Psyrion

Slow motion Career mode

Posted (edited)

OK so first of all for anyone using Patrick Wilson's Campaign Generator, despite all my tweaks I have finally come to realise I need to run PWCG ground density on "low" to have a *smooth enough* experience in very busy missions (like 1-2 out of every 10 missions). The ground attack missions are the most busy, and I still get significant frame drops when in a big battle. I now have air density on medium/high - I set it to high and tweaked the values down a bit. I tweaked a few other settings, to minimal change, so nothing worth noting specifically (delete planes distance, lower carriage count on trains, smoke). Turning off "create random ground units" has a small effect, but also a big negative effect on immersion. I'm very surprised at how busy it still is on "low" for ground, and I honestly don't understand why Patrick made such crazy settings, my computer is not exactly slow... it's kind of the last generations fastest gaming system, but I can't run medium medium for these busy missions, even with heavy overclocks and optimisation. This is a topic for PWCG threads I know, but suffice to say it has been covered since ROF as it's an issue that's been around for a while, probably due to so many random objects being generated for some missions.

It is the same issue as slow motion for vanilla campaign mode, but probably higher stress levels are coming from the PWCG generated scenarios. I'll play some vanilla campaign in depth at some point and we'll see what happens.

That said, I think anyone can benefit from what Lemon has shared, and I'll add my process to the mix, as I have had significant performance boosts and lowered stuttering to almost nothing. As it's a long list I'll put the key points in bold:

LIST OF THINGS I DID TO FIX THE SLOW MOTION AND STUTTERS -
I had much more success with stutters, and some progress with slow motion but still hit a wall on PWCG:

• I discovered my BIOS overclocks were all reset, so I turned 4.0Ghz with 4.4 turbo into a 4.8Ghz. As mentioned I also OC'd my RAM upto 2133 (it had been on default 1333).

Also importantly I turned off hyper threading and then all C states (I have yet to experiment turning some back on and leaving Speedstep).

The above 3 bullets, in particular the power management/C states + HT, were the source of my greatest improvements in smoothness and responsiveness (lower latency).

I also followed the links about display you posted Lemon for improved frame times/Vsync and so on. I have "fast" enabled for NCP vsync which eliminated tearing before I started tweaking, but the 0.01 frame time fix subjectively seems to be nice and I already had CRU and an overclocked Catleap monitor so it's helpful to know how to tweak this more.

Overall with EVERYTHING, I notice a much much smoother and more beautiful game. The response times of my edtracker, mouse, joystick and the smoothness of being able to see frames at 105 nearly all of the time alongside the improved input response times is brilliant. I can turn indicators and HUD on and off with (almost) zero slow down now on a quick mission or on a campaign with lower settings (activating map is a little different). Quick mission has close to zero frame drops, with 16 planes. Settings are all close to Ultra/Maximum on 1440p, I don't want to write every setting down now! HDR is off, Shadows High, Sharpening on, SSAO on. If I had lower than 90 frames most of the time I would consider turning SSAO off.

When things get busy on the ground, and there is a lot going on in PWCG in particular, the game has a higher threshold now before slowdown, but it's still pretty bad. I don't know how to fix this, and I think it may be unresolvable from a hardware end for me. I don't expect turning graphics down will change this, but maybe playing with audio bitrate? Although I have Realtek onboard sound chip which should mean my sound is not CPU dependent I think. I don't know how much better the next gen gaming systems will deal with this, I suppose bandwidth is better across the board, and there will be more cores available...

Lastly, Lemon about the single core. I don't believe it runs on one core alone, but it uses single core a bit more sometimes or often. I have noticed on the hardware monitor, but I haven't done extensive monitoring. Also it has been said on these forums and also elsewhere, il2 is heavy on single core use, and games in general are still single core dependent as a whole. I could be wrong about this but I still want to try to get the turbo working! I'll try over the next few days and see what results I get.

Edited by MeeGee
  • Like 1

I have checked with C states on now for the turbo single thread overclock, it's really not worth it. I get about 50% increase in latency scores in latencymon with the C states for only an extra 2% in the OC, so I'll be keeping them off and keeping seperate profiles in my BIOS for gaming, and the most hardcore profile for il2... ;)

@MeeGee

wow man, you did some work lol,

thanks for the link to the tool to convert to msi mode, I went on this site but did not saw that software, I ll use it for sure.

About the game and cores utilization, when I play all 4 cores are pretty much even in usage , it s why I told you that.. strange

Also, about the commands  (  bcdedit) there is something missing on all forum about this, like the command to useplatformclock true, and deleting the value, you can tell to not use the 

plaform clock too, otherwise, if you just delete the value, windows will decide wich one it will use. Hope you understand my English here lol.

anyway I saved in txt format all the possible commands I know about the system timer in case I need but when using windows 10 pretty much the only one usefull will be bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes , as I understand it help for laptop to save battery 

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
bcdedit /set useplatformclock false
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes   (save battery ?)
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

bcdedit /deletevalue disabledynamictick

bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced
bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Legacy
bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Default
bcdedit /deletevalue tscsyncpolicy

interesting links lot of interesting stuff, thanks

Posted (edited)

On 14/4/2018 at 8:43 PM, Lemon said:

sorry in advance for the long post, but something strange to me, i m sure there is a mistake or a bug inside camera files or something related(edited: like the input noise setting) since 3.001

that a tester or a dev could understand a way better than me

This week i made lot of improvement with bios,window driver and ingame settings, you cant imagine how many tests i did,

i got a smooth gameplay now, but.. there was those strange series of consecutive micro-stutters still time to time when zooming

out of nowhere,, i mean i could dogfight in an cloudy  area of 8vs vs 8vs fighters with tracer everywhere  since 10 minutes then just when zooming

this happen, the only setting that change this behavior to me it was to raise up the texture quality or to remove any texture optimization in the driver tab,

i know i tough it should be the opposite but touching those setting had effect of the stutters in strength but not to remove it from the game.

I did  some improvement with the  window timers inside the bios and the bcdedit commands of windows,i installled RTSS to control my frametimes etc etc...

That help a lot for the hardware performances and the smooth of the game play but those (sometimes) micro series of stutters was coming back, one time or another

when i was zooming, and Thursday night i decide to turn off ingame noise reduction input setting  to Zero and the joystick Smoothness setting to Zero, i cant remember the order, or if i closed the game or the computer before trying some test again, and if i touched my opentrack smoothness setting too but only thing i m sure, it is the only 2 ingame or driver settings i touched just before  all those micro-stutters behaviors disappear for good on the same test i do all the time, it is strange cause i did tried to change those settings before with no good result, but i swear, i did try to fix that all week and just with a kind of luck after doing some changes everything is smooth,, not "almost" it is even better than before 3.001.

Now even if i try to zoom inside a high texture area i raised up all texture settings, i turned my head very fast to zoom into a cloud when i follow a smoking engine AI plane, i just cant reproduce the stutters, not even one time since 3 days and i cant even tell someone  what exactly fixed this after working on it since weeks...

Also, maybe this could be related, sometime when i open the Camera settings inside the game, all values are to Zero... just closing it and going back inside the menu and i can see my own setting again, like the one i use like the FOV speed, dont know if there is a problem with some files, this happen rarely though, but it did just before doing this post.

Also,  i already said in the track ir issue thread on the forum, that the roll problem that some people have could be related to a camera files inside the game cause when i turned down all ingame and opentrack settings smoothness  to zero, the camera got very strange behaviors, not moving my head, very steady looking 180 deg and there is a roll effect by itself,

where those inputs come from ?? and the effect change depend how camera setting ... and since devs insist they did nt change any track ir files but we are too many to have a problem with that just after the 3.001 there must be a problem elsewhere.. and camera setting files are related to track ir behavior in game, that is a fact.

Sorry again for the long post and my English mistakes, but i got a very strong feeling there can not be a hotfix performance to fix this ...almost everyone talk about performance problem of 3.001 but all the things i m  telling point in other direction to me, i only have a 970 and everything is set to max with TXAA over it and FPS keep to over 65 (on a monitor to 65Hz) all the time with a gpu usage average of 75%, and stutters are gone even when i tried to reproduce it....

well....

good day sir

Hi Lemon, i have exactlly the same problem like you, do you resolved it? i have tried all posible configuration in setting menu, but nothing works to me, only reduce a lot stutter but always is there

Edited by -=PHX=-Geo-

5 minutes ago, MeeGee said:

I have checked with C states on now for the turbo single thread overclock, it's really not worth it. I get about 50% increase in latency scores in latencymon with the C states for only an extra 2% in the OC, so I'll be keeping them off and keeping seperate profiles in my BIOS for gaming, and the most hardcore profile for il2... ;)

I m pretty sure, you can keep some c-states enable, or auto, when you use the high performance window mode I think cpu cant enter  in c-states , making a shortcut to the power saving setting on the desktop, so it take 3 seconds to change from power saver to high performance

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, -=PHX=-Geo- said:

Hi Lemon, i have exactlly the same problem like you, do you resolved it? i have tried all posible configuration in setting menu, but nothing works to me, only reduce a lot stutter but always is there

HI.

yes game is way better, but it don't take much of changes in my settings to get it back, my game was stutters free in scattered mode, switch to dense and stutters are back,

I think there is still a problem with the game processes, something with the synchronism or whatever I don't know, and every post about this on the forum could be from the same problem source, some say only MP stuttering, other say it is with force feed back etc...  I cant understand so heavy stutters in ( dense mode) when cpu is at 35-40% and gpu to less than 60% with all those tweaks to make my system as responsive as possible it could be  :wacko: ..  

That said I m still doing some other tests (experiments would be better said lol) with process lasso these day, to see if changing some cpu priorities in process could help,  like the desktop rendering thing (dwe.exe)

also, you got to be sure cpu and gpu are not getting to 100% usage anytime before trying to fix stutters, did you tried to check your latencies, drivers, if you had more than one audio driver and controller etc... everything help to get the most of your hardware , just be sure to do a restore point before in case you mess up lol

edit:with info found on the forum, input filter setting to zero, and camera setting to 100% could be the best right now to help for stutters,  adjust your track ir settings from there after, let me know how it goes, I m eager to know what help the most, I still don't understand where the problem come from really

Edited by Lemon

@Lemon

Haha, yeah my computer was due some maintenance anyway so... il2 was just the motivation to get it done! I also vacuum cleaned the whole system inside and out and changed my cooling paste, not that this would have affected stutters ;)

20 hours ago, Lemon said:

I m pretty sure, you can keep some c-states enable, or auto, when you use the high performance window mode I think cpu cant enter  in c-states , making a shortcut to the power saving setting on the desktop, so it take 3 seconds to change from power saver to high performance

about this, all I know is I turned the 3 C states on apart from Speedstep and I got worse latencymon scores. I now have a 2nd configuration running at 4.7Ghz with hyper threading on and all C states on, I'll make the shortcut to Windows power management as you suggest, good idea.

I might try some il2 out with this but to be honest I'm happy that one BIOS profile is for il2 and one or 2 other games and 4.7Ghz with HT and C states is for everything else. Then I have a 3rd default profile for my work install... ;)

19 hours ago, Lemon said:

edit:with info found on the forum, input filter setting to zero, and camera setting to 100% could be the best right now to help for stutters,  adjust your track ir settings from there after, let me know how it goes, I m eager to know what help the most, I still don't understand where the problem come from really

is this fix for people who use trackir only? I use edtracker...

Also about hpet settings, I used these 2 only. I might play with your list but my latency scores are so good now I doubt it will change much:

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

For now I'm done with tweaking, as I have made good progress. I'll spend a little time over the next weeks refining my BIOS overclock settings and I'll probably revisit this thread.

I think it would be good for one of us to post our lists of fixes on the forum as a separate topic so the info is at the top of the topic in case anyone finds this useful. Shall I or you do it, or we can both do it? ;) I can make a thread and then @ you... :)

thanks again

@MeeGee

hi again sir !  your welcome

about ir tracker I don't know, some people suggest to keep those setting to mitigate the stutters so I keep that way to get all chances on my side.

for the bcedit commands, I just wanted to let you know all the commands possible since the infos on the web look little incomplete on that matter :)

I often began to make a guide but I was nt sure if people would find it useful since I don't know the exact source of the problem, and English is my second language so

I may just be not clear enough in explanations.
If you want to make one thread go for it, I wont have much time soon cause my work but I ll upvote your guide for sure  .

ps: if you change your thermal paste again,if I may suggest..  I use liquidmetal ultra  for my 970 and inside my delid 6600k and the metal pads (for aluminium heat sink ) between the 6600k and the noctua-12s, from Coollaboratory and it is true about the temps reduction results found on the net, I got at least 20 Celcius less even with oc settings,

I wish you have a great summer !