Jump to content
BlackHellHound1

A complete guide to set up Head-tracking (Opentrack)

Recommended Posts

Ok, that looks right. Have you checked in windows sound devices to see which mic is set to default?

1935621475_micsettings.jpg.9c1e6691122211e5d8b0c760a70d39c5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That setting indicates that the camera mic is the default mic, not the mic on your headset. You want to try and make the headset mic the default. You can test the microphones in Windows. But in the end it may just be an issue with windows itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finally i set up headset microphone as default and it's now working!

 

o7

 

Thank you all guys!

Edited by SCG_ErwinP
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One BIG tip: if your look commands are already mapped to a joystick axis, unmap them, otherwise you may not get any response in game from open track.

 

Question: on filters, what do the Rotational and Directional Sensitivity sliders do? Is that basically the same as "smoothing" but per input type?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also: what specifically is broken about the track hat open tracker?

seems to be working well enough for me... why should i switch over to the regular version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 10:59 PM, von_Michelstamm said:

on filters, what do the Rotational and Directional Sensitivity sliders do? Is that basically the same as "smoothing" but per input type?

 

I do believe so. Would have to mess around a bit to figure it out completely but it would seem to be some more detailed tools to filter out unwanted movement.

 

40 minutes ago, von_Michelstamm said:

what specifically is broken about the track hat open tracker?

seems to be working well enough for me... why should i switch over to the regular version?

 

It is not that the TrackHat version doesn't work. As I am sure you can understand, I get a lot of questions about things not working with Headtracking. Both here and on Discord. Out of these questions, I have determined that all unsolvable issues that were brought forth are because of the TrackHat version. Many of these bugs are still presenting a mystery today. The TrackHat version can work fine but seems to have some unsolvable bugs. 

If it works for you, no need to switch. However, If you ever run into some issues, it might be better to switch. 

 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using OpenTrack for a very long time now, and I've also tested TrackHat a long time ago.
As far as I can say both are using the same tecnologies. The only differences are

1) TrackHat tried (!) to make the settings more user-friendly

2) TrackHat has much less updates/fixes as his 'master' OpenTrack

 

I've switched back to OpenTrack after a test because even it's a bit more difficult to configure.

Reason: After you've managed to set it up according to your needs it works and works and.... without any problems

 

Deci

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just switched to open track. It’s definitely nicer and seems to work better than trackhat’s version.

 

is it possible to turn off the “snap” that happens when you turn your head straight ahead (regardless of whether you’re looking upwards)

This seems to be in-game, not due to open track. It’s really annoying.

it feels like a big dead zone at the center of the planes x axis.

you can see it really well when using just the mouse to look around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, von_Michelstamm said:

is it possible to turn off the “snap” that happens when you turn your head straight ahead (regardless of whether you’re looking upwards)

This seems to be in-game, not due to open track. It’s really annoying.

it feels like a big dead zone at the center of the planes x axis.

you can see it really well when using just the mouse to look around

 

I believe someone else had this same problem. And if I remember correctly, it was solved by removing all the key and mouse bindings for your head movement in the in-game settings. 
Start there and let me know if this fixes the issue.

 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

 

I believe someone else had this same problem. And if I remember correctly, it was solved by removing all the key and mouse bindings for your head movement in the in-game settings. 
Start there and let me know if this fixes the issue.

 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

 

Sadly no. removed all key bindings didn't work.

I even tried turning of headtracking and just binding turn/bow to the mouse and restarting. The deadzone is still there with the mouse, on all settings for F9.

Turned off all bindings, snap views, etc. and restarted with tracking. Still that annoying deazone (it's about 5 degrees or so)

Edited by von_Michelstamm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, von_Michelstamm said:

 

Sadly no. removed all key bindings didn't work.

I even tried turning of headtracking and just binding turn/bow to the mouse and restarting. The deadzone is still there with the mouse, on all settings for F9.

Turned off all bindings, snap views, etc. and restarted with tracking. Still that annoying deazone (it's about 5 degrees or so)

 

Did you also remove all of your mouse head movement from the list? I think the issue is a conflict with the mouse view. Completely get rid of any mouse view bindings.

 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

 

Did you also remove all of your mouse head movement from the list? I think the issue is a conflict with the mouse view. Completely get rid of any mouse view bindings.

 

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Yep. And even the free camera rotation and movement stuff just to be safe. Only thing mapped is zoom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it you have no dead zones in OpenTrack? If not, and you are using the accela filter, check the filter settings. IIRC there are some default dead zones in the settings. Not sure this is the cure, but no harm in trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, it’s not that. Pretty sure it’s in the game, since it’s the same behavior as when looking around with a mouse, where it “locks” into a straight ahead view for about 5 degrees panning past the center line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Solved by ZachariasX!

 

To get head tracking working, I had to unbind my look mapping to the cheapo mini stick on my x56.
Problem is, i didn't FIRST reset the 92% center dead zone.

If you remove a mapping, IL2 doesn't automatically remove or disable the associated curves (and doesn't tell you there are any still applied.)

 

Definite bug. If you switch to a mouse axis, for example, the sensitivity curve remains but you no longer have access to curve options to turn it off. I didn't have a joystick at hand so i had to manually edit the config file to put in a joystick to even be able to turn it off.

Expected behavior is if you unbind a joystick it also unbinds the curves you set up for it, or at least gives you some indication that curves have been modified and still allows you to change them.

Edited by von_Michelstamm
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any advice for taming "roll?" I love the added realism (especially turning in a steep bank and leveling things out with your head, you really feel like you're flying).

...but it's tough to actually fight with. I've tried using some very output-limited curves, it's just a pain to manage. Rolling your head also affects other axes so at low settings especially it makes your crosshairs wander all over the gunsight. Also makes following a bandit from your 4 to your 8 along the rear windows nausea-inducing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, von_Michelstamm said:

Any advice for taming "roll?"

Fomerly I had a fully linear 1:1 curve with a max roll limit of ca. 25 degrees. The problem with the roll axis is that you can't realistically roll your head without affecting yaw and pitch values, hence your problem I think. Recently I simply switched it off to make my virtual head movement more simple and better under my control.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...