few miles.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

1 minute ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

109e7. Always gotta run at combat to catch up, coordinated of course; then once I catch up, go to max nominal and put rads to minimum and I keep up just fine.

Thought so... Many people report problems with the 109 flights going full speed. I fly Russians and they usually cruise around at 50% throttle.

Edited by Wolferl_1791

Well, I hope they allow some queries to the AI flight leader eventually. 

I'd rather ask a scripted prompt over the radio, versus turning on labels.

It would likely improve playability and immersion.

• Upvote 1

In the 109 Gustavs the flightleader flies according to the flightplan, which means 460 or 470km/h. After some difficulties at first, I found out, that staying at max combat power after takeoff and cutting his turn from takeoff direction to flight direction, gets me to a pretty good position to follow the flight without staying at max climb- and combat power after reaching the flight altitude.

It has been mentioned that the AI routines are still a work in progress. AI commands really do need to be expanded. Flying as a wingman in a German campaign, I quickly found there was no way to warn my leader of danger or ask for help when the AI came at me. I was quickly shot down. Next time, he's on his own. I'll run up my score and get promotion at the same time. :)

Still, I do like flying formation. I've always enjoyed being the wingman more than the leader. I'm sure this will all be refined as time goes on. The new campaign engine is so very good, it just begs for better AI and the ability to communicate with them in a realistic way.

I don't know, if it has to do with the career mode or the version 3.001, but before I was flying mainly in PWCG and there I could call for help by shooting a green flare, what happens, when you press the key for 'Cover Me' as a flightleader. It helped me several times, but in the new career, I didn't have any success with it so far.