5./St.G.1_DLMalloy

Where Else Do You Want to Fly?

Air Battles Other Than WWII?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Other than WW2, what other air operations would you like to see? (If the answer you have in mind is not there, please post.)

• Korean war
    • South-East Asian War
    • Spanish Civil War

1 hour ago, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

Hmmm....I think, and I believe I am not alone (regarding to poll statistic here upwards),

the spanish civil war era would pretty be interesting, by

a)

Filling the technological gap between WW1 and WW2 with a lot of interesting planes from many countries

b)

nobody covered this theatre, specially in flight sim (beside the 1946 mod)

c)

different landscape, architecture on the ground

But when its true that nobody shall has interest in it - well, than its just a damn pity

SCW would guarantee financial ruin.

It's not even worth talking about.

Spanish Civil war would be the perfect link between FC and BoX and it offers a lot of very early WW2 birds.

• Upvote 3

@Gambit21

Well, they bring out Flying Circus. You could also argue that WW1 is in gaming a niche product (maybe not that anymore since Verdun, äääh.... BF 1 :) )

Speaking about niche products - flight simulations is also a niche branch in gaming. And here we are - RoF -> BoS -> BoX -> Great Battle Seria

I think for having a dream or men/developers put their effort into it for making it true, speaking about could be the beginning of something.

Just imagine to fly in some bi-plane over the Sierra, over Andalusia and Barcelona, personally I dont see "not possible", so the question is more: why not?

I will buy Flying Circus (as I came years to late for Rise of Flight) and would buy SCW

Just now, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

@Gambit21

Well, they bring out Flying Circus. You could also argue that WW1 is in gaming a niche product

Oh, no doubt.

SCW is a niche, within a niche, within a niche... (probably 5 of those)  :)

In a VF-51 F9F Panther on the USS Valley Forge somewhere off the coast of North Korea.............. or a Corsair, Skyraider.....................   

Cheers

Hoss

CV-45_flight_deck_1950.jpeg

Edited by 19//Hoss
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

so the question is more: why not?

Because not enough people care.

3 minutes ago, SeaSerpent said:

Hoss, you realize that nobody actually reads your posts, because they are looking at the boobs, right?

Wait, he made a post? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2018 at 4:15 PM, Gambit21 said:

Wasn't this a similar case with the Eastern Front before the first IL-2 came out?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Wasn't this a similar case with the Eastern Front before the first IL-2 came out?

Not so much.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:27 PM, 19//Hoss said:

In a VF-51 F9F Panther on the USS Valley Forge somewhere off the coast of North Korea.............. or a Corsair, Skyraider.....................   

Cheers

Hoss

CV-45_flight_deck_1950.jpeg

Shades of The Bridges at Toko - Ri. In my mind, one of the greatest aviation films ever made. It even has a believable human interest/love story mixed into it that so many flight simmers decry. Films like this prove an aviation film can have solid action and believable characters also.

I'd love to see this series head to Korea someday.

• Like 2

Interesting to note, the people saying no-one would buy a Spanish Civil War release are always outnumbered by people saying they’d buy it. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

On 8/25/2018 at 12:07 AM, Royal_Flight said:

Interesting to note, the people saying no-one would buy a Spanish Civil War release are always outnumbered by people saying they’d buy it. 

As I see it right now only 42% would like the SCW. 58% would rather fly elsewhere.

Just saying

Edited by Rolling_Thunder

@Rolling_Thunder

Actually the majority of people who voted here, prefer to fly in Spanish Civil War.

Only if you combine the other two options, you get a "majority" of non-spanish-flyers.

People are obsessed with P51's, P47's and ME262's.

But many others, if not often the same are likely open to fly some other planes & scenario.

SCW is some ideal theatre imo for the opposite end of the same meter (speaking symbolic and meaning SCW <----> Bodenplatte for example)

20 minutes ago, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

@Rolling_Thunder

Actually the majority of people who voted here, prefer to fly in Spanish Civil War.

Actually, it’s a plurality that want SCW.  Majority want something else.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:46 AM, F/JG300_Gruber said:

Anything involving jet oriented planeset, particularly with homing missiles is off my book.

Fights are boring as hell. And DCS is there for that.

As far as post WW2 is concerned, I would LOVE to see a Skyraider modelled. If I was to ever own a warbird IRL, it would be this one, or a restored He111.

But for simming, I won't fly it in scenarios where you get raped all time by mig15s blitzing out of nowhere. Boring. 

Spanish civil war is the most appealing suggestion there. Lots of interesting classic planes, plus some early/experimental variants of later designs.

I like a lot the late 30s spirit in aviation, every manufacturer came up with new designs, still experimenting with what will work, and what will not. But only after having built the plane.

I tend to agree with this. For jet sims I’ll simply go to DCS, it’s been around for years and for what it does it does a pretty good job (Asian theater, the F-4 has been in the works for some time now over there. The MIG-21 has been out). This would result in the studio competing with an already well established market for its fair share. I’d rather see them stay in the prop market since there really isn’t anyone else that can currently hold a candle to them with titles like War Thunder and World of Warplanes, to name a few of the arcades games out there. No comparison. There is so much ground to cover with the props in regards to theater of operations and so many different planes that could be added to the mix yet. Ever notice how pretty much any poll that introduces for the umpteenth time “Would you like to see plane xxx added to xxx” usually always comes up yes? Hell, there have been poles with planes that were barely out of the experimental modes of operation we’d all like to see added to the mix according to polls. So I say I’d rather see them concentrate on what they currently seem to be doing best - providing a simulation experience in an arena that no one else can duplicate to this fidelity level of realism. And now with the advent of Flying Circus and the Pacific looming it just adds more to the mix for them to concentrate on, let alone constantly squashing any bugs on existing products, tweaking performance figures on each new plane that comes out, graphics enhancements, etc.

Stir into the mix a bunch of other props that haven’t even been touched yet such as the heavy bombers which, from what I hear,  won’t be done due to current limitations and/or complexity of coding, but I wouldn’t put it past them to actually tackle this at some point and add them to the mix further down the pipeline to increase the playability and options available within the sim at some point, especially  if the title remains strong and coding engines advance as years tick by. I’d like nothing more to see this franchise continue for many, many years to come if not indefinately (well, okay, that’s a stretch, but you know what I mean!).

Sometimes what we’d all like to see or wish for won’t always come to fruit in a profit driven market and I think perhaps with DCS looming heavy in the jet realism market already along with a pool of development teams competing for the dollar within DCS itself, I know I’d be thinking twice about wading too deep into the waters of JP fueled aircraft sans ones that were known to be around in the WW2 timeframe such as the upcoming ME262.

Just my two cents, and it’s all free anyways plus I like the fact we can all bring up topics like this and share inputs. 🤗

Edited by BornToBattle

On 8/15/2018 at 9:50 PM, LukeFF said:

Because not enough people care.

I care, so add +1 to your list of not enough people.

I would be all over a SCW sim.  I'd LOVE to get my hands on a bunch of 30's era war planes. I'd even pay per plane via the RoF model. Heck I'd even pre-order it.

1 hour ago, Donik said:

I care, so add +1 to your list of not enough people.

Still not enough, and there never will be enough. 

I don't see how Spanish civil war is more financially risky to do than the Great War or even the Korean war.
Just making a flight simulator is risky. No matter what period is choosen.

Do you refer to the huge diversity of aircrafts involved or to the public potentially interrested in such period ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

I don't see how Spanish civil war is more financially risky to do than the Great War or even the Korean war.
Just making a flight simulator is risky. No matter what period is choosen.

Do you refer to the huge diversity of aircrafts involved or to the public potentially interrested in such period ?

The man raises a good point...

• Upvote 1

Spanish Civil War expansion might not be first on my wishlist, but I'd certainly be all for it if the devs announced they're making one.

But Korean war interests me personally more for its fascinating planes, everything from Sabre jets to beautiful superprops like the Sea Fury and Seafire. I would love to fly them, even if it required creative license for the map-making (since the required distances would apparently be too great otherwise).

I mean, just look at this thing:

018895.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, Bremspropeller said:

South East Asia - again, can be done without jets or just very few jets indeed, if modelling the pre-Dien Bien Phu timeframe. Airframes involved would be the entire French arsena, which was VERY interesting: P-47s, F4Us, F8Fs, Ju 88s (!), T-6s, T-28s, etc.

This indeed would be very interesting!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 3:15 PM, Gambit21 said:

I'm not entirely sure this is true. If presented properly (a great struggle involving Fascism in the lead up to WWII) it could be sold especially as they have an existing fan base.

One has to remember that he majority of sales are to the U.S. & Commonwealth... and it used to be common wisdom than any Eastern European front based flight sim would lead to financial ruin. This is one of the reasons that there were forty or so flight sims set on the Western Front prior to Oleg Maddox making Il-2.

The bigger issue is that:

- A lot of players gravitate towards later and more heavily armed aircraft (even if they are less fun to fly). Part of this is the multiplayer edge, part of this is the 14 year old effect ('what was the best')?

- It would be less profitable. Eagle Dynamics was able to make Russian aircraft (including a dedicated Ka-50 sim!) for years and turn a profit. However, they've temporarily abandoned Russian aircraft as a result of simply how much money can be made by selling A-10s, F/A-18s, AV-8Bs, and F-14s...

So we won't see it because it'd be marginally profitable (the only possibility is the U-2/Po-2 approach)!

Anyway, forum members seem interested...

2 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I'm not entirely sure this is true. If presented properly (a great struggle involving Fascism in the lead up to WWII) it could be sold especially as they have an existing fan base.

It wouldn't sell.

Very few know much if anything about it, the aircraft set has less appeal...I'm sticking with my "financial ruin"  statement.

The forum members who say they want it represent the tiniest fraction (of the forum) and an incalculably smaller fraction of the entire customer base.

BoX is already a niche, within a niche, within a niche, within a niche product, SPW would be digging a crawl space under that.

It will never happen. "Marginally Profitable" is a pipe dream - they'd lose their shirts.

The fact is that increasingly few know about the WWII airwar except from what they pick up from games and coffee books.

As for a tiny fraction of the forum - I'm still trying to figure out how the SCW got more votes than Korea or Vietnam... maybe you can explain that? I'm baffled.

54 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

As for a tiny fraction of the forum - I'm still trying to figure out how the SCW got more votes than Korea or Vietnam... maybe you can explain that? I'm baffled.

The voters in that poll have a deathwish for this genre.

Oh, and polls on this forum are almost completely useless.

There is a reason we're getting a bunch of iconic fighters in the next edition of this game.  The devs know that they will sell.

Edited by BraveSirRobin
  • Upvote 1

I wonder what they will sell after they have sold the iconic fighters.  Slightly less iconic fighters perhaps.

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I wonder what they will sell after they have sold the iconic fighters.  Slightly less iconic fighters perhaps.

They’ll sell whatever they feel will generate the most revenue.

SPANISH CIVIL WAR. Now, sorry for the caps.... its just I couldn't avoid it. I just like the planeset. I remember downloading a mod for 1946 version where you have pre-WWII and post-WWII altogether, but I just wanted the pre-WWII era.

I really enjoyed flying Bruno's 109's versions.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:46 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Being too many versions and planes to make (I remember the old Il2...) I guess that moment wont arrive anytime soon.