Sign in to follow this  
Rhubard

Deepest thanks to this flight SIM developer

In my younger days, there were no flight SIM, and if you were a plane lover (nuts, I should say) you would, has I did, spend days reading books, making scale aircraft, look at plane profiles in colors, and dream of what the actual plane would look like.

I don't know about you guys, but I am living a dream. Thanks to this SIM I can see these planes in all their finest details. It is way more than I could have dream of.
What I love to do is get on board a plane, every one of them, and look at the cockpit,  then fly around, look from the external view at the plane, the scenery, and marvell at the visual beauty of this sim.

So next time you fly, say thanks.

One last comment. If I may express an another dream of mine, it you be to fly every ww2 planes their were in this sim.

Yep you can say I'm a dreamer.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 9

Welcome!

This great flight sim can be very addicting, and extremely satisfying!

• Upvote 1

I still have boxes in my basement of 1/8" balsa sticks and an uncovered Stuka I hope to make an ultra-light RC someday!  What's stopping me?  VR!!!!

A dreamer you may be, Rhubard, and I think the world would be a nicer place with more such dreamers, and less stockbrokers...

Let me say a special "THANK YOU" here to the devs who made the public skins.

Without their wonderfully detailed templates, I couldn't make such personal beauties of my aircraft. Thank you all!

Edited by Wolfram-Harms
  • Upvote 3

I've long felt the same way for a lot of the same reasons.

Sometimes I get blasé about it, due to having become conditioned to the availability of it.

But yes, on occasion I take myself back to 19 seventy something, and there I am with a 1/72 scale 109 in one hand and a hurricane in the other, and just as the two are in a scissors past the fruit bowl I imagine my present self arriving in a puff of smoke, like a genie, and saying "Here, young Flit, why don't you try this combat flight simulator from the year 2018! Sit down here and put these VR goggles on."  I'd be floored. And yeah, I suppose I get a little more value out of it all with a thought like that.

8 hours ago, Rhubard said:

Only dreamers change this world to the better one. So go on.

While reading your post I am absolutely the same. 

5 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

Only dreamers change this world to the better one. So go on.

While reading your post I am absolutely the same. 

I thought this was fitting.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

T.E. Lawrence

• Upvote 2

Exactly how I felt when I experienced this sim with VR. 

Flying IL2 using a Virtual Reality headset like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive increases the enjoyment by letting you 

feel like you are really in the cockpit as opposed looking around on a flat screen.

The immersion factor in VR increases you enjoyment by leaps and bounds.

• Upvote 3

VR... never gave much attention to it, but reading Fiddlinjim comments, I am set on a course to give it a try.

The only downside effect of this would be to become more addicted...

What the heck, one must live his passion all the way...

Thank you Fiddlinjim.

Edited by Rhubard

2 hours ago, Rhubard said:

VR... never gave much attention to it, but reading Fiddlinjim comments, I am set on a course to give it a try.

The only downside effect of this would be to become more addicted...

What the heck, one must live his passion all the way...

Thank you Fiddlinjim.

Believe him- it’s a game changer. 

Can you wear glasses with VR?  How do you operate the keyboard controls?

keyboard by the small gap betweeen the nose and the headset, keyboard must be lightened by a lamp, Of course most of functions you must set to your joystick and throttle lever system, because during a fight you dont have a time to search a keys on keyboard.

glassess dont know - must answer somebody else.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 3.IAP_Vasilij said:

keyboard by the small gap betweeen the nose and the headset, keyboard must be lightened by a lamp, Of course most of functions you must set to your joystick and throttle lever system, because during a fight you dont have a time to search a keys on keyboard.

glassess dont know - must answer somebody else.

Yep, assigning all needed functions to HOTAS buttons makes a big difference. I also added Voice Attack for wingmen commands.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vig said:

Can you wear glasses with VR?  How do you operate the keyboard controls?

You can wear your regular glasses but with the rift this is very uncomfortable and even worse is that you risk scratching the sensitive hmd lenses.

A better solution are the third party corrective lens inserts you can buy from several manufacturers. These are of varying quality so choose wisely. They also give the added benefit of protecting the hmd lenses.

Edited by a_radek
  • Thanks 1

Glasses, if someone is farsighted (see good at a distance) the chances are very good that glasses will not be required in VR.  I have been wearing glasses for years and do not require them for VR.   This is because the VR units focus your vision at a far away point.  

Nearsighted vision (see good up close) will almost assuredly require glasses and ordinarily they don't fit well in the Rift and most often require special frames just made for the Rift.   A number of forum users state that the HTC Vive can be used with glasses and with good results.

Keyboard Controls, I have the Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle and it has plenty of switches so that I never have to use any keyboard strikes.    I set up my 

Hotas so that the same switch functions are used as much as possible for all IL2 planes.      There are several very good Joystick systems available in addition to the Thrustmaster that offer sufficient control points. 

Unfortunately, I do not have enough of an opening around the nose to operate using keyboard strikes but other forum members report they use the opening to good advantage to see the keyboard.  

Hope this helps with a new VR.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Vig said:

Can you wear glasses with VR?

Contact lenses are a good alternative.

• Upvote 1

As for keyboard controls in VR, I can do just fine feeling for the bumps on the F and H key to operate everything. I did have to re-bind a bunch of stuff though to make it work one handed.

• Upvote 1

You know you can get prescription lenses made for the Rift, right?  They pop right in so you don't need to wear glasses.

I've considered getting these, but couldn't justify the expense since my glasses fit reasonably well inside the rift.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2018 at 10:29 PM, Rhubard said:

Ah, another dreamer... so am I, and I guess there are many more  :salute:

• Upvote 1

To be a gamer or a sim pilot, I think being a dreamer is essential. I'd bet most of us are. My inner Walter Mitty is strong while I'm driving my favorite A/C.

Edited by Rjel
edited for clarity.
  • Upvote 1