2 hours ago, Panthera said:

Atm the IL2 Me262 doesn't even have enough pitch authority to enter an accelerated stall

That video posted yesterday where "random guy" was at the stick, shows him apparently speedstalling, so I think it must be possible and we just haven't done it yet. I'll say though that I took if for a spin, treated it pretty rough and indeed suffered no stall, which I was kinda expecting to see happening all the time. Maybe I wasn't fast enough.

Edited by danielprates

Qppo37g.png

Look at the happiness!

Some pics from my first practice sortie ...

2RR2thS.png

ONhKGfi.png

wpCRgJJ.png

qY52slc.png

yAZhQrR.png

TkJ9sVT.png

UF6Txff.png

EsSKP0G.png

qvuNTqQ.png

My personal fav pic, in its proper environment... up high..

2HNUtLJ.png

BwsFxJi.png

Second fav pic!

wdhzBkU.png

sn1jofK.png

Safely down... 

8PS3Snu.png

Sortie complete..

5hwosCs.png

Well done Jason and the team... its a great aircraft. My only concern is that it flies just a little too well at the moment... but overall a really nice job... cannot wait for the P51D... 

Cheers:biggrin:

Edited by ACG_BlackDog
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Panthera said:

[edited]

You must not be using the stabilator as intended. Everyone says this plane doesn't turn; thats false, appropriate manipulation of the angle of incidence of the tail plane makes this thing turn very quickly; however the overall turn radius is larger because of the high speed. Incline the stabilator too hard while pulling, and you will enter an accelerated stall. I was able to pull off a stall at 700kph TAS on the deck. Felt just like a 190 speed stall but it recovered very easily however as the full length slats popped out. I was also able to pull hard enough using the stabilator that i had massive compressor stall at 400kph indicated; both engines stopped and i had to disengage my opponent and follow a nice slope down as i restarted engines.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Panthera said:

Atm the IL2 Me262 doesn't even have enough pitch authority to enter an accelerated stall amongst other things, which obviously isn't authentic behavior.

So you absolutely know that you are strong enough to pull the stick far enough for stalling at high speeds? What speeds are you talking about? And what is accelerated stall to you? 1.2 g? (It would be...)

• Like 1

Good lord, the guns on this thing are absolutely terrifying. 

I'm very much used to pelting bombers, yes. But thrashing them around? It's like I'm juggling Pe-2s and A-20s in the air with the cannons. 

I love destruction as much as the next guy, but mercy, these cannons are horrifying. 

This must be the first time I've physically cringed at the barrage of explosions and tearing metal at close range. Just turning entire bombers into confetti like some kind of party balloon blowing up. 

I can't say I've ever been terrified by something in a flight simulator. This is a true first. 

It's like the planes themselves are screaming in agony. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MarderIV said:

I'm very much used to pelting bombers, yes. But thrashing them around? It's like I'm juggling Pe-2s and A-20s in the air with the cannons. 

I love destruction as much as the next guy, but mercy, these cannons are horrifying. 

This must be the first time I've physically cringed at the barrage of explosions and tearing metal at close range. Just turning entire bombers into confetti like some kind of party balloon blowing up. 

I can't say I've ever been terrified by something in a flight simulator. This is a true first. 

my aim and my luck lead me to pepper A20s with it to little effect 😄 I am a bad shot, and the slow 30mm does not help that fact, but yes, in skilled hands she will be my peshka's worst nightmare

• Haha 1

Im in love with the 262, the sound of the engines are so addicting. People who were confortable with the 190 are gonna love this bird.

Funny enough, I have yet to encounter a bomber while flying it, but I already shot down a couple of spits, 47s and an odd yak, all of them went down with a single quick burst :P

• Upvote 1

Hi. What online servers can I currently fly the ME 262 on?

Question two. Any tips on how to restart the engines in flight? The normal ground prosedyre dosent seem to help me...

20 hours ago, CptSiddy said:

LOL no.

F-15 got proper high speed control surfaces and lift surfaces, its has also 1:1+ TW ratio.  With 262 piddly 30mm muzzle velocity, being on the par with modern grande machine gun, you will never manage to pull lead to land those snowballs. Heck, 262 will struggle to pull lead on A-20, go try on easy AI, i dear you, i double dear you. 

You can maybe manage to concoct some artificial lab setting where 262 marginally outperforms f-15, but good luck betting any success on such scheme in simulator or real scenario. 

I used the f15  example to show how irrelevant turn performance is for a good energy fighter .Nothing more.

"F-15 got proper high speed control surfaces and lift surfaces, its has also 1:1+ TW ratio" That is irrelevant it will still not have a chance of defeating a spitfire in a turnfight .

Or a british meteor for example . That doesn't mean it's not a better fighter than those planes .It is by far.

Comparing me 262 turn performance in il2 bos vs f15 in a different sim using tacview i optained:

f15 has a small but certain advantage in instantaneous turn performance.

me 262 has a small but certain advantage in sustained turn performance.

Also in il2 bos game i don't have a problem killing bostons , spitfires etc while flying the jet.

PS: I want to congratulate the devs for creating the plane is such fine detail .This plane alone is worth the  price.

Edited by IVJG4-Knight

3 hours ago, Willy__ said:

Im in love with the 262, the sound of the engines are so addicting. People who were confortable with the 190 are gonna love this bird.

Funny enough, I have yet to encounter a bomber while flying it, but I already shot down a couple of spits, 47s and an odd yak, all of them went down with a single quick burst :P

Will you disconnect if they shoot at you? Or throw your typical fits? Will you get upset to the point of changing your nickname so you can friendly fire the one who shoots at you? I hope not ... I hope you fly plane for what it is (strengths and weeknesses) and dont resort to any of your typical behavior if someone shoots you during landing ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrinderX9 said:

Hi. What online servers can I currently fly the ME 262 on?

Question two. Any tips on how to restart the engines in flight? The normal ground prosedyre dosent seem to help me...

Combat Box has it, check it out!

I didnt try restarting the engines mid flight, but somebody told me its just a matter of hitting the Starter buttons (default RShift + numpad 1/2), the specs sheet does mention that restarting the engines above 4000m is impossible though.

• Upvote 1

it's my new favorite bomber, still very fast even with bombs. did a couple of sorties on kota

7 hours ago, E4GLEyE said:
9 hours ago, MarderIV said:

my aim and my luck lead me to pepper A20s with it to little effect 😄 I am a bad shot, and the slow 30mm does not help that fact, but yes, in skilled hands she will be my peshka's worst nightmare

Nah, I'm not skilled. Just very stupid. 

I get so close that something from the death cloud of detritus eventually knocks me out. 

Kinda curious about that too, actually. Wonder if the engines actually suck up FOD on their own.

I really like Me262, im in love with this bird,

but I was surprised wirh 3 things.

1.How bad she climbs(or maybe i dont know how to climb properly😶)

2. Engines arent so sensitive I have imagined even without improved valve. Maybe during takeoffs but in flight I tried multiple times to move throttle violently up and down and nothing happened.

3. Its almost immposible to stall this bird. I wanted to hear compressor stalling and test engine restart in flight and you have to try really hard to stall.

What do you thing guys?

@Void

1. As I expected from 1946 memories, but I feel it climbs better in this somehow. Can go 'straight up' for an impressive time after an attack run at top speeds. Struggles to gain altitude in the thinner air though.

2. I used the valve once, couldn't flame them out either. Without the valve they may be a little more forgiving than the 1946 engines. I've absent-mindedly treated the throttles like a ww1 throttle a couple of times and got away with it!

3. Surprisingly I haven't stalled it either yet, one can pull hard on the stick and stay flying. In 1946 it was a bit more edgy as I remember.

S!

50 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

@Void

1. As I expected from 1946 memories, but I feel it climbs better in this somehow. Can go 'straight up' for an impressive time after an attack run at top speeds. Struggles to gain altitude in the thinner air though.

2. I used the valve once, couldn't flame them out either. Without the valve they may be a little more forgiving than the 1946 engines. I've absent-mindedly treated the throttles like a ww1 throttle a couple of times and got away with it!

3. Surprisingly I haven't stalled it either yet, one can pull hard on the stick and stay flying. In 1946 it was a bit more edgy as I remember.

S!

You have to pull hard and press the rudder(left or right) its the only way I can enter spin.

Edited by Voidhunger

Anybody managed to force engines so that they caught fire? I didnt....though that is with engine mod.

Oh yes, it's possible. This was without the valve modification by the way, but if you lower your rpm sufficiently (say landing for example) and then throw the throttles forwards, you'll just flood it with raw fuel and this happens. In air restarts are also eminently possible, you need to be travelling reasonably fast, and in decently thick air, but so long as both of those requirements are met, start the engine the same way you do on the ground. It's also possible if you hold the ignition switch too long on startup, or hold it without moving the throttle, that you'll just spray burning fuel out the back of the engine and cause a fire that way. 

While the in-flight failures are ones I deliberately instigated myself in the spirit of enquiry, the ground fire was accidental, and not recommended.

image.thumb.png.83cc8ce7d7f5dd8901d1d4757ebc37c5.png

For folks saying they can't stall the plane and also that it doesn't turn well I think you need to revisit your stabilator manipulation technique. This bird can pull a 180 degree vector change in about 6 seconds at 700kph; to the point where this causes pilot black out. Where it really struggles is sustaining a fast turn rate. Also, it turns fast in this manner, but the overall radius is very large because of the excessive speed. As far as stalling, excessive positive stabilator angle changes at lower speeds (under 500 TAS) will cause an accelerated stall. Not as bad as 190 but it does happen. As far as compressor stalls, I've had it happen multiple times already; mostly when I'm turning and cut throttle to prevent overshoot because I forgot what plane I was in and thought I was in my Dora. Overall, this is a bomber killer and fast attack aircraft; but I'll definitely be turning fighters into heaps of ash as well. I'm mostly excited for the fact that I'll no longer jump an unexpecting Russian fighter and hit it with two dozen cannon rounds only to have it Split-S and fly home with ease. 

• Like 2

I just fired up a QMB with 4 ME262 vs 7 Pe-2. It started out great then suddenly i lost both engines, i spent 2-3mins restarting both. Unsure why they flamed out when I had the fuel mod on. 

Anyway PE-2 spent entire time circling around which was hard to get the 262 to follow, was easier to swing wide round then come in for deflection shots. A short burst from the mk108's completely wrecks them. So awesome to watch. Ended up with 5 kills. Got my wheel doors blown off my the PE-2 snipers, those guys are unreal at 800km/h engagement speeds. 

The AI friendlies seem much improved, although I found asking them to attack didnt work as effectively as "cover me". The landings of the AI was pretty good, longer take a million years to land but come straight in after each other. 

Flew for 43mins and had a blast, i love this plane. 

Edited by Tyberan

This is the trouble with the ai 'bombers'.

262's didn't often face bombers turning in 360 circles, I think they generally flew in a straight line to target relying on the gunners to take care of business.

23 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

This is the trouble with the ai 'bombers'.

262's didn't often face bombers turning in 360 circles, I think they generally flew in a straight line to target relying on the gunners to take care of business.

I thought night bombers at least would "corkscrew" to try and evade an attack

Edited by Herne
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Herne said:

I thought night bombers at least would "corkscrew" to try and evade an attack

misread ... never mind original post. 

Yes, they did.  I think mostly to get out of search lights.  Probably did it against fighter opposition too but I am less sure of that.  Makes sense that they would.  Thing is night bombers were flying individual routes and were not in formation.

We all know daylight heavies flew in formation in a box - that was the prime 262 target.

Medium bombers are what I am curious about.  Most of them were pretty agile and could evade, but what tactics did they use when in formation?  In the BoB I think the German bombers flew much like the American heavies did, counting on mutual fire support more than evasion.  I sort of suspect that American mediums did the same but would be very interested in details if somebody knows.

Edited by PatrickAWlson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tyberan said:

Anyway PE-2 spent entire time circling around which was hard to get the 262 to follow,

Unfortunately in QMB the bombers will fly to the only waypoint and then just fly around in circles because they have nowhere else to go.

Multiple waypoints would be much better/realistic so that the bombers all fly along a particular route.

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

For folks saying they can't stall the plane and also that it doesn't turn well I think you need to revisit your stabilator manipulation technique. This bird can pull a 180 degree vector change in about 6 seconds at 700kph; to the point where this causes pilot black out. Where it really struggles is sustaining a fast turn rate. Also, it turns fast in this manner, but the overall radius is very large because of the excessive speed. As far as stalling, excessive positive stabilator angle changes at lower speeds (under 500 TAS) will cause an accelerated stall. Not as bad as 190 but it does happen. As far as compressor stalls, I've had it happen multiple times already; mostly when I'm turning and cut throttle to prevent overshoot because I forgot what plane I was in and thought I was in my Dora. Overall, this is a bomber killer and fast attack aircraft; but I'll definitely be turning fighters into heaps of ash as well. I'm mostly excited for the fact that I'll no longer jump an unexpecting Russian fighter and hit it with two dozen cannon rounds only to have it Split-S and fly home with ease. 

I tried to use stabilator at high speeds, pulling as hard as i can to only slightly blackout. After that she starts to shake and never stall. Without high rudder imput im unable to stall this bird. Need to test more.

Did they use stabilator in combat in real life? I need to reread my books.

Just curious, was anybody able to pull enough G in that thing to blackout (or anywhere near to)? I know, it's not supposed to turn very well, but I have the impression, that the elevator needs some tuning.

13 minutes ago, arno_nym said:

Just curious, was anybody able to pull enough G in that thing to blackout (or anywhere near to)? 

Yup, blacked out a few times doing hard turns at speed. You really need to use that moveable stab.

Edited by Psyrion

5 minutes ago, arno_nym said:

Just curious, was anybody able to pull enough G in that thing to blackout (or anywhere near to)? I know, it's not supposed to turn very well, but I have the impression, that the elevator needs some tuning.

The manual gives the instruction for diving to set the stabilisator trim in a way, that you have to push the stick forward during the dive so you are able to recover. 

And yes through recovering from a dive I was near blackout, so I had to release the stick a little, to not nail my 262 into the ground.

push the stick forward during a dive so you are able to recover.

The stabiliser isn't that good is it ?

5 minutes ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

push the stick forward during a dive so you are able to recover.

The stabiliser isn't that good is it ?

It is fairly effective but it also depends on the speed you are flying. At some point when you gain speed and the stabilizer is full nose down, you will have to push the stick to counteract the forces on the airframe.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:12 AM, SCG_Riksen said:

Will you disconnect if they shoot at you? Or throw your typical fits? Will you get upset to the point of changing your nickname so you can friendly fire the one who shoots at you?

Coming from a guy who threw temper tantrum when shot down by a 262 and because of people wanting to try out the new plane in dogfighting.

https://i.gyazo.com/6ebd196fd0aee1ec0c8a641c3ee48274.png

The hype for the plane will die eventually as it is with all new planes :)

Edited by Jansgi

I had an interesting experience with my first ( aborted ) take-off in QM with the 262.Engine start appeared go smoothly, but thereafter nothing on my joystick or key board seemed to work. Could not use throttle on joy stick or any assigned buttons on keyboard.Exited and then started at 1500 meters and everything then worked. Have I missed something or was this perhaps a one time glitch?

13 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I had an interesting experience with my first ( aborted ) take-off in QM with the 262.Engine start appeared go smoothly, but thereafter nothing on my joystick or key board seemed to work. Could not use throttle on joy stick or any assigned buttons on keyboard.Exited and then started at 1500 meters and everything then worked. Have I missed something or was this perhaps a one time glitch?

Do you use VR ? this sometimes happens to me if another program takes focus in windows, or if I alt tab out, and forget to alt tab back in again.

1 hour ago, Rekt said:

Haha yeah I got raked again by an upside-down Pe-2 belly gunner, as the plane was disintegrating around him. A capable and motivated fellow indeed LOL.

The same thing happened to me already a few times. Despite the many complaints about this ridiculous behavior, the error has still not been corrected. Sorry to respond off topic.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

misread ... never mind original post. 

Yes, they did.  I think mostly to get out of search lights.  Probably did it against fighter opposition too but I am less sure of that.  Makes sense that they would.  Thing is night bombers were flying individual routes and were not in formation.

We all know daylight heavies flew in formation in a box - that was the prime 262 target.

Medium bombers are what I am curious about.  Most of them were pretty agile and could evade, but what tactics did they use when in formation?  In the BoB I think the German bombers flew much like the American heavies did, counting on mutual fire support more than evasion.  I sort of suspect that American mediums did the same but would be very interested in details if somebody knows.

Reading the official histories of the RCAF, common tactics when the gunner spotted a night-fighter was for him to call it out and for the pilot to initiate a corskcrew to evade. This is for the night-bombing heavies like the Lancasters. 

On 6/13/2019 at 4:44 PM, RedKestrel said:

Reading the official histories of the RCAF, common tactics when the gunner spotted a night-fighter was for him to call it out and for the pilot to initiate a corskcrew to evade. This is for the night-bombing heavies like the Lancasters. 

It just means open a bottle of wine😋

On 6/12/2019 at 7:21 AM, Voidhunger said:

but I was surprised [...] How bad she climbs(or maybe i dont know how to climb properly😶)

Climb whilst maintaining a speed of 350-380kmph.

Edited by [DBS]Browning

Is there a complete how-to for this aircraft somewhere or a how-to vid? Esp for VR users? Thanks!

giovanni-bianchin-pro-me262-00.jpg