5./StG.1_DLMalloy

Where Else Do You Want to Fly?

Air Battles Other Than WWII?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Other than WW2, what other air operations would you like to see? (If the answer you have in mind is not there, please post.)

• Korean war
    • South-East Asian War
    • Spanish Civil War

The other day I was wondering, "Can we have another era other than WWI/WWII?"

Post your ideas below.

:salute:

KG5

Edited by 5./StG1_KG5

I´d love to see a korean war setting - I´m sure it would be a nice sim!

Edited by 9./JG27golani79
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WWI and WWII are my main interest... I hope the dev's keep doing what they are doing in those scenarios.

That's just my preference of course.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

WWI and WWII are my main interest... I hope the dev's keep doing what they are doing in those scenarios.

That's just my preference of course.

Well we all have our opinions, and this was just put up for fun so it never hurts to state what's on your mind ;)

Falklands war would bring some very interesting jets on the table, and hopefully a map over Argentina southern part, witch is quite similar to Norway by the looks of it. Sailed there once or twice. South east asia I guess means Vietnam, I am all for that too. But seeing what this sim is best for I voted SCW , this sim would really make a good pre war plane sim

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

One good thing about the Falklands from a practical standpoint would be the relatively limited number of plane types.  Harriers would be hard to flight-model.  Naval forces would be a nightmare to get right.  Flying Skyhawks on the deck would be where I'd spend my playtime. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know who else would like to see this, but I would personally like to see vietnam. The helicopters would be a challange! :hunter:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I really liked Battlefield Vietnam for its choppers. Flying low and feel a sort of chopper like behaviour . As long as it not come out too arcadish it could work. But I think we never will in this sim

• Sad 1

Please Please, WW I 

oh yes, Flying Cirkus is already preparing.... waaw.

cant wait !

Old theme, slow planes, (miracle they even can fly), historical music, old beautiful cars, old beautiful womens, scarf on your neck, and wonderful biplanes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Falklands War would have been covered by a new sim, a couple of years ago, 'Jet Thunder' or some similar title.

Sadly, it appears as if nothing ever final came of it.

As to the Middle East conflict, Yom Kippur / 1973 would indeed be interesting, the 1967 Six-Day War also : Mirages III and lesser known French aircraft vs

MiG's and Hawker Hunters ! :)

• Like 1

On 04/03/2018 at 4:00 PM, xvii-Dietrich said:

Falklands War

Falklands would be awesome, and I'd be very keen to see it happen. A lot of potential and if could definitely hold people's interest. 

But... I'm not sure BoX would do it justice. Guided missiles, radars and avionics would be tricky to pull off within BoX's relatively simple systems modelling so it would either require a fairly arcade-y compromise or the sim would get drastically more complicated, both of which would put different types of people off for different reasons.

The Argentine side would also have a lot of flying over ocean to reach their targets, where they'd get five minutes of combat before needing to RTB, which might not be much fun. 

On 04/03/2018 at 4:38 PM, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Falklands war would bring some very interesting jets on the table, and hopefully a map over Argentina southern part, witch is quite similar to Norway by the looks of it. Sailed there once or twice. South east asia I guess means Vietnam, I am all for that too. But seeing what this sim is best for I voted SCW , this sim would really make a good pre war plane sim

Spanish Civil War could make a bit of sense after Flying Circus, to bridge the gap between the FC biplanes and the 109E and I-16 of BoM.

Could be quite interesting to see how technology and techniques evolved between the wars and it's a unique choice for a theatre which might attract attention.

All the work in understanding biplane and piston monoplane FMs will have been done by then too so it should be no harder than any other release in terms of research.

A set of five aircraft for each side and a representative map would probably cover the whole conflict as well. 

On 04/03/2018 at 11:03 AM, 9./JG27golani79 said:

I´d love to see a korean war setting - I´m sure it would be a nice sim!

Korean War would be my first choice for the next post-WWII area to expand into. If Bodenplatte is giving us late-war piston aircraft and the first jets, then Korea follows up neatly with the final evolution of some of the aircraft we'll have in BoK and BoBo, plus some new tech in the form of more refined and modern jets.

The groundvwar is dynamic and mobile and provides scope for a lot of mission types, and some of the assets can be developed into the newer aircraft to save some time and give the devs a head-start.

Also, with an Allied coalition on one side and NK/China/USSR on the other, there's something for the players whose preferences are for the Western and the Eastern Fronts, plus there's scope for naval and carrier operations and the whole thing takes place on the Korean Peninsula so Pacific fans should have something to look forward to as well. 

All that's missing is the Luftwaffe, but pretty soon we'll have models of every version of the 109 in the sim and then the Third Reich will have no more aircraft. 

• Like 1

I clicked on all of them.

Here's the deal for me - no jets in IL-2 (unless early crapjobs like the 262, Meteor, Vampire and the P-80, which were are deathtraps - albeit interesting ones).

Korea can be done quite interestingly without using any jets (or very few jets, e.g. an F-80).

Lots of interesting prop-jobs around (including F4Us, ADs, B-26s, F-51s, B-29s, La-9s Yak-9s, IL-10s, Po-2s, Tu-2s and Tu-4s). The Terrain is interesting.

South East Asia - again, can be done without jets or just very few jets indeed, if modelling the pre-Dien Bien Phu timeframe. Airframes involved would be the entire French arsena, which was VERY interesting: P-47s, F4Us, F8Fs, Ju 88s (!), T-6s, T-28s, etc.

Spain - well, not overly attached to this theater, but it was interesting in terms of timeframe and tactical development.

Sort of a pre-WW2 testing lab (El should be into this era quite a lot).

• Like 1

I selected all of them as well.

But the Northrop F-5Cs and Ds Skoshi Tigers (modified F-5As and Bs respectively) really attracts me in both their shape and camuflage. Here some pictures found here and there on Internet about the F-5C:

Northrop F-5C Skoshi Tiger (1).jpg

Northrop F-5C Skoshi Tiger (2).jpg

Northrop F-5C Skoshi Tiger (3).jpg

Northrop F-5C Skoshi Tiger (4).jpg

Northrop F-5C Skoshi Tiger (5).jpg

While here you can find a beautiful documentary (part of the "Great Planes" series of documentary): 

Edited by Kirk
More documentation
  • Thanks 1

The A-36 in Sicily. the P-82 in Korea and the P-63C somewhere... The MC-205 would be very nice too.

For jets the F-5 is very nice indeed but I'd like something from beginning of the jet era, overlooked but still (imho) historically important: the FJ-1 Fury and the P-59 Airacomet.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ehret said:

The A-36 in Sicily.

:good:

• Like 1

Anything involving jet oriented planeset, particularly with homing missiles is off my book.

Fights are boring as hell. And DCS is there for that.

As far as post WW2 is concerned, I would LOVE to see a Skyraider modelled. If I was to ever own a warbird IRL, it would be this one, or a restored He111.

But for simming, I won't fly it in scenarios where you get raped all time by mig15s blitzing out of nowhere. Boring. 

Spanish civil war is the most appealing suggestion there. Lots of interesting classic planes, plus some early/experimental variants of later designs.

I like a lot the late 30s spirit in aviation, every manufacturer came up with new designs, still experimenting with what will work, and what will not. But only after having built the plane.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I voted Spanish war because of the early BF 109's which would really add to our later variants.

But both the other places would be interesting too for me though. 

Have a nice day.

:salute:

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2018 at 7:46 AM, F/JG300_Gruber said:

Anything involving jet oriented planeset, particularly with homing missiles is off my book.

I have to admit that I agree with you: I prefer propeller-driven airplanes too. I consider them much more rewarding to fly than the modern "electric" aeroplanes. I would say that they keep you fit. In the end I'm a lover of the "stick-and-rudder" flight concept 😊. But the small, light jets like the F-5 or the F-104 are, in my honest opinion, still close, in terms of handling, to the propeller driven aircrafts: no computers, only flight surfaces that you have to control (and enjoy!) with your hands and feet :fly:

And yes, the Skyraider would be great.

What you think about the OV-10A Bronco?

Here is a beautiful 1:48 scale model: http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/ov10ada_1.htm

And here some pictures of the real thing:

North American-Rockwell OV-10A Bronco (1).jpeg

North American-Rockwell OV-10A Bronco (1).jpg

North American-Rockwell OV-10A Bronco (2).jpeg

North American-Rockwell OV-10A Bronco (2).JPG

North American-Rockwell OV-10A Bronco (3).jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of you guys seem to be forgetting what the topic is. He's not asking what your favorite airplane is. The question is...what war, what time period, what part of the globe would you like to fly from? 

And yeah, Korea sounds great. But no, not just props as a poster suggested. It's GOT to have the F-86 and MiG-15. 

But another really, different, scenario would be pre-Pearl Harbor China. 1937-1941. All kinds of funky airplanes. China was flying anything that any country gave her. And besides the Japanese Claudes and Nates, Japan had a lot of little known biplane fighters and bombers that were used. That might be fun.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

Some of you guys seem to be forgetting what the topic is. He's not asking what your favorite airplane is. The question is...what war, what time period, what part of the globe would you like to fly from? 

Exactly! 

13 minutes ago, Poochnboo said:

But another really, different, scenario would be pre-Pearl Harbor China. 1937-1941. All kinds of funky airplanes. China was flying anything that any country gave her. And besides the Japanese Claudes and Nates, Japan had a lot of little known biplane fighters and bombers that were used. That might be fun.

And great idea, mabye a little pre-pacific idea?

Sorry guys, I got carried away.

I apologize.:good:

• Like 1

I would prefer to see more WWII.  There is so much of WWII not covered.  For example, the Pacific or the Mediterranean.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, F/JG300_Gruber said:

As far as post WW2 is concerned, I would LOVE to see a Skyraider modelled. If I was to ever own a warbird IRL, it would be this one, or a restored He111.

But for simming, I won't fly it in scenarios where you get raped all time by mig15s blitzing out of nowhere. Boring. 

Spanish civil war is the most appealing suggestion there. Lots of interesting classic planes, plus some early/experimental variants of later designs.

I like a lot the late 30s spirit in aviation, every manufacturer came up with new designs, still experimenting with what will work, and what will not. But only after having built the plane.

Agree 100%.

Korea is the cut-off point for me in IL-2 (unless we're going Insurgent hunting like in Indochina or northern Africa, where most action was prop-based until the dawn of the 60s).

A MiG should normally not bother your Spad, though - they very seldomly went farther south than MiG-Alley. Mostly due to a lack of gas.

Edited by Bremspropeller

Spanish Civil War for sure!

I could than finally fly my little italian Cabrio - the CR32.bis ;)

and shot down the bridge Hemmingway's protagonists.

650x400mFILLcGRAY.jpg

96c9d2227ac51bd3d455d3ff1a1e4577.jpg

HE 51

00-0a-1-he-51-galland.jpg

13.jpg

Ju52 as early "adhoc" bomber version

67_2_b1.jpg

And the really not famous Ju86 :)

junkers_ju_86_k_by_greenh0rn-d64qgfd.jpg

art-samolet-vickers---c-a-s-a.jpg

Dewoitine D 510

2d48e8df4f1f75fe5244b976194d30dc.jpg

Honestly not many of these options interest me, I hope they stick with WW2 for quite some time.

Vietnam is the only Jet scenario that I really like. Flying 105 thunderchiefs on wild weasel missions would be super fun, also loading up an A6 Intruder with tons of bombs and taking it off from a carrier would be excellent.

F105 thunderchief, F-100 Super Sabre, A6 Intruder, F8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, and F-4 Phantom would be great to fly in this sim.

Spoiler

Republic_F-105D-30-RE_(SN_62-4234)_in_flfull629326-800x350.jpgF100-Super-Sabre1.jpg?fit=720,444&ssl=1photo_us_f-8_1.jpgf-4-phantom-usn-large-56a61c193df78cf772

• Upvote 1

I can get the need for some Vietnam Jet module.

But the last interview I heared on youtube with Jason I heared, he said that they are more in propeller era.

Personally I am not so interested in jets beyond WW2 and I think the Spanish Civil War were never covered digital as far as I know.

💕

• Like 1

There isn't even the remotest level of interest to make the SCW doable. 

On 8/11/2018 at 5:43 AM, Legioneod said:

105 thunderchiefs on wild weasel missions would be super fun, also loading up an A6 Intruder with tons of bombs and taking it off from a carrier would be excellent.

I love the 105, what an absolute unit of a plane. I got to see one in Slayton, TX and the thing is just monstrous. I swear it has got to be one of my favorite Vietnam era aircraft. (excluding the skyraider)

904AB9BA-9822-454B-8DFA-E053697C0F8E.thumb.jpeg.d829d3b1523c4d19583cfdc5e8b30008.jpeg

Okay, guys. This is getting outta hand here. Like we said in an earlier post, this is not revolving around the plane-set. This poll was meant for the LOCATION in which you would like to fly. While you all have interesting ideas, I just felt that we're getting off track here.

Kind regards,

DLMalloy.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:39 PM, LukeFF said:

There isn't even the remotest level of interest to make the SCW doable. 

Hmmm....I think, and I believe I am not alone (regarding to poll statistic here upwards),

the spanish civil war era would pretty be interesting, by

a)

Filling the technological gap between WW1 and WW2 with a lot of interesting planes from many countries

b)

nobody covered this theatre, specially in flight sim (beside the 1946 mod)

c)

different landscape, architecture on the ground

But when its true that nobody shall has interest in it - well, than its just a damn pity