Mitthrawnuruodo

Mod discussion

49 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Threatening us gets you know where. We are the ONLY team that provides a Mods On mode. That's as open source as you can get. We ALREADY have a long history of mods in ROF that I actively suported. Nothing different here. Trying to hack the game of threatening to do so outside of what we have provided will get you banned.

There will be NO official SDK for modding. We didn't have one for ROF and don't need one here. There are many in this community from ROF who already know how our system works and it works by allowing mods but also preserving our core game unlike other sims. 

Jason

Could you please clarify the modding rules?

It would be very helpful to know what kind of content is allowed. For example, would it be permissible to release a texture mod?

However, it's completely understandable if you don't want to make any specific statements.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

58 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Threatening us gets you know where. We are the ONLY team that provides a Mods On mode. That's as open source as you can get. We ALREADY have a long history of mods in ROF that I actively suported. Nothing different here. Trying to hack the game of threatening to do so outside of what we have provided will get you banned.

There will be NO official SDK for modding. We didn't have one for ROF and don't need one here. There are many in this community from ROF who already know how our system works and it works by allowing mods but also preserving our core game unlike other sims. 

Jason

What an odd response 

people with genuine intentions to make great things who may not have the technical skills would just like a little guidance and some technical assistance 

Rof had a plugin for 3dsmax didn't it ? 

Are we supposed to  use this same plugin? It was 3ds max 8 .

How does one even get a copy of such old software no longer supported by Autodesk ? 

Does every other step to mod in Rof  apply to il2 ? People's initial attempts suggest not ?

How do we know what the script should look like for an entity say a vehicle ? 

Theres a lot if things I'd like to try with mods on but there's no starting point 

• Like 1

Objects are not Mods. They can be added and used without Mods On. Don't call objects Mods.

Jason

Who said I was discounting them? Who do you think ordered we put back Mods On? When I have an answer for making Objects I will provide what I can. Providing a plugin or anything else for making objects is not modding so their requests and complaints are is misplaced. I don't like being attacked for not providing something that has nothing to do with modding.

Jason

Why are you so angry mate 

People are enthusiastic about creating things in the game you built because they love the game 

People aren't accusing nor are they angry there just using the forum to ask questions because they're keen to start doing things 

Debating the term mod vs objects seems to be a minor issue here 

Perhaps an objects subforum will help clarify this ...

Thanks  for the response for making objects in sure i speak for many when I say we appreciate it and we can't wait. 

• Upvote 3

Hi Jason, thanks for looking in.  

If I may ask, is the team aware that the text and textures inside the gtp packages is scrambled and cannot be read?   This makes map, interface and texture editing a blind man's game for now.  Do you know if there are plans allow users to decrypt non-critical textures and text files in the future?

5 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Hi Jason, thanks for looking in.  

If I may ask, is the team aware that the text and textures inside the gtp packages is scrambled and cannot be read?   This makes map, interface and texture editing a blind man's game for now.  Do you know if there are plans allow users to decrypt non-critical textures and text files in the future?

It's encrypted for safety purposes just like it was in ROF. Someday someone will be able to unlock them. When that happens I don't know. They did it in ROF without our help, I assume that will happen again.

Why people are puzzled by what we have done here is baffling to me. We did it the exact same way in ROF and no one complained. Very strange.

Jason

• Sad 2

The content of the gtp packages are readable and not encrypted/scrambled in Rise of Flight. 

It’s a little bit like having permission to paint the inside of a locked safe.   :)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The content of the gtp packages are readable and not encrypted/scrambled in Rise of Flight. 

It’s a little bit like having permission to paint the inside of a locked safe.   :)

The GTP packages themselves were the obstacle. Before clever people released certain software, it was not possible to open them. 

I can guarantee that someone is analyzing the encryption right now. If they must, they'll go through it instruction by instruction with a debugger. Given enough time and interest, they will succeed. 

On 16.3.2018 at 4:41 AM, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

To replace default skins, do the following:

1. Download JSGME from here https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/45373-new-useful-materials-page-official-links/ and install it in the main Il-2 directory
  2. Create MODS folder in the main Il-2 directory
  3. In the MODS folder, create the following folders: NameOfYourMod\data\graphics\skins\bf109f4
  4. In the bf109f4 folder, put skins of your choice and name them bf109f4_skin_01.dds or bf109f4_skin_02.dds and so on
  5. Run JSGME and enable the mod
  6. Launch the game and select the second skin in the default Bf 109 F-4 list. It will be replaced by your skin.

It's not the easiest process, but it works. Feel free to ask questions if you encounter a problem (I'm not sharing the skins themselves because I don't have any of my own, I only borrowed them from others. However, you can find custom skins elsewhere on the forum).

If I understand this right I can change the skins of my AI squadron mates in the career mode? 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

If I understand this right I can change the skins of my AI squadron mates in the career mode? 

Thanks!

That's correct. This method allows you to replace any aircraft skin in the game.

2 minutes ago, Psyrion said:

Thanks!

I think not. I´ve try it and so far I can only change the players default skin without using the ingame custom skins.

Just now, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

That's correct. This method allows you to replace any aircraft skin in the game.

Really? then tell me how to do please.

See my post above

Would be a nice workaround until the devs introduce it as a feature. I guess it would change it for every for example 109 flying in the career mission and not only for the squadmates.

OK. I will try it again. Maybe I did something wrong.

@Psyrion If you have success, please post it here.

cheers

12 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Really? then tell me how to do please.

See my post above

As far as I'm aware, all skins are located at either data\graphics\planes\bf109f4\textures\ bf109f4.dds or data\graphics\skins\bf109f4\bf109f4_skin_01.dds. The skins are located in two different folders.  

Of course, the aircraft name will vary. The names in the latter folder end in 01, 02, 03...

I tried it in my Mig-3 career. As expected ,I can only change the players default skin,not the AI ones. Must be hard coded somehow.

Just now, Semor76 said:

I tried it in my Mig-3 career. As expected ,I can only change the players default skin,not the AI ones. Must be hard coded somehow.

I will try. You want to change your MiG-3 squadmate skins?

8 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Yes. As a test baloon,so to speak :)

2018_3_18__22_58_7.thumb.jpg.ff1fe86423063ea2da836744fe3de4cb.jpg

A whole flight of MiG-3s in Career with ugly Bf 109 skins (sorry, I didn't have a proper skin)

The file is data\graphics\planes\mig3s24\textures\mig3s24.dds

40minutes for the trash bin. and I´m sure the problem sits on the chair infront of the Monitor... I can´t get it to work. ^^

I just keep the file structure exact the same as yours. Did I miss a step? Maybe ingame?

can you please send me the whole folder,so I can compare it to my one?

Edited by Semor76

21 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

40minutes for the trash bin. and I´m sure the problem sits on the chair infront of the Monitor... I can´t get it to work. ^^

I just keep the file structure exact the same as yours. Did I miss a step? Maybe ingame?

can you please send me the whole folder,so I can compare it to my one?

Here it is. 

MiG-3_Default_Skin_Replacement.rar

12 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

Thanks. But still no luck. Did I have the right folder structure for JSGE and the enabled mod?

Strange. I can't see anything wrong. 

When you do a quick mission in the MiG, do you see the new skin on your own aircraft when you have the first default skin selected?

.... when you have the first default skin selected....is the Buzz word :biggrin:

I´m really getting old with the time. Now it works of course. Thanks for your patience with me mate.

2018_3_19__1_59_0.jpg

Edited by Semor76

3 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

The GTP packages themselves were the obstacle. Before clever people released certain software, it was not possible to open them. 

I can guarantee that someone is analyzing the encryption right now. If they must, they'll go through it instruction by instruction with a debugger. Given enough time and interest, they will succeed. 

So in Rof when u ungtp were the files immediately viewable  ? Did ungtp decrypt them at the same time us extracting them ? I never played it hence know nothing of the suggested knowledge and skills that translate to il2 modding 

I sure hope you're right 're people working on the encryption 

I(we) are at the mercy of someone with far more skill in these matters than I have 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sorry, I was too fast. It doesen´t work in the career after all. I will make a separate topic tomorrow.

greets

1 minute ago, =IL2AU=chappyj said:

So in Rof when u ungtp were the files immediately viewable  ?

Yes. 

21 minutes ago, =IL2AU=chappyj said:

I sure hope you're right 're people working on the encryption 

I(we) are at the mercy of someone with far more skill in these matters than I have 

Any encryption of game files has a significant flaw, namely the fact that the files must be decrypted every time you play the game. This means that all the information you need is right on your computer at a certain point. If you look closely enough, you will find it. 

Of course, the difficulty varies considerably depending on the quality of the encryption. 

Hi Jason!

Someone asked me to speak on modders' behalf :)

17 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

It's encrypted for safety purposes just like it was in ROF. Someday someone will be able to unlock them. When that happens I don't know. They did it in ROF without our help, I assume that will happen again.

The way people (or rather one guy from Finland) did it for RoF was rather blunt. You have some real encryption there which couldn't be beaten head-on, so it required a different approach. I guess it can be repeated for BoS, but I personally never looked into it. There's also one notable issue: according to Dev Diary 130 message you can ban players if you detect cheating tools. I don't know what exactly you consider to be such tools, but I presume some people may not want the risk of figuring it out :)

Anyway, I understand you want to protect your IP, but it feels like a waste of time. Everyone waits until artists who can make mods meet or become hackers who can figure out the way to implement them. It is not certain this will happen anytime soon.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, lefuneste said:

you can modify d3dx.ini and set any key you want. Unfortunately joy button are not directly handled.

Are these the  lines to be modified?

I  put in space, but it doesn´t seem to work. Still Alt+k to switch the reticle.

[Key4]
; toggle sight reduction
; 0 : original sight
; 1 : modified sight
; 3 : no sight
; 4 : modified sight right eye only
; 5 : modified sight left eye only
Key = space
type = cycle
; y =  3.0, 0.0, 1.0
y = 3.0, 0.0, 4.0

Update:

Just needed to disabel/enable the mod via JSGME once.

Works fine. Thanks a lot!!

Edited by Blooddawn1942

Ok, now I am baffled :)

I've been under an impression that IL-2 just changed the encryption keys and that's why original unGTP tool couldn't decrypt files, but I've never looked into contents of gtp files.

So I did take a look now... and well... it was easier than I expected.

On 19.03.2018 at 12:34 AM, Jason_Williams said:

They did it in ROF without our help, I assume that will happen again.

I assume this means it is ok to make a new version of unGTP.

unGTP-IL2.zip

Edited by AnKor
  • Thanks 13
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AnKor said:

I've been under an impression that IL-2 just changed the encryption keys and that's why original unGTP tool couldn't decrypt files, but I've never looked into contents of gtp files.

So I did take a look now... and well... ... it was easier than I expected.

unGTP-IL2.zip

You're a genius!  Thanks - seems to work great!

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

2 hours ago, AnKor said:

So I did take a look now... and well... it was easier than I expected.

unGTP-IL2.zip

Geez, we went from "we can mod a little" to "we can mod anything:biggrin: 

I'am still having an error though at some point in the extraction,  "Unknown type encountered".

I vaguely recall the same error could happen in the original ungtp for ROF, but don't remember why. I haven't touched all this stuff for years :)

Which gtp file are you trying to extract?

1 minute ago, AnKor said:

I vaguely recall the same error could happen in the original ungtp for ROF, but don't remember why. I haven't touched all this stuff for years :)

Which gtp file are you trying to extract?

It does that with all of them :/

I see now.

Just press enter to continue. Though most of the time it just means that this is the end of the file and nothing else could be extracted. So you are not missing anything.

3 hours ago, AnKor said:

unGTP-IL2.zip

Edited 1 hour ago by AnKor

Excellent! Thanks Jason & AnKor! This will definitely widen the pleasure to fly this sim! :)