Wolf8312

Jetseat working with BOS (sound mode)

Aw man if only I had known! For some reason I thought that to use the jetseat with headphones I would need a separate sound card! Nope!

Any hoo I bought some new Razer headphones and plugged them into my jetseat, and not only do I now have a functioning Jetseat in BOS but the headphones themselves have taken things so far beyond my crappy, earbud and no jet-seat experience, that I can't believe I was so stupid to neglect not just jet-seat sound, but proper sound for so long!

In VR with the headphones and the Jetseat working the game feels so much more immersive, I really recommend people get it working though perhaps people already are using it and it's just me who for some stupid reason, hasn't been?

Sure, sound mode is not quite as wonderful and effective as USB mode, but compared to no Jetseat its many many times better! You have to feel it to believe it! Only thing is I need to wear headphones on top of my VR headset now but actually even that feels more immersive somehow as if I am wearing all the heavy head gear. Can no longer listen to audio books while I am flying though and it's not so much the weight (Strangely seem to balance out the vive a bit) but I imagine the heat will get pretty annoying in summer, and it does add on another layer of inconvenience!   

Anyway if you haven't already give it a try!

PS anyone know if theres a way to tinker with the sound files so that there is a little more distinction between say, guns and engine?

Edited by Wolf8312
  • Like 2

I would go for it if I can use it with the Oculus Rift headset, and not have another headset on top.

How exactly does this work in BOS to have it as sound mode?

Is it possible to make it work with just the VR headset?

22 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

I would go for it if I can use it with the Oculus Rift headset, and not have another headset on top.

How exactly does this work in BOS to have it as sound mode?

Is it possible to make it work with just the VR headset?

yeah, it's easy.

1) in windows control panel/sound make sure the Soundcard is set as default sound device

2) in Rift in device settings set audio to Rift but with 'mirror to audio card'

3) plug in jetseat in audio card.

that way you'll have sound in rift headphones + all the yummy body rumbling from the jeatseat.

When using my Gametrix 908 JetSeat, I use 'Sound Mode' for BoX and CloD because they are not compatible with SimShaker for Aviator (SSA) software, but for DCS I change the JetSeat to 'USB Mode' and use SSA. With SSA I then get the specific aircraft type bespoke feedback features that SSA provides smile.gif
With 'Sound Mode' when flying BoX or CloD I get the sound vibrations from the aircraft engine and the game, which is very immersive and feels like I am sitting in a live cockpit seat with the engine running.  I also use a force feedback joystick, which adds another layer of immersion.  It would be great if BoX and CloD were to become compatible with software like SSA, but that is not the case at the moment.  I plan to get VR in the not too distant future and then my flight sim rig will be complete.

I use a splitter (double socket) for the line out green connection (speakers/headset) on my PC when using 'Sound Mode'.
This way I can plug both my headset and my JetSeat into the same line out socket green. This allows me to easily combine the use of my headset and JetSeat in 'Sound Mode' when playing BoX and CloD.
When using DCS, I pull out the JetSeat sound jack from the green line out splitter, because I don't use the JetSeat in 'Sound Mode' for DCS; I use my JetSeat in USB mode with SSA for DCS.

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Upvote 1

So in sound mode in BOS, is Jeatseat the rumble it is just constant or changes with firing guns, adding power /reducing power?

54 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

So in sound mode in BOS, is Jeatseat the rumble it is just constant or changes with firing guns, adding power /reducing power?

Nope, you just have the constant rumble - you won't have any distinctive other vibration cues like landing gear movements, flaps

or guns - it's a bit sad, but that's the way it works in sound mode at the moment.

But, there is a smart guy who already did some great mods for USB which work for DCS where every single vibration module can

be addressed with specific sound cues like for example if you're flying a jet with only one gun on the left you will notice it correctly.

This guy also asked the dev team if there is any chance of getting some data output to be used for his USB mod. But I don't know

if this is still in the pipeline...

As for me, I'm using my gametrix in sound mode too - constant rumble, but very immersive to me, especially when flying with a

radial engine.:rolleyes:

Yeah you dont get all the extra's like gun vibrations, but I do think the engines feel more powerful in sound mode though that could be the illusion created by having a decent sound setup now!

The great and most immersive thing about it for me is how I now really feel close to a roaring and powerful engine! Even if we never get USB I'd say I'm happy enough with the sound mode as it's truly far better!

Edited by Wolf8312

If you are wearing an Oculus Rift headset, i dont undertand, where is the sound changed.

I mean the seat its just vibrating , correct, steady, doesnt increase vibration as you increase power right?

Where is the change in sound? Does the seat has speakers?

It corresponds to sound, so if the engine stops so does the vibration and the louder the sound the stronger the vibration I think though I'm not sure if this is placebo. Anyway trust me it feels very convincing. 

You really have to try it out and see for yourself, like I said not as good as USB but still miles better than nothing. My understanding is that in sound mode it works much like a butt kicker, when I load up the game on the title menu its vibrating at differing frequencies for each specific sound though I think in game the engine tends to drown most things out!

Edited by Wolf8312

just bought my forcefeel (new jetseat)! now need to have patience and wait!

Edited by MacLeod

16 hours ago, MacLeod said:

just bought my forcefeel (new jetseat)! now need to have patience and wait!

Hey let me know what it's like, shame you dont have the one I have with which to compare them! 

Am I correct in thinking that you will only receive yours if they manage to sell 100 units?  This product will only be produced if at least 100 units are supported by May 01, 2018 10:00 (Prague)

Anyway do not despair I know a bit about waiting patiently I am a proud owner of a set of VKB pedals!

Well, they say in the FAQ that they might go through even if they don't sell all the 100. They say that right now is unlikely that they will cancel the project.

So I'm not really concerned with that.

Harder will be the wait!

Will surely let you know how it feels!

I’m agree with OP. I’m using jetseat connected to htc vive headphone output. I’m also using audiophile DAC+tubeamp to power my senheiser hd 800. Overall felling with jetseat is outstanding. Can’t play without jetseat in sound mode. Engine rumble is one thing , ofcourse engine RPM increase/ decrease vibrations and also firing weapon activate front ffb zones of jeatseat. The best feeling I have when fire both pair of weapons. I can recomend sound mode for this game for all VR users. Imerssion level up :)

Edited by TWHYata_PL

21 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

I’m agree with OP. I’m using jetseat connected to htc vive headphone output. I’m also using audiophile DAC+tubeamp to power my senheiser hd 800. Overall felling with jetseat is outstanding. Can’t play without jetseat in sound mode. Engine rumble is one thing , ofcourse engine RPM increase/ decrease vibrations and also firing weapon activate front ffb zones of jeatseat. The best feeling I have when fire both pair of weapons. I can recomend sound mode for this game for all VR users. Imerssion level up :)

I don't have VR yet - however can you help me get mine working? I just got mine today!

Spoiler

h4su4yv.png

On 3/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, Wolf8312 said:

Aw man if only I had known! For some reason I thought that to use the jetseat with headphones I would need a separate sound card! Nope!

Any hoo I bought some new Razer headphones and plugged them into my jetseat, and not only do I now have a functioning Jetseat in BOS but the headphones themselves have taken things so far beyond my crappy, earbud and no jet-seat experience, that I can't believe I was so stupid to neglect not just jet-seat sound, but proper sound for so long!

In VR with the headphones and the Jetseat working the game feels so much more immersive, I really recommend people get it working though perhaps people already are using it and it's just me who for some stupid reason, hasn't been?

Sure, sound mode is not quite as wonderful and effective as USB mode, but compared to no Jetseat its many many times better! You have to feel it to believe it! Only thing is I need to wear headphones on top of my VR headset now but actually even that feels more immersive somehow as if I am wearing all the heavy head gear. Can no longer listen to audio books while I am flying though and it's not so much the weight (Strangely seem to balance out the vive a bit) but I imagine the heat will get pretty annoying in summer, and it does add on another layer of inconvenience!   

Anyway if you haven't already give it a try!

PS anyone know if theres a way to tinker with the sound files so that there is a little more distinction between say, guns and engine?

Which headphone do you guys recommend? My Logitech 930 cuts in and out and it seams a USB headset isn't the way to go with the Jet Seat so if price were no object.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:32 PM, 56RAF_Talisman said:

When using my Gametrix 908 JetSeat, I use 'Sound Mode' for BoX and CloD because they are not compatible with SimShaker for Aviator (SSA) software, but for DCS I change the JetSeat to 'USB Mode' and use SSA. With SSA I then get the specific aircraft type bespoke feedback features that SSA provides smile.gif
With 'Sound Mode' when flying BoX or CloD I get the sound vibrations from the aircraft engine and the game, which is very immersive and feels like I am sitting in a live cockpit seat with the engine running.  I also use a force feedback joystick, which adds another layer of immersion.  It would be great if BoX and CloD were to become compatible with software like SSA, but that is not the case at the moment.  I plan to get VR in the not too distant future and then my flight sim rig will be complete.

I use a splitter (double socket) for the line out green connection (speakers/headset) on my PC when using 'Sound Mode'.
This way I can plug both my headset and my JetSeat into the same line out socket green. This allows me to easily combine the use of my headset and JetSeat in 'Sound Mode' when playing BoX and CloD.
When using DCS, I pull out the JetSeat sound jack from the green line out splitter, because I don't use the JetSeat in 'Sound Mode' for DCS; I use my JetSeat in USB mode with SSA for DCS.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Dude! Thank you so much for the help bro! I never knew I could leave the USB connected when in sound mode! Awesome!

Also, I didn't know I needed to only turn on the seat pad when in the game. Not doing that - I got a same rumble out of the game as I did in the game. (I was like - this sucks WTF)

Turning it on only while in game - I could feel the vibrations change as my throttle settings changed!

I have a USB headset for now (...DT 990 and FiiO E10K DAC/AMP is in the mail). may need to ask you more questions and how it works in DCS if you are under the same handle on their forum.

Can't wait for these guys to release the API they promised - no rush, still a happy camper.

I guess I never really knew how well the sounds are in this game until I got a decent pair of headphones and DAC/AMP! Did anyone else know you can hear the wind blowing though the hanger at the start up screen...

I am never flying without the Jet Seat ever again!

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, JG7_X_Man said:

I guess I never really knew how well the sounds are in this game until I got a decent pair of headphones and DAC/AMP! Did anyone else know you can hear the wind blowing though the hanger at the start up screen...

I am never flying without the Jet Seat ever again!

Me too! The crazy thing is although using just the basic sound mode its actually a more convincing feeling than USB mode in DCS.

For some reason USB mode feels weaker despite having many advantages, whereas in sound mode combined with my razor headphones the feeling is utterly electrifying. I'm going to get a USB sound card to take it up a notch (for guns etc.), but really the main thing are the engines creating an overwhelming drone that encompasses and envelops you in a way that only a good quality set of headphones can provide. I was using earbuds like an idiot for the last few years, but now I hear the planes whistle past my head as if I can feel them. If you play VR remember not to neglect good sound. 

Jetseat + VR + Good headphones is literally exhilarating!     

5 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Jetseat + VR + Good headphones is literally exhilarating!  

The best way is to use any equalizer to separte engine rpm, throtle and cannons from any other plane noices . The other way is to separate sound freqences only for wind level but I enjoy more my engine.

This is my setting https://imgur.com/a/QrsgH . In game sound level set at 50 %.  When my engine and throtle are 0 I have almost no jet seat rambling, when raising my jeat seat start vibrating.

When shooting one or 2 pair of cannon my front pad zone is very active and rambling like hell !

For sound I'm using DAC ( mTech Young DSD) + tube amp + senheiser hd 800. Second sound card (realtec)  integrated with my mobo is connected by jack to jeatseat

10 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

The best way is to use any equalizer to separte engine rpm, throtle and cannons from any other plane noices . The other way is to separate sound freqences only for wind level but I enjoy more my engine.

This is my setting https://imgur.com/a/QrsgH . In game sound level set at 50 %.  When my engine and throtle are 0 I have almost no jet seat rambling, when raising my jeat seat start vibrating.

When shooting one or 2 pair of cannon my front pad zone is very active and rambling like hell !

For sound I'm using DAC ( mTech Young DSD) + tube amp + senheiser hd 800. Second sound card (realtec)  integrated with my mobo is connected by jack to jeatseat

I'm not really clear if I buy a second USB sound card what exactly I am supposed to do to get it working with the jetseat. Is there a guide or video someowhere that can describe the process step by step?

2 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

I'm not really clear if I buy a second USB sound card what exactly I am supposed to do to get it working with the jetseat. Is there a guide or video someowhere that can describe the process step by step?

There is simply manual to download. But there is almost nothing how to setup in sound mode. You have to figure out this setup on your own. But this is easy and you have variety options . 

Edit I see that you HTC Vive so you don't even need 2nd sound card, just connect Jet Seat to Vive headphone output. Use duplicating sound in SteamVR ( like I did for 2nd soundcard) then download any free win equalzier and correct frequences. https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Edited by TWHYata_PL
edit
  • Like 1

What TWHYata_PL said will work!

My plan was to buy a DAC/AMP 1st - see if I like it. Then buy an Asus PCIe Sound Card to plug in the X1 slot.

- Plug the headphones into the sound-card for surround sound

- Plug the JetSeat into the DAC/AMP

- Set Headphones to default

- In stereo mix, have the Jetset output the same sound as the default device (Headphones)

Maybe swap the output devices and use sound card equalizer settings to adjust the JetSet's vibrations - which wouldn't be a bad idea in the least LOL

2nd way described here : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/375246-Adding-transducers-to-my-VR-cockpit/page7

47 minutes ago, JG7_X_Man said:

plan was to buy a DAC/AMP 1st - see if I like it

You can buy dac/amp with 2 headphone outputs: 1 for headphone and 2nd for gametrix . I had this device before I went into highend in my PC Audio. http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/external/253

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/25/2018 at 6:14 PM, TWHYata_PL said:

2nd way described here : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/375246-Adding-transducers-to-my-VR-cockpit/page7

You can buy dac/amp with 2 headphone outputs: 1 for headphone and 2nd for gametrix . I had this device before I went into highend in my PC Audio. http://audiotrack.co.kr/en/external/253

Nice idea bro - I could have used that info a week ago LOL:

I went with the FiiO E10K DAC and the Creative Sound Blaster Z is on order - I'd like to use my headset with surround sound but keep the JetSeat on the DAC/AMP

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, TWHYata_PL said:

There is simply manual to download. But there is almost nothing how to setup in sound mode. You have to figure out this setup on your own. But this is easy and you have variety options . 

Edit I see that you HTC Vive so you don't even need 2nd sound card, just connect Jet Seat to Vive headphone output. Use duplicating sound in SteamVR ( like I did for 2nd soundcard) then download any free win equalzier and correct frequences. https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Oh thanks I missed that will give it a try! 

On 26/03/2018 at 5:49 AM, JG7_X_Man said:

What TWHYata_PL said will work!

My plan was to buy a DAC/AMP 1st - see if I like it. Then buy an Asus PCIe Sound Card to plug in the X1 slot.

- Plug the headphones into the sound-card for surround sound

- Plug the JetSeat into the DAC/AMP

- Set Headphones to default

- In stereo mix, have the Jetset output the same sound as the default device (Headphones)

Maybe swap the output devices and use sound card equalizer settings to adjust the JetSet's vibrations - which wouldn't be a bad idea in the least LOL

Spent all day trying to get it working no dice. The equalizers on my external sound card just don’t seem to filter the in game sounds, no do any other equalizers. It’s all just engine noise. But does this whole process necessitate having a DAC AMP, and will it not work without one? Think I’m ready to throw in the towel.

Another thing do you get this working with or without the simshaker (SSA) software? Thats just for buttkickers am I right?

Edited by Wolf8312

8 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Spent all day trying to get it working no dice. The equalizers on my external sound card just don’t seem to filter the in game sounds, no do any other equalizers. It’s all just engine noise. But does this whole process necessitate having a DAC AMP, and will it not work without one? Think I’m ready to throw in the towel.

Another thing do you get this working with or without the simshaker (SSA) software? Thats just for buttkickers am I right?

U have to correctly setup your equazlier, please choose only a sound device connected to jetseat and filter frequences .Bump up mid , lower a bit low and totally lower high tones. Don't filter your game sound device.  And you don't  need a second sound card or DAC if you connect your jeatseat directly to headphone output of your Vive ( internal Vive dac is named "Speakers -USB3 Audio Device" in my system at steam VR app, be carrefull don't miss that with HTC Vive - Nvidia High Def.) but in this connection way ofcourse you will need at least 1 m. cable extension (jack/jack) to connect HMD with pad. Than In steam VR app settings you have to duplicate sound devices (...HTC USB 3 Audio Device and your sound card) Also in gametrix pad controler volume knob set 60~75 % of  power and in IL 2 sound level set at 50 %. That in my rig gives me the best tones separation for my gametrix.

1 hour ago, TWHYata_PL said:

(SSA) software

this software is for USB mode, I have it but that's not working with Il 2 BoX

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 1

Again I can get it working to the point where if I unplug jetseat from the VIVE headphones the seat stops working, the trouble is the equalizer has no effect on the games aircrafts throttle or indeed anything at all. Can I ask what equalizer you are using, that is displayed in the photo here  https://imgur.com/a/QrsgH  ?

Maybe I am setting up the equalizer wrong?

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (3).png

can you show me settings tab in you equalizer ? what sound device you choose to filter

I’m currenty using my integrated Realtek software equalizer.  Simshaker ppl also like Banana equalizer. Check my link from ED forum

• Like 1

Well these are my settings running though the external soundcard (Using this is easier because I dont have a good wire to connect JS to vive comfortably). I don't know if they are the settings you are talking about. Using the equalizer bellow defo has affect on the vibrations and intensity of the jetseat, I just cant seem to filter out the guns etc. 5abdf300b0904_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.ce2b3d0b66d0ea72157b55d2ea47ac94.png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (6).png

Edited by Wolf8312

12 hours ago, TWHYata_PL said:

3 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Using the equalizer bellow defo has affect on the vibrations and intensity of the jetseat, I just cant seem to filter out the guns etc.

That is good start . Have you lower your gametrix knob and in game sound level ? are you using surround options or stereo ?

In my system I feel front gametrix zone when shooting single fire , and even stronger when fire both pair of weapons.. Also I have no vibration at hangar , before EQ jet seat vibrated when there been some noices like bombs,  etc. Throtle and RPM incrase/decrase also change vibration level.. and that's it.

BTW Your external sound card what output is connected to jetseat? headphone ? bass ? speakers ?

Edited by TWHYata_PL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TWHYata_PL said:

That is good start . Have you lower your gametrix knob and in game sound level ? are you using surround options or stereo ?

In my system I feel front gametrix zone when shooting single fire , and even stronger when fire both pair of weapons.. Also I have no vibration at hangar , before EQ jet seat vibrated when there been some noices like bombs,  etc. Throtle and RPM incrase/decrase also change vibration level.. and that's it.

BTW Your external sound card what output is connected to jetseat? headphone ? bass ? speakers ?

Is it would you say a very subtle effect compared to the USB mode or is it very distinctive? Kinda feels like its working even when its maybe not to be honest because of how immersive it is with the sound and the vibrations. Not sure if its placeboo!  

I have the jetseat wires connected to my sound cards 'front in' and 'front out' recievers though I think only the 'front in' is doing anything there as I put the other one in just to test it. There are also receivers for a microphone, a  cen bass (centre bass), and a 'line in' receiver. I guess I should try them all again! It seems at the moment that the rumble is being changed but not the sounds themselves.  

I've tried using both stereo and surround but as I am using Razer electra headphones and altough they do support surround I'm guessing its best not to use surround, at any rate it doesnt seem to work.

Edited by Wolf8312

I think I may have done it or am at least alot closer! You see I realized that although my equalizer was changing the vibrations, it was not altering the sounds as well. Now it is altering both the in game sounds and the vibrations so hopefully the filtering can begin. Thanks for all your help!

I have the jetseat wires connected to my sound cards 'front in' and 'front out' recievers though I think only the 'front in' is doing anything there as I put the other one in just to test it. There are also receivers for a microphone, a  cen bass (centre bass), and a 'line in' receiver. I guess I should try them all again! It seems at the moment that the rumble is being changed but not the sounds themselves

I'm not sure if your connection way is correct. I have it connected to headphone output of my case ( which is connected to Realtek integra) 

Effect's are far from placebo . It's working. The best way for fast checking featueres is starting from airport...

And oh after any changes in EQ or output I have to restart steam VR to get effect - that also mean restart game!

Edited by TWHYata_PL

yes you're right had it connected wrong. The headphones are now connected to the jetseat and the seat the sound card which obviously is connected to the computer, think it's working now will have to check when my kid goes to bed!

you need to also figure out in some  ways your correct "in game" and gametrix volume level , ( from engine off - no rumbling to slow vibrating during increasing your thruster/RPMs)

Edited by TWHYata_PL

51 minutes ago, TWHYata_PL said:

you need to also figure out in some  ways your correct "in game" and gametrix volume level , ( from engine off - no rumbling to slow vibrating during increasing your thruster/RPMs)

Yeah this is the trouble I am having you dont happen to know which slider on the equalizer is responsible for throttle or guns do you? I got really no idea what any of the sliders are actually controlling or where it is best to put them!

It works very well when the engine is off and warming up can feel individual vibrations, but when the main engine turns on low throttle to full throttle feels the same, and any distinction is drowned out. Gun sounds also dont seem to vibrate, even in game (turned high) or on the title menu when the bombs are vibrating!

Edited by Wolf8312