Han

Developer Diary, Part 190 - Discussion

34 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

According to this website https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/310066/1C_Game_Studios_Announces_Three_New_IL2_Sturmovik_Products.php   it says that early access will begin in late Q1 of 2018, meaning end of March. 

What I was mainly asking was will the early access for Bodenplatte be delayed as a result of the delay with Kuban?

Ah...got it. Not being snarky, I simply don't recall the Devs announcing Q1 EA. I suspect that your intuition that BoK's release will drive BoBo's EA is correct. By that I mean, I thought BoBo's EA would start this summer or early fall (rather than Q1).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

Ah...got it. Not being snarky, I simply don't recall the Devs announcing Q1 EA. I suspect that your intuition that BoK's release will drive BoBo's EA is correct. By that I mean, I thought BoBo's EA would start this summer or early fall (rather than Q1).

Having said that, I did read somewhere that the Spit Mk IX and the 109 variants wouldn't require as much work as the all-new aircraft, obviously, and may be out relatively quickly. Hope springs eternal, and all that...

On 02/03/2018 at 3:13 PM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

That's a relief to know ;)

Will there be a key binding for that?

17 minutes ago, Rebel_Scum said:

Will there be a key binding for that?

Yes! There has to be one right? I mean that's the most appealing feature!  ;)

Looks absolutely wonderful can't wait for the update.  Regarding the update there have been many good scripted campaigns produced will the new update prevent us from flying them?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GOA_ViperARG said:

I cannot wait! Give us a date for the lords sake!!!!

How about “Sunday, December 7th 1941, a day that will live in infamy...”

1 hour ago, GOA_ViperARG said:

I cannot wait!

...and yet you will!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GOA_ViperARG said:

I cannot wait! Give us a date for the lords sake!!!!

I've got the best of my speculative powers at work here with putting together a couple of dates that the patch may release given all of the latest information.

https://stormbirds.blog/2018/03/05/more-on-il-2s-3-001-release-date/

That's about as good as it gets. I think 2-3 weeks (already 1 of those weeks is halfway gone) isn't too bad at all!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I think 2-3 weeks (already 1 of those weeks is halfway gone) isn't too bad at all!

So my old bet on March 18th/19th (depending on where you are) is still looking promising. I'm just not sure which would be a preferred day of the week for release....need more chicken entrails....

3 minutes ago, Pail said:

So my old bet on March 18th/19th (depending on where you are) is still looking promising. I'm just not sure which would be a preferred day of the week for release....need more chicken entrails....

I don't think they'd release on a Sunday but a Monday is possible. Or a Tuesday... Either way, yes I'd say generally your bet for the 19th is promising! :)

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I don't think they'd release on a Sunday but a Monday is possible. Or a Tuesday... Either way, yes I'd say generally your bet for the 19th is promising! :)

I'm betting on the 16th.  Don't know why just a hunch:)

3 hours ago, Taxman said:

I'm betting on the 16th.  Don't know why just a hunch:)

That could be misconstrued as support for fully automated luxury communism....

7 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I've got the best of my speculative powers at work here with putting together a couple of dates that the patch may release given all of the latest information.

That's about as good as it gets. I think 2-3 weeks (already 1 of those weeks is halfway gone) isn't too bad at all!

I love your blog. It is really good! Thumbs up!

I bet it's 20th of March because it's the beginning of Spring, as the groundhog predicted ... :rolleyes:

Edited by PA_Spartan-

1 hour ago, Trooper117 said:

It's all pure speculation... it could just as easily come out tomorrow  :o:

I wouldn't count on that at all. :wacko:

On 3/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, No601_Swallow said:

Hope springs eternal, and all that...

So, you're saying the spring? 

;)

3 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

So, you're saying the spring? 

;)

No, he said "Hope springs eternal."  

That means our wait is eternal.  :o:

Waiting for BoBo and the Early Access to the P-51, P-47 and Spitfire Mk.IX and the Western advantage in numbers after flying I-16 and LaGG-3 fighters against hoards of 109's is like playing any of many Russian Front strategic level wargames.  The Germans run wild from late June, 1941 while weather is good and the Spires of Moscow beckon but the brisk wind whispers, "Winter is coming."

So enjoy your Indian Summer of German technical and numerical superiority for with the fleets of collector La-5FN Series 2 and BoBo's P-51D, P-47D and Spitfire Mk.IX, "Winter is coming."

and no, I've never seen even one episode of Game of Thrones.

Edited by slparker17
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:51 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

I volunteer to translate your blog into Spanish, there is a big community of Spanish-speaking simulation, so I think your blog would be more popular, if you agree please send me an MP, Greetings!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, slparker17 said:

Waiting for BoBo and the Early Access to the P-51, P-47 and Spitfire Mk.IX and the Western advantage in numbers after flying I-16 and LaGG-3 fighters against hoards of 109's is like playing any of many Russian Front strategic level wargames.  The Germans run wild from late June, 1941 while weather is good and the Spires of Moscow beckon but the brisk wind whispers, "Winter is coming."

So enjoy your Indian Summer of German technical and numerical superiority for with the fleets of collector La-5FN Series 2 and BoBo's P-51D, P-47D and Spitfire Mk.IX, "Winter is coming."

and no, I've never seen even one episode of Game of Thrones.

aaaand then the Me262 arrives :D

• Haha 1

...and is promptly and appropriately banned or limited from being flown in vast numbers on any server that understands historical context.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

...and is promptly and appropriately banned or limited from being flown in vast numbers on any server that understands historical context.

Bodenplatte = Me262's = Historical context.

5 hours ago, Panthera said:

aaaand then the Me262 arrives :D

And if we're historically accurate, as you taxi out and rumble down the runway and wallow into the sky you should be pounced upon by Allied fighters circling your airfield just waiting for you to make their day.  Low, slow, and vulnerable, burning 262's dotted their airfield perimeter like boundary lights.

Edited by slparker17

5 minutes ago, slparker17 said:

And if we're historically accurate, as you taxi out and rumble down the runway and wallow into the sky you should be pounced upon by Allied fighters circling your airfield just waiting for you to make their day.  Low, slow, and vulnerable, burning 262's dotted their airfield perimeter like boundary lights.

perhaps a sliiiight exaggeration of facts there on your part ;)

I'd be happy to see 5 times as many players on the Allied side vs the Axis though, that would make things interesting to say the least.

6 minutes ago, Panthera said:

Bodenplatte = Me262's = Historical context.

In minuscule numbers that never had any effect on the outcome.   Hence the same should be what happens in our little game.  If on the other hand, there are half of the Luftwaffe players in Me 262s, mopping up the Allies in every mission, you will quickly find yourselves flying alone.

5 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

In minuscule numbers that never had any effect on the outcome.   Hence the same should be what happens in our little game.  If on the other hand, there are half of the Luftwaffe players in Me 262s, mopping up the Allies in every mission, you will quickly find yourselves flying alone.

Well they were there in enough numbers to make their presence felt in a big way. That they couldn't alter the outcome of the war is hardly saying much as at that point in time it would've just about taken an Axis nuke to alter the outcome.

Finally I don't believe any map will ever see half the players fly Me262's, esp. if a realistic ratio is kept, say 1 jet for every 10 regular piston engined aircraft.

Edited by Panthera

4 minutes ago, Panthera said:

perhaps a sliiiight exaggeration of facts there on your part ;)

You're being kind.  Of course it was more than a slight exaggeration on my part but there was much truth to it.  I remember reading the German post-war narratives describing the terrible ordeal of takeoff and RTB as more and more Allied fighters haunted their airbase vicinity looking for and getting many easy kills in the critical phases of takeoff, climbout, approach and landing.  Many a high-score Eastern Front ace was undone as he struggled to get his jet in the air and up to speed.

5 minutes ago, Panthera said:

...if a realistic ratio is kept, say 1 jet for every 10 regular piston engined aircraft.

I think a more realistic ratio was probably 1 jet for every 100 Allied aircraft if you include bombers, or at least 40-1 with fighters in the area, although maybe not the immediate area.

1 minute ago, slparker17 said:

I think a more realistic ratio was probably 1 jet for every 100 Allied aircraft if you include bombers, or at least 40-1 with fighters in the area, although maybe not the immediate area.

I was speaking of 1 German jet for every 10 German piston engined aircraft ;)

2 hours ago, Panthera said:

Well they were there in enough numbers to make their presence felt in a big way

You must be reading different history books than me and everyone else. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slparker17 said:

To be historically accurate, you probably shouldn't taxi out at all:

262-cows.png

From Lancaster: The Second World War's Greatest Bomber by Leo McKinstry.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eDHF9gwqUF0C&pg=PT378&lpg=PT378&dq=me+262+towed+by+cows&source=bl&ots=20yHnc_qbW&sig=6O6H5-pp2Lwvxg8DU9_-avOKfF8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwj-uDjeDZAhXJJMAKHXtvBbkQ6AEIQzAI#v=onepage&q=cows&f=false

• Haha 2

Many a high-score Eastern Front ace was undone as he struggled to get his jet in the air and up to speed."

Or trying to get down. That's how Galland got nailed. P-47 came screaming in as he was touching down. He was lucky to be alive. It got bad enough that, as many of you know, the Luftwaffe put FW-109D's over the fields to cover landings and take offs. They had their bellies painted orange so they wouldn't be confused with Allied planes over the airfield. 

21 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

You must be reading different history books than me and everyone else. 

Than you maybe, but I'm pretty sure the rest of us will have the read the same.

With many hundred Allied aircraft shot down I'd say the jets certainly left no doubt as to their presence.

Edited by Panthera

19 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

:o::lol::lol::lol:  Cows.  Made me laugh out loud.  I know Japanese a/c sometimes were towed out of the factory by oxen but that was throughout the war.  

Best post ever!

Edited by slparker17
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Panthera said:

Than you maybe, but I'm pretty sure the rest of us will have the read the same.

With many hundred Allied aircraft shot down I'd say the jets certainly left no doubt as to their presence.

Hundreds? According to who / what? Unverified kill claim reports? Where are these reports of Allied bombers being shot down in droves by 262s? It never happened.

1 minute ago, LukeFF said:

Hundreds? According to who / what? Unverified kill claim reports? Where are these reports of Allied bombers being shot down in droves by 262s? It never happened.

Oh, you're one of those. Not even going to bother.