Jason_Williams

Game version 3.001 discussion: Final Release of the Battle of Kuban

Incredible work you guys have done. Thank you so much and keep it up !

56 minutes ago, SAS_Storebror said:

I've been talking about AI planes.

The thread I've linked contains a very simple test mission with just two flights of 4 bombers each on it.

If you see something that's "not correctly set up" on it, please be my guest and let me know.

Once again: Prior to 3.001 update, on version 2.012, this test mission and it's much bigger "real" brother were running perfectly fine with no CPU load issues at all.

Cheers!

Mike

You are correct on this point. We have avoided bombers so far because of their CPU consumption. I'm going to check you file in order to improve myself in mission editing.

I must say that up to 2.012 the CPU consumption of AI bombers was significant compared to any other AI plane, but nothing to be worried about too much as long as you own a reasonably powerful server to run the missions on (which we do).

With 3.001 though, AI bombers are a no-go and AI fighter planes basically too, only very small numbers will work and only if there's not too many human players around at the same time too.

Definitely something to look into for the devs.

If I understand correctly, other servers are suffering from overloads since this update too, so this is a rather important issue.

Cheers!

Mike

1 hour ago, Wanderfalke said:

Roll axes work fine when looking forward, but do not work when looking to the sides and are inverted when looking to the back.

Hope this will be fixed soon. btw i'm using opentrack.

It seems plenty of people with both TrackIR and OpenTrack are running into this issue with 3.0. 

Add a post here so we can keep the conversation going about this issue: 

16 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Just make a new profile for Sturmovik. Doesn't take long. I don't see anyone else complaining about this and I have had no problems with my TrackIR profiles. We also didn't make any changes to how TrackIR works. Something just went amiss. It happens.

Jason

Jason, It looks like I am far from the only person experiencing this issue. Not the only 'complainer'.  Can this issue be looked at some point? Disabling Roll axis seems to be a semi-okay fix but it does limit the view some depending on what cockpit you are in. It puts players in a severe competitive disadvantage when going defensive in a dogfight.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic update!

I downloaded and played for 3 or 4 hours last night. I realise that some are having issues but for me it all works perfectly! FPS are roughly the same and the game plays smoothly. The new aircraft are great, especially the polished P39 and A20! The La5Fn is a monster!!! But the extended draw distance and the rain are simply fantastic.

Thanks to all involved...........Brilliant stuff!!!

Cheers

17 minutes ago, keeno said:

Fantastic update!

I downloaded and played for 3 or 4 hours last night. I realise that some are having issues but for me it all works perfectly! FPS are roughly the same and the game plays smoothly. The new aircraft are great, especially the polished P39 and A20! The La5Fn is a monster!!! But the extended draw distance and the rain are simply fantastic.

Thanks to all involved...........Brilliant stuff!!!

Cheers

Your specs? system?

Playing in VR? if yes, which one?

Did you just install the update, or totaly reinstalled?

Edited by 3.IAP_Vasilij

The new horizon/skybox looks great and the career mode is awesome, albeit the UI is a little "modern" for my tastes. The facegen is handy although some of the generated faces are pretty creepy. :lol:

Is there a section on any of the career pages that tells the player how many aircraft are available, how many are in repair and how many have been written off? This would be really handy. Little details like that make SP careers special and memorable for me.

Also, do historical aces appear in the playable squadrons? Do historical aces appear in the missions?

Can we get a breakdown of what changes between Easy/Moderate/Hard difficulties? AA numbers? AI skill? Etc.

The AI is working out pretty nicely too. They're sticking to objectives/priorities pretty well and lawndarting seems less frequently in the two hours I played.

Overall, happy to be along for the ride and looking forward to BoBP/FC/TC in the future.

Help me someone please how to enable radio chatter in sp career. Pressing H doesnt work.

3.IAP_Vasilij

No I don't play VR, I have a triple monitor set up, 3 x's 23" screens. I didn't reinstall, just downloaded and updated. My graphics card is a GTX980ti and plays everything on highest settings.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Wanderfalke said:

Roll axes work fine when looking forward, but do not work when looking to the sides and are inverted when looking to the back.

Hope this will be fixed soon. btw i'm using opentrack.

Same to me. When looking to sides my virtual head is pushed to center  of the cockpit. Also using opentrack.

48 minutes ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

Just install the update.

You are the best. Thanks

1 minute ago, senseispcc said:

For the first time today I tried simple one on one combat mission and I must say that it is horrible, a tragedy, the fps with one enemy and me in alone dropped to 20 or less?! 

And the target markers do not work at all! No sign of them at all. So once I lose the target due to stutter no way to find him back until he finds me?!

Not good at all, stutter in one to one I dear not try the campaigns. :salute:

You might consider doing a clean install. Some others have reported good success in doing that, where they were getting very poor performance after the update. 

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Honestly. I find it kind of ugly. It's like a big blob messing up the beauty of that cockpit. But I do understand your point view. I would at least like the option to remove it.

Bummer. Maybe one day it will be.

Thanks though. :)

Funny, I love the mirror though it makes me dizzy. No, really, I pull the stick, bank left, look up and see terrain moving in a different direction. It`s like my mind can`t take it.

1 hour ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

Just install the update.

Hmm I just arrived home. Where is the update?

1 hour ago, Space_Ghost said:

Is there a section on any of the career pages that tells the player how many aircraft are available, how many are in repair and how many have been written off? This would be really handy. Little details like that make SP careers special and memorable for me.

Also, do historical aces appear in the playable squadrons? Do historical aces appear in the missions?

Can we get a breakdown of what changes between Easy/Moderate/Hard difficulties? AA numbers? AI skill? Etc.

In answer to your first question. Unit HQ tab, scroll down below that wall of text (Unit history) and you will find airplane status at the very bottom. I suggested the wall of text be placed below the unit info...feel free to make that suggestion [hint...hint]

No historical aces to my knowledge.

I don't have an answer to the last. IMO there are more ace (sniper) AI the higher you go. 

A few things to consider about (graphic) performence issues:

- New cloud technology and settigs have HUGE impact on FPS. If you use the medium or low quality preset fps go up significantly (they still looks good).

- Using full 150km rendering range also has HUGE impact on performence (more than 3 times of the previous version). Reduce gradually to see what suits your system best.

- The new 4k option only affects skins for the A-20 B and IL-2 1943. No other aircraft has official 4k skins yet.

Since this is a huge update a reinstall might also help if nothing else works for you.

2 hours ago, blackram said:

Both online and offline but online is worse. On the "microstutter" topic Jason suggest to tick 4k  option and that helped some guys..I will try that when I get home....BTW if it is really that Im not surprise some new future "broke the engine".

The engine isn't 'broken'. We've tested performence extensively and on multiple systems so any severe performence issues are special cases.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Lubos said:

Another bug that just happened to me was that guns on my 109 G-2 wouldn't fire even though I was full on ammo and my plane wasn't damaged. This was in multiplayer. Landing and taking another plane didn't fix it, only after I restarted the game my guns started to work again.

Our squad was flying on coconut last night, on the final sortie 2 guys in P40s went to strafe and reported guns did not fire. One was knocked down by the flak soon after so no real chance to experiment, second guy could never get his hotas to fire guns (they had been carrying bombs and dropped them ok so do not appear to have selectee an empty loadout). One uses X52 the other guy another simpler hotas. Second guy went offline SP and guns worked fine with HOTAS. Unfortunately never had thought to suggest either tried keyboard fire. It was the only occasions it happened in 3 missions (15-16 actual flights) and never happened to me. Maybe I put a bug report in as it does not appear to be a single occurence.

11 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

A few things to consider about (graphic) performence issues:

- New cloud technology and settigs have HUGE impact on FPS. If you use the medium or low quality preset fps go up significantly (they still looks good).

- Using full 150km rendering range also has HUGE impact on performence (more than 3 times of the previous version). Reduce gradually to see what suits your system best.

- The new 4k option only affects skins for the A-20 B and IL-2 1943. No other aircraft has official 4k skins yet.

Since this is a huge update a reinstall might also help if nothing else works for you.

The engine isn't 'broken'. We've tested performence extensively and on multiple systems so any severe performence issues are special cases.

First of all, before patch I didnt have a single microstutter. Secondly no matter what setting on clouds or any other visuals I applied - microstutters are still there. It seams turning on 4k textures option fixes the problem with microstutters. Read forums. So there is a direct connection with that option and microstutters. Yep there istn any sense in that but it works. Apparently BOx engine is a special beast. Such odd stuff happened before when a big update comes.

So almost every time a large patch comes out, new features being introduced, some have probs with performance. That is how it is. Just dont blame it on ppl or their rigs because that is ridiculous since game run smooth before updates.

Edited by blackram
  • Upvote 1

Played a few hours last night, didn't see any issues and performance was more or less the same. TrackIR worked properly. Didn't try online, need to setup new HOTAS to do that.

Love the update, flying in VR here.

Campaign runs smooth,  with icons ON and also with them off, but when pressing the key to turn them ON or OFF there is a long pause(ruins the experience)

Love the new career, clouds, visibility (I have it at 70KM) new terrain/colors are definitely more alive and real.

Love the G6, the Yak and A 20.

P 39 , please make the mirror optional, eats lots of frames and its there even if mirrors off selected.

Thank you guys

5 hours ago, elcubano said:

Shark nets in the beautiful Wolga

is this a bug related to the new update ?

I got a MSI Geforce 1050ti newest driver - please some advices

2018_3_15__9_27_46kk.jpg

I used to have these also.

Try to use only validated option (with an Nvidia logo) in the Nvidia Configuration application, especialy sparse grid supersampling options.

I got rid of this like that (and got +10 FPS!!!).

Thank you - disabled Supersampling in Nvidia Driver and glitches disapeared

23 minutes ago, blackram said:

First of all, before patch I didnt have a single microstutter. Secondly no matter what setting on clouds or any other visuals I applied - microstutters are still there. It seams turning on 4k textures option fixes the problem with microstutters. Read forums. So there is a direct connection with that option and microstutters. Yep there istn any sense in that but it works. Apparently BOx engine is a special beast. Such odd stuff happened before when a big update comes.

So almost every time a large patch comes out, new features being introduced, some have probs with performance. That is how it is. Just dont blame it on ppl or their rigs because that is ridiculous since game run smooth before updates.

Ram, this update has introduced a fair number of graphics enhancements that will affect performance. I don’t know if you have tried these settings but for most it seems to sort out the micro-stutters (full screen off Vsync on and 4K textures) Using these settings have removed the stutters on my PC. Those folks with mid to low end rigs will either have to turn some of the settings down or upgrade. Ultra Shadows on my PC lose me 15 FPS so I’ve set them to high. With this massive update some problems are inevitable, but I’m 100% sure the devs will Iron them out.

I must say I am impressed by the enormous update we have recived , but I have to say I was a little dissapointed when I discovered the bombardier did not have a cockpit. I would rather not have the bellygunner if there ever was a choice. That canopy was gold when it came to navigation and searching for target

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

27 minutes ago, blackram said:

If what you say is true it's odd this issue didn't appear during testing.

And yes I do read the forum and there's plenty of people who feel fine with their performence so I can only repeat it is not entirely the games' fault nor is the engine 'broken' by the large amount of content introduced.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 6./ZG26_5tuka said:

We've tested performence extensively and on multiple systems so any severe performence issues are special cases.

Does this statement cover DServer performance issues as well?

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by SAS_Storebror
Edited because reply caused multiple occurance of same post

Yeah, a rundown of the campaign options would be nice. I've selecting all the middle ones so far.

All works fantastically for me (which doers not always happen with updates) so congratulations to the whole team and thank you for the huge amount of effort that went into this. With all that you have done to this point, I can only begin to wonder what Bodenplatte might become.

I have all the premium stuff and aircraft for BoX, but as a 'thank you', I will buy the last 2 (?) RoF aircraft that I do not yet have.

Excellent work on the update!  Congratulations on this milestone achievement in il2 series. 

The career mode is great, the stats tracking of pilots and units, dynamic mission types, flow of events, all fit natual and immersed you into the atmosphere of a ww2 pilot. Great job career programmers!

The engine itself is much improved. The framerate is overall higher with more units and action going on screen. the landscape looks much better and the level of detail transition all flow smoothly and you can barely see the change in object detail if your specifically looking for it. No more of that poping effect of terrain detail drastically and very noticeably changing.

Great work on COOP multiplayer mode and being able to self host server from your computer while playing.

I can't wait for a dynamic multiplayer COOP campaign generator to come later.

The development team is very talented and skilled on AAA+ professional level and sure a lot more surprises and feature upgrades are coming and can't wait.

Well, Now we are flooding the forums with bugs and issues.

I am aware of the tremendous amount of work and effort that must have been put to develop the update.

I am one of those posting +1 to some in several of the different bug threads.

I know Jason and the rest of the team are professional software developers and know this waaaaay better that i do, but I just wanted to tell them,

GREAT JOB!!!! It is really amazing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Of course there are bugs that you did not detected, but we all are confident that the team will work to fix them.

13 minutes ago, Chipi said:

Well, Now we are flooding the forums with bugs and issues.

I am aware of the tremendous amount of work and effort that must have been put to develop the update.

I am one of those posting +1 to some in several of the different bug threads.

I know Jason and the rest of the team are professional software developers and know this waaaaay better that i do, but I just wanted to tell them,

GREAT JOB!!!! It is really amazing. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Of course there are bugs that you did not detected, but we all are confident that the team will work to fix them.

I agree. I also reported a couple minor issues, but would also like to thank the developers for bringing this to the point where we are now. If it were not for this series, we would be in a much worse place when it comes to current and future outlook for historical flight sims.

I will continue to support this project for as long as I am able. (Just see my badges as proof that I put my money where my mouth is) :P

• Like 1

CTD when loading game after download the update. Every time. Happens almost straightaway, the IL2 Sturmovik logos come up then bam, desktop.

Not Steam, just standalone launcher or game exe. Yes i've restarted the PC.

Game ran before. RoF works fine.

Late at night here, tired and pissed.

I'm sure the update is awesome. The Devs have done great.

Yes it must be my machine. But what?

Caping max FPS to 60 with windowed mode and vsync off worked for me to get rid of microstutters on overcast weather in alpha builds on my rig.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

very good update :

- it's as a new game with more large space  and the two layers of clouds accentuate this sensation .

- horizon is fine

- the game run well and the interface is quicker than before on my pc

- above or under the clouds , these one seems relatively flat , lack of thickness

- with covered weather we can see the blue sky when we are Under the clouds and the trees or objet have shadows on the ground

- 3D vision is corrected but not completly , impossible to get delph at 100% and in cockpit incompatible separation beetween view of cockpit and the external landscape . i am a little desapointed on this point )

but in despite of these little problem it's a very great job .

Looks amazing, excellent work. I'll try it as soon as I got back home,  but we'll be in April, what a bummer!!!

The 4k box/stutter issue was seen apparently during the alpha because it was Jason's video from that build he showed us last night, along with his suggestions, that fixed it.

yes, for some reason enabling 4K textures got rid of all the stuttering , im sure devs will find the reason

Question; 

I've preordered Bodenplatte, but somehow I was able to download the Bos Launcher which now has an 8 gig download running. What gives?