Gambit21

Havoc Over the Kuban - RELEASED

@WM_KMS as I indicated I would advise when the devs fixed this logic - has not happened yet.

I will check mission 16 when I get a minute - thank you.

Changes to the AI coupled with close proximity mountain flying most likely - thanks for the report.

Also track file plus area of the map where freeze occurred would help the devs.

Edited by Gambit21

Yes, I  support gambit, we need more data from possible sources to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Tracks, videos with an indication of the square, any information that will give more specifics in the search and analysis of the problem. AI is not a simple thing...

How do I obtain a track file?

8 hours ago, WM_KMS said:

How do I obtain a track file?

Just in case you are unaware. You can record tracks of your mission. The default key binding to stop and start recording is...[LCtrl] + [R]

561967063_trackrecording.thumb.jpg.daa6e9975939dcd703f79caa15653b2f.jpg

The recordings are stored here...game directory > data > Tracks

138043573_trackfilelocation.jpg.6f436edf5ee37d7dce51ac73bdca1625.jpg

You see there is a rather specific date and time naming convention, with TWO FILES having the same date and time group. You need to select BOTH of those files (the folder and the .trk file) and zip or 7zip them together to attach to a post here.

[edit] Forgot to mention there is a size limit for track files. It would be best if you wait until you get close to the point of freeze/CTD or otherwise porked mission behavior to start recording. 

Edited by busdriver
  • Thanks 1

Sweet I can do that, is there any debug type crash files that I can include?

On 7/10/2020 at 5:21 PM, WM_KMS said:

After the recent update I tried Mission 15 again to see if the AI was fixed... nope, Eagle Lead still crashes into the taxiing plane BUT he managed to get past it with no serious damage and not rear end Gannet 3! woohoo Team Eagle got setup on the runway and we all launched, I was able to complete the mission.

Mission 16 though.... right before waypoint 3 the leader begins to circle and plane #5 and 6 hit the mountain, also about 80% through the mission it hard freezes, no mouse and requires a hard boot to clear. Tried it twice

Tested mission 16 - worked as intended - waypoints triggers operated as intended.

That's about all I can do on my end.

Are you running mods per chance?

The behavior you describe is something should have always or never, as it would indicate a logic error.

However since I built the missions and tested many many months ago and all has been working since then, I know that no logic error exists.

This leaves a game bug, but again this should happen every time or never.

So I'm not sure what you were witnessing but I can't reproduce it.

(this is with regard to the circling/crashing)

Now this is also with a fixed version of the mission (from last report).

There is a chance this fixed version was not implemented...I'll double check.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:13 AM, Wo1fHound said:

Unfortunately submitting a bug report for this scripted campaign.  Great work and well worth it except the game continually locks up near the end of the "Dawn Patrol" mission.  4 times now (AKA 4 hours) where the game appears to pause itself, with sound from the engines still running and smoke from the engines still coming out but at a campfire rate... strangely, the map and flight briefing screen seems to work but nothing else.  I have Steam Validated files and one is required.  The freeze happens at the end of the attack shortly after the leader says (in white font - top-center) "good job, form up south of the river" or "two minutes."

Not sure what else I can try as IL2 is usually solid.  

Note: using VR (Steam Index) with over 660 hours of gameplay and multiple careers and scripted campaigns with basically no issues. 

Also: PLEASE keep these scripted campaigns coming as they are awesome. 

Unfortunately I have the exact same problem.

Mission 05 "Dawn Patrol".

The game freezes about 30 seconds after getting the "two minutes" message, after the attack on the vehicles. The A20 engine sound still plays.

My plane is usually in grid 1330 with no particular action happening at the time. I did record a track when the game froze but it wont play back at all.

I have to open the Task Manager to shut the game down. This ONLY ever happens with this particular campaign; never with any other off-line content or online play.

i9-9900KS @ 5.00GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, MB Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB 3200 C16 DDR4 RAM, Samsung SSD 970 Pro 1TB

I dont use VR.

Thanks for this excellent campaign. A pity I am stuck at this point. I hope a solution can be found.

EDIT:

Managed to complete this mission today without having the game freeze.

I can't be certain why it ran successfully this time but I can tell you I was using the latest game version (4.008c) and it was running in Mods Off mode.

All the Mods had been uninstalled with the JSGME too.

I hope this helps someone.

Edited by HotPursuit
Updated info

Mission 15 - Most Eagle Planes crashed during taxiing for take off.

Tried out several times... Really annoying.

Edit:

I managed now to fly the sortie in mission 15 alone, found the targets and destroyed some of them.

As I returned, Eagle Leader still waits on the runway for the rest of the flight, which are crashed with Gannet 4.

I landed but the mission cannot completed, cause the mission is still ongoing.

Any tipps or hints how I can finish mission 15 now?

I really loved this campaign so far and I like to go on with mission 16 and finish it.

No Mods in use!

Edited by King_Franky

After a dozen of attempts, the AI finally managed to take off without an accident and I was able to play the mission 15 from the start to the end.

Nevertheless, the campaign should be fixed with a future patch.
After all, it's a payable add-on and still to purchase.

Without a doubt this is an awesome campaign with a great atmosphere in the mountains and I love to play it.

Hm... last mission of the campaign, game freezed on my way back to the home base.

Cannot finish campaign, need to fly #16 again...

Kill IL2.exe with task manager was the only way to quit.

Bug with the game, not the campaign as reported above. The Devs will fix but I don’t know when - I just know they’ll do it as time allows. 

PLEASE STOP REPORTING TAXI COLLISIONS IN THIS THREAD 

It’s been reported.

Out of my control.

1 hour ago, King_Franky said:

Ok, I see.

No offense, thank you for this great campaign.

Thanks.

No offense taken, I just don’t want this thread gummed up with repeated reports of the same bug.

I’ve reported in beta so hopefully it’s resolved soon. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, HotPursuit said:

The game freezes about 30 seconds after getting the "two minutes" message, after the attack on the vehicles. The A20 engine sound still plays.

My plane is usually in grid 1330 with no particular action happening at the time. I did record a track when the game froze but it wont play back at all.

I have to open the Task Manager to shut the game down. This ONLY ever happens with this particular campaign; never with any other off-line content or online play.

Hi Gambit,

Absolutely loving this campaign so far, but I have also experienced exactly the same problem as above on 2 occasions. Once I was closing bomb doors, other time I'd zoomed in to ID a plane. Really weird as I've never had the game crash before.

Not running any mods. No VR.

Ryzen 5 1600 @3.85, GTX1070 with 446.14 drivers.

Thanks.

Not a campaign bug guys, thus out of my purview...not sure what else to say.

I have the Devs monitoring this thread.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Changing of the time scale (2x, 4x, 8x): Game speed does not change, time to fly a certain distance does not change according indication (e.g. 8x).

When flying into the sea with A20, engines do not stop.

6 hours ago, ontsch said:

Changing of the time scale (2x, 4x, 8x): Game speed does not change

I noticed that too in other missions, the clock arrows seems to go at the same speed x2, x4 and x8.

[edit]

Yesterday I also got something pretty strange, on a Bodenplatte mission everything seemed to slow down,  fps were still pretty good but everything seemed to play as if I was flying through water ... turns out this is time dilation:

I think there is an upper limit to sim time which in turn is a function of your cpu/cpu clock.

Edited by norsetto
added time dilation

12 hours ago, ontsch said:

Changing of the time scale (2x, 4x, 8x): Game speed does not change, time to fly a certain distance does not change according indication (e.g. 8x).

When flying into the sea with A20, engines do not stop.

Neither of these items has anything to do with or is specific to the campaign.

Please discuss elsewhere.

Scrited Campaign, "Havoc Over the Kuban" . The last mission is "The Defence of Tuapse Part ll". After completing the attacks with bombs and gunfire, the planes then form up and return to their homebase. On this return flight the game freezes always before reaching the airfield. This frozen Game can only be left with Task Manager. This happend 8 times, with different settings and even when doing the whole flight with autopilot. All other "Havoc Over the Kuban" missions worked fine without any freeze.

7 hours ago, tschon said:

Scrited Campaign, "Havoc Over the Kuban" . The last mission is "The Defence of Tuapse Part ll". After completing the attacks with bombs and gunfire, the planes then form up and return to their homebase. On this return flight the game freezes always before reaching the airfield. This frozen Game can only be left with Task Manager. This happend 8 times, with different settings and even when doing the whole flight with autopilot. All other "Havoc Over the Kuban" missions worked fine without any freeze.

Not a logic bug with the campaign, thus out of my purview and beyond my ability to de-bug.

Since it's not happening all the time/to everyone and never happened once during testing, it may have something to do with your specific system.

I've asked the Dev's to monitor this thread as I said above.

Hi,

I've played Kuban since it was first released; my initial experience was not good as I suffered from a lot of stuttering to the point where the Ju88 career was unplayable.

Since then my Cpu has gone from i5 @ 4.2Ghz to i7 9700K all cores 5Ghz; Ram from DDR3 1600 to DDR4 3600 and Gpu from GTX970 to RTX 2070.

I bought the scripted campaign this weekend and while it plays my GPU is all but maxed out - this didn't happen when playing the Lightning campaign in Bodenplatte.

I was running the P38 Lightning with HUD and mirrors, which I didn't on the A20 simulation.

So my questions are -

1. do other people have the same issue ?

2. is this just down to the complexity of the Kuban map?

3. Am I missing something here?

Kuban map is heavy but it is awesome and the best one to date in my opinion. 

The sea color/reflections and wave behavior must be improved but other than that it is an excellent map.

I guess you will have to adapt your GPU settings if Kuban is too heavy on your system.

Maybe someone with the same GPU and RAM amount can assist you there.

Maybe try some Quick missions or a Easy mission created by Syn Vander's tool using Kuban to see if it behaves the same?

Edited by jollyjack

On 7/14/2020 at 1:49 AM, HotPursuit said:

i9-9900KS @ 5.00GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, MB Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB 3200 C16 DDR4 RAM, Samsung SSD 970 Pro 1TB

I dont use VR.

Thanks for this excellent campaign. A pity I am stuck at this point. I hope a solution can be found.

EDIT:

I can't be certain why it ran successfully this time but I can tell you I was using the latest game version (4.008c) and it was running in Mods Off mode.

I keep having this happen to me, 3 times today.  I am not running any mods, but I did have discord running idle in the background.  Is there a way for me to enable a crash log of sorts?  I looked in the IL2 gamedirectory/data/logs, but there is nothing in that folder. Would like to get past this mission.  I am running standalone version 4.009.

EDIT:  I tried double clicking the EnableErrorReporting, it required me to use my admin account, but I play using a regular user account.  So Maybe that is why the dump files don't show up when double clicking the ViewCrashDumps?  Also odd to me is located in the Game/data folder there are 92 missionReport files ALL dated today their labeled [0] to [91].  Are those useful in anyway to diagnose this?   

Edited by XAiracobraX

A freeze does not produce a dump file unfortunately. A crash does, so it’s always good to have error reporting enabled.

I need help with the mission "head of the snake". 

Spoiler

After attacking the fuel, transports fly by, and we keep circling over target area.  I was out of bombs and gun ammo from attacking transports.  We just kept circling a 15k ft altitude for over an hour and a half.  Eventually a Pe2 also came and was circling around the target area.  All three of us just kept going around and around.  At around 1/3 fuel left on gauge I broke off and went home.  Is that how this mission is supposed to go?  Is there a specific target we need to take out but are missing?

On 7/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, HotPursuit said:

I dont use VR.

EDIT:

This also happened to me as described here. I fly with mods and VR though. This is the first time I experience anything like it anywhere in Il-2 so that's why I suspect the mission itself. @Gambit21 You said that this was an error with the game and not the mission, do you have a link or something to let us know more about that? 

Ps. The feeling and atmosphere of this mission is spectacular! Especially the fly out in the mountains.

Update: Happened again roughly at the same place. I'm following the leader and just as I'm crossing the front line back home it stops, it's more like "active pause" DCS-style as I can still look around (VR) and smoke are coming out of the engines etc. The mission status is "Return to base". TBH it's quite annoying since I've already flown like 30-40 minutes and this is the second time... How can I skip the mission?

Edited by frosen
Update

Congratulations @Gambit21 for the spectacular work you've done with this campaign. To me the most enjoyable GB missions I've played so far. I don't know how you managed to keep such a good performance with all that action and scenery.

And I thought I didn't like flying bombers... 🙂

Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jollyjack said:

He's the master ....

I appreciate that, but we have some great talent at work in other builders as well. :)

I'm looking forward to flying Black Six's stuff, as well as Jaegermeister's and a few others at some point (when I start actually flying again)

As they finish new works, a nice little library is building up for me to fly myself someday (a bit tough for me to enjoy my own work)

12 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

... a bit tough for me to enjoy my own work ..

We'll do it for you ... can't say i could do that for my dentist.

So far an outstanding work. Thx for this campaign.👍

But is there anybody else who's game is allways crasching in mission 5 after the "2 minutes" call of the squadron leader?

I'll get a freeze and thats it, so i can't progress the campaign🤔

1 hour ago, easterling77 said:

i can't progress the campaign

You can finish the mission already at that point (do it before it freezes). It will be acknowledged as completed, and the next will be accessible. It's a pity to not be able to enjoy the way back, but as far as I understand from previous posts the freeze problem lies somewhere in the game itself, not in the mission code.

Edited by yeikov

On 10/28/2020 at 7:41 AM, easterling77 said:

So far an outstanding work. Thx for this campaign.👍

But is there anybody else who's game is allways crasching in mission 5 after the "2 minutes" call of the squadron leader?

I'll get a freeze and thats it, so i can't progress the campaign🤔

After dropping your bombs on the convoy and bridge head west to the frontline marked and bail out in friendly territory, mission will complete and you can progress

In a later mission the AI will have planes crashing into each other as they taxi to the runway, they crash a bit differently every time so on about my 5th or 6th try they all managed to make it to the runway and take off

3 hours ago, WM_KMS said:

After dropping your bombs on the convoy and bridge head west to the frontline marked and bail out in friendly territory, mission will complete and you can progress

In a later mission the AI will have planes crashing into each other as they taxi to the runway, they crash a bit differently every time so on about my 5th or 6th try they all managed to make it to the runway and take off

Yeah - this logic was working correctly when the campaign was built, something happened to the hard-coded AI logic and they're still having problems here it seems.

Beyond my control or I'd fix it.