BlackHellHound1

A complete guide to set up Head-tracking (Opentrack)

1 hour ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

The FPS issue doesn't sound normal. Haven't heard about it before. All I can do is recommend reinstalling your CL-Eye Driver. 

Do you use the TrackHat provided "TrackHat Opentrack"? Or the original opentrack?

BlackHellHound1

Yes I’m using the opentrack that u suggested! When I go into options/camera it says tracker offline, can this be the issue??

Posted (edited)

Problem: slow movement in the game

What is the perfect camera setting (from ingame menu) to reduce the "smoothing" and "centre pulling" ? Having much better results with everything on 100% and panning without centering but still something is really slow in il2. Using same Opentrack profile in DCS and moving is much more faster.

Edited by Boris_CRO
Addenum: And yes ive lowered smoothing slider to minimum. Camera settings influence Opentrack a lot but still to understand what else can i do.

6 minutes ago, JD_LincsUK said:

Can someone who has done this please have a look at these photo's:

I am looking for the IR filter to remove it, but I can't see one at all - there is nothing obvious there to remove and the view through is perfectly clear (the guy in the YT video I watched said the filter was tinted white).

I used my nail to see if anything could be lifted off anyway, and there didn't seem to be. Maybe it was used for this already - got it off an ebay seller who had loads of them for sale.

Looks like you have the correct PS3 Eye. You will have to remove the entire inner lense. It has the Infrared filter chemically applied to it.
Carefully remove it and try to keep it in one piece. But it is likely to break and luckily it is not a big deal if it breaks.

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

3 hours ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

But it is likely to break and luckily it is not a big deal if it breaks.

BlackHellHound1

That's how it went for me a few years ago. Camera has been working perfect since I did the removal.

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2018 at 8:04 AM, BlackHellHound1 said:

Hello there, fellow pilots...

Hello

how do you reset the curves if you’ve totally got it messed up??

david.

Edited by LukeFF

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, taxi2raynor said:

Hello

how do you reset the curves if you’ve totally got it messed up??

david.

There is no reset button if that is what you are looking for. However, you can always remove points from your curve with the right mouse button. 

Otherwise. You can make a new profile and start over from scratch.

BlackHellHound1

P.S. Please dont quote my main post.

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, BlackHellHound1 said:

There is no reset button if that is what you are looking for. However, you can always remove points from your curve with the right mouse button. 

Otherwise. You can make a new profile and start over from scratch.

BlackHellHound1

P.S. Please dont quote my main post.

Yes sorry about that, ok so just make a new profile and delete the old one?

thanks for your help

taxi2raynor.

Hi everyone !!! Regarding Opentrack everything works fine as is supposed to do, but I have just one problem...Once OT launched the in-game  F9 key doesn't do it's job anymore, not even after I'd paused OT..It shows only "centering view" , not parsing the rest of them..I repeat, even with the OT paused. Setting in camera options the "fixed snap views" as default does'n have any result..The game reverts to it's default "centered view" after quitting the settings menu...Why is happening this ?

Hello,

I've used opentrack with Il2 and DCS for some time now, and suddenly I have a problem. I'm using a PS3 camera. The camera is working, as it shows up in CL-eye test. However, when I start up opentrack, it says "tracker offline". When I start tracking, the left side of the opentrack screen remains blank, with no tracking points shown. 

I've tried closing CL-test, no luck.

I've tried putting the PS3 camera on a different USB port.

Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

On 5/31/2020 at 4:25 PM, =BN=Muttley_ said:

Hi everyone !!! Regarding Opentrack everything works fine as is supposed to do, but I have just one problem...Once OT launched the in-game  F9 key doesn't do it's job anymore, not even after I'd paused OT..It shows only "centering view" , not parsing the rest of them..I repeat, even with the OT paused. Setting in camera options the "fixed snap views" as default does'n have any result..The game reverts to it's default "centered view" after quitting the settings menu...Why is happening this ?

Ingame snapviews dont work in combination with opentrack. No way to work around it. 

2 hours ago, wuffer84 said:

Hello,

I've used opentrack with Il2 and DCS for some time now, and suddenly I have a problem. I'm using a PS3 camera. The camera is working, as it shows up in CL-eye test. However, when I start up opentrack, it says "tracker offline". When I start tracking, the left side of the opentrack screen remains blank, with no tracking points shown. 

I've tried closing CL-test, no luck.

I've tried putting the PS3 camera on a different USB port.

Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

Make sure you only open Opentrack. Dont touch CL-Eye at all. The PS3 Eye can only be used by 1 program at a time and CL-Eye will steal it away from Opentrack. It should work if you never start CL-Eye.
Also, you see "tracker offline" whenever you dont have opentrack started so that is perfectly normal in this case.

BlackHellHound1

Be warned if you use the Delan shop that orders are going very slow at the moment - even for the simple items, so bear it in mind.

25 minutes ago, JD_LincsUK said:

Be warned if you use the Delan shop that orders are going very slow at the moment - even for the simple items, so bear it in mind.

Tell me about it.... I clumsily tripped over my delan clip on Monday evening and snapped the cable clean off from the USB connector.

I was about to reorder a new one from Trackhat but saw the notice explaining weeks of delays.....also the price for just the delan clip seems to have skyrocketed from when i purchased it a few years back.

Anyway, that inspired me to whip out the soldering iron, some heat shrink and after 20 minutes of working with tiny gauge wire and some slightly frayed patience, its as good as new! 

I wouldn't have coped without head tracking for a few weeks, especially with all these cool updates for il-2.

If anything further breaks, I will be building my own head tracking unit! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

If anything further breaks, I will be building my own head tracking unit! 

It's not that hard to build your own. My son-in-law 3d printed the clip for me. Ready to attach to my headset.

image.thumb.png.708922456969dd77eeb21fafcb3cd66a.png

• Like 2

On 6/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, itsbillyfrazier said:

Tell me about it....

...If anything further breaks, I will be building my own head tracking unit! 

It isn't that difficult - though as an electronics tech I would say that - but I really wish I could repair my TrackIR, but I don't think that's possible due to the way it's constructed. Well done for getting it done yourself.

Took 19 days in the end, which isn't that bad, I suppose, and could have been here quicker, but the first due delivery was cancelled at their end. I just ordered the camera on its own.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the amazing comprehensive tutorial. It helped a lot in setting up my setup.

I made both a tracking clip and tracking hat but ran into an issue with the hat/cap version.

It took me quite a while to figure out the solution but eventually I found it on the Opentrack closed issue list on Github.

Hope the info below helps and saves some time for new tracking hat pilots to set things up.

Link to the solution: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/issues/1072

Conclusion: when using a tracking hat use the dynamic pose setting.

Summary:

Issue I observed with tracking hat:

At some point during yaw or pitch movement tracking started to fail. Resulting in the octopus to loop all over the place. 

--> No LEDs obscured or tracking lost.

The issue occurs when during rotation for:

- yaw, one of the lower 2 points crosses the vertical plane of the top point

- pitch, one of the lower 2 points crosses the horizontal plane of the top point

Effect:

- Without dynamic pose setting enabled the yellow cross jumps to a different position leading into incorrect pose output. 

Note: You can do without the dynamic pose setting but it will limit the rotation that can be made. (depending on the distance between the LEDs). 

See the figures below: (courtesy of ChrisTheAviator taken from the Github issue) 

image.png.001df828d4a0c0f90a0fa6ad1b54c104.png

Notice that in the second picture the yellow cross jumped to a new offset position at the moment the bottom right spot crosses the top spot.

Edited by jpee30
removed double figure.

Any chance I can get help from any of you lads? I set everything up and it works fine on war thunder, I just can't get it to work on il2. I went through the troubleshooting steps but none worked, any ideas? I think it has something to do with me owning it through steam, when I run the game through the folder (the .exe location)  it requires me to login but has no dlc in it when I boot it up that way. If I run through steam I can play all the missions but no head tracking. I feel like I am missing a setting or something dumb. I have been trying to fix this for days and just feeling discouraged.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:15 AM, hookman11 said:

Any chance I can get help from any of you lads? I set everything up and it works fine on war thunder, I just can't get it to work on il2. I went through the troubleshooting steps but none worked, any ideas? I think it has something to do with me owning it through steam, when I run the game through the folder (the .exe location)  it requires me to login but has no dlc in it when I boot it up that way. If I run through steam I can play all the missions but no head tracking. I feel like I am missing a setting or something dumb. I have been trying to fix this for days and just feeling discouraged.

hookman11, I had this same problem.. I had to do 2 things to fix it. 

1. edit startup.cfg, change "old_trackir = 0" to "old_trackir = 1" save it and close, start IL-2. Then edit the same file and change 1 back to 0.

See the "Headtracking does not work in IL-2" section on the first page of this thread.

2. Remove all camera bindings I had to the flightstick before I got it working.

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2020 at 8:52 AM, Wuliwoo said:

hookman11, I had this same problem.. I had to do 2 things to fix it. 

1. edit startup.cfg, change "old_trackir = 0" to "old_trackir = 1" save it and close, start IL-2. Then edit the same file and change 1 back to 0.

See the "Headtracking does not work in IL-2" section on the first page of this thread.

2. Remove all camera bindings I had to the flightstick before I got it working.

I've got the same problem as hookman11. My 1 point Led-Hat is set up well with opentrack, but it just won't work with BoS.

I tried the steps @Wuliwoo adviced, but it made no difference.

@hookman11  Did you manage to make it work somehow? I really don't know how to proceed from here :(

EDIT: I've since found out that the squid is supposed to move with the tracker data, which it doesn't for me. Ive got a pretty stable, light grey point with a light blue circle around and red numbers (around 6px) so the tracking doesnt seem to be the issue... could it be that my custom made 1 point tracker isn't sufficient for opentrack?
It worked fine with Freetrack and IL2 1946 and CoD 😕 .

Any help is highly appreciated

Edited by felixeroo_24
found out that the squid doesnt move

9 hours ago, felixeroo_24 said:

could it be that my custom made 1 point tracker isn't sufficient for opentrack?

Opentrack only supports 3 point tracking so your conclusion is correct. 

Having used 1 point tracking for a short time myself, I can highly suggest getting a 3 point tracker (make it or buy it is up to you entirely). It really is a massive improvement and you'll find out quickly how much more it allows. 

BlackHellHound1

@BlackHellHound1 (or anyone else):

Hopefully you can help me out here: I've purchased a TrackHat and have installed the Opentrack software from TrackHat's website. However, when I open up the program, I see no tracking response from the TrackHat. I'm using a TrackIR camera with it. What am I missing out on here?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

@BlackHellHound1 (or anyone else):

Hopefully you can help me out here: I've purchased a TrackHat and have installed the Opentrack software from TrackHat's website. However, when I open up the program, I see no tracking response from the TrackHat. I'm using a TrackIR camera with it. What am I missing out on here?

I'm fairly sure that the TrackIR camera only works with TrackIR software. Proprietary hardware/software and such. 
I can think of 2 options. Use the TrackIR software instead. Should work with your TrackHat clip. (Unless you got a hat)
Otherwise, you'll need to get a modified PS3 Eye camera instead. 

Also, dont use the TrackHat Opentrack software, it has lost of bugs. Use the original Opentrack instead.

BlackHellHound1

Edited by BlackHellHound1

1 minute ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

I'm fairly sure that the TrackIR camera only works with TrackIR software. Proprietary hardware/software and such. 
I can think of 2 options. Use the TrackIR software instead. Should work with your TrackHat clip.
Otherwise, you'll need to get a modified PS3 Eye camera instead. 

Also, dont use the TrackHat Opentrack software, it has lost of bugs. Use the original Opentrack instead.

BlackHellHound1

Thank you! I've been fiddling around with the TrackIR software with the hat, and I have it working pretty well at the moment.

Hi i have serious problem with opentrack. I can not save any7 profile and no deufault.ini is presnt in the directory. I have used revo unistall and reinstalled opentrack so many times but it will not save any profiles. Im at a loss so help would be deeply appreciated:)

On 8/26/2020 at 1:38 AM, lassekongo said:

Hi i have serious problem with opentrack. I can not save any7 profile and no deufault.ini is presnt in the directory. I have used revo unistall and reinstalled opentrack so many times but it will not save any profiles. Im at a loss so help would be deeply appreciated:)

Try running it as administrator just to check it's not a permissions issue.

Guys, I have a problem. I've downloaded 2.3.12 ver and tried to install it only to discover that my Bitdefender sounded an alarm, discovering a lot of bad stuff. Please could you safelly check if the exe file is indeed infected.

P.

*Edit - I downloaded it from github site.

Edited by Plesski

On 9/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, Plesski said:

Guys, I have a problem. I've downloaded 2.3.12 ver and tried to install it only to discover that my Bitdefender sounded an alarm, discovering a lot of bad stuff. Please could you safelly check if the exe file is indeed infected.

P.

*Edit - I downloaded it from github site.

I have the same. No sign of infection. Microsoft Defender found nothing. Any news on this?

I'm using the portable version of 2.3.12 and MS Defender and Malwarebytes did not detect anything.

Do anyone know how the hamilton filter works on the new opentrackversion? it has some interesting new options but i cant understand it yet...

Got the ps3eye back to focus after removing the ir filter. just got to put some material between the lense of the camera and the pcb, once the lens was some mm detached of the pcb i got to enjoy full focus again without any filter 👳‍♀️, my material of choice was some destroyed inner bicycle wheel but i think any rubber type material could work since the idea is to adjust lens elevation via the little screws that attach it to the pcb making the rubber compress to keep the lens in place.

Im returning to the skies and needed to make a new clip, i present you the mk2, 13g of velcro, plastic and hair thin cables that can get attacked to the back of the chair for peace of mind.

The leds are standart 20 º ir sanded, im thinking of ordering 100 of THESE to supply the whole country for the new mfs2020 frenzy lol, anyone know wich model is the goto led for custom clips now? the old recommended model is discontinued 

IMG_20200907_182912455.thumb.jpg.a18298ef8c4ed5dfa17f29ac5f629911.jpg

Edited by Tes

I used the following LEDs:

OSRAM SFH 485 P IR-emitter 880 nm 40 ° 5 mm 

These LED's are not showing up with 5v, 8v, or 12v using a modded PS camera but my tv remote IR led does show up so that tells me the camera is working:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8XX246/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Got the PS camera from ebay without the metal ring
    • removed IR filter lens
    • added floppy disk filter
    • Installed the PS driver
    • followed the guide to adjust the slider, (RGB/Contrast) in CL-Eye Test
    • Open up OpenTrack, click start, preview window is dark but I see the LED on my tv remote flicker on/off while holding down a button on the remote. That means the camera is working, right?
  • I got these "Ximimark 10PCS SFH485P EMITTER GAALAS 880NM 5MM Radial" off amazon
    • Wired them up with a 5v spare usb cable with 10ohm resistor on the positive side (long leg) before the first LED.  2nd LED (+) leg goes goes to 1st LED (-) leg,  3rd LED (+) leg to 2nd LED (-) leg.  3rd led (-) leg going to the negative side of the USB cable but I don't see the LEDs on the Opentrack software like I do with the TV remote!
    • Took extra LEDs that I got and I have them wired on a bread board and confirmed the 1st LED (+) long leg and 3rd LED (-) short leg is a complete circuit at 5v with a volt meter.
      • Still can't see the LEDs light up with the IR Camera at 5v. 
      • Tried 8v and nope
      • Tried 12v and nope
      • No clue what to do next but what LED's do work at 5v that I can buy at a reasonable price to USA?  Ideally shipping from USA also. Thanks for the help and the well done write up on this topic!

14 hours ago, HugoCraft said:

These LED's are not showing up with 5v, 8v, or 12v using a modded PS camera but my tv remote IR led does show up so that tells me the camera is working:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T8XX246/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Got the PS camera from ebay without the metal ring
    • removed IR filter lens
    • added floppy disk filter
    • Installed the PS driver
    • followed the guide to adjust the slider, (RGB/Contrast) in CL-Eye Test
    • Open up OpenTrack, click start, preview window is dark but I see the LED on my tv remote flicker on/off while holding down a button on the remote. That means the camera is working, right?
  • I got these "Ximimark 10PCS SFH485P EMITTER GAALAS 880NM 5MM Radial" off amazon
    • Wired them up with a 5v spare usb cable with 10ohm resistor on the positive side (long leg) before the first LED.  2nd LED (+) leg goes goes to 1st LED (-) leg,  3rd LED (+) leg to 2nd LED (-) leg.  3rd led (-) leg going to the negative side of the USB cable but I don't see the LEDs on the Opentrack software like I do with the TV remote!
    • Took extra LEDs that I got and I have them wired on a bread board and confirmed the 1st LED (+) long leg and 3rd LED (-) short leg is a complete circuit at 5v with a volt meter.
      • Still can't see the LEDs light up with the IR Camera at 5v. 
      • Tried 8v and nope
      • Tried 12v and nope
      • No clue what to do next but what LED's do work at 5v that I can buy at a reasonable price to USA?  Ideally shipping from USA also. Thanks for the help and the well done write up on this topic!

Try reversing the polarity so it's technically wrong. Sounds weird but give it a try. I had a similar issue and that fixed it for me. 

BlackHellHound1

Are the led's visible on the CL Eye Test window? I built one using similar led's and the polarity was opposite the normal. If you have a 1.5 volt button battery lying around you can slide it between the leads of the led and point it at the camera to check, if not, turn the battery around and try again.

BlackHellHound1 and No_85_Gramps, I reversed the polarity and they show up!  I thought about trying it but didn't want to fry them.  So the short leg is the positive leg on these LEDs

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HugoCraft said:

BlackHellHound1 and No_85_Gramps, I reversed the polarity and they show up!  I thought about trying it but didn't want to fry them.  So the short leg is the positive leg on these LEDs

Reverse Polarity.gif

• Haha 1

My Delanclip arrived today and I've just spent 3 hours trying to get it to work with Opentrack, but with no success. The lights all come on on the webcam, Opentrack sees the LEDs on the clip, and the webcam switches on when the game is loading. I've even tried the 'IL2 smooth' file to go with it. I've tried the various workarounds suggested, but no joy. There is no response to the clip or Opentrack in-game, so I have no idea why this would be so. My Windows 10 PC is all up to date and is only a few months old and has no other problems thus far.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:28 PM, JG5_Jerry said:

My Delanclip arrived today and I've just spent 3 hours trying to get it to work with Opentrack, but with no success. The lights all come on on the webcam, Opentrack sees the LEDs on the clip, and the webcam switches on when the game is loading. I've even tried the 'IL2 smooth' file to go with it. I've tried the various workarounds suggested, but no joy. There is no response to the clip or Opentrack in-game, so I have no idea why this would be so. My Windows 10 PC is all up to date and is only a few months old and has no other problems thus far.

This may be nothing to do with your problem but....   after using EDTRacker for a long time, I decided to give TrackIR another go but could not get it to work.  The problems turned out to be that at some point I had told my PC to not allow any cameras as I never used my webcam so it was just a security risk.  It did not stop EDTRacker working but TrackIR is a camera.

I use a webcam as a microphone for work meetings, so the Delanclip camera should all be fine in terms of permissions etc from WIndows. After trying various things last night, the Delanclip still doesn't work in BOS, despite all of the software etc seeming to work as intended. I wonder if BOS is interfering in some way, but editing the startup.cfg to try and fix things has no effect so I wonder what else could be the problem 🤔

9 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

This may be nothing to do with your problem but....   after using EDTRacker for a long time, I decided to give TrackIR another go but could not get it to work.  The problems turned out to be that at some point I had told my PC to not allow any cameras as I never used my webcam so it was just a security risk.  It did not stop EDTRacker working but TrackIR is a camera.

Did you install the CL PS3-eye driver? Or are you not using a PS3-eye camera?

Also, which main options do you have on OpenTrack? Here are mine:

image.png.882718035c086e70989d8165c6c81f74.png

Edited by J2_Bidu

Yes, I have CL PS3-eye installed and it sees the camera. The camera sees the Delanclip. I also have the same options as you in OpenTrack.