Sign in to follow this  
Feathered_IV

Das Boot 2018, the TV series...?

Heard about it long ago but was a bit sceptical at first.

But now as there is some more information I´m actually looking forward to it.

Need to watch the original again :)

A re-boot? (*chortle*)

Crikey, that's gonna be hard to compete with the original is phenomenal.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll watch it, but nothing will surpass the original.

• Upvote 2

I'm watching the original now.   Haven't seen it for ages.  Damn!  its still good!!!

15 minutes ago, BOO said:

ALARM!!   The Original blew me away when I was a teenager, and still blows me away now.

Indeed!

38 minutes ago, No105_Swoose said:

I hope Netflix in the USA will offer it for viewing.

They have a contracts with dozens of distro sources, Sky being one of them. I'm sure it'll pop up eventually.

Bavaria Film still has the original uboot set in stock.

We shot a over the top short film about a jewish couple assassinating Hilter using parts of it a few years back.

Some hollywood bigwhig seems to have stolen the idea and made a full lengh movie... Taranti-something;)

You can go inside the original set it if you visit Bavaria Filmstadt studio complex as a tourist. Webpage even mentiones "individual, customized tours and events such as dinner in film sets" https://www.bavaria-film.de/bavaria-filmstadt

Edited by [I./JG62]steppa
added link

It will be interesting to see Das Re-Boot   (nice one, @OrLoK !!)

However, I am deeply sceptical it will be much good. They have to compete with the original, which was superlative. Given the manner in which they made the original (great documentary - well worth watching), I fail to see how they could come even close with today's methods - even with CGI.

PS:  I've been through the Das Boot set at Bavaria studios - really cool.

• Haha 1

"when boys become men in a war that cant be won"  doesn't fill me with confidence as a strap line. For one its lazy and naff but more important to the entire narrative is that Das Boot was based upon an outsiders view of the 7th Voyage of a successful, bonded and experienced crew. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with all the other skeptics- the original was so good. Attaching yourself to the name of a classis is asking for trouble. Folks would be much less critical of a decent sub series under a new name, I think, but anyway, hope its good.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ALAAAARM!    ><='==>

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr

7 hours ago, BOO said:

ALARM!!   The Original blew me away when I was a teenager, and still blows me away now.

hahahaha shit, i didnt read the whole thread, you beat me to it....

Edited by 19//curiousGamblerr

In the beginning I was confused a bit because of the name - I think the name might be misleading so choosing another title could probably be beneficial for the show although there is just another possibility for choosing Das Boot as I am sure the U-Boat of a crew was often only called "Das Boot" in slang.
Nontheless people might have wrong expectations because of the chosen title.

But as it is clear that it wont be just a remake / reboot but another story about another Boot, I think it could work.

Edited by 9./JG27golani79

Apparently the original interior spaces and camera runs still exist, and they will be using them for the filming.  

Last I heard, this isn’t a new adaptation of the original book, or a remake of the film - it’s a sequel to the film.

The last submarine TV series I saw, the sub was pink and it had a contingent of nurses on it.  :blink:

45 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The last submarine TV series I saw, the sub was pink and it had a contingent of nurses on it.  :blink:

Tell me more...

Pettycoat?

• Upvote 1

Looks sorta interesting.

I don't know if it was a good idea to make it as a tie-in to Petersen's masterpiece. Of course it would have been measured against it anyway, but now it really has to follow in the footsteps of the movie even more. It'll be hard for it to stand out on its own.

Also: The movie gave us something the World had never really seen before in terms of tension building and sense of claustrophobic dread. What new dramatic element could this bring to the table, that hasn't already been done? 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:42 AM, Feathered_IV said:

'm watching the original now.   Haven't seen it for ages.  Damn!  its still good!!!

Would you believe I gave my copy away.... :/

5 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Yep.   Operation Petticoat.

pretty well gave us Jamie Lee Curtiss

image.png.538cc8ec7e3a21d6675b12c4377d3c88.png

...now that was worth it...

• Thanks 1

As a kid I loved the probably stupid book "Up Periscope" that was also a movie but i don't think I ever saw.

image.png.887cd6067be6b73b05ed23018877dfc7.png

Which is why I like Silent hunter Wolves of the Pacific best...... SO CRUCIFY ME !!!

They're making some good tv series these days - better than the days before pay to view. I am optimistic. :)

Though it looks like it'll be on Sky, and I can only afford Netflix presently. :dry: