ShamrockOneFive

Does anyone else now have extreme microstutter? (Solved)

No stutters so far for me in VR, have only done some quick missions low over Kuban so far - 6 versus 6.

Going to see about the Career here shortly.

17 minutes ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

No stutters here. Maybe the people with stutters should send their graphic settings (game) and those of the graphic card too?

Another question: are the 4k textures only better on monitor resolutions over 1920x1080 ?

4K textures have nothing to do with your monitor resolution. 4K is the size of the texture map for a given object like the plane exterior or a tank or a cockpit (which is multiple different sized textures). 4K resolution is just the amount of pixels the monitor can draw with. The terminology is just a coincidence.

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This time i didn't use oculus Tray tool, instead i turned ON or OFF that AWS setting ingame by pressing ctrl+3 and map stutters were gone, but than wing tips are ghosting a little but barely noticable so i'm quite happy now:biggrin:

You guys tried doing a reboot? Might sound stupid but I had some significant stuttering right after the update that went away completely after a reboot.

Well, I tried a similar setup in the QMB like Jason suggested - no stuttering at all - smooth as before 3.001.

But, online, wow! That's another pair of shoes. Stuttering all the way and no joy. For me unplayable online now.

And, btw. my graphic settings are quite modest / reasonable for my (oldish) system.

Cheerio

10 hours ago, TheHoncho said:

@Logixxxxxlogixxxxx99 What??!?! Does this even makes sense??

It's the same with other setups for DPI scaling. There's a 100% scale and anything bigger is a percentage larger.

8 hours ago, Windmills said:

You guys tried doing a reboot? Might sound stupid but I had some significant stuttering right after the update that went away completely after a reboot.

The 4K thing mostly works and eliminates 95% of the stutters that I see.

Just to give you an idea of what I was trying:

1) Re-start the game

2) Re-boot the computer

3) Install the latest nVidia driver release (I was one version behind)

4) Set the nVidia custom game settings back all to defaults

5) Run through a series of different settings in game with most or all graphical frills off and then working my way systematically back up to full.

The only thing that seems to have at least, in part, solved the issue is switching 4K textures to on. Why this works I have no idea but something is definitely going on at the game engine level. I don't think its a optimization issue (I know they worked hard on that) and it strikes me as a bug that causes objects and the entire view to sometimes stutter for a quarter second.

Just so folks know what it looks like... I was able to capture it with Shadowplay.

NOTE: This is, of course, before Jason was able to suggest the 4K (vsync on, full screen off) suggestion. Once I ticked that box things ran a lot more smoothly. I'm back to 2.012 level of performance which is mostly extremely good but there's some evidence of stutter there as well.

I'm curious to see how things work in multiplayer now. I was having trouble where the number of players caused game disrupting stutter in 2.012 and I've been able to reduce that but not eliminate. Are all of these things connected to some sort if issue with the game engine that appears on some systems but not others - I don't know. PC game support is hard because there are so many possible configurations and potential areas of failure. I'd like to upgrade my GPU in the next 6 months (funding pending :)) and the RAM as well. That said, I already have a beefy system and other people are having equally bad issues with even beefier systems, so I think that this issue is somewhere between the game engine, the software supporting, and the hardware and that it just doesn't happen to all.

Yep, this worked for me! Sadly my machine can't handle the 150km draw distance but no microstutters now!

micro stutter earlier mainly with the P39 & Bf-110, IMHO could it be the size of the aircraft cockpit frames. Anyway, reduced the visual distance by one set and clicked 4k textures, using 1920 x 1080 full screen, and it's much more pleasant. Will play with V sync tomorrow, Too busy having a blast. Bought the Bf-109 G6, for test purposes....it had a wee stutter too.

Intel GA Z270-hdep, Motherboard, Intel core i5 7500 3.4ghz series 7, 16gb Vulcan DDR4-3000, nVIDIA gtx 1050 Graphics card.

Hope this helps

I have small stutters as soon as the map loads, if you press the minimal it stutter too. I followed the Jason advices and things improved a little, but there is something that is causing the UI stutter 

Hi. I don't know if this is related to the topic but when I run Battle of Kuban my frame rates drop to 22-24 whereas the other campaigns will run at about 50-60 fps. I cannot figure out what is happening.

4 hours ago, Cat-26Ashby-26 said:

Hi. I don't know if this is related to the topic but when I run Battle of Kuban my frame rates drop to 22-24 whereas the other campaigns will run at about 50-60 fps. I cannot figure out what is happening.

Need more information. The Kuban map does need more CPU/GPU/RAM resources than the other two maps so that'll be part of it but the 20+ frame drop is a little extreme.

What have you tried from this thread to improve performance?

Again, its random. Even on older maps I get microstutters. Less than before when I didnt have 4k textures checked but they are still there...some servers are smooth most of the time some have microstutters....and they are random, not happening all the time. doesnt matter what settings I put in gaphics. Offline I tested now with 20 aI planes around me and is all super smooth.

MP is seriously bugged thats it. I was going to buy BOK but now I will "hold my horses" until fix comes in.

Then again, ROF, CLOD and DCS are super smooth online.

Nope, its not my rig. Nope.

Edited by blackram

24 minutes ago, blackram said:

Again, its random. Even on older maps I get microstutters. Less than before when I didnt have 4k textures checked but they are still there...some servers are smooth most of the time some have microstutters....and they are random, not happening all the time. doesnt matter what settings I put in gaphics. Offline I tested now with 20 aI planes around me and is all super smooth.

MP is seriously bugged thats it. I was going to buy BOK but now I will "hold my horses" until fix comes in.

Then again, ROF, CLOD and DCS are super smooth online.

Nope, its not my rig. Nope.

Agree.

game must be updated to get it into smooth run, now its not. And its not by our PC. 

Hi Shamrock. What caught my notice in the thread was the advice of Jason where he mentioned unchecking the full screen option, leave Vsync checked, turn on 4k textures, also lowering the cloud settings using application settings. I have also reduced the distant terrain option. My video card is an ATI 5870 and I am not sure that it is enough for the Kuban campaign. The remainder of the game seems to run pretty well. 

21 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Need more information. The Kuban map does need more CPU/GPU/RAM resources than the other two maps so that'll be part of it but the 20+ frame drop is a little extreme.

What have you tried from this thread to improve performance?

I've done lots of testing...lots and lots and lots of testing while monitoring resource utilization, CPU, GPU, RAM.

I personally see no notable difference with Kuban...at least on my system. CPU, RAM usage are very low, GPU is the only thing that spikes, (GTX 1080) but same for

me on Moscow vs Kuban for instance.

2 hours ago, Cat-26Ashby-26 said:

Hi Shamrock. What caught my notice in the thread was the advice of Jason where he mentioned unchecking the full screen option, leave Vsync checked, turn on 4k textures, also lowering the cloud settings using application settings. I have also reduced the distant terrain option. My video card is an ATI 5870 and I am not sure that it is enough for the Kuban campaign. The remainder of the game seems to run pretty well. 

Well it's an old card to be sure. The 5870 was out in 2009. A monster in its day but no longer at the top of the heap and by today's standards... only average VRAM size. You'll need to try and find the sweet spot to get things running smoothly. What is the rest of your system like?

7 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I've done lots of testing...lots and lots and lots of testing while monitoring resource utilization, CPU, GPU, RAM.

I personally see no notable difference with Kuban...at least on my system. CPU, RAM usage are very low, GPU is the only thing that spikes, (GTX 1080) but same for

me on Moscow vs Kuban for instance.

Nice :) It's definitely an FPS hit where I can do Stalingrad and Moscow maps at about 60-70fps the Kuban one is more like 50-60fps consistently. There are spikes up and down for sure. The thing is that your GTX 1080 is going to eat the difference up and probably barely even show it. That thing is a true monster whereas my GTX 960 is firmly mid-tier and while it can do most things smoothly its having a bit of trouble here post patch.

I've further tweaked my settings. I can run the horizon out to 150km (I think that's it) with no real problem. But I have to keep things like sharpening off and terrain detail at the default. If I turn either of those on the game stutters a bit more than I'd like it to. It's not as pretty in screenshots but I'll manage until I have enough money and hopefully nVidia releases some cards with good supply and lower prices.

Hi,

Thanks to the great tips given by @Jason_Williams I am now able to say that it works great : Even my old problems regarding stutters are gone, or almost completely gone.

Happy folk here, thank you Jason.

Hi. Yes my system is a bit older. Other major components are: Intel I7-975 3.33GHZ Quad Core, 2GB DDR3, MSI X58 PRO-E SLI motherboard and Win 7, 64 bit. I never expected to take such a hit as I have with Kuban particularly when the other campaigns worked well. Had I known this I probably would not have purchased Kuban 

Well you would have gotten the kuban map regardless if purchased or not...  it’s really the plane set that is purchased.

9 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Well you would have gotten the kuban map regardless if purchased or not...  it’s really the plane set that is purchased.

You only get to use the map in Multiplayer if you did not bought it. Not in singleplayer and also you do not get the Battle of Kuban campaign (in career mode).

11 hours ago, Cat-26Ashby-26 said:

Hi. Yes my system is a bit older. Other major components are: Intel I7-975 3.33GHZ Quad Core, 2GB DDR3, MSI X58 PRO-E SLI motherboard and Win 7, 64 bit. I never expected to take such a hit as I have with Kuban particularly when the other campaigns worked well. Had I known this I probably would not have purchased Kuban 

Update your ram ASAP. This is your bottleneck. (90% sure). Put in 8 gb of ddr3 (1333 mhz sounds reasonable), this should make your pc perform a lot better. 2gb... thats just enough to run the OS.

1 hour ago, Seb71 said:

You only get to use the map in Multiplayer if you did not bought it. Not in singleplayer and also you do not get the Battle of Kuban campaign (in career mode).

Oh, right, good point, my bad.  I never even thought of it like that... 

well im sure they’ll be fixin what needs to be fixed in the near future... 

lol, I’m running a gtx970, Intel core2 quad, old acer motherboard that doesnt support more then 8gb ram ddr2, added cooling fans...

i have my frames limit Nvidia inspector at 40fps... It’s stable on all other maps...with hud off... kuban drops down to 30fps... 

my my settings are high preset, shadow high, cloud high, draw distance 70km, 4K on, sharpen on, landscape filter sharp, landscape 4x....

this is is an old pc

Edited by spartan85

Thanks Jordan. The ram update sounds like the way to proceed. I was thinking new video card but perhaps this is not necessary.

Sorry for the above post. I made a mistake on the ram of my system. It actually has 12gb instead of the 2gb that I originally stated. It may still be a video card issue. Thanks for all of the responses. 

What I noticed tonight in MP is that stuttering (at least tonight) occured when I came into the vicinity of other planes/players.

4 minutes ago, blackram said:

What I noticed tonight in MP is that stuttering (at least tonight) occured when I came into the vicinity of other planes/players.

yes.. this.

1 hour ago, blackram said:

This is not a new problem but it seems that many more people have this issue. It takes more than a few players but once you get a bunch in one area the screen starts to stutter badly. Frame rate stays stable while the screen pauses.

That's not a microstutter that I was having when I started this. It's a macrostutter if anything :)

Obviously there's something going on but what ... I don't know.

On 20/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, Cat-26Ashby-26 said:

is not only kuba, all the maps were updated, draw distance increased by 3 times, that is what causing your performance drop, your CPU is pretty outdated

On 3/20/2018 at 6:51 PM, Cat-26Ashby-26 said:

How much tweaking of settings have you done to try and get it running more smoothly? With an older system you may need to run at Balanced or Low to get the game to run well as well as do things like drop the draw distance.

3.001 did up the ante a fair bit even at the same settings as pre patch. We may yet see that get better although Jason says that a lot of optimization was done.

Unfortunately, the core of your system is 9 years old. The Core i7 975 was released Q2 of 2009. A darn fine system back in the day but flight sims put pressure on your hardware like no other titles do and eventually you need to think about an upgrade.

I'm back to running really well with a few hiccups and the odd setting turned down. I'll post a whole guide on my blog soon but I want to keep tweaking until I understand the settings better.

It seems that anything that has Kuban as a background runs very slow and nothing that I alter seems to have any noticeable affect. It is strange how everything else runs fine and selecting Kuban as a map is a game changer. I tried many different scenarios today with no success. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, johncage said:

people still use vsync? just lol. set fps cap to 75, turn off vsync.

omg just omg :rolleyes:

We, TrackIR (edtracker/delanclip) users are using vsync because without it we have screen tearing (no matter if FPS limiter is set to 60, lets say, and monitor is 60hz).

BTW,

I made a test offline 8vs8 (16 planes, 15 AI and me). My CPU cores were at 40%...everything was smooth.

Online finnish server was ok. 50 ppl. Wings of liberty 70 ppl microstutters when some planes are near....Kuban even worse.

Something is wrong WITH MP....

Before 3001 MP was super super smooth in all servers, even when full (84 ppl).

So...

Take a guess..its an elephant in the room. And is not our PC. I see ppl with much stronger PCs have the same issues.

Edited by blackram
  • Upvote 1

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, Hartigan said:

f y

Hello

I noticed that I mainly eliminate microstutters by following Jason's recommendations but also by unchecking all the options on the Settings "Game" screen ...
It seems that on my old config with a GTX660M card that the option "mod on" is the most penalizing in my case, so I can not take advantage of the mods that come out.
So I have all the options put the options of "game" on Off

I also can't turn off vsync without getting extreme screen tearing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

if you don't use VR, to buy a 144Hz screen is the best option ;)

MP on Kuban map only is pausing/ stuttering horrendously, yet other maps 60fps, no such problem. 

MP unplayable for me now on Kuban map. 

After patch, graphics lowered to balanced setting, view distance 40km, shadows low, clouds on high as they now look atrocious with the distant chemical reaction effect on anything but high. v sync on with 4k texture enabled. Ssao and HDR off. 

The game was no problem on ultra before. Many people complaining about same thing on chat in the server yesterday. What have they done to MP Kuban map playability?

Edited by Mcdaddy

14 hours ago, johncage said:

people still use vsync? just lol. set fps cap to 75, turn off vsync.

Yeah. I can't stand screen tearing and i don't have a G-Sync/FreeSync monitor.

5 hours ago, AeroAce said:

I also can't turn off vsync without getting extreme screen tearing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

You can't. It's the only way if your monitor has a fixed refresh rate.

1 hour ago, Mcdaddy said:

The game was no problem on ultra before. Many people complaining about same thing on chat in the server yesterday. What have they done to MP Kuban map playability?

Remember what Han said in the DD just before 3.001:   

"To give you a general idea of the scale of this update, its change list will contain 90 items, nearly a third of which are significant changes and improvements. The sheer number of these changes means that after 3.001 release hotfixes will likely follow because there could be problems that couldn't be found by the testers. We're sure this teething period will be short. "

I'm sure they are working on it. Let's try to be patient.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, kendo said:

Remember what Han said in the DD just before 3.001:   

"To give you a general idea of the scale of this update, its change list will contain 90 items, nearly a third of which are significant changes and improvements. The sheer number of these changes means that after 3.001 release hotfixes will likely follow because there could be problems that couldn't be found by the testers. We're sure this teething period will be short. "

I'm sure they are working on it. Let's try to be patient.

So true kendo. This was a huge update and it brings so many good things to the mix. It takes time to refine these things. Always.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

16 hours ago, blackram said:

Something is wrong WITH MP....

Before 3001 MP was super super smooth in all servers, even when full (84 ppl).

But it's complex : for some people the game overall runs better now with Jason's tips than it did before.

Edited by Solmyr
  • Upvote 1

I found a solution, with nvidia cards : 

With 970 at least

Disable in game vsync and use nvidia control panel vsync setting it on «fast»

I lost 15 fps on my counter on kuban (I never had problems on other Maps).... but stutters disappeared completly , and it felt like I won tons of fps,  WITHOUT LOWERING OVERHAUL QUALITY ! 

It works better than any other trick, after 6 hours of testing ! 😊

S!

Edited by LAL_Trinkof