New Gaming Monitor Suggestions

Was thinking about getting a new 24 inch monitor was looking for some suggestions. Have been reading some good things about Dells, Asus and BenQ. Would like to stay in the $300-$400. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I couldn't recommand more my Samsung Syncmaster SA850...27", full leds, reso 2560X1440...best screen investment i've ever done so far.

But a bit more money than you want to spend. 

get an LED (they still sell LCD's) and get something below 5MS for the rate, usually 2 MS or lower is excellent, get 1920 X 1080 or higher (recommend higher) . . .

Asus is a good brand, Samsung, Viewsonic, Planar, Qnix, HannsG, even LG, most of my gaming friends have Asus and our games testing lab (I work at a cellular chipset manufacturer) all use the ASUS. The monitor I am going to buy is Eizo but its the higher cost one for graphics editing, and $400+ just out of range . . . (those are used by our graphics dept)

The thing with HP and Dell is their manufacturing tolerances are all across the board, so sometimes a lemon batch will come in, so our company dropped them even though HP n Dell tried over so many free games of golf to the IT VP . . .  and they gave us next to nothing steals, but when you have techs racing out to replace 100 hp and dell monitors a day with a stupid scrolling issue just because DVI and display port were used at the same time . . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313 -> we use these at work and they are the awes . . . and within your price range

Edited by hiro

hi Smink !Ive got a 27 asus and im really happy with it ! Ive been thinkin about getting a higher res monitor but Ive decided to wait a little while to see what happens with "G-Sync" that Nvidia is releasing soon. AFAIK it will only work with ASUS monitors as of now !..

If you can put up with your older monitor for a couple of months more,you may save yourself a wad of cash and have a monitor you may not be able to afford today !

If G-Sync "takes off" it will make a lot of Monitor manufacturers drop their prices !~S~

I just recently got the Asus VG278He 144hz monitor.

When I first plugged it in I was not real thrilled, the colors just looked off and way too bright, after working with it a couple of days and getting the settings where I want them, I really like this monitor.

Gaming on a higher refresh rate monitor is really nice, I opted for this over higher res, 1920x1080 at the higher refresh looks very good to me.

And if I should decide to give G-Synch a try, this Asus is ready for it ( at a price ). Plus it will do Nvidia 3d Vision 2, should I want to get into that - but would need to get an IR emitter for it as this particular model  does not come with that.

If going with Asus though, be prepared to spend some time adjusting things to get it where you want, from reviews I have seen apparently some come out of the box looking really good, and others the settings are way off initially.

I think the Ben Q's are getting very good reviews as well.

Hmmm. A single 27-inch LED monitor verses a triple 24-inch monitor set up. What would you suggest?

I saw a BoS youtube video of a triple monitor set up that had the monitors vertically installed. That is, it was installed so your fov was "tall", not wide. You can always see the instrument panel and nearly above your head. 

I find triple monitors settings nice, but i perso wouldn't like it because of screens edges splitting global picture.

I think some screen are existing without edges, or very very small ones, so that's the way i would go for multiple screens.

Hmmm. A single 27-inch LED monitor verses a triple 24-inch monitor set up. What would you suggest?

I saw a BoS youtube video of a triple monitor set up that had the monitors vertically installed. That is, it was installed so your fov was "tall", not wide. You can always see the instrument panel and nearly above your head. 

My personal opinion, you can't go wrong with a 27 inch monitor and TrackIR.

Personally I've put my new Monitor search on hold until I see how the Oculus Rift pans out this year.   I won't need a good monitor or TrackIR for gaming if the Oculus Rift works as has been suggested.   We should see some very compelling stuff regarding the OR next week at CES.  If the Oculus doesn't pan out I would definitely only look into the Nvidia G-Sync enabled monitors as even a slight stutter is a major immersion killer. 

Edited by JG27_Chivas

Just remember, with 27 inch monitor you need to go higher resolution as well. 1920x1080 looks crap on a 27 inch monitor. The pixels are just too big at that resolution. 2560x1440 or more is needed. You also need for more powerful hardware to run your usual games.

With three 24 inch monitors the need for powerful GPU, with lots of memory, is even greater.

Just remember, with 27 inch monitor you need to go higher resolution as well. 1920x1080 looks crap on a 27 inch monitor. The pixels are just too big at that resolution.

I would not say that, I am running on a new 27" 144hz monitor that runs 1920x1080, and the sims I run on it look pretty dang good to me.

Now I am sure a higher resolution would look even better, but I am pretty pleased with what I am running.

• Upvote 1

1920x1080 looks crap on a 27 inch monitor. The pixels are just too big at that resolution

What? :rolleyes: I'm using 42" LCDTV at 1920x1080 as a gaming screen, and I'm never going back to PC monitors.  Of course, if you're sitting at a table a feet away from the screen, it is not an option. But I'm lounging in a reclining chair, quite far away from the screen, and it's just perfect. :)

chair2.jpg

Edited by Lextor
  • Upvote 1

LMFAO 

Now THAT'S cool mate.

Just showed it to the better half of my merriage book.

She said, hmmmmmmmm.

I have hopes, high hopes. LOL

Sorry mate, I didn't get exactly what you mean, English isn't my native :) I'm not that cool guy on a photo, it was just for example.

My room looks like this (sorry for quality, really bad camera):

1e526de46bbb320059353bcc528c992f.png

Now I want bigger LED screen (about 60"), mine is already quite old.

Edited by Lextor

I run 3 x Dell U2412M monitors in 3x1 configuration.  They are 1920x1200 res (ea).  They go (as of this post) for about $279 each but I picked mine up new on a sale for about $230 ea about a year or so ago.

I was worried about Bezel cuts too when I was first thinking of going 3x1 and researching what folks were buying....but the Dell Bezels are pretty small and I don't really notice them much anymore.

I use Track IR also...but with or without Track IR (I have flown this config without it too).... flying 3x1 is an incredible experience.

...my two cents worth.

s/f

AldoUSMC

That's a very odd resolution for gaming. But no, not in the drop down. It should work though, you'd just have to modify the .ini file. RoF supports a host of bizarre resolutions in the drop down, 2560x1080 is not one of them though - but nothing stopping you from editing the ini file and checking for yourself if it'll work.

Edited by FuriousMeow

120+Hz helps a lot to reduce the perceived lag in the head tracking. 

My 2560x1080 monitor is awesome. The 21:9 aspect ratio really increases immersion. Only thing better would be 5670x1080. There is a little IPS bleed on the far corners in very dark scenes tho. I don't think the difference between IPS and TN are that big that I would give up 120hz for IPS unless gaining something like 21:9 or 1440p. Its really nice to have no tearing/imput lag from a high refresh monitor. I'm considering selling this one when the 2560x1440 144hz G-sync Asus comes out.

Edited by driftaholic
  • Upvote 1

120+Hz helps a lot to reduce the perceived lag in the head tracking. 

My 2560x1080 monitor is awesome. The 21:9 aspect ratio really increases immersion. Only thing better would be 5670x1080. There is a little IPS bleed on the far corners in very dark scenes tho. I don't think the difference between IPS and TN are that big that I would give up 120hz for IPS unless gaining something like 21:9 or 1440p. Its really nice to have no tearing/imput lag from a high refresh monitor. I'm considering selling this one when the 2560x1440 144hz G-sync Asus comes out.

Just to be sure: You bought the AOC q2963Pm ? Best, Allons!

Just to be sure: You bought the AOC q2963Pm ? Best, Allons!

I got Asus PB298Q, I was worried about imput lag in other versions the asus was the only one I actually found a few tests on line. Imput lag and headtracking dont play well together. PS both the Asus 29" have less lag then a BenQ 2420T or 144hz Asus monitor. And I've owned all three at one point. But it's still only 60hz.. wich might cause me to upgrade to Asus new 1440p 27" 144hz

Edited by driftaholic

I went with the Dell U2412M because of the low input lag, 1200 vertical res, and good response time for an IPS panel They also have a great stand that makes it easy if you want to get 3 of them in portrait mode.

Edited by TX-EcoDragon
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally I've put my new Monitor search on hold until I see how the Oculus Rift pans out this year.   I won't need a good monitor or TrackIR for gaming if the Oculus Rift works as has been suggested.   We should see some very compelling stuff regarding the OR next week at CES.  If the Oculus doesn't pan out I would definitely only look into the Nvidia G-Sync enabled monitors as even a slight stutter is a major immersion killer. 

That's what I am doing too.  Was about to get a 27" but waiting for OR VR to go commercial.

I currently own a BenQ 2420T and I like it allot.  Thought about upgrading to a 27" IPS monitor but am waiting for Oculus Rift VR to come out. 

Edited by 9./JG52Ziegler
  • 1 month later...

I got Asus PB298Q, I was worried about imput lag in other versions the asus was the only one I actually found a few tests on line.

Mine just arrived and i am totally wow, very smooth running BoS in 2560x1080 and everything seems to be fine. I connected it using DisplayPort. What i can say from yesterdays game experience this helps much in using TrackIR as well as everything is shown easily on the edges..

Best, Allons!

Edited by Stab/ZG26-Allons
  • 2 years later...