Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It seems the ME will not now open old missions now we're updating to 3.001.

 

The workaround is - it seems - to delete the .msnbin files. Here's a post I made in the general discussion forum:

 

Quote

 

  31 minutes ago, von_Tom said:

What changes will be needed to old missions, if any?

 

von Tom

 

Just tried it out. You've got to delete all the .msnbin files, and then the ME will open the .mission files, which you will then re-save, thus generating fresh new .msnbin files. Which the game will then open.

 

It's a bit of a bore, but it's not hard, and it's pretty quick to do. I'm updating our training missions as we speak!

 

Edit: actually, Tom, you don't even have to do that, at least for SP missions. Once you've deleted the .msnbin files, the game will happily run the SP missions. I suspect that's not going to be the case for MP, though. We'll probably still need to resave, in order to generate new .msnbin files. Good news for SP guys, though.

 

Double-edit! Scripted campaign missions will also need to be resaved. The game won't even show the missions in the UI without their .msnbin files!.

 

 

 

Edit: Testing continues! When resaving, you've got to - I think, re-adjust the weather too.

Edited by No601_Swallow
Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be possible to text-edit a .msnbin file? Dunno, though.

 

I assume if you don't have the .mission file, it's because it's an MP mission you've got - in which case maybe the original author will update and run the mission again?

 

(But make sure you haven't got the .mission file. If you can see it in Windows explorer, the ME will open it. You've just got to start typing the title of the .mission file in the "open file" dialogue box.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another way is to just open the editor to a new mission then go to Tools -> Resave All Missions in Folder - this will remove the need to rename/delete the .msnbin files.

 

If you're going to do this I recommend that you take a copy of anything first and leave enough time for your PC to process the save process.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KG200_Volker said:

So what if we don't have the .mission file??

You loose the mission, you must always keep the mission file to avoid that problem. Maybe find someone which keep an old version and who can generate the mission file.

 

Put your mission file here, i have maybe an old version on an another Pc.

Edited by Habu
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, =LG=Kathon said:

It's possible to open msnbin file in mission editor and save it as mission file.

Not if the the binary change. The msnbin is the binary. So yes if the version doesn't change, and no if the version change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, No601_Swallow said:

It seems the ME will not now open old missions now we're updating to 3.001.

 

The workaround is - it seems - to delete the .msnbin files. Here's a post I made in the general discussion forum:

 

 

 

Edit: Testing continues! When resaving, you've got to - I think, re-adjust the weather too.

Thank you Habu, recently updated to 3.001 and all the scripted campaign and sp mission don´t open (except 10 days of autumn). So, lets to do your instructions (of course saving a copy for security)

Edited by Walter_Nowotny
Add few words
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, No601_Swallow said:

It seems the ME will not now open old missions now we're updating to 3.001.

 

The workaround is - it seems - to delete the .msnbin files. Here's a post I made in the general discussion forum:

 

 

 

Edit: Testing continues! When resaving, you've got to - I think, re-adjust the weather too.

Work fine. I resaved one SP mission and is ok. Just in case, is "save", not "save as"

Edited by Walter_Nowotny
Add few words
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Habu said:

Not if the the binary change. The msnbin is the binary. So yes if the version doesn't change, and no if the version change.

Sorry, but I don't understand. What version are you writing about: file or game?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have y'all tried this tried and true work around with the new update?

Haven't yet but will get into all things ME over the coming days as I'm sure you are.

Tip

 

Edit a Mission Without the Mission Source File

If you do not have the source file (.mission) that the editor works with, you can still edit a mission. You need only the following:
- The mission binary file (.msnbin), which is what actually runs in IL-2 Sturmovik.
- The localization files (.eng, .fra, .ger, and so on) if the mission is translated into various languages.

For more details on localization, see Provide a Mission in Various Languages (pg. 49).
Note: A multiplayer mission on a mission participant's computer normally does not include the .mission file. The .mission file is left out of the DServer mission download directory in order to save download time.
Do the following:
1. In the editor File menu, click Open.
2. Type *.* in the File Name box and press Enter.
3. Navigate to your game folder and then to the directory containing the mission that you want to edit.
    The singleplayer directory is \data\Missions.
    The multiplayer directory is \data\Multiplayer\Dogfight.
4. Choose your mission file that ends with .msnbin and click Open.
    The editor opens the binary file. You can now edit the mission.
5. Save the mission with the original name or a new name
    Your mission is saved with a .mission suffix.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't work - the .msnbin files have changed with the release of BoK - same thing happened when they went to DX11 - major changes to the game mean that the binary files from previous versions won't work. The fix you suggest will only work after minor changes

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, [DBS]Tx_Tip said:

Have y'all tried this tried and true work around with the new update?

Haven't yet but will get into all things ME over the coming days as I'm sure you are.

Tip

 

Edit a Mission Without the Mission Source File

If you do not have the source file (.mission) that the editor works with, you can still edit a mission. You need only the following:
- The mission binary file (.msnbin), which is what actually runs in IL-2 Sturmovik.
- The localization files (.eng, .fra, .ger, and so on) if the mission is translated into various languages.

For more details on localization, see Provide a Mission in Various Languages (pg. 49).
Note: A multiplayer mission on a mission participant's computer normally does not include the .mission file. The .mission file is left out of the DServer mission download directory in order to save download time.
Do the following:
1. In the editor File menu, click Open.
2. Type *.* in the File Name box and press Enter.
3. Navigate to your game folder and then to the directory containing the mission that you want to edit.
    The singleplayer directory is \data\Missions.
    The multiplayer directory is \data\Multiplayer\Dogfight.
4. Choose your mission file that ends with .msnbin and click Open.
    The editor opens the binary file. You can now edit the mission.
5. Save the mission with the original name or a new name
    Your mission is saved with a .mission suffix.

Tip your process is fine only when the binary  which is the msnbin don't change. If it change, you can't load the msnbin in the editor, you'll have an error. That's why you must always have the .mission file. You can load any .mission file, even if the binary file change.

 

10 hours ago, KG200_Volker said:

Thank you for  helping, got a friend before he updates and I resaved them. Pheeeww

Good to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.3.2018 at 8:30 PM, TP_Silk said:

Another way is to just open the editor to a new mission then go to Tools -> Resave All Missions in Folder - this will remove the need to rename/delete the .msnbin files.

 

If you're going to do this I recommend that you take a copy of anything first and leave enough time for your PC to process the save process.

 

Thath did the trick for me :salute:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 8:06 AM, [DBS]Tx_Tip said:

Have y'all tried this tried and true work around with the new update?

Haven't yet but will get into all things ME over the coming days as I'm sure you are.

Tip

 

Edit a Mission Without the Mission Source File

If you do not have the source file (.mission) that the editor works with, you can still edit a mission. You need only the following:
- The mission binary file (.msnbin), which is what actually runs in IL-2 Sturmovik.
- The localization files (.eng, .fra, .ger, and so on) if the mission is translated into various languages.

For more details on localization, see Provide a Mission in Various Languages (pg. 49).
Note: A multiplayer mission on a mission participant's computer normally does not include the .mission file. The .mission file is left out of the DServer mission download directory in order to save download time.
Do the following:
1. In the editor File menu, click Open.
2. Type *.* in the File Name box and press Enter.
3. Navigate to your game folder and then to the directory containing the mission that you want to edit.
    The singleplayer directory is \data\Missions.
    The multiplayer directory is \data\Multiplayer\Dogfight.
4. Choose your mission file that ends with .msnbin and click Open.
    The editor opens the binary file. You can now edit the mission.
5. Save the mission with the original name or a new name
    Your mission is saved with a .mission suffix.

 

 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've only had this work for me twice.  Once with the Berloga mission, and next with a Wings of Liberty mission.

 

Since those first two attempts, nothing new that I try to edit is available in game when I'm try to create a server. 

 

Ex. I am trying to edit a Wings of Liberty mission; open it in editor, change the airfield planes to include the A20, save it with a 19 in front of the name so I can find it easily in the list.  Except when I get in game and go to create a server, that mission is not available.  This is the same for both Kuban and Stalingrad maps (haven't tried Moscow), and I make sure that they are not winter maps.

 

I've tried checking and reloading the terrain and GUI map, but nothing seems to work. 

 

Anybody have an idea of what step I'm missing?  How'd I get it to work for Berloga and one WoL mission, but none of the others?  :dash:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 19//Tuesday said:

 

 

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've only had this work for me twice.  Once with the Berloga mission, and next with a Wings of Liberty mission.

 

Since those first two attempts, nothing new that I try to edit is available in game when I'm try to create a server. 

 

Ex. I am trying to edit a Wings of Liberty mission; open it in editor, change the airfield planes to include the A20, save it with a 19 in front of the name so I can find it easily in the list.  Except when I get in game and go to create a server, that mission is not available.  This is the same for both Kuban and Stalingrad maps (haven't tried Moscow), and I make sure that they are not winter maps.

 

I've tried checking and reloading the terrain and GUI map, but nothing seems to work. 

 

Anybody have an idea of what step I'm missing?  How'd I get it to work for Berloga and one WoL mission, but none of the others?  :dash:

 

 

Did you save you new missions under the \Multiplayer\Dogfight folder?

 

Did you have a number at the start of the file names of the missions that worked? You can try removing the number to see if that helps.

 

Do your new missions have a different name in Mission Properties than the WoL mission you based it on? I'm not sure if the in-game MP mission-selection list acts like the SP mission list. Maybe you need to delete the cache files as per the forth bullet on pg. 183 of the editor manual.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jim et Schneemann (I'll have to "upvote" tomorrow because I reached my limit today!)

 

I did make sure to save the Mission Properties name to match that of the save file, as initially I thought that may be the issue - no joy.

 

Will try it without the 19th as the beginning.  I have also been sure to save to the \Multiplayer\Dogfight section, but maybe I will try saving elsewhere and dropping the file into that directory. 

 

Not sure how I missed that when I was reading through the troubleshooting section of your manual, Jim.  Thanks for the page reference. 

 

Edit:  I'm not sure whether it was removing 19th from the beginning (shouldn't be, used it the first time without issue), or clearing the cache, but it appears fixed.  Can find my missions in game now.  Thank you both very much!  :salute:

Edited by 19//Tuesday
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, 19//Tuesday said:

...

Edit:  I'm not sure whether it was removing 19th from the beginning (shouldn't be, used it the first time without issue), or clearing the cache, but it appears fixed.  Can find my missions in game now.  Thank you both very much!  :salute:

 

My money is on the cache.  :)

 

Glad to hear you were successful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...