Leaf

Game performance, fps drops and slideshows

glad it give you good results Therion , i wish i could have almost perfect graphic like 4 x sparse grid supersampling  gave,...

from now every setting i m choosing  there is a trade off somewhere, now what bug me a bit is linear things like roads and beaches, i can see some aliasing sometimes and i find everything a bit blurry too, but if i turn on  the ingame sharpen setting, aliasing is worst and there is a lot of glittering (i think it s the good word) things are too bright like cities and trees ... anyway, if you got yourself suggestion to make it better please share it, so far for me those setting are the best compromise , cpu stay around 45% and gpu around 75%, with some spikes to mid 90's, even on Kuban map , zooming on the ground while on the runway, fps stay to 60 (vsynch on).

ps:i d say, try to keep clouds to high and shadow to high, clouds get very jagged under high and preset under ultra (for me), and you loose planes shadows on ground if you set lower than high

if you need to free up more power i d say try ingame AA to 2x first but i dont know if the planes will stay as nice in front of clouds like AA4x + MFAA on does

so good luck, wish you have nice results too

1.png

2.png

3.png

a.png

• Thanks 1

Lemon, thank you very much - I'll have a look. Cheers

• Thanks 1

you re welcome pilot ,maybe i should have said,  in my starup.cfg file, even if ingame cinematic option and force feedback was off, they were ( on ) ( = 1 ) in my file after the update, 

people on forum  say cinematic is a fps eater, so you may want to check that too just to have all chances on your side, while i m here.. there is my startup.cfg if you re interested to compare

b.thumb.png.7907baa9bffb9a923c6ddb69429d49e2.png

also, i was sure i have tested to antialiashing set to (enhanced) in Nvidia inspector but my first picture show (application), i may have revert it by mistake, not sure

either if can change the Transparency or MFAA application, but just in case

c.png.3f3719c960433c1d1057f9dc12af43f4.png

Edited by Lemon

While there is much to marvel about the game update and much to thank and praise the dev team for, I cannot overcome the performance issues particularly in the new career.  I have spent now countless hours in the career looking for solutions to the stuttering whenever even the smallest action is happening on the ground and/or in the air and the pauses just switching to the map or HUD. While I've managed to improve the situation with the help of guidance from the devs and players, it isn't close to acceptable. While my rig is not a bleeding edge machine it is a Core I7 running at 4.5 Ghz with a 1080 SC2 card. There is absolutely no reason the pc shouldn't run the game smoothly in any reasonable circumstance. The FPS is pegged at 60 every second of game time no matter what is happening (unless the HUD is turned on when the game pauses and FPS drops to 48 for a few seconds then returns to 60). In the previous version the FPS were also pegged at 60 and I had no pauses turning on the HUD, Map etc.

I get that others are reporting they are not having these issues but a lot of players are having them, some with top of the line rigs. The update has been out for long enough to have heard some degree of recognition that there are problems and some reason to believe work is being done to find and fix them. Maybe I've missed it and if so please point me there.

As a primarily SP this situation is frustrating to say the least. I cant enjoy the highly anticipated career and PWCG isn't working since the update (yes I understand the devs are not in any way responsible for 3rd party software). All this results in my inability to enjoy the game that has captivated my every moment of gaming time for several years now.

I post these comments with deep respect for the team responsible for what IMO has been and continues to be the best sim I have ever played. I am not prone to complaining but this situation has placed a large sized burr in my saddle. I remain confident that these things are being worked on and will be fixed. Some feedback that offers hope for those of us having these problems would be much appreciated and go a long way to remaining patient.  

Edited by TheSNAFU
  • Upvote 4

Exceptional description of the situation, my thoughts and feelings. 

Same GPU, same issues here. Check my topic.

Edited by ACG_Woop

If I turn full screen off it cuts off an inch border around the screen. Any ideas on how to fix this.?

9 minutes ago, AeroAce said:

If I turn full screen off it cuts off an inch border around the screen. Any ideas on how to fix this.?

I think you can set the desired resolution in the options, correct? You will have to make it match your screen's resolution, or whatever resolution the OS is running it at if it's not the native res.

2 minutes ago, engrish_major said:

I think you can set the desired resolution in the options, correct? You will have to make it match your screen's resolution, or whatever resolution the OS is running it at if it's not the native res.

I do and it always cuts off some of the screen. Must be a bug.

Besides the stuttering I found something also interesting if not annoying. 

I think most of us might be familiar with the game "slowing down", as in the simulation rate. Just recently I had it, but what's more interesting is that right after the slow motion subsided the whole game went fast-forward as if it was under time acceleration. 

Unfortunately this occurred during a campaign low-level dog-fight which resulted in permadeath. I'm pretty salty :( 

I did another test. This time with 20 AI planes in offline mission. Everything was ok. Online on finnish server was smooth (only 35 ppl online). Liberty server qith 80 ppl was smooth this time! LAst night I had microstutters threre. Odd. Also I noticed whenever im online (doesnt matter which server and how many ppl) I have a 1-2 large stutters when Im using GUI map. When I turn off full screen map the gaem just stutters. Its supper odd. Im so desperate that I considered buying a new i7 CPU but then again my friends with super strong CPUS have teh same problem so I just ruled that option off. MP is really frustrating after 3001.

On 26.3.2018 at 4:03 AM, MarderIV said:

Besides the stuttering I found something also interesting if not annoying. 

I think most of us might be familiar with the game "slowing down", as in the simulation rate. Just recently I had it, but what's more interesting is that right after the slow motion subsided the whole game went fast-forward as if it was under time acceleration. 

Unfortunately this occurred during a campaign low-level dog-fight which resulted in permadeath. I'm pretty salty :( 

It happens from time to time. I have this since the first time flying in IL-2.

2 hours ago, EAF_51_FOX said:

me too... studders in MP.. almost none in SP.

Hello guys,

just some minutes ago I made a stunning experience - stuttering is gone on MP. I tell you what I did, because one smart guy mentioned

in this forum that the option "show custom paint schemes" might possibly one cause for stuttering in MP.

So, I changed this and unticked this option. I add my current settings here to show you what I changed and what graphic settings I'm

currently running on my system, which is far from being one to be proud of.

Inked2018_3_27__19_38_56_LI.thumb.jpg.e73d5b9ccfede47eeedf4a32ae31116d.jpg

These changes are based on Jason's suggestions:

Inked2018_3_27__19_39_9_LI.thumb.jpg.faaaa374d01e573bc73b6bb2e426ee30.jpg

With these settings I just jumped on the BERLOGA dogfighter server (~25 guys) and guess what? No bloody stuttering anymore. I was

really puzzled, I couldn't believe it! Super smooth, wow. So, for all those encountering the very same stuttering annoyance - try this.

Hope it will help you and enlighten you as it did for me.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@EAF_T_Therion    Really..echt jetzt? Must try this out

Did a quick test on WOL/70 Players/Stalingrad Winter.

Smooth gameplay. Less stutters. Must test it on the Kuban map. Thats the worst one.

Edited by Semor76

Well, echt jetzt - I noticed stutter only when I opened the map and closed it again - there is still a hickup.

But when flying - nope - no stutter at all. Didn't try WOL yet, but on BERLOGA you always have a lot of

action on one spot. As for the other MP servers it is more dispersed over the whole map.

Have to check the Kuban map too.

Cheerio

18 hours ago, EAF_T_Therion said:

Well, echt jetzt - I noticed stutter only when I opened the map and closed it again - there is still a hickup.

But when flying - nope - no stutter at all. Didn't try WOL yet, but on BERLOGA you always have a lot of

action on one spot. As for the other MP servers it is more dispersed over the whole map.

Have to check the Kuban map too.

Cheerio

thanks to share Therion, i m still experimenting many settings and i ll try yours, i m just wondering don t you have tearing with ingame without vsynch  checked , do you force it via driver?

Also , the in game full screen option uncheck, i always tough full screen option (on) was better in games, that would only help if you dont have the same resolution ingame as your desktop, is it your case ?  thanks !

Oh, sorry, I forgot about that. Yes, of course to avoid tearing you have to modify this in

the NVidia control panel and set it to "fast".

Well, I always thought the same about full screen as you mentioned, but strangely it

also helped - although I'm running the same resolution desktop/ingame.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2018 at 9:04 PM, EAF_T_Therion said:

Cheers

What can I say, you're basically Jesus!

Turned off custom skins and stutters are 80% gone. They're still there occasionally, but the game is completely playable again.

Thank you so much! 

It would appear that textures (4K, other players's custom skins etc.) as well as clouds may be culprits for stuttering, but especially textures.

Well, thanks, but I'm just a normal guy who want to share his passion to others.

Talking about stuttering, so I only notice stuttering (or pausing if you prefer) when I open the map

or after closing it again - but during the flight I have absolutely no stuttering anymore and it is now

completely playable again.

And just for the precision's sake - I only had those stuttering problems in MP, in SP or Career there

was no problem at all. Good and on the other hand I never pushed it too far with my graphic settings.

I know that I'm running a gourd system, but that's what I have at the moment.

Cheerio

still have some micro-stutering, nothing that make game unplayable but still not smooth all the time so.. since you talk about vsynch

today i was trying different setting combination with vsynch and frame limiter, ingame and nvidia inspector, it s crazy how much those settings influence stuttering on my rig,

i did set ingame vsynch off but frame limiter to 60 with the nvidia vsynch force on.. game was stuttering non-stop lol ..

but ingame vsynch off with ingame limiter to 64 (via startup.cfg) file, and nividia to force on, was way better.. i dont say it solve anything cause i did not  test enough cause i had to go, but there was a big difference in the results, thanks or screw you therion , now i got to spent more time to test than play again tonight lol .

cheer !

On 27/3/2018 at 10:04 PM, EAF_T_Therion said:

Hello guys,

just some minutes ago I made a stunning experience - stuttering is gone on MP. I tell you what I did, because one smart guy mentioned

in this forum that the option "show custom paint schemes" might possibly one cause for stuttering in MP.

So, I changed this and unticked this option. I add my current settings here to show you what I changed and what graphic settings I'm

currently running on my system, which is far from being one to be proud of.

Inked2018_3_27__19_38_56_LI.thumb.jpg.e73d5b9ccfede47eeedf4a32ae31116d.jpg

These changes are based on Jason's suggestions:

Inked2018_3_27__19_39_9_LI.thumb.jpg.faaaa374d01e573bc73b6bb2e426ee30.jpg

With these settings I just jumped on the BERLOGA dogfighter server (~25 guys) and guess what? No bloody stuttering anymore. I was

really puzzled, I couldn't believe it! Super smooth, wow. So, for all those encountering the very same stuttering annoyance - try this.

Cheers

Hello Therion, thank you for your suggestion , but unfortunately this did't work for me. still costant microstudders every 1 second in multiplayer mode only.

It might be worth to try closing overlay programms like MSI Afterburner or the like. In DCS World 2.5 i had the same issue. I had constant stutters and after saerching the forum someone said that he got rid off the stutters by closing MSI Afterburner or alternatively just reduce the refreshrate of the hardware monitoring to like every 60 sec from every 1 second. I did the letter and the constant little stutters were gone.

1 hour ago, Ishtaru said:

It might be worth to try closing overlay programms like MSI Afterburner or the like. In DCS World 2.5 i had the same issue. I had constant stutters and after saerching the forum someone said that he got rid off the stutters by closing MSI Afterburner or alternatively just reduce the refreshrate of the hardware monitoring to like every 60 sec from every 1 second. I did the letter and the constant little stutters were gone.

Thank you Ishtaru, but i don't have MSI afterburner, also I have just Nvidia driver without shadowplay (that can cause undesidered overlay) and also problem still present without teamspeak running. I also checked my internet connection values and firewall settings. no problem about all those programs.

7 hours ago, Ishtaru said:

also, the ingame fps viewer  can cause this too, not sure in il-2 box but i remember on atag someone said that about cod,

on my side i got rid of  stutters, it was constant , but still have too much and i tried everything i could think of, game and driver settings, window clock counter thing, prefetch on/off, try things in the bios.. all proprieties and compatibility on the .exe file, cpu priority process, system page file on off etc..more i try things look like thing just getting worst, i cant understand some people with similar hardware (some powerful like 980ti and up) got stutters on any settings to make the game unplayable and others claim everything is fine with similar or even less powerful rig.. there must be a variable in the people specs that make the difference, all installations come from the same files i guess.. or we all have stutters ,and some are more tolerant to this than otters .

i  played a mission on Stalingrad map, 0 clouds , 0 action, take off turn in circle over area and come back  with cpu under 35% usage on any core and gpu between 40-55% % and still have big stutters just before  yellow text on screen appear, and when i was zooming ... i m done, lol ,  i ll wait someone to find a fix or the game a patch.

regards

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

also, the ingame fps viewer  can cause this too, not sure in il-2 box but i remember on atag someone said that about cod,

on my side i got rid of  stutters, it was constant , but still have too much and i tried everything i could think of, game and driver settings, window clock counter thing, prefetch on/off, try things in the bios.. all proprieties and compatibility on the .exe file, cpu priority process, system page file on off etc..more i try things look like thing just getting worst, i cant understand some people with similar hardware (some powerful like 980ti and up) got stutters on any settings to make the game unplayable and others claim everything is fine with similar or even less powerful rig.. there must be a variable in the people specs that make the difference, all installations come from the same files i guess.. or we all have stutters ,and some are more tolerant to this than otters .

i  played a mission on Stalingrad map, 0 clouds , 0 action, take off turn in circle over area and come back  with cpu under 35% usage on any core and gpu between 40-55% % and still have big stutters just before  yellow text on screen appear, and when i was zooming ... i m done, lol ,  i ll wait someone to find a fix or the game a patch.

regards

-edited- I see many server have 0 value of ping ?? is this normal?   I agree lemon,  there is something "wrong" in the MP area and developers will check about .. I hope.

Edited by EAF_51_FOX
0 ping
  • Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 6:10 AM, EAF_T_Therion said:

Yep - this would be very kind of you, Lemon. Did some testing with your suggested settings and

this seems to resolve a lot of trouble - but on MP still a lot of stutter, particularly on crowded servers.

Cherrio

Yes, MP performance has taken a rather large hit.

On empty server (no clouds) I get 150fps on lowish settings whilst flying at 6km alt on my own, on WoL (no clouds) in the same situation but with 80 players I get 44fps.

ALSO: Whenever some event occurs in the text chat (players talking, destroyed messages, objective messages) there is a hiccup of about 150-350ms. Even with the HUD turned off.

Edited by peregrine7

Yes this is same my situation: studders every 1-2 sec  in server in MP. And also I see 90% of server with ping "0"  :(

@peregrine7 and @EAF_51_FOX

What are your systems specs? Here are the parameters of my gourd:

I7-4770s (yes, I can't even overclock this piece of sh...):wacko:

16 GB RAM

Asus Strix GTX970 with 4 GB (only factory oc)

Win 10 / 64bit

Internet: Glas fibre 300MB up/down at 5ms:biggrin:

And check my settings in posts above - nothing spectacular too, but still nice (to me).

So with this "system" I could get rid of the terrible stuttering on MP when flying. Still have

some hickups when open/closing the map.

Cheers

PS: Eye candy is always nice to have, but children don't forget: Candy = sugar and to much

sugar can make you blind...;)

1 hour ago, EAF_T_Therion said:

@peregrine7 and @EAF_51_FOX

What are your systems specs? Here are the parameters of my gourd:

I7-4770s (yes, I can't even overclock this piece of sh...):wacko:

16 GB RAM

Asus Strix GTX970 with 4 GB (only factory oc)

Win 10 / 64bit

Internet: Glas fibre 300MB up/down at 5ms:biggrin:

And check my settings in posts above - nothing spectacular too, but still nice (to me).

So with this "system" I could get rid of the terrible stuttering on MP when flying. Still have

some hickups when open/closing the map.

Cheers

Taking a look now, but I've been playing on Low (with 4k textures enabled) out of desperation, if in VR (where I also experience the stutter) I use my competitive settings outlined in the VR tips and tricks thread I made. 

Maybe due to DDR3 Ram @ 2400mhz? I have an older CPU but it is massively OC'd.

1 hour ago, EAF_T_Therion said:

PS: Eye candy is always nice to have, but children don't forget: Candy = sugar and to much

sugar can make you blind...;)

LOL

EAF_T_Therion

Therion, I have GTX 770 with 4MB Ram , Win 7, 16 GB Memory. CPU 4670K . My rig work without any problem in Single player. The problem of studders every 1-2 sec CONSTANTLY is in ONLINE only.  My Internet connection is always the same (stable 24 Mb/sec in D/L ) from beginnig of BOS game installed where I never had this problem before patch 3.001.  I also noticed there is "0" value of ping (Red square) in the Multiplayer Server menu page of almost all server

(90% of them) I never seen this before patch 3.001.

Edited by EAF_51_FOX

My FPS is dropping by half and becoming "stuttery" with the 3.x patch.  Opening the map and closing it / Alt+tabing, returns my FPS to normal.

Hope we can get a fix for this.

Here's how I think I fixed the issue on my rig (GTX 770 2gb, i5-4670k, 16gb, nothing overclocked, Windows 10 Pro, game on Crucial MX500 SSD):

I was having the same problem as the rest of you. Prior to the update, I could run everything maxed on ultra with only the occasional hiccup. After the update: FPS drop, stuttering, etc. to the point where it was unplayable no matter what graphics settings I chose. This was especially the case in career mode. I have not tested online because I'm still working on my skills. I tried Jason's recommendations, but they did not work, until...

I did a clean install of the game. I then applied Jason's recommended 3.001 settings with a few deviations. I put cloud detail on high and turned on HDR and SSAO because those settings are too pretty to pass up. Career mode ran smoothly (frontline activity on "scattered") even when several new planes entered the scene. 

I will keep adjusting graphics and frontline settings today to see what, if anything, breaks it again. I do not own Kuban yet, so I will not be able to test that more graphically-demanding map.

Thanks to all here for pointing me in the right direction fixing my current favorite game and to the devs for such a massive update.

Edited by Hayduke
spelling

Hello everybody,

Just responding to this topic because I also encounter this small stutter and game slowdown in carreer mode.

my system is as follows:

i7-7700k at 5ghz

16 gigabythe of ram at 3200mhz

and 2 gtx 1080TI msi gaming X in Sli

running at 4k steady 60 fps (vsync off it is 80-120 fps on Kuban)

i have build this rig only for Il2 

one thing that helped me is disable Hyper threading, that also made overclocking to 5ghz easier. 

I only have a problem in carreer not in Quick missions or scenario’s.

The only thing that doenst’t help is turning off full screen, then I get 30-200 fps jumping like crazy. 

Hopefully this is to some use for finding a sollution to the problem for the devs

• Confused 1

On 3/19/2018 at 3:42 PM, Lemon said:

glad it give you good results Therion , i wish i could have almost perfect graphic like 4 x sparse grid supersampling  gave,...

from now every setting i m choosing  there is a trade off somewhere, now what bug me a bit is linear things like roads and beaches, i can see some aliasing sometimes and i find everything a bit blurry too, but if i turn on  the ingame sharpen setting, aliasing is worst and there is a lot of glittering (i think it s the good word) things are too bright like cities and trees ... anyway, if you got yourself suggestion to make it better please share it, so far for me those setting are the best compromise , cpu stay around 45% and gpu around 75%, with some spikes to mid 90's, even on Kuban map , zooming on the ground while on the runway, fps stay to 60 (vsynch on).

ps:i d say, try to keep clouds to high and shadow to high, clouds get very jagged under high and preset under ultra (for me), and you loose planes shadows on ground if you set lower than high

if you need to free up more power i d say try ingame AA to 2x first but i dont know if the planes will stay as nice in front of clouds like AA4x + MFAA on does

so good luck, wish you have nice results too

1.png

2.png

3.png

a.png

@Lemon and Therion thanks for the graphics recommendations it helped boost my framerate about 40%. I was getting about 25 on the ground and now Im getting about 45+ and most stutters are gone. Very smooth. I'm running an I7 960 24meg Ram, 1GB HD Nvidia 970SC card. It made a world of difference.  

• Upvote 2

This one point from Jason's "Tips to find Maximum Smoothness" solved all my stuttering and FPS problem, everything runs now smooth and perfect:
6. In Windows set your computer power supply to use Maximum, not Balanced or Energy Saver.  

After 3.0001 update I had about three weeks my computer as a "Balanced" mode and my FPS's were very bad. After switching it to "Maximum" my FPS's are now 58-60 almost all the time (my monitori is 60 Hz and I have "Vsync ON"). You can see my computer setup from below! :) 

Edited by LLv44_Kanttori

On 4/9/2018 at 6:33 PM, verzee said:

Hello everybody,

Just responding to this topic because I also encounter this small stutter and game slowdown in carreer mode.

my system is as follows:

i7-7700k at 5ghz

16 gigabythe of ram at 3200mhz

and 2 gtx 1080TI msi gaming X in Sli

running at 4k steady 60 fps (vsync off it is 80-120 fps on Kuban)

i have build this rig only for Il2 

one thing that helped me is disable Hyper threading, that also made overclocking to 5ghz easier. 

I only have a problem in carreer not in Quick missions or scenario’s.

The only thing that doenst’t help is turning off full screen, then I get 30-200 fps jumping like crazy. 

Hopefully this is to some use for finding a sollution to the problem for the devs

Hi,

if you have slowdowns in career mode with your pc I dont need to upgrade mine.

• Haha 2

Hi Voidhunger,

it’s mainly very small stutter, I dont suffer really that much from slowdowns. 

It looks like a small problem in the game, that they will fix soon I hope.