WesleyWestland

Captured pilot

Hello everyone,

As I'm not a very experienced fighter pilot, I chose not to use Iron Man mode when I started my career. However, my poor pilot has been captured and I don't seem to have an option to get him out. Is there a way of asking my squadron to come and liberate me or to redo the latest flight? I thought the point of not using Iron Man mode was that you could redo flights if you were captured or killed... Would be a shame to have a successful (for my standards) career end after only three days.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Wesley.

You need to replay the mission BEFORE hitting the finish button. Take that to heart with your next pilot in your next campaign. This one is lost for the war and will not return home before 1949 (if he is german) :P

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

You need to replay the mission BEFORE hitting the finish button. Take that to heart with your next pilot in your next campaign. This one is lost for the war and will not return home before 1949 (if he is german) :P

yes this.. i lost few good started campaigns to learn it

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Aww, so he spent two years as a mechanic only to be a pilot for three days? That’s a real disappointment. And I was doing so well... :(

Thanks for the hint, they could’ve labelled that a bit more clearly. Wonder if I can edit the save somewhere.

Wesley, bear it like a man. And by the way: a Carreer of 3 days cannot be called "successful" yet anyway.

Which GULAG are you in? Maybe you'll meet my own first pilot...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

Also if he is Russian. If he survives captivity in Germany the Russians say "thanks for your service" by shipping him straight to the Gulag.

1 hour ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

And by the way: a Carreer of 3 days cannot be called "successful" yet anyway.

I crash-landed behind enemy lines just after shooting down my fourth aircraft of the career, which is quite successful in my book. Not all of us are born aces. I’ve been playing for quite a long time, but I keep losing sight of the enemy in dogfights.

1 hour ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Also if he is Russian. If he survives captivity in Germany the Russians say "thanks for your service" by shipping him straight to the Gulag.

It was a German. I figured the Bf 109 F-4 would be a nice starting point for a new career, no need to worry about radiators or propellers.

Let’s hope Soviet POW food is half decent. :P

48 minutes ago, WesleyWestland said:

I crash-landed behind enemy lines just after shooting down my fourth aircraft of the career, which is quite successful in my book.

Give yourself some time, Wesley. The victories come over time, even when you fly rather defensive and careful.
With a kill-rate like that, you will always fall early - or get captured.
I KNOW what I'm talking about. I am unpatient just like you - and I never get very far.

Not all of us are born aces. I’ve been playing for quite a long time, but I keep losing sight of the enemy in dogfights.

Trust me - that sounds all very familiar. Let them "natural born aces" do it their way - and you and I should perhaps learn to be more careful?

I'm losing sight all the time. And that's on good days. On bad days I find nobody I COULD even lose sight of... Mmuahahahahaaa!!! :crazy:

Edited by Wolfram-Harms

It'd be nice if your pilot had a % chance to escape or avoid being captured and make his way back to friendly territory. Could be similar to being wounded. If the escape/avoiding capture is successful you could be out of action for days or longer until you get back to your unit.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LsV_Jakob said:

The Career is great, feels like a good old RoF.

Two things that are not that great:

- The mini map - it's only available in the Normal mode. Once I go for Expert, there's only the big full-screen map. Why is the mini map not available in the Expert mode?

- The "GPS" - setting the Expert difficulty is not enough to get rid of this. Needed to go for Custom and uncheck everything except Warmed up engine. Why is the GPS available in the Expert mode?

These two problems combined create an absurd situation (on Expert setting):

"No, you can't have the mini-map at hand all the time, buddy. Finding your way would be too easy, like cheating! But don't worry, buddy. Once you hit O, we'll give you your exact location. That's not cheating."  :rolleyes:

And one more annoying thing in general - awfully jaggy planes when flying through/very close to a cloud. Otherwise I'm very happy with the Career as it is... :happy:

38 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

It'd be nice if your pilot had a % chance to escape or avoid being captured and make his way back to friendly territory. Could be similar to being wounded. If the escape/avoiding capture is successful you could be out of action for days or longer until you get back to your unit.

Excellent idea!

On 19-3-2018 at 12:43 AM, Wolfram-Harms said:

Give yourself some time, Wesley. The victories come over time, even when you fly rather defensive and careful.
I KNOW what I'm talking about. I am unpatient just like you - and I never get very far.

I’ve been trying this, and pilot No 2 has made it through his first week without injuries. He’s also received an Iron Cross 2nd class, so I’d say it’s going pretty well. I did however break three 109s; one friendly by running him over on takeoff, and two of my own by mixing up the brake button and gear retract button... I’m used to flying in FSX, where I had my brakes mapped to the trigger. At least no-one got killed. :)

Unfortunately I`m a sucker for punishment. Been captured twice and killed twice.

Still sticking to Ironman...

I dont think some of the statements above are correct. In ironman,  you cannot restart a mission,  in any event. Outside of ironman,  you can restart..but only before hittin "finish mission". Do the latter,  and the outcome is irreversible.

On 18/03/2018 at 3:01 PM, sevenless said:

If he is german. If he is russian,  his prisioner surviveability statistics are  pretty slim!

• Upvote 1

if captured, front career screen GUI, click on the photo pilot card, bottom left corner should be a restart button.

pilotrestartcareer.thumb.jpg.9150d81d7498de9d94b84ea234dac6d6.jpg

IMO you shouldn't get captured every time you drop behind enemy lines. Afaik it was quite common to escape capture if you didn't land too close to enemy units. More like 50% or less to get captured. 

56 minutes ago, WesleyWestland said:

break three 109s

Speaking of which, are there any penalties to losing too many pilots/planes at too frequent intervals? I never got to the point where I had to worry about losing too much, but I've been wondering if there would be any negative effects and how long they might last? 

I've only recently started a new Russian campaign flying the Yak-1s. Considering at least +30k were built I was thinking about just spamming as many fighters I could per sortie. You know, Zerg rush. 

These wooden wonders just seems so ripe for Zerging all over the front. 

EDIT: Also is there a way to transfer out of a squadron? 

Edited by MarderIV

58 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

IMO you shouldn't get captured every time you drop behind enemy lines. Afaik it was quite common to escape capture if you didn't land too close to enemy units. More like 50% or less to get captured. 

But your chances to escape should be less if you are wounded or if you land close to the enemy units. 

Once in carrer I have to bail out and my pilot land on the enemy ZiS truck :)

Edited by AlienAlienzo

19 minutes ago, MarderIV said:

Speaking of which, are there any penalties to losing too many pilots/planes at too frequent intervals? I never got to the point where I had to worry about losing too much, but I've been wondering if there would be any negative effects and how long they might last?

It would be pretty hilarious if you could screw up a career so badly that you get transferred to an Il-2 penal squadron where you fly suicide missions against armies of flak until you die or distinguish yourself sufficiently to be transferred back out

My most painful experience was the first career.

Ml. Lt. Kuznetsov, 27 IAP, flew eight sorties from the very beginning of the Battle of Moscow. During these eight missions, 14 fascist aircraft were shot down! During a fateful morning on the 24th October, Kuznetsov did not return from a mission. The last sight was of Kuznetsov chasing a Bf-109 through a formation of Il-2s, when a swerving Il-2 collided with his MiG-3. One parachute was seen, the Il-2 pilot was killed.

53 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I think the odds of being captured would have to vary based on a couple of things.

Landing 150m from friendly lines and landing 80km behind enemy lines are two very different situations.

As other people have pointed out, landing near enemy units or being wounded would make capture more likely

Whether the civilians living behind enemy lines are friendly or hostile to you would also make a huge difference. Many of the oft-repeated USAAF escape-and-evade stories occurred because French civilians hid and helped downed allied pilots. They faced a very different experience if shot down over Germany.

I was going to ask a question, is it possible to have more than one parallel career and the answer is yes!

Now a point of history, all food in pow camps is terrible if any. Soldier food is terrible. And in German camp millions of soviet soldiers died in horrible condition if not in medical experiments or by hunger (lack of or no food) and the same with the Germans how where send to the weather conditions of the east of Russia many did not come back (some escaped and died). Do not forget that a son of Stalin how was a pilot did die in captivity. 

War is no fun but this game is! :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

Sure it would depend on a lot of factors if you get captured or not. but to get captured all the time when going down in enemy territory even if far away from any ground troops is putting the joy down a bit. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Sure it would depend on a lot of factors if you get captured or not. but to get captured all the time when going down in enemy territory even if far away from any ground troops is putting the joy down a bit. 

The people who run Random Expert did a great system to simulate that. From il2expert.ru:

If a pilot lands alive into enemy territory, they either make their way back to friendly lines or are captured.

The probability of capture depends on how far from friendly lines have you landed (the further, the least chances of returning), the pilot's health (the more wounded, the least chances of returning), and the weather (the colder it is, the harder it gets to return).

How are these factors accounted for

The first thing is to measure the distance from the landing site to the nearest enemy position. If the enemies are closer than 5km, then you have no chance of returning.

If there are no enemies within 5km, the pilot's status is looked at:

• Uninjured: highest chance of returning;
  • Lightly injured: half the chance of returning compared to uninjured pilots;
  • Heavily injured: no chance of returning;
  • Dead: you are dead!;

Finally, the distance between the landing spot and the frontlines comes into play. A healthy pilot has a chance of returning if they are at most 30km away from friendly lines in warm weather (from the second half of spring to the first half of autumn), and at most 10km away in cold weather (from the second half of autumn until the first half of spring). For slightly injured pilots, the numbers are 15km in warm and 5km in cold weather.

Finally, the distance between the landing spot and the frontlines comes into play. A healthy pilot has a chance of returning if they are at most 30km away from friendly lines in warm weather (from the second half of spring to the first half of autumn), and at most 10km away in cold weather (from the second half of autumn until the first half of spring). For slightly injured pilots, the numbers are 15km in warm and 5km in cold weather.

For example, a healthy pilot's chance of returning after landing within 1km of friendly lines is close to 100%, while a wounded pilot who landed 4,5km from the frontlines has very small odds of returning.

On top of that, it would be realistic (though unfair from a gaming point of view) to add a higher chance of returning for Soviet pilots because a great amount of them did so thanks to the local population and partisan networks. To put it mildly there wasn't much sympathy for German pilots found in the wild by local residents - they would either get ratted out, or given a proper beating before being ratted out.

Edited by 216th_Lucas_From_Hell
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 216th_Lucas_From_Hell said:

My most painful experience was the first career.

Ml. Lt. Kuznetsov, 27 IAP, flew eight sorties from the very beginning of the Battle of Moscow. During these eight missions, 14 fascist aircraft were shot down! During a fateful morning on the 24th October, Kuznetsov did not return from a mission. The last sight was of Kuznetsov chasing a Bf-109 through a formation of Il-2s, when a swerving Il-2 collided with his MiG-3. One parachute was seen, the Il-2 pilot was killed.

My most painful experience was the first career, too.

Ml. Lt. Stepanovich, 34 IAP, flew 19 sorties from the very beginning of the Battle of Moscow. During these 19 missions, he shot down 30 fascist aircraft, and was promoted to Lt. On a fateful afternoon on the 14th November, Lt. Stepanovich was returning from a mission with depleted ammo and followed by his comrades chased by a single Macchi fighter. Lt. Stepanovich made a perfect landing and was rolling out on the runway, when the enemy fighter pilot, obviously feeling a strong desire to act in the spirit of Italian samurais, voluntarily impacted on the runway some 30 m behind the slowly rolling plane of Lt. Stepanovich. The blast of the explosion killed Lt. Stepanovich in an instant, damaging his plane only moderately. It was a tragic loss, the VVS deeply mourned its most successful fighter pilot.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 216th_Jordan said:

I'd agree with that. I've gone down VERY close to friendly lines, and having no chance of evading capture is frustrating

1 hour ago, 216th_Lucas_From_Hell said:

The people who run Random Expert did a great system to simulate that. From il2expert.ru:

Thats a neat system! A few thoughts however: I'd think it should be more like 3km max from enemy units where you have a slim chance of evading capture and a 500 m radius where you have no chance at all to get away. The 5km from RE stem from the only 4-6 ground unit groups placed per side in a mission, in the career mode you'd normally have 20-40 ground groups per side so you'd be in a lot of trouble if you were close to the frontline.

Also, In summer I'd presume a maximum travel distance of 50km to still be managable, especially if you found support from friendly civilians. I read some stories of pilots taking 3 days or even longer to return to friendly lines. In winter of course chances are slim with the likelyness to freeze to death quite quickly.

Apart from that the system is really nice.

It says my pilot was "Captured and forced into an underground male prostitution ring."  :blink:

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2018 at 7:43 PM, Wolfram-Harms said:

Eh, my dear Sergey Doronin managed 65 kills over 37 flights before his luck ran out. (lost elevator controls and lift from one wing at low altitude, snapped and spun with no time to bail) Then again, given how many P-39s I went through in that career, I'm astonished the NKVD didn't kill him first. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

if captured, front career screen GUI, click on the photo pilot card, bottom left corner should be a restart button.

pilotrestartcareer.thumb.jpg.9150d81d7498de9d94b84ea234dac6d6.jpg

This button makes my game freeze, sadly. I’ve already reported it as a bug, but haven’t heard anything back. Ended up cycling through the pictures to create a near clone of my pilot. Pilot Wesley #1 will remain to remind me of my failure. :(

5 hours ago, MarderIV said:

EDIT: Also is there a way to transfer out of a squadron? 

Yes, if you open the map tab in your unit’s headquarters (forgot the name of it) you can click on the bases in the area, and from there you can choose another unit to join.

• Thanks 1

Base recovery chance = 50%

Distance from front = variable, increasing from 0 for 100km (no chance) up to 2.0 for 0 km (max chance)

Wounded factor = 0.75 for light wound, 0.25 for medium wound, 0 for heavy wound (no chance)

GroundEnemy present = variable, increasing from  0 (no chance) for 1 km up to 1 for 10 km

Faction factor = 1 for Russian, 0.75 for Axis (germans don't get help from the civilians)

Weather factor = increased chance in bad weather, decreased chance in winter (cold temperature)

Time factor = increases chance at dusk (incoming night), decreases at dawn.

Wolves = some randomness

Final formula:

Chance = Base * Distance * Wounded * GroundEnemy * Faction * Weather * Time * Wolves

There ya' go.

Edited by Wolferl_1791
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Wolferl_1791 said:

Base recovery chance = 50%

Distance from front = variable, increasing from 0 for 100km (no chance) up to 2.0 for 0 km (max chance)

Wounded factor = 0.75 for light wound, 0.25 for medium wound, 0 for heavy wound (no chance)

GroundEnemy present = variable, increasing from  0 (no chance) for 1 km up to 1 for 10 km

Faction factor = 1 for Russian, 0.75 for Axis (germans don't get help from the civilians)

Weather factor = increased chance in bad weather, decreased chance in winter (cold temperature)

Time factor = increases chance at dusk (incoming night), decreases at dawn.

Wolves = some randomness

Final formula:

Chance = Base * Distance * Wounded * GroundEnemy * Faction * Weather * Time * Wolves

There ya' go.

This idea is just brilliant. I absolutely supported !!!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Also, In summer I'd presume a maximum travel distance of 50km to still be managable, especially if you found support from friendly civilians. I read some stories of pilots taking 3 days or even longer to return to friendly lines. In winter of course chances are slim with the likelyness to freeze to death quite quickly.

Apart from that the system is really nice.

There are some really great stories of pilots(Soviet) taking weeks to get back to their regiments.  Turning up filthy, long-haired, bandaged, faces still blistered from burns sustained in the crash, dressed in civilian clothes given by peasants.

I had no idea the system on Random Expert was so complex, that's very cool.

On 3/18/2018 at 3:53 PM, WesleyWestland said:

Let’s hope Soviet POW food is half decent. :P

They say everything is better with sawdust.

• Sad 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Legioneod said:

Desastersoft did that for you ;) yeah it would be cool if you had a chance for escape

Are you sure there isn`t a chance for escape? i`ll have to test.

The original IL2 didn`t let you escape if you landed in enemy territory but many of us and I petitioned Oleg that there should be a chance and to our surprise he implemented it. Really added to the immersion.

3 minutes ago, seafireliv said:

Are you sure there isn`t a chance for escape?

Positive

13 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Positive

Thanks for the response, but how are you so sure? Do you have a link confirming this?

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol, Escape Artist is must :P

Somewhat crashland 15km or less from the frontline should have a chance, if possible, to make back to friendly lines.

Would be neat, but no deal if it never gets interest to be included.