II./JG77_motoadve

Buttkicker review (attached to joystick)

Got the buttkicker installed, was liking it very much, you can feel the engine, machine guns, ground roll, very immersive.

But something was didnt felt right, the stick was all smooth , the throttle too and the seat taking all the input.

So I did connected the buttkicker to my joystick extension OMG!

Amazing results!

You can even feel the rythmic droning of the engine, the guns and machine guns you really feel them, its a lot more sensitive, ground roll everything a lot better than on the seat.

And since its in the same desk as the throttle it does give a small vibration to it .

In a real plane you feel the vibrations thru the stick or the yoke a lot more than your seats.

So its staying there ,I highly recommend this setup.

Now I need another one for my seat, I dont think they sell a split so I can use 2 :)

Jetseat could be an option , but Buttkicker is staying with my joystick for sure.

Absolutely amazing , super immersive in VR.

No automatic alt text available.

That’s an interesting setup. I’ll try that when I get my amp back. 

Be sure to monitor the output level. The amp’s heat dissipation thru its heatsink is inadequate. Mine overheated and died. I saw a mod on Youtube in which a couple of fans were installed.

Its a rumble, I cannot hear it when I play because I am using the Rift.

I have taken it off and sounds like a very deep bass noise when it kicks in.

So it sounds to the outside world like if you are playing music with a very strong bass effect, and they can only hear the bass (which you can manage the amount you want.

You can control how much vibration you get.

I used voice meter and lowered the engine effefct a bit , increased the guns so you feel them over the engine running.

I had 2 buttkicker amplifiers and both broke within 2 months. Not going to get another buttkicker. Hopefully yours lasts longer. I admit it was fun while it worked.

Great suggestion i used to have 2 base shakers attached to my chair. after reading this took one from the chair and attached it to my stick mount feels amazing thank you! 

Hahah! Fake Force Feedback LOL - but very cleaver.

My Gametrix KW-908 JetSeat TurboJet gives the same effect. I highly recommend it even in BoX as is without full support yet (...only sounds drive it).

I haven't tried it in DCS - but from what I hear, there will be no need for a Force Feedback Joystick anymore for me (... I my HOTAS is chair mounted)

Not quite force feedback i used to fly with my msffb2 its not like that. But flak makes your molars rattle lol its similar but defiantly different. 

On 3/17/2018 at 9:16 AM, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Its a rumble, I cannot hear it when I play because I am using the Rift.

I have taken it off and sounds like a very deep bass noise when it kicks in.

So it sounds to the outside world like if you are playing music with a very strong bass effect, and they can only hear the bass (which you can manage the amount you want.

You can control how much vibration you get.

I used voice meter and lowered the engine effefct a bit , increased the guns so you feel them over the engine running.

just got a buttkicker yesterday... it's awesome if/when IT decides to work. I'm totally lost in PC land, so I'm sure it's me and my system. 

here's what I know:

1. the buttkicker works

2. somehow, I got the IL2 sound to work [and had a blast with it]; however, when I started up my PC the next time I got zero sound out of the buttkicker. I have no idea why the settings didn't stick? or how it even worked in the first place. I was trying all kinds of combinations and then I just stopped when it worked, thinking I was done.

3. when the sound does come out of the BK, it's like a speaker... I don't just hear the lows [or vibrations], I hear everything, no matter what dials I turn on the amp.

any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm using VoiceMeter but I don't really know what I'm doing with it or anything else PC related.

Would sending screen captures of my sound options help or can someone walk me through it without additional info on my end?

thanks in advance!

5 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Call the guys at Buttkicker they will help you out getting things sorted.

will do! thanks for the suggestion! didn't realize they had REAL customer service.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Call the guys at Buttkicker they will help you out getting things sorted.

Andrew Luden [BK support] was a BIG help... my buttkicker is up and running consistently now!

Edited by jumento
  • Like 1

Could you please post a screenshot of you voicemeeter set up? I have rift on 1 usb headset on 2 and the onboard sound (for the buttkicker) on 3 but I am sure that there is some error in the way I have it set up. Thanks in advance.

Andrew actually discouraged me from using VoiceMeeter with my setup. So, I'm not using it at all.

update: from day one, I thought the buttkicker was great... however, now that it's cutting out on me after about 5 minutes of playtime, I realize I don't have ANY desire to fly wihtout it!

I'll be calling tech support first thing in the morning.

Edited by jumento

On 1/25/2019 at 2:20 PM, DD_Crash said:

How is your setup working/

You don't need another sound card or Voicemeeter to use Buttkicker (analog) with VR headsets (digital) unless you want stereo vibrations, i e left and right bomb release or landing gear. Sims for auto racing where you want input from the four tires kicking your seat or platform would require Voicemeeter to translate SurroundSound into four signals. 

For a single shaker set up I used the audio split connector that came with the Buttkicker Gamer2. One end in my PC motherboard Audio Out splits to my desktop speakers and the other goes to the Red Input RCA jack on the back of the amp. In Steam VR Settings>Audio I selected to have audio mirrored to desktop speakers when using VR headset. There is a setting to do the same in Windows Mixed Reality options but it didn't work for me.

I have the Gamer2 on my chair and another kicker on a plywood board my rudder pedals are mounted to and it works wonderfully. Really adds to VR which is already a feast for the senses. Takes the saying "seat of your pants flying" to a new level. You feel when your tires leave the ground. I swear I can feel the tire still spinning when it enters the wheel well if I don't remember to tap the brakes. lol 

Thanks for replying, the issue for me is I have no loudspeaker set up. I use a usb headset and the rift. I need the game sounds + TS to play through the rift/usb headset and the game sounds to go to the BK. It really shouldnt be too hard to do but I cant work it out! :)

12 hours ago, Gordon200 said:

You don't need another sound card or Voicemeeter to use Buttkicker (analog) with VR headsets (digital) unless you want stereo vibrations, i e left and right bomb release or landing gear. Sims for auto racing where you want input from the four tires kicking your seat or platform would require Voicemeeter to translate SurroundSound into four signals. 

For a single shaker set up I used the audio split connector that came with the Buttkicker Gamer2. One end in my PC motherboard Audio Out splits to my desktop speakers and the other goes to the Red Input RCA jack on the back of the amp. In Steam VR Settings>Audio I selected to have audio mirrored to desktop speakers when using VR headset. There is a setting to do the same in Windows Mixed Reality options but it didn't work for me.

I have the Gamer2 on my chair and another kicker on a plywood board my rudder pedals are mounted to and it works wonderfully. Really adds to VR which is already a feast for the senses. Takes the saying "seat of your pants flying" to a new level. You feel when your tires leave the ground. I swear I can feel the tire still spinning when it enters the wheel well if I don't remember to tap the brakes. lol 

sounds like your IL2 setup is mono only...  can you set up stereo vibrations in IL2 or were you just saying it hypothetically?

if you, or anyone else, has set up stereo vibration in IL2 I'd love to hear more about it!

3 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

Thanks for replying, the issue for me is I have no loudspeaker set up. I use a usb headset and the rift. I need the game sounds + TS to play through the rift/usb headset and the game sounds to go to the BK. It really shouldnt be too hard to do but I cant work it out! :)

here's how mine is set up [not the ideal method according to BK, so take this for what it's worth... it's the only way I could get it to work on my system]

PC SOUND settings: set to HEADPHONES [and I have my BK amp plugged into the headphone jack at the front of my PC not the back/sound card]

Oculus DEVICE settings: RIFT set to MIRROR VR in the OFF position

Steam VR settings: Mirror Audio to Device set to HEADPHONES

hopefully this helps!

Are you using usb headphones as well as a Rift?

2 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

No. The Rift, or any of the HMDs, operate in the normal manner. Usually Steam will automatically switch the audio from desktop speakers to your headset when the sim starts. That still happens but the audio is now mirrored to the speakers as well. I turn off my desktop speakers when in VR and the mirrored audio signal drives the amp and thereby your butt. lol

5 hours ago, jumento said:

can you set up stereo vibrations in IL2

Yes, with two shakers and an amp that would be possible. Look for an amp such as this -https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lepai-LP-168HA-2-1-2x40W-Amplifier-1x68W-Subwoofer-Output/183636189217_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20171012094517%26meid%3Db41069cc3e924c4e8ee16417b1d29276%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D123535085593%26itm%3D183636189217&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219 

The chair mounted Gamer2 I have attached to the chair pedestal and is mono as you said. For a stereo effect you would need two shakers and an amp plus common household wires to build your own system. I'd recommend the AuraSound Pro-Bass Shaker like I have under my pedals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AuraSound-AST-2B-4-Pro-Bass-Shaker-Tactile-Transducer/123535085593?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Gonna have to give that a try moving one of the pucks where my stick is mounted. I'm running four-TT25-16 shaker pucks, two in the seat and 2 mid back in my chair. Driving them with a 70watt subwoofer plate amplifier. Using a stereo  Y-splitter from my center/subwoofer out to line level input on amp. Very simple setup, all I had to do was go into sound audio manager and increase subwoofer gain a bit and make sure the sound was all the way up in Sturmovik.  I have the gain on the plate amp a little past 50% and it's more than enough rumble and thump. Great sound immersion with my surround headphones, and YES,  Flak is killer!

On 2/1/2019 at 2:51 PM, DD_Crash said:

just the Rift, no additional headphones

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:48 AM, Remontti said:

I had 2 buttkicker amplifiers and both broke within 2 months. Not going to get another buttkicker. Hopefully yours lasts longer. I admit it was fun while it worked.

I've been using a normal stereo amplifier from sony for 5 months, bought used for 20 Euro. 200W, operate 4x sinustec BS-250er (=reckhorn 250) over stereo a/b. There is so much power behind that I can't give more than 2/3 volume.

I'm using Voicemeeter Banana as it allows three outputs:

1. Digital Audio SPDIF to a sound bar under my monitor
  2. Bass shaker output via 3.5mm jack on back of PC. No filtering, it's just the stereo audio output.
  3. Oculus Rift output.

I don't use Oculus mirroring, I manually select it in Voicemeeter Banana when I want it. The number 2 output headphone jack goes to a subwoofer amplifier with built-in low-pass filter, which extracts the low frequency sounds and sends them to 4x 35W Dayton Audio transducer pucks (two mounted on plywood with rudder pedals, two on my chair seat).

Here's the Banana screen showing the config. I also have Discord audio going only to the non-bass shaker channels via the Voicemeeter Aux, that way people with bassy voices don't vibrate my chair, I just hear them in my headphones.

voicemeeter-banana.jpg

• Like 2