=SqSq=switch201

Mod Wish List

Probably this proposal was already discussed here but I did not find. My apologies if missed it.

Is it possible to make a mod which would allow us to put the glass on the cockpit instruments of the aircraft? I mean not advanced glasses with reflection of the surrounding reality. I am sure that it would be quite sufficient to have something easier made but good looking as it is in BoB and Silent Hunter 5 (with mod):

Снимок экрана (54).png

Снимок экрана (56).png

Edited by Aurelius
  • Upvote 4

If you mean reflections, then no not really. If you mean the sense that there is some glass, then yes.

• Like 1

47 минут назад, LizLemon сказал:

If you mean reflections,

I mean no reflection:

2 часа назад, Aurelius сказал:

I mean not advanced glasses with reflection of the surrounding reality.

Just some glass is desirable. I am sure is much better than nothing.:)

• Upvote 1

Randomized and more different Flak cloud 'puffs' would be nice. The ones from the higher calibers, I mean.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm missing or forgot something but hadn't the old 20 mm MG/FF 60 round drums? I'm playing a Bf-110 career at the moment and have 80 rnds on the counter, after a reload I've got 20 rnds as next.

Is this a feature or a bug and is it maybe changable/moddable by a change in a config? 

Everything is correct there, as 20 is 120. I think that on a real plane, it was thus displayed.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2020 at 12:33 PM, FoxbatRU said:
Everything is correct there, as 20 is 120. I think that on a real plane, it was thus displayed.

I was asking because in 'CoD' the 109 Emil had the same/a similar ammo counter and there was a 60 on the display for the 20mm.

Or I'm really so blind that I read the 60 on the 110's counter as a 80? Oh god...

Thanks.

Edited by vonGraf

Maybe not possible but if I don't ask how will I ever know?

Po-2:

* Ability to control plane from rear cockpit.  Possible implementation of Instructor/Student scenario? 

* Ability to have passenger jump out ala 1946 so you could drop "agents/spies".

These might not be historical but would add interesting mission options.

Ju-52:

* Ability to have landed paratroopers/cargo receive score if landing inside of Attack Area or similar MCU confines.  Could be a percentage or number, i.e. 6 out of 12 paratroopers, 7 out of 10 cargoes).  This could also apply to the Po-2 "agent/spy"..

If any or all of these have been asked for before I apologize for not finding the request.

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, Picchio said:

How about adding/modifying a squadron/plane set availability for the Career?

Specifically, I would like to be able to use the lovely Macchi in Kuban... has anyone tried something similar?

Ditto Missions.

Be able to fly the mission in any aircraft in your hangar. Perhaps only after you have completed the mission in the original aircraft.

and...

Unlimited Ammo modification: separate unlimited weapons

Unlimited Guns, check

Unlimited bombs, check

Unlimited rockets, check

I like strafing and I am a lousy shot*, so I go for unlimited ammo, but this can be a nuisance if I am flying a mission that requires bombs and/or rockets because the associated speed and drag penalty makes it difficult to manoeuvre. I want to ditch my bombs/rockets and then get back my speed and manoeuvrability to avoid the now awake flak gunners and defending aircraft. 

Runway Type/Length:

Give us a clue in QMB as to the runway type and length. Maybe on the map or a tool tip mouse thing when you hover over it. I spend time choosing my loadout skin enemy targets weather and time only to find that I cant get the plane off the ground on the lumpy little grass airfield that I have spawned on.

* better now with the gyro sights. Cheers, Devs 👍

Edited by Reggie_Mental
emphasis
  • Like 2

No higher frequency details on the clouds, hence the slightly blurry edges and lack of fine detail. Lighting needs to have some sort of backscattering added, so that too is about half finished. Skydome and light.bmp are trials. This is with the lacking default cloud maps.

2134767450_cloudexample.thumb.jpg.625d8ef7b81515165137b5b072114d34.jpg

I finally figured out how to get the game to load 2048x2048 ground tile textures. Stock the game is 512x512 which works out to ~1.56 meters per pixel. This is ~0.39 meters per pixel, or small enough that some tree trunks are wider. Keep in mind this is without any detail textures, wrong bump maps and textures that were formatted really quick.

ertrereret.thumb.jpg.6538bd26b52e850a6b4ed5f62c89b109.jpg

ertrewt.thumb.jpg.753cfdaa074b56f69ae133a07d720f80.jpg

ewtre.thumb.jpg.18f1848f6d3842c506c3029861f065d4.jpg

twertw.thumb.jpg.65230c91f9d02a8d95c30d74c9f0a569.jpg

wqerqwe.thumb.jpg.9e0dc3b1fb60d8c10b25f763b9400ba5.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LizLemon said:

I finally figured out how to get the game to load 2048x2048 ground tile textures. Stock the game is 512x512 which works out to ~1.56 meters per pixel. This is ~0.39 meters per pixel, or small enough that some tree trunks are wider. 

Have you found a way to get around the way the game blends adjacent pixels into one another on the ground to avoid obvious pixilation at ground level?  Even with  textures1024 pixels wide you don't gain the full clarity you'd expect compared to textures just 512 pixels wide.

HH

Everything in this game is annoying. The specular color is just the sun color/2. So you can have the correct color for direct sunlight on everything but have the wrong spec color. This isn't so obvious around noon.

2020_2_28__18_57_9.thumb.jpg.181019bec34fb41d97ba482d6bef2eff.jpg

Although it kinda is in the cockpit

iuuoy.thumb.jpg.21d16f9cf2cde296118a674071536519.jpg

But at sunrise and sunset this causes very cartoony colors

2020_2_28__17_52_41.thumb.jpg.14790256892739c2b0137b92074d4496.jpg

Especially in the cockpit

uuuuuuuuuuuu.thumb.jpg.4d38ea23b93b3ca8970e9dc9c79b598b.jpg

And speaking of specular - its broken on some buildings, which also have the same annoying spec color issue

ppppppppppppppppp.thumb.jpg.151be4c996ae0cf5fbd40d7935a520a0.jpg

Oh, and while we're on issues no one seems to have noticed; shadows aren't cast on the ground tiles at low sun angles. They are on the overlay textures though. (there may also be some wonky gamma issue going on with the terrain)

tiyuity.thumb.jpg.be3f547b884e59adeee3594e7737de04.jpgyertye.thumb.jpg.58483e22bbde1d83188606aa8ffdd27b.jpg

On the above images you'll have to open both in a new window and cycle through them to see the difference.

The game uses a cubemap to apply a fake GI to aircraft. This looks nice externally but its also applied to the cockpit, which unfortunately makes the cockpit lighting look wonky at low altitude.

cube.thumb.jpg.072f01b427c1aa001c65e2a8448f1cd3.jpg

While messing around with this, and trying to figure out a way to make it directional, like so...(which didn't work btw)

oyuoy.thumb.jpg.d8d1a6519b279647b0fa3a108c8db546.jpg

I realized something I hadn't noticed before. I don't think this game is doing proper energy conservation. Its so obvious, especially in the seats, I don't know why I didn't notice this before.

rtrwee.thumb.jpg.a8950be30aa9e13ba36c540d7d03ec6e.jpg

Making some very simple edits to approximate proper specular energy conservation shows some promising results. You can actually tell that these dials have different specular map levels now...

rtyrt.thumb.jpg.35a451f1ce1a4e19a3a0aa003dde322c.jpg

And that hideous super shiny fuel line in the 109 pit? Well know it looks more like a rubber hose, and that painted aluminum box looks right as well.

tyurty.thumb.jpg.ca3003b3009f3488fdf1a4b9ca56a6c8.jpg

All the different materials are starting to look how they should rather than everything being a shiny plastic.

ioutyi.thumb.jpg.755da0cba9c80a25977a396157e5c77f.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, LizLemon said:

Everything in this game is annoying. 

@LizLemon  One of many things life has taught me whilst working initially as a scientist (partly in optics labs), more lately as an artist/painter, and particularly when writing papers about the psychology of perception, is that the vast majority of human beings have very poor observational skills, notice very little about what is actually in front of them and that they largely see what they expect to see, so long as nothing blatantly contradicts those expectations. 

When creating any kind of "image" which purports to portray real life it is rarely about getting things "correct" in any scientific way, but far more about avoiding things that jump out as obviously wrong. Add into this the fact that everybody has different "misconceptions" about what actually looks right and in most cases the way to please the greatest number of people is to intentionally "fudge" finer aspects and leave things imprecise  so that their own expectations take over and fill in "missing" information without them even realising that is what is happening in their own minds.

Claiming that "everything about this game is annoying" may reflect how you feel, but remember it is a voluntary hobby for us customers and a business for the developers.

If you have a strong interest in the behaviour of light and a detailed understanding of how it can be modelled digitally then there certainly are plenty of minor things that aren't perfect which folk like you and I will notice, but most people won't.  The devs certainly achieve a lot for a small team and they seem to do a better job than their competitors working with bigger budgets.

There's been a lot of fuss recently about the new night lighting in DCS where in spite of all the praise for it, the vidoes I've seen of it make it look woefully artificial and "video-gamey", that said I've always felt the lighting in DCS was "dead" where surfaces just seem to eat the light. That said I've watched multi-million dollar blockbuster Hollywood movies with special effects which take  hours per frame to initially render; others go on about how great the effects look and when I say what about  X,Y,Z that all look wrong I'm met with blank looks of confusion as if I'm mad. Just one example would be when WETA switched from being predominantly physical miniature based effects and large sized sets for Lord of the Rings, to ever more more digital work for the Hobbit, they ruined the look of the locations in the movies for me... others just don't see it.

We just have to accept that we are in minority in paying as much attention to the workings and look of this sim. In short I was drawn to ROF because it handled light far better than anything else I'd seen and IL-2 has built on that... The first time I flew over a field of lavender and picked up the subtle purple tint of reflected light colouring the underneath of the upper wing in my camel I was blown away thinking who needs ray tracing if the IL-2 game engine can do that without... However that is another story altogether!

I enjoy tinkering to try and refine things more to my own tastes, but should I ever find that tinkering become "annoying" I'll just find another hobby.

HH

• Upvote 1

@ HH, I totally agree about how us humans perceive things differently.  that's what makes it so hard for you, Liz. rowdy etc. to get things "looking right".  But thank all of you for your efforts.  IMO you and everyone else who has tried to make the game look better are doing an excellent job and as purely a consumer, I really appreciate that my world is perhaps the best looking flight sim world out there currently.

@ Liz, re; screenshot 2, Things look a lot better for a lot longer with just a pinch more altitude...LOL!  Thanks for you continued research and experimenting.  We hare better off for it.

• Thanks 1

I finally figured out why lighting in this game bothers me so much, and here I was thinking it was just the HDR to blame.

After messing around a bit with the tonemapper I decided to do a straight gamma 2.2 conversion (I'm like 95% sure this game is doing everything in linear, like most games, but I look forward to finding some place where its not....) Anyways a straight gamma 1>2.2 produces an image that is crazy bright. It turns out the stock game isn't converting things to a proper output gamma, which is obvious if you know where to look;

1828206345_notgammacorrect2.thumb.jpg.b009f9c5a4b0597e536f134a34bd442e.jpg

Now some might say the above is fine, or even great looking, but its a sign that things aren't being converted to the proper gamma. Cylinders like that actually have a fairly strong terminator line, like so

Oil-Storage-tanks.thumb.jpg.9036c6c4e6c61cebe9c7f2298ada052b.jpg

Adjusting the lighting so gamma can be converted to 2.2 and still produce a respectable exposure gets things right;

1790409947_gammacorrect.thumb.jpg.5e14384c47fec49006aba67c044ffc3d.jpg

Doing correct gamma adjustment also fixes some of the more annoying issues that pop up elsewhere, like the radioactive grass soviet russia seemed to be covered with - and before they even had a nuclear accident!

rtyryr.thumb.jpg.8c11d204d2e7d667e90e7cd1428049d2.jpg

Or the strong soviet wood that glows all on its own

rtyrey.thumb.jpg.d190d4cbd87fa3c5e1940380e001d70b.jpg

Doing this also ends up with frame buffer that covers most of the histogram, meaning that a nice toe and should can be added without crushing the shadows like the stock HDR does.

9849847.thumb.jpg.f89af9c5b013e1f03d4adb2e84cb3a98.jpg

It also results in a much more reasonable tonal range overall. Thins look more like they should and less, how should I put this, oblivionesque

2020_3_7__23_0_45.thumb.jpg.854552b8898daab0989a2c8f315ede07.jpg

Even the trees look better

988888888888.thumb.jpg.df85d374ce16317c38f854b12ae2bcb3.jpg

On the downside, there are a few emissive textures that have to be changed now, but thats no biggie. I can finally get a nice full histogram to grade instead of dealing with half the image not being there.

798787.thumb.jpg.689ef70d49e83df0d0326e09be8b38a0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

I finally figured out why lighting in this game bothers me so much, and here I was thinking it was just the HDR to blame.

After messing around a bit with the tonemapper I decided to do a straight gamma 2.2 conversion (I'm like 95% sure this game is doing everything in linear, like most games, but I look forward to finding some place where its not....) Anyways a straight gamma 1>2.2 produces an image that is crazy bright. It turns out the stock game isn't converting things to a proper output gamma, which is obvious if you know where to look;

1828206345_notgammacorrect2.thumb.jpg.b009f9c5a4b0597e536f134a34bd442e.jpg

Now some might say the above is fine, or even great looking, but its a sign that things aren't being converted to the proper gamma. Cylinders like that actually have a fairly strong terminator line, like so

Oil-Storage-tanks.thumb.jpg.9036c6c4e6c61cebe9c7f2298ada052b.jpg

Adjusting the lighting so gamma can be converted to 2.2 and still produce a respectable exposure gets things right;

1790409947_gammacorrect.thumb.jpg.5e14384c47fec49006aba67c044ffc3d.jpg

Doing correct gamma adjustment also fixes some of the more annoying issues that pop up elsewhere, like the radioactive grass soviet russia seemed to be covered with - and before they even had a nuclear accident!

rtyryr.thumb.jpg.8c11d204d2e7d667e90e7cd1428049d2.jpg

Or the strong soviet wood that glows all on its own

rtyrey.thumb.jpg.d190d4cbd87fa3c5e1940380e001d70b.jpg

Doing this also ends up with frame buffer that covers most of the histogram, meaning that a nice toe and should can be added without crushing the shadows like the stock HDR does.

9849847.thumb.jpg.f89af9c5b013e1f03d4adb2e84cb3a98.jpg

It also results in a much more reasonable tonal range overall. Thins look more like they should and less, how should I put this, oblivionesque

On the downside, there are a few emissive textures that have to be changed now, but thats no biggie. I can finally get a nice full histogram to grade instead of dealing with half the image not being there.

798787.thumb.jpg.689ef70d49e83df0d0326e09be8b38a0.jpg

Great, glad you figure it out, smart man you are, but what is practical use of it for us? I woud like to see it as you do.

Can we get a better Menu screen? I like being in the hanger and all. But is there a way to have the aircraft outside on the ramp instead? Preferably while its sunny? 

Kinda boring being in a bland hanger after a while. Thanks

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, [TDH]Meankitty731 said:

Can we get a better Menu screen? I like being in the hanger and all. But is there a way to have the aircraft outside on the ramp instead? Preferably while its sunny? 

Kinda boring being in a bland hanger after a while. Thanks

But they put the X-mas tree and the rocket in the hanger. :crazy: 

Ghost666 said, " But is there a way to have the aircraft outside on the ramp instead? Preferably while its sunny?  ".

It's for our own good.  They want to make sure we 'Shelter In Place' for a few weeks.

You can never be too safe.  😉

• Haha 2

Very simple fix for the stars that are missing in the sky - notably Betelgeuse in Orion. Drop this into; IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data and overwrite the existing PPMbin.dat.

This should work in mods on.

PPMbin.zip

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LizLemon said:

Very simple fix for the stars that are missing in the sky - notably Betelgeuse in Orion. Drop this into; IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data and overwrite the existing PPMbin.dat.

This should work in mods on.

PPMbin.zip 46.51 kB · 0 downloads

Nice. Thanks Liz 

On 3/8/2020 at 11:05 AM, LizLemon said:

Liz, this is amazing work! The lack of conservation of E and the weird tonemapper had me thinking the lighting was done in gamma space. Where did you find the tonemapper? Could you release this as a mod? I'm frothing over here and need it. 😅

Gosh can't believe I didn't see this post back in March!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:20 PM, peregrine7 said:

Liz, this is amazing work! The lack of conservation of E and the weird tonemapper had me thinking the lighting was done in gamma space. Where did you find the tonemapper? Could you release this as a mod? I'm frothing over here and need it. 😅

Gosh can't believe I didn't see this post back in March!

I'm using 3dmigoto to edit the shaders but it should be possible to recompile the games shaders instead - someone did that in RoF.

I haven't been doing any graphics modding lately on account of the deferred update. When that hits I'll get back to it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ditto on the need.

gimmie! ;)

• Haha 1

After 4.006, I want a mod that returned old scratches on the windows of the cabin lantern.🤔

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, FoxbatRU said:

After 4.006, I want a mod that returned old scratches on the windows of the cabin lantern.🤔

But I hope it is a higher resolution scratches, so as not to look fake at certain angles. 

Edited by Oyster_KAI
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2018 at 2:38 PM, =SqSq=switch201 said:

This is my mod Wish List. It is also my somewhat my development wishlist too, but these are things I think (I hope I don't really know 100%) can be done with mods.

1) faster career mission start: basically, have air start put you closer to the objective.

2) new mission types.

3) performance mod: a mod that reduces the number of planes (both sides) in career missions. 

4) Could we mod separate fuel tanks???? in theory it seems simple but I am sure it is not. 

5) Finish career mission simulation mod: again this one would be hard, but it would be cool if I could finish a career mission and have the rest of the actions "simulated". This could be as simple as counting the number of planes left in the air and randomly killing off a few. I just want something so I don't have to wait for the rest of my flight to finish after I have bailed out.

6) can't think of any more, but I am sure other people have ideas. 

1   Is in PWCG campaign generator
2   Plenty in PWCG campaign generator

3   Is in PWCG campaign generator

4   Not in any mod or PWCG campaign generator

5   Is in PWCG campaign generator

• Upvote 1

beautiful, impressive and powerful sound of Yak engines for more immersion

On 2/13/2020 at 7:46 AM, Reggie_Mental said:

Unlimited Ammo modification: separate unlimited weapons

Unlimited Guns, check

Unlimited bombs, check

Unlimited rockets, check

I like strafing and I am a lousy shot*, so I go for unlimited ammo, but this can be a nuisance if I am flying a mission that requires bombs and/or rockets because the associated speed and drag penalty makes it difficult to manoeuvre. I want to ditch my bombs/rockets and then get back my speed and manoeuvrability to avoid the now awake flak gunners and defending aircraft. 

I agree on this mod.  It would be great to have unlimited guns but limited underwing ordinance.  Or as an alternate, have unlimited everything, but if you JETTISON your underwing stores rather than just using/dropping/firing them, they don't respawn.  That really would be the best of both worlds IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DudleyAz said:

I agree on this mod.  It would be great to have unlimited guns but limited underwing ordinance.  Or as an alternate, have unlimited everything, but if you JETTISON your underwing stores rather than just using/dropping/firing them, they don't respawn.  That really would be the best of both worlds IMO.

Agreed, jettison with no respawn would be good.

Agreed too

Be able to buy properties.. I want my little farm somewhere with a tent  shop for the aircraft... :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I would like to have a mod that limits the minimum ZOOM. At the minimum ZOOM, it is convenient to see a large area of the sky, but the feeling of a tight cabin disappears. But since without the maximum ZOOM it is very difficult to seek out targets, then I can’t completely abandon the ZOOM.
I tried to pick the file
cameracockpit.cfg, but nothing worked for me.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:05 AM, LizLemon said:

The overall lighting is much more realistic with your 'messing around'.

Instead of watching ground textures with 3d objects and trees on top of it everything seems to blend better now. There is more cohesion/ unity.

(In old IL2:1946 I preferred to fly in early morning. The slight haze made everything blend well.)

On 5/10/2020 at 11:01 PM, LizLemon said:

I haven't been doing any graphics modding lately on account of the deferred update. When that hits I'll get back to it.

Good to know you return to the lighting and gamma adjustments.

I can't wait to try it out myself.

Is there a way to slow down things like smoke plumes and wave speed? The smoke plumes from destroyed objects and ship stacks move really fast and looks out of scale. The same thing applies to the waves in the water especially around the shorelines. The waves around the shorelines look huge and move very fast.

I am not using HDR as well..

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Danziger said:

Is there a way to slow down things like smoke plumes and wave speed? The smoke plumes from destroyed objects and ship stacks move really fast and looks out of scale. The same thing applies to the waves in the water especially around the shorelines. The waves around the shorelines look huge and move very fast.

Going off of memory its either randomlife in the .txt files for effects or duration in the luascripts. I haven't messed with effects since the new effects update a few patches back though.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:38 PM, FoxbatRU said:

I would like to have a mod that limits the minimum ZOOM. At the minimum ZOOM, it is convenient to see a large area of the sky, but the feeling of a tight cabin disappears. But since without the maximum ZOOM it is very difficult to seek out targets, then I can’t completely abandon the ZOOM.
I tried to pick the file
cameracockpit.cfg, but nothing worked for me.

In data\LuaScripts\cameras? It might be camerasight or cameraheadfree, but its is there.

Edited by LizLemon
  • Thanks 2