Wolfram-Harms

An Focke-Wulf 190 A-8 in flight - Airshow video

Today I found out that there is an airworthy Focke-Wulf 190 A-8.

Well, almost an original aircraft. She is powered by a 1900 p 14 cylinder Shvetsov ASh-82.

The airframe is original though. The craft was manufactured in Cottbus in July 1944.

Here is short footage from the "Wings over Illawara 2017" airshow in Australia.

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
correction of title
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, but as long as this plane didn´t have an original BMW engine you cant speak of a "real" FW-190 A-8.

Edited by Semor76
  • Upvote 2

Interesting! I didn't know there were any flying Fw-190s other than the one in Paul Allen's collection and the Flug Werk replicas.

Judging by the paintscheme and especially the blown hood I'd say this is a FlugWerk A-8N. Flugwerk specifically purchased a batch of real but unused Focke Wulf Werknummern.

PS: Found the aircraft on YT. It's really a Flugwerk replica.

• Upvote 1

The Channel has several videos of it and in all it's listed as A-8N. But besides that the later blown canopy is a dead giveaway as no Fw 190 produced in July 1944 had it (that's a few months too early).

Well the title says Fw 190 A-8/N. The /N designates a Flugwerk kit (N = Nachbau, replica in german). Maybe they misunderstood a small thing that Flugwerk does - it uses real Focke Wulf tailwheel assemblies for its kits so at least one part is "real". ;)

But the blown canopy plus the Ash-82FN plus the listing in various videos as A-8/N make me pretty confident that this is actually a replica (with a little historical piece of an aircraft).

Edited by csThor

My post posted after yours Thor, I was not trying to contradict you as you are totally correct. Sorry about that!

Maybe that FlugWerk restored the craft? And it has to be named a "Nachbau" because the engine is not original BMW ?
However - the airframe is said to be a Cottbus built 1944 craft, that was captured at Reims after only little deployment.

As the original  population of WWII aircraft dwindle through attrition, more and more will have to be replicas if we want to see them flying. Even today, as numerous as P-51s still are very few, if any are "original". 100% original anyway. In the last 40 years I've read about warbirds, I can't even guess how many times I've read about another one being destroyed in a crash, sadly usually with its pilot still aboard.

The restoration process is so incredibly detailed nowadays, it's impossible to tell what part is original or if it's a replicated piece. If I'm watching a Mustang flyby that's 99% replica, as long as it's built to original standards, I'm not going to know the difference. And that will keep WWII era aircraft flying for many generations to come.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

The only focke wulf operational is an A5 

FW190A5

I have had the privilege watching that bird fly on 2 occasions.  Really great to watch her fly.

5 hours ago, Wolfram-Harms said:

So they lied in that video

It does seem like they did doesn't it ? Dodging import duties or taxes and applying for grants on false pretences I suspect...or just false advertising for promotional purposes ?

The difference between a 'restored' warbird and a 'replica' is often little more than semantics, since 'restoration' can involve replacing everything except the I.D. plate...

• Upvote 2

The engine performance isn't too dissimilar, and the exterior appearance isn't too changed unlike those ugly 109's....

Oh and I hope to see this beauty soon :-)

On 3/13/2018 at 8:49 PM, SJ_Butcher said:

The only focke wulf operational is an A5 

FW190A5

Was this the one recovered in the forests outside Saint Petersburg back in the 90's?

I know they found an A8 in Norway several years back and restored it, though I think it was an external restoration only for museum purposes.

No, this is a Flugwerk replica. It is built with some original parts with the bulk of the aircraft built from new fabricated parts. They are close enough to original that they were granted the next block of production numbers by the copyright holder, Airbus.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf