TG-55Panthercules

Success! - first working mod - Lens flare removal

Having failed to have any luck trying to extract and modify the existing BoX files, I decided to try something just for laughs.  I noticed that some of the file names were the same for BoX as for RoF, so I loaded up my lens flare removal mod from Rise of Flight and tried it out.  Funnily enough, it actually seems to work.

Before and after screenshots (from inside cockpit and external view) are attached below.

The mod package (JSGME-ready) is available here, if anybody wants to try it out:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/ibe7bfk6daij9hj/Lens_Flare_Removal_(from_RoF)_for_BoX_for_JSGME.zip 

Enjoy!

BoX - lens flare removal - before -1.jpg

BoX - lens flare removal - before -2.jpg

BoX - lens flare removal - after 1.jpg

BoX - lens flare removal - after 2.jpg

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 2

Good to know that it works, but it doesn't really look right without the flare either... :P

Its a start :salute:.

lets hope it snowballs and we have more mods.

SD

Edited by soupdragon

If it's really wanted to see mods (wanted by the devs I mean), it would surely help if there'd be some kind of documentation, or if that's too much, some hints regarding the points modders can hook in on the game in order to change things.

A general outline of which parts of the game are supposed to be moddable would be welcome too.

Cheers!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Picchio said:

Good to know that it works, but it doesn't really look right without the flare either... :P

Well, it looks better to me in game than in the screenshots, and matches better how things look when I glance toward the sun IRL, but of course it's a matter of personal taste.  But that's what's so wonderful about mods - they're optional and you can use them if you like them and not use them if you don't.

First mod I'd like to see for BoX, would be some sound mod ( especially for guns) 

Is there a JSGME utility available for BoX? I'd love to be rid of sun flare!

8 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Is there a JSGME utility available for BoX? I'd love to be rid of sun flare!

You don't need one specific to BoX - the "G" in JSGME stands for "Generic", IIRC.  You can just use the same JSGME that's used for any other game - it's just a matter of where you put the JSGME .exe file (or, if you want to get cute, where you point it to).  There's a good thread on the Rise of Flight forums explaining about how to use JSGME - just substitute your BoX folder for the RoF folder mentioned there and it should work fine:  https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/34971-ins-and-outs-jsgme/  

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

do you have a download site for the newest version/ the ones on this post do longer are working.

29 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

do you have a download site for the newest version/ the ones on this post do longer are working.

Not sure about "latest version" (I don't think there's been any new versions released for several years), but here's a package with the version I'm using:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xv2vsmrfs7zc6xi/JSGME.zip

Just unzip the contents into your main BoX folder, and then run the jsgme.exe file.

Worked like a charm- the first working mod ( besides the Oculus Tray Tool,) in the sim...Thanks!:happy:

This just might be my install ....but....I get no “flare “while “in” the plane but I do get sun flare circles in outside views. Can you check this out ? Again I am delighted with this small improvement,

3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

This just might be my install ....but....I get no “flare “while “in” the plane but I do get sun flare circles in outside views. Can you check this out ? Again I am delighted with this small improvement,

I suspect something may have gone wrong with your folder structure upon unzipping or something - I just checked again and it seems to be working just fine for me:

Before (stock):

5ab296c5ddef6_BoX-lensflareremoval-before3.thumb.jpg.6df067842bc48d0be0aca3e1b3a40a80.jpg

5ab296dc2e1f2_BoX-lensflareremoval-before4.thumb.jpg.2ab33f7f4ea41b4959ad78f7b6e2c2b0.jpg

After (with mod):

5ab296f417a53_BoX-lensflareremoval-after3.thumb.jpg.7b59fc56c226a017b166180ca5437dcd.jpg

5ab2970a92da0_BoX-lensflareremoval-after4.thumb.jpg.40588768261cc5fc10d36462cba5f6ea.jpg

• Like 1

For me it works just fine, but the MP servers' list is empty due to the mods option ticked.

BTW, can the host decide which individual mods to allow, or is it a no mods/all mods decision?

I'm using triples and although this was better, it was still a little bit overpowering, so I adjusted the original lens and sunglow a bit. If anyone wants them here they are. If anyone wants to do it better, please do :). I wouldn't have known how without downloading Panthercules' first, so thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dury0i4yjwh4x0v/Toned_down_Sun.rar