Jason_Williams

Jason's Quick Guide to 3.001 Graphics Smoothness

4 minutes ago, EAF_T_Therion said:

I know they can't do miracles (although they already did in the past). BUT I also noticed quite a lot of forum

members with their "Tester"-Tag - didn't they run the beta testing? You see, I'm quite puzzled.

Sure they did but run out of the time, probably.

I waited three months for the full BoK release - some of us would get angry if it had taken any longer. It's unfortunate, but workarounds are good enough and now, it should be fixed without any deadline pressure.

48 minutes ago, mochuelorojo said:

Yes, of course, we understand that, but what we mean is that we would like to see answers from devps like “ok, we are aware of that. We’ll try to find out what’s going on” instead a “ sorry,  there’s no much we can do because It’s been a huge improvement. Try lowering settings or buy a better hardware”  since I’ve got a good one

Exactly what I meant! Thank you.

20 minutes ago, Ehret said:

Sure they did but run out of the time, probably.

I waited three months for the full BoK release - some of us would get angry if it had taken any longer. It's unfortunate, but workarounds are good enough and now, it should be fixed without any deadline pressure.

I understand what you mean and to be honest it might be bitter for you as you only own BOK at the moment.

That's why I was a bit worried about such a big update a couple of weeks ago on this forum. Perhaps, it would have

been more controllable to deploy this huge update in two steps? I don't know.

I for sure don't want to make pressure for some fixes. I was "ranting" about the "ignorance" of some people. Sorry.

And please, please - don't take me wrong. I definitely don't want to attack anyone on this forum. No!

I just try to document what has been said so far.

Cheers

Edited by EAF_T_Therion

I am running into  same issues and nothing I do seems to help. Makes the game unplayable for me sadly

14 minutes ago, =FI=Rambo said:

I am running into  same issues and nothing I do seems to help. Makes the game unplayable for me sadly

Do you have this problems only when you play online? i can see differance only online, offline i have no problems that i can notice when using setings what was sugested

Edited by 77.CountZero

12 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Do you have this problems only when you play online? i can see differance only online, offline i have no problems that i can notice when using setings what was sugested

It is worse while online, but I also see it happen some offline. Not nearly as smooth as before even with 60fps

2 hours ago, =FI=Rambo said:

I know its frustrating and a lot of us are dealing with some similar issues. What have you tried so far? There are a few key ones (and Jason's guide is very specific) that you really need to check on.

Also, when you're having the issues have you popped out to Windows and gone to Task Manager? Check your CPU, check your RAM, and check your GPU. Under GPU there are a few different charts like 3D, Encode, Dedicated GPU Memory usage, etc. What are you maxed out on? Take screenshots if it helps.

I take a huge performance hit looking at trees. I have had some issues with trees before the update, but not this bad. I'll get micro stuttering pretty bad and FPS will drop to around 43.

But other than that it's been great. I just can't enjoy the Kuban campaign without reducing settings quiet a bit. Would reducing tree rendering be an option in the future?

Thanks, for the tips yhey are very usefull. And with the cloud at complex level all the rest of the setings like you describe, I have in the campaign of Moscow made multiple missions with more than 16 planes on each side and a lot of ground objects ! All this during at least galf an hour without any stutter or drop in fps! Thanks to the development team and you for the fantastic tips and work.

One think is still botering me the fact that the Russian messages are for 9/10 not traduced in English. strange and disturbing. :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

7 hours ago, senseispcc said:

One think is still botering me the fact that the Russian messages are for 9/10 not traduced in English. strange and disturbing. :salute:

I don't know what you are looking at, because I'm seeing all of the Russian radio messages in English.

Have had radio messages in German while flying for the Russians and French text appear on the screen, multi-cultural to be sure.

Ardmore

PS Also posted this in bug reports.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:51 PM, Jason_Williams said:

There should really be no advantage of using Full Screen over Windowed at this point.

Jason

The tooltip for Full Screen on the launch panel still suggests an increase in performance of 15% in full screen mode.  That should probably be changed now as it's misleading.

Thanks for the tips, Jason!

Edited by BlueHeron

On 3/17/2018 at 4:21 AM, mochuelorojo said:

Yes, of course, we understand that, but what we mean is that we would like to see answers from devps like “ok, we are aware of that. We’ll try to find out what’s going on” instead a “ sorry,  there’s no much we can do because It’s been a huge improvement. Try lowering settings or buy a better hardware”  since I’ve got a good one

Misrepresent what I say again and I will ban you. I'm sick of this crap. We will fix when it is possible. I have said this many times all over the place. Testers did catch this bug unlike what you think, but the team cannot get high-end equipment in Russia easily, so until they have the tools to replicate this issue in the office they can't fix it. This issue only appeared in high-end machines in testing. The team works miracles on older machines in a country where fancy online retailers and reasonable prices for parts like we have simply DO NOT exist. I had to literally hand carry high-end parts from America to the office recently. We go the damn extra mile for you guys. DROP THE SANCTIMONIOUS ATTITUDE. I'm sick of it.

WE HAVE A TRACK RECORD GOING BACK 9 YEARS OF FIXING THOUSANDS OF BUGS AND PERFORMANCE ISSUES. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK WE WILL STOP NOW????????  

Jason

• Like 9
  • Upvote 11

In regard of VR performance optimization

I have seen some people here complaining about performance issues and stuttering in VR. This is mostly a settings, and often a hardware issue. Most things can be solved by the right settings - some only by new hardware.

VR has different minimum requirements than playing any game on the monitor. For every single game that has been ported to VR.

I recommend anyone who has performance issues to head over to the specific VR section found under Hardware in these forums. Here is the link:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/109-virtual-reality-and-vr-controllers/

People can and will help you out there as much as possible. 

Generally, IL-2 (similar to DCS and other ported titles) will require 4.6GHz on at least a Single Thread of your CPU to run fluently in VR. Be aware that CPUs with low single core clock, but many cores (6, 8, more) will NOT run well on most VR titles. CPUs of such kind, such as AMD's Ryzen series and for example Intel's i7-7820X may be new and advertised as VR Ready - but they are not. People have encountered horrifying performance on these in titles such as IL-2, Elite Dangerous, DCS, Bethesda's conversions of Fallout, Skyrim, and many more titles. There is no easy way around that - the best is to replace your CPU, even if it is a new one. Some have done this, and shared their stories and difficult descisions in the VR section.

Over in the VR section, we have gathered performance results of over 20+ different systems solely for VR. We came to the conclusion, that for VR to run fluid you'll want the following:

- CPU with a steady Single Core speed of at least 4.6GHz, appropiate cooling.

- Rift users want to buy and install a dedicated internal Inateck USB 3.0 card to not have their tracking bounce

- DDR4 RAM, fsb speed of over 2600MHz recommended

- GTX1070 minimum, or faster

- VR Softwares (OR Home, SteamVR, Game directories) installed on SSD

Sources:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/29322-measuring-rig-performance-common-baseline/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k/edit?usp=sharing    ###Spreadsheet of Performances gathered, click BALAPAN tab

Special thanks to chiliwili69, Balapan, dburne, and everyone else who participated. :russian_ru:

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 2

Hello, after the last update and reading to Jason about not launching the SwetFX 2.0 injector and following this error:

DxRenderer 11 :: endFrame (")
    DxgI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
   (0x887 to 0005)

Frs fall and screen lock coming out with control + alt + suppress

Then launch the BOX disabling the SwetFX and the error did not appear, fine.
My question is how can I completely remove the injector ...? try removing folders and files, but the text remains in the corner of the swetfx and there is no way to remove it, check the BOX folder in case there is any file.
I can only turn it off when I launch the BOX
Greetings and help.

Edited by E69_julian57

Delete complete game folder (don't just uninstall), and reinstall fresh. 

You can keep the folder "input", and paste it in after the fresh install. 

And don't blame the devs for it please, it was you who modded the game. The same happened with PUBG players using reshade in July '17. Good luck mate. 

I do not blame the developers of the game, I only expose the problem, the problem is already mine, I just asked if there is any way to remove it.

I clicked 4K, and set windows and  graphic card to Max. power. Tested micro stutter gone and smoothness returned. I did not tweek any of the other settings, I have a middle of the road machine.

What strikes me as so strange about these issues is that some people haven't got any problems at all, while others can simply fix it with Jason's guide.

And then there are others, including myself, who continue to face stutters and erratic performance, even on very high-end systems. 

• Like 1

I have this issue about the graphic. only thing to do is waiting for new update to fix it. I'm waiting looking forward. 

I got stutters and performance hit with the win 10 game mode .

Game mode off in win 10 is a must for my system .. maybe ??? 

I got a brand ne rig, and had this microstutter, for me it was enough running the game windowed and not full screen. I have everything in ultra and it is smooth both in dence SP and MP

Thanks Jason,

The suggestions smoothed out my frames. I have a GTX 980M on an 2014 alienware, so it's definitely showing its age, it does well considering.

Only odd thing I can see is blurring/pixelation/smudging of planes and smoke effects when flying over clouds. 

Many thanks for all of you and the teams' hard work.

Edited by 1CAG_Reg
Grammar errors

Hello, with the RIG of my signature I get Steady 60Fps in the 95% of the cases. Sometimes the FPS drop but after doing a restart, it's working again flawlessly. Campaign included.

My settings:
dbf333dbbb3ffccf12e243d6311b7294.png

From my experience:

Cloud are FPS eater so going for Medium after this can help you too

Grass was doing some sttuters before I got it to Normal

View Distance has not much impact on my CPU, I got this to reduce the Slowdowns in campaign, Didn't encounter any

Mirrors give your GPU some relaxation on the deck when it's maxed out

I hope this can help someone with a similar system or if he can help me too.

Combined with the Jason tips it should work

Edited by LF_ManuV

Hello there,

just found out I also have some problems in carreer (the stutters and small pauses) So when I tryed this nice guide I found out that setting full screen off my fps where far worse and jumpy.

system specs:

i7-7700K at 5ghz (hyperthread disabled)

16gig of ram at 3200mhz

gpu 2 gtx 1080ti msi gaming x in sli

fps at 4k is high at 60fps vsync on and 80-120 with vsync off in Kuban map.

I personally noticed a big improvment with hyper threading off, also with the stutters. (Not completly gone)

On 4/9/2018 at 5:51 PM, verzee said:

Hello there,

just found out I also have some problems in carreer (the stutters and small pauses) So when I tryed this nice guide I found out that setting full screen off my fps where far worse and jumpy.

system specs:

i7-7700K at 5ghz (hyperthread disabled)

16gig of ram at 3200mhz

gpu 2 gtx 1080ti msi gaming x in sli

fps at 4k is high at 60fps vsync on and 80-120 with vsync off in Kuban map.

I personally noticed a big improvment with hyper threading off, also with the stutters. (Not completly gone)

Wow that's a beast of a rig... sad times you have some stutters. SLI is generally known to cause some stutters in some games, have you tried running a single card?

I have a decent rig and have been slowly tweaking my way to smoothness, but not sure what's left to do. I refuse to turn off all the nice effects if I can help it, so it may be that I have to accept some stutters for some effects. It would be nice if that wasn't the case.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:05 PM, Leaf said:

What strikes me as so strange about these issues is that some people haven't got any problems at all, while others can simply fix it with Jason's guide.

And then there are others, including myself, who continue to face stutters and erratic performance, even on very high-end systems. 

the thing is "stutters" are very subjective. When I first launched the game again recently I was so happy to get my edtracker working. Then I noticed the screen tearing. Got that fixed, then I noticed the stutters and frame drops, got those smoothed out and have learned to accept the big frame drops when switching on indicators and HUD. Now I notice very mild stutters (micro stutters), almost imperceptible, better than before, but they exist for me and can even see them in the main menu screen.

A lot of people won't notice stutters or will notice different things and call them stutters - e.g. frame drops and big dips in performance could = stutters for some. Micro stutters are much harder to resolve in my experience, you get them in SLI fairly often.

Any tips for micro stutters, please let me know!

OK I tried quite a few things total and my stutters are smooth enough to not break the immersion. I still notice some things, including shadow popping (on main title screen). Sadly the main last bits of difference did indeed come from overclocking my CPU, RAM and GPU. I just realised my BIOS overclocks had reset for some reason... so getting an additional 0.7ghz, a big RAM bump (I think the OC provided 10-20% speed increase IIRC) and tweaking up my GPU another 10%.

The last few bits I changed made the most difference too. Including the 4K textures.

I still however have micro stutters, just hard to notice. There is the occasional larger stutter which I assume is loading something new (the same sort that comes when you turn HUD or indicators on and off). I assume if I start turning things off like clouds etc I might get proper smooth gameplay but IMO that defeats the purpose of owning a computer with a graphics card in the first place.

Hi did anyone notice the game run smoother and less gpu load with distant landscape detail on ? 

Here is a list of things I've done/tried to improve performance, stutters and the slow motion effect in campaigns and PWCG. There are other useful tips in the thread, and an ongoing discussion. It's not just about "slow motion".

Part of it is just general computer maintenance, but it was inspired by trying to improve my il2 experience. So yeah, some of it is elementary but hopefully people will benefit from trying some of the ideas. There is more in the thread posted by Lemon, he inspired me to go all in for a few days on tweaking. I'm not a super technical guy, so a lot of this is just copy pasting others ideas I've found... I also don't have data to share, just subjective experiences, but the whole process gained me massive amounts of smoothness, improved response times, and large fps increases/more stable fps close to my ceiling (of course with the OCs that would make sense, but besides that).

Best wishes

On 5/5/2018 at 3:02 PM, LP1888 said:

Hi did anyone notice the game run smoother and less gpu load with distant landscape detail on ? 

Not yet but it sounds like you did. Ho much less of a gpu load? I'll certainly give it a whirl

Hope this is not off topic here. Read various threads about microstutter (which was happening on my machine), one proposed (can't remember which thread) , to have vsync on, BUT, to turn off the in-game vsyc setting and, in the nvidia settings, turn it on. I believe this fixed the stutter.

---

HP spectre 13" late 2017, Windows 10, Aorus gaming box 1070, (non-gaming)HD monitor 1080p.

Edited by stupor-mundi

I had intermittent stutters, Jason's suggestions fixed it and I was then able to bump the graphics back up.

Just wanted to point out that AMD Freesync does not work in window mode, only full screen.

Trupobaw pointed me to this thread, and I followed the tips. My stutters were gone on my first multiplayer session with the DR1! Even with my poor man's setup. Hurray!

I could just enjoy the new game.

Thanks, Jason!

I tried turning Full Screen mode off to help. The launcher says it offers an increase in fps but this post says not to. Interesting.

1 from Jason's post. It's not necessary to check the full screen box if you are running at the native resolution. I'll do whatever you guys think is best.

Ah now I get what you mean.

You wanted to say that the Launcher advises to enable fullscreen whereas Jason's hint says to disable it.

From your previous post, I was confused because "I tried turning Full Screen mode off to help. The launcher says it offers an increase in fps" has a misguiding "it" reference and I though you meant exactly the opposite.

So...

I cannot confirm what the Launcher says.

At best, there's no difference between Fullscreen on or off, at least for me I could never notice any, and definitely there was no 15% performance increase.

I can however confirm what Jason wrote, i.e. if you have stuttering issues, try to disable fullscreen mode. That hint definitely worked for me.

:drinks:

Mike

On 3/19/2018 at 2:37 AM, Jason_Williams said:

Misrepresent what I say again and I will ban you. I'm sick of this crap. We will fix when it is possible. I have said this many times all over the place. Testers did catch this bug unlike what you think, but the team cannot get high-end equipment in Russia easily, so until they have the tools to replicate this issue in the office they can't fix it. This issue only appeared in high-end machines in testing. The team works miracles on older machines in a country where fancy online retailers and reasonable prices for parts like we have simply DO NOT exist. I had to literally hand carry high-end parts from America to the office recently. We go the damn extra mile for you guys. DROP THE SANCTIMONIOUS ATTITUDE. I'm sick of it.

WE HAVE A TRACK RECORD GOING BACK 9 YEARS OF FIXING THOUSANDS OF BUGS AND PERFORMANCE ISSUES. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK WE WILL STOP NOW????????  

Jason

Your job must be frustrating at times mate...my sympathies....I for one appreciate the help and advice, the ongoing attention to detail and obvious fastidious approach of the team to trying to make the sim be all things to all people...kudos

• Upvote 1

Applying the stuff from the guide fixed the stutters offline. I can run a 8x8 dogfight with ground objects on the map just fine, scripted campaign is also good. But online is way worse. For example, on Berloga server, even if there a few people around, I basically have a slideshow, even though FPS is the same 20-25 like in offline. Is it because of the ping or just online specific thing?