BlackHellHound1

A complete guide to set up Head-tracking (Opentrack)

I have added a warning concerning the use of the "TrackHat opentrack" software. Based on the problems, bugs and other issues presented to me, it is clear that it contains numerous bugs that the official version of Opentrack does not have.

Of course, for many of you will have no problems with TrackHat opentrack. However, I have had to help many more people with TrackHat Opentrack issues since writing this guide than with the original opentrack.

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

I just started using OpenTrack with ArUco marker last Sunday. Until now, I used a hat switch and buttons to look around.

It works quite well.

One unexpected effect was a better "space perception" now that my view naturally follows my head movements (and not some button presses).

In use:

25 minutes ago, Seb71 said:

I just started using OpenTrack with ArUco marker last Sunday. Until now, I used a hat switch and buttons to look around.

It works quite well.

Congratulations! Not many people seem to be able to get good tracking with the aruco marker. Your video clip shows how good it can work!

Thanks.

I am still making quite big changes to the curves. For instance, I got to what I thought is a good setting and then when I tried it with I-16, I had to use an asymmetric mapping for Y axis (up/down head movement), in order to be able to see the instruments in that aircraft. It's the only place (-Y) where I use non-linear curves (for now, at least).

My marker looks like this:

IMG_5775.thumb.JPG.4a763981fd458ee3200d260fc95267f9.JPG

Hello everyone

many thanks BlackHellHound1👍

after 2 days trying to make Facetracknoir + my homemade clip working with no  success I see the light!😀😉

really appreciated

good flights

For some reason it doesn't see my IR lights, while my CL-Eye-Test does.. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Schermopname (1).png

57 minutes ago, C-Max said:

For some reason it doesn't see my IR lights, while my CL-Eye-Test does.. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Make sure you close CL-Eye test before starting Opentrack. Only one program can use the camera at a time.

• Like 2

Try checking your settings in Point Tracker Settings->Camera->Point extraction

Play around with the threshold slider and min/max sizes, if those are not correctly set you will not see anything in OpenTrack.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:08 PM, BlackHellHound1 said:

Make sure you close CL-Eye test before starting Opentrack. Only one program can use the camera at a time.

Oooh. I thought I should keep that program running. Thank you, that should probably fix it! 

just to say thank you . spent all evening getting no were so looked on forums and saw yours saved my day now ready yo fly again .

like you said got no were with hat open track . jsut take my time to adjust and  twick  . 

cheers lats

hello there! i'm trying to use OpenTrack - it's awesome! thanks a lot:) 

But i want to recieve data with udp on my computer

i'm set up Opentrack and wrote little script at Python. 

I'm recieveng UDP-packages - 48 bytes each, but i can't to decode this.

Can you tell me, how i can to decode data from OpenTrack?

16 minutes ago, feniks92 said:

not actual yet:) 

I'm trying to decode in float, but i should have used Double:)

36 minutes ago, feniks92 said:

I know how the program works and how to troubleshoot it. No idea how to decrypt the code.

That is something you will have to figure out yourself or try to find the creator of Opentrack.

BlackHellHound1

On 3/3/2018 at 9:18 AM, Valis said:

Great post but yikes I tried your profile and....well each to their own and all that. I don't understand why when you look up you sink into the floor of the aircraft? 

I don't know why it does that. It doesn't for me. Sadly, I have no idea how to solve this either. 

In my setup (with EDTracker) I have deliberately set it to do the opposite.  When I look up more than X degrees it raises my eyeline so I can look over the nose as if I was 'sitting up'.  When I look down more than X degrees it lowers my eyeline and moves me slightly forward as if I am 'scrunching down' which also moves your head forward.   Here is the result (obviously it shows quite extreme movement because I am on the ground with the canopy open)   

Hello guys!, I bought a "Trackhat Clip" with a PS3 Camera and sofar i have set it up to work okayish is it normal that it is quite "Jumpy" or is it just my Settings?? i can never manage to follow a Plane with my Head and it's quite hard to get precise Movements and did i do somenthing wrong with when im looking either to the left or right side and then look up i will get like some weird cone effect where it it tries to avoid the middle of the glass and makes a curve around upwards instead of going straight up, also thank you for making such a thread to help people.

15 hours ago, Post_Maloney said:

Hello guys!, I bought a "Trackhat Clip" with a PS3 Camera and sofar i have set it up to work okayish is it normal that it is quite "Jumpy" or is it just my Settings?? i can never manage to follow a Plane with my Head and it's quite hard to get precise Movements and did i do somenthing wrong with when im looking either to the left or right side and then look up i will get like some weird cone effect where it it tries to avoid the middle of the glass and makes a curve around upwards instead of going straight up, also thank you for making such a thread to help people.

It sounds like you may have to adjust your curves. I think they are set too aggressive. Try making them a bit smoother and maybe (if you wish) add a small dead zone at the beginning of your curve.

If that does not work, send me some pictures of your settings. Maybe they can tell me some more. 

BlackHellHound1

Awesome guide, thank you!

I've used it for IL-2 CLOD, DCS and Elite Dangerous.

For some reason I can't for the life of me get headtracking to work for BOS.

Any help would be appreciated!

I can get just a tiny movement when I'm in game and there's no adjustment settings I can see in the key mapping 

22 hours ago, Farkup said:

Awesome guide, thank you!

I've used it for IL-2 CLOD, DCS and Elite Dangerous.

For some reason I can't for the life of me get headtracking to work for BOS.

Any help would be appreciated!

I can get just a tiny movement when I'm in game and there's no adjustment settings I can see in the key mapping 

Hello Farkup, 

This sounds like something I have not come across yet. Bit of trial and error will be needed. 

If I understand you correctly, you do get movement in-game from your Opentrack, right?

Check your mapping. Your curves might be to flat. Make sure to set your max rotation correctly and pay close attention to the numbers on the line at the bottom.

If you have game detection enabled. Check if the correct profile connected to the IL-2.exe.

If that all look fine, then open the game and go to "settings", "camera" and set it to default. 

Hopefully one of these will fix it. 

If you still have issues, send me some screenshots from your mapping properties and maybe that will help me get a better idea of what the issue is.

BlackHellHound1

Posted (edited)

Since this only occurs in BOS; does the Camera Settings have any effect on head tracking movement?  I don't have VR.  What does Limit VR view in Camera Settings do?

Edited by czech693

5 hours ago, czech693 said:

Since this only occurs in BOS; does the Camera Settings have any effect on head tracking movement?  I don't have VR.  What does Limit VR view in Camera Settings do?

It shouldn't affect your headtracking. I am just trying to think of anything that might fix it. 

And I have no idea what Limit VR does. I have it unchecked and it works for me. 

BlackHellHound1

On 3/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, BlackHellHound1 said:

Hello Farkup, 

This sounds like something I have not come across yet. Bit of trial and error will be needed. 

If I understand you correctly, you do get movement in-game from your Opentrack, right?

Check your mapping. Your curves might be to flat. Make sure to set your max rotation correctly and pay close attention to the numbers on the line at the bottom.

If you have game detection enabled. Check if the correct profile connected to the IL-2.exe.

If that all look fine, then open the game and go to "settings", "camera" and set it to default. 

Hopefully one of these will fix it. 

If you still have issues, send me some screenshots from your mapping properties and maybe that will help me get a better idea of what the issue is.

BlackHellHound1

BlackHellHound1,

Well, I have it sorted, thanks to your last tip. I had thought that it might have been a control conflict, and resetting my binds did it. 

I was getting some lateral movement, and a few degrees of pitch and roll, so I reset just Camera to default first.

I had the camera bound to a thumb stick on my joystick, and head fwd/back to a hat.

Some sims allow multiple inputs, I like to move my head back, in cruise so I can see all the gauges at once.

Once that was sorted I changed the mapping, now  just need to fine tune it.

The hat control (head or camera) movement doesn't work now, so that kind of proves it.  Might want to add it to troubleshooting. I bought the game first,, then the 

headtracker came later.

Thanks a ton for the help, and the awesome guide! 

Farkup

• Upvote 1

I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with.   I'm using a DelanClip with OpenTrack and it's working very will with just a couple of issues.    Full disclosure, I'm not playing IL-2 at the moment as I've been obsessed with the DCS F-14 lately.

My challenges, issues are:

1.   I can easily lean forward to zoom in on gauges and instruments that are normally at eye level.    When looking down at instruments to either side of my legs it becomes extremely difficult to look sideways then zoom down.    My assumption is that this is a limitation on being able to sense the LED's at that angle.  Any suggestions?

2.   Head up and down movement.    I'm not referring to pitch, I'm referring to the challenge in looking at gauges down near the knees.   I can utilize pitch to look down and see them but how do you "squat" enough to get in line to see them and be able to zoom in?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bear66

If you are not using the "y" axis for anything, you can change that to "pitch" and add some for when you look down, if set right, when you look down you will also squat some. You should also be able to set the "x" axis so you can move sideways and then look down.

Edited by No_85_Gramps

3 minutes ago, No_85_Gramps said:

If you are not using the "y" axis for anything, you can change that to "pitch" and add some for when you look down, if set right, when you look down you will also squat some. You should also be able to set the "x" axis so you can move sideways and then look down.

Thanks Gramps.    I can squat a little but no where near enough to be able to read the gauges down near my knees. 

I never use the "y" axis, so switching it to "pitch" comes in handy. Works great for looking at the gauges in the I-16 too. This tip was from another forum member, somewhere in this thread IIRC. 

2 hours ago, Bear66 said:

1.   I can easily lean forward to zoom in on gauges and instruments that are normally at eye level.    When looking down at instruments to either side of my legs it becomes extremely difficult to look sideways then zoom down.    My assumption is that this is a limitation on being able to sense the LED's at that angle.  Any suggestions?

Do you use forward head movement as zoom? If so, it might be more effective (and less disorientating) to use buttons or a slider for the actual zoom. 

It may also be worth setting up asymmetric mapping to make it easier to look down (more sensitive pitch down). 

2 hours ago, Bear66 said:

2.   Head up and down movement.    I'm not referring to pitch, I'm referring to the challenge in looking at gauges down near the knees.   I can utilize pitch to look down and see them but how do you "squat" enough to get in line to see them and be able to zoom in?

Again, try to use asymmetric mapping. Make your vertical head movement (y) more sensitive when moving your head down. 

Asymmetrical mapping may take a day or so to get used to but you won't notice after a few hours of flying while still having the easier movement. 

BlackHellHound1

22 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

Do you use forward head movement as zoom? If so, it might be more effective (and less disorientating) to use buttons or a slider for the actual zoom. 

It may also be worth setting up asymmetric mapping to make it easier to look down (more sensitive pitch down). 

Again, try to use asymmetric mapping. Make your vertical head movement (y) more sensitive when moving your head down. 

Asymmetrical mapping may take a day or so to get used to but you won't notice after a few hours of flying while still having the easier movement. 

BlackHellHound1

I do use my head movement to zoom.    For instruments at eye level  or at the sight it works perfectly.    For the instruments that are lower, especially the ones on the side it's been an issue.  Granted I just started using it a few days ago so I'm still getting used to it.

I do you the asymmetric mapping, primarily for looking down.     Maybe what I need to do in increase my head zoom settings.

I do have an extra wheel on my throttle.     I think I'll map that to zoom and try it.    

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep tinkering.

Edited by Bear66