=SqSq=switch201

Mod Wish List

Make sure these AI idiots do not turn on their lights as soon as they come near their base, and even when it is attacked.

++

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, PatCartier said:

Make sure these AI idiots do not turn on their lights as soon as they come near their base, and even when it is attacked.

++

You need to ask Jason nicely for this one. Those lights are way too bright from distance and the AI should have a routine for turning them off when under threat. Shouldn't be a mod, should be in the game already.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PatCartier said:

++

I took a crack at trying to mod these so they wouldn't be so bright (always been a pet peeve of mine to see these), but I couldn't figure out how to make that happen with just altering the image files I could find.  I suspect it would require some changes by the devs, or someone smarter/luckier than me.

Well those are actual lights, not textures, which means you're talking again about the lighting/render engine so it stands to reason that modding is not possible there.

Adjusting normal/specular maps as Mith mentioned out above, is not really adjusting lighting, but materials and how they receive lighting.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Well those are actual lights, not textures, which means you're talking again about the lighting/render engine so it stands to reason that modding is not possible there.

Is the icon data part of the lighting/render engine? Or can that be modded?

Edited by busdriver

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

It's not, but as far as modding I'm not sure.

Lefuneste's Migoto mod for VR (also functional for flat screens) has an option which masks out object icons when the FOV is blocked by the airframe, and there's a setting in one of the attached shader txt files where you can disable icon text, so that only the marker triangle is displayed IIRC. Dunno whether it's possible to fully customize icons that way, though. Anyway, this mod doesn't require the 'mods on' mode to work, so you can use it on any server without restriction.

11 hours ago, busdriver said:

What aspect of the icons do you want to change? Migoto mod deals with rendering to some extent. Perhaps it's possible to change the marker triangle image. Altering the numerical data that's displayed with the icons seems difficult. 

Icon customization options as we had them in 1946 are a case in point for what would or could be desirable. I mean change marker image, hide/show marker image when distance is greater/less than X, hide/show text data when distance is greater/less than X, ideally it would be also great to select what kind of text is displayed (a combination or any of plane type, distance, pilot name or squad name).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

What aspect of the icons do you want to change?  

I simply want to reduce the clutter so I'd want to 1) remove aircraft type, 2) remove range data, 3) limit the AI identification to my flight (probably impossible to do). Or stated differently, I'd limit icons to a basic triangle and include a flight position (a number not AI pilot name). I'd be okay with just a triangle or dot.

Yeah that's all 'under the hood' stuff.

7 hours ago, busdriver said:

I simply want to reduce the clutter so I'd want to 1) remove aircraft type, 2) remove range data, 3) limit the AI identification to my flight (probably impossible to do). Or stated differently, I'd limit icons to a basic triangle and include a flight position (a number not AI pilot name). I'd be okay with just a triangle or dot.

I think the Migoto mod can do 1 and 2. 

3 is unlikely. 

We could probably change the triangle to a dot or some other shape. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd be curious if 1 and 2 were doable.

2 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

I think the Migoto mod can do 1 and 2. 

3 is unlikely. 

Do you think it would be possible to limit icons to just the triangle or a dot (remove all data)?

Posted (edited)
On 13/04/2018 at 8:10 PM, DD_Crash said:

Would it be possible to have configurable icon settings like in 1946?

This would be a major benifit to online players

Edited by dd_delta7

On 19. 3. 2018 at 11:35 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Higher resolution headrest cushion in Bf-109 series.

Finer tracer textures for distant gunfire

+1

Better looking "woobling" tracers and smoke lines for all guns

On 6/28/2018 at 9:50 AM, RickVic said:

Better looking "woobling" tracers and smoke lines for all guns

Tracers don't wobble. That's a camera effect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Tracers don't wobble. That's a camera effect.

Remember all the threads on that back in the day?

45 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Remember all the threads on that back in the day?

Oh yes, going all the way back to the days of B-17II.

Ahh, the tracers in B17 2 were great

As others have mentioned, a put your face here pilot skin option would be a nice touch and would be at the top of my list, hopefully it's a relatively simple texture extraction related Mod. Consider me vain but I do like to see me sitting in my ride of choice, it's the same reason I choose to fly in planes with historically accurate yet generic skins and not those of some known pilot.

4K damage textures sounds like a nice idea, however I fear as these are all aeroplane type specific it would require a truck load of work to pull it off for them all.   

Due to the main HUD's large banner size, early on I hid it and ever since then no matter what settings I've chosen (even tried setting things back to default), I've not been able to get it back, so instead I just resorted to flying on instruments, which in the long run I guess is the more realistic way anyway and now I don't miss it at all, but it would be nice if the map (M) was not linked to the other hidden items and could be hidden and un-hidden separately, but that's a coding thing and not a mod.