-IRRE-Genius

[3D Objects] Craters - Release V.07

Hello,

I try to import a craters mods from my Rise of flight test but without success.

I want to make craters zone (50mx50m / 100mx100m / 500mx500m) :

• "Static" blocks craters zone
  • "Entity (like vehicle)" craters zone => with this we can "spawn" crater zone to closed an airfield after bombing for example

A try in ROF Editor:

capture_imagesia-com_1fr95.JPG

I need helf from developpers because this mods didn't works in IL2.

Bug may be from:

- specific material on IL2 (different from ROF) => need a 3DS max plugin

- Different structure of luascripts = need at least an uncrypted files sample for a vehicle and for a static blocs

- other ?

EDIT - 14-11-2018:

Re,

With the help of Jason, i can suggest new 3D Object "Craters" with spawn available (to close runway after bombing for example).

Need JSGME to install in game. Link to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W4vkFiSW4uYfv6pvDOGKm_uj7BRnrVd6/view?usp=sharing

Careful : in case of multiplayer mission, all players need this mod installed.

Some screenshots:

1542220947-2018-11-14-18-35-27.jpg

1542220944-2018-11-14-18-34-11.jpg

Edited by -IRRE-Genius

First, there are crater blocks already in the editor.

Second, you can't spawn them, I already tried a while back.

Gambit, yes there are crater but as you said as a block which limit the possibility.

That's why i ask to Genius to build some which will be an entity, and wich have collision. With that we can close an airfield. That one could be activate/deactivate, delete, spawn as normal entity.

With that a pilot can start a mission from an airfield and when he come back, the airfield is close because enemy bomber destroyed the runway, so, he has to land to another airfield. ;)

Great Habu/Genius - make it happen.

I've been wanting that functionality for a long time. :)

25 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

From a user standpoint, me too. Need persistent craters for the bomber boys and us occasional Jabo's.

You're who I was thinking of honestly.

I'll build you that runway damage group the minute this becomes possible.

7 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Great Habu/Genius - make it happen.

I've been wanting that functionality for a long time. :)

I was sur that with an explanation you'll suport the project. ;)

I asked him about craters, because it's simple to do, and can be a quick test object to validate the importation in the game.

For information Genius did many 3D MOD on Rise of flight, and he has a very good understanding how adding 3D object in RoF. He build some french fort which were missing, and one of its last product was the french carier Bearn. You can found his product on the rise of flight forum.

As genius said, the 3D model is done, but the way to add it in BoS change from RoF. We don't have the key, the missing code which must be add to the 3D object to work in the game. I can see the object list in the editor, but there is no effect when i put it in the 3D windows of the editor.

I hope that we will have the answer soon from the dev.

After, when the crater will be effective in game, i would like to ask him some baloon with collision.

Here is the post where all begin, and some screenshots i did in Rise of Flight. as you can see, it's not perfect when the ground is not flat.

http://skinsmenhirs.forumactif.org/t951-3d-crateres

• Upvote 1

Will craters have an expiration? Such as repair crews are able to clear and repair the damage after X minutes and the airfield becomes operational again?

Also, will craters match bomb types? ie: 250 = small crater, 500 = medium, 1000 = large, etc?

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

2 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Will craters have an expiration? Such as repair crews are able to clear and repair the damage after X minutes and the airfield becomes operational again?

Also, will craters match bomb types? ie: 250 = small crater, 500 = medium, 1000 = large, etc?

There are no expiration time, but with a trigger we could deactivate it or delete it.

Genius can make different size of craters. At that time, it's a bunch of craters in one object, with different size of craters.

Keep in mind, that it's a proof of concept for BoX, and it's to validate and test how it works in BoX.

2 hours ago, =IL2AU=chappyj said:

What file extension are objects in il2

Are they the same for static and entity objects but the entity object has scripts? 

About the extension, Genius will answer you.

Yes entity has a script and it's the missing part for that mod, and what we are waiting.

Keep in mind that we can only import it in RoF. In BoX, we need that dev provide us some information for the script. That's why you have only screenshot from RoF.

3 hours ago, =IL2AU=chappyj said:

What file extension are objects in il2

Are they the same for static and entity objects but the entity object has scripts? 

Hi,

All 3D model are on specific Il2 CGS / 777 files format: .mgm

A plugin exist for a old 3DS Max software with SDK in rise of flight forum.

Bye

Genius

3ds max 8?

hmm well that kinda makes it impossible to use for newcomers as autodesk dont support/provide versions back that far

Yes for RoF, it's 3Dsmax 8, but Genius will confirm the information.

On 17/03/2018 at 3:11 PM, =IL2AU=chappyj said:

3ds max 8?

hmm well that kinda makes it impossible to use for newcomers as autodesk dont support/provide versions back that far

Yes 3ds max 8.

I use only it to convert files via .obj to .mgm (i use blender for 3D).

Bye

Edit: (I rename my topic in [3D objects] )

Well, I would recommend persistent craters do have a timer for airfield repair. Many dogfight servers have hour long missions and only a couple of airfields. Permanently closing an airfield in this case would kill the match and probably keep persistent craters on the shelf for map designers. Maybe five minutes or so to account for repairs on DF servers and ten for campaign type servers.

1 hour ago, -IRRE-Genius said:

Yes 3ds max 8.

I use only it to convert files via .obj to .mgm (i use blender for 3D).

Bye

Edit: (I rename my topic in [3D objects] )

Here's hoping for a 3ds max 2017 plugin then!

1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Well, I would recommend persistent craters do have a timer for airfield repair. Many dogfight servers have hour long missions and only a couple of airfields. Permanently closing an airfield in this case would kill the match and probably keep persistent craters on the shelf for map designers. Maybe five minutes or so to account for repairs on DF servers and ten for campaign type servers.

That's some fast-ass repair work Murf :o:

Easy to do though. :)

MP DF servers are condensing a full weeks worth of fighting (or more) into about an hour. With only two to four airfields on a DF map the game could be over in a matter of minutes. Five minutes is pretty long for that style of gameplay. For campaign type MP servers maybe fifteen minutes of closure is better? I'll leave that up to you guys doing the building.

I'm thinking of gameplay implementation as opposed to full historical context.  To be fair, I've read of some airfields getting back in action pretty quickly after opposing bombers declared them destroyed. Similar to bombing rail lines, the repairs often weren't nearly as difficult as most would think it is. In regard to airfields, especially dirt or rough airstrips, they could conceiveably be back in action same day. I'm sure paved strips took more time and expertise then a shovel and wheelbarrow full of dirt.

7 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

The time of repair is not set in the object. It's the mission builder who set if you can repair or not using some comand of the editor. So, it's possible to have a repair after a few minutes, or a repair link to some vehicles which have to come on the airfield, or to close definitively for the rest of the game, etc.... There are many possibilities, and it's the mission builder which choose which one he want to use.

Yep, you can set timers/triggers to just about anything you can think of.

This looks promising! I have always thought having a way to crater an airfield would add a lot of interesting dynamics to this sim. I remember back in the day, playing Fighter Ace, there was an online mode called "Territorial Combat" or "TC" as it was referred to then. Bombers could attack an airfield in two ways or both. If they attacked the facilities at the airfield and caused sufficient damage, it would spawn tanks from the closest factory that would form a column and advance on the airfield. If the enemy did not kill these tanks, they would eventually make it to the airfield and capture it for use by the striking faction. Also, the bombers could simply crater the runway, and depending on how heavily it was cratered, could make it useless for the enemy to take off from. These craters had a repair time (I don't remember the time allotted for repair right off the top of my head but I believe it varied depending on the size) to where they would disappear after being "repaired" and normal ops could resume. Pretty much every ground target in the game could be "triggered and captured" in this manner, with land, airfields, and factories sometimes changing hands from one faction to the next many times over until at least one faction had no remaining assets and the faction with most assets being declared the winner.

I know this sim couldn't really what I described above, but having the ability to crater a runway and severely hamper the enemy from operating could definitely help turn the tide in some online matches in this sim. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this mod closely! :good:

3 hours ago, CG_Justin said:

I know this sim couldn't really what I described above, but having the ability to crater a runway and severely hamper the enemy from operating could definitely help turn the tide in some online matches in this sim. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this mod closely! :good:

All you described can be done in the editor, except the use of crater at that moment. But the spawn of vehicle which have to move and can take an airfield, yes, and i already use what you describe in some of my mission. The editor is very powerfull.;)

A series of 35 meter or so triggers down the runway, each linked to a spawn MCU of a few craters in that trigger zone...

That's what I was building for Murf before when I discovered that I couldn't spawn craters.

Let us know how you go with this now we have an updated ungtp  

It's  likely that the materials will not match from rof 3ds plugin and il2 though i suspect

Edited by =IL2AU=chappyj

19 hours ago, =IL2AU=chappyj said:

Let us know how you go with this now we have an updated ungtp  

It's  likely that the materials will not match from rof 3ds plugin and il2 though i suspect

Yes same "bug" with new modified luascripts (Ankor ungtp version), seem to be different material.

Bye

Genius

Re,

With the help of Jason, i can suggest new 3D Object "Craters" with spawn available (to close runway after bombing for example).

Need JSGME to install in game. Link to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W4vkFiSW4uYfv6pvDOGKm_uj7BRnrVd6/view?usp=sharing

Careful : in case of multiplayer mission, all players need this mod installed.

Some screenshots:

1542220947-2018-11-14-18-35-27.jpg

1542220944-2018-11-14-18-34-11.jpg

• Thanks 5

3D object import? 

Great!

Edited by PA-Sniv
Spelling