Sign in to follow this  
Blue352

IL-2 UE confusion...

Hey Folks!

I'm new to this forum, but not combat sims. I'm having trouble getting answers to a couple of questions, so I'll give some quick background here. Shortly after dinosaurs became extinct, I was into a sim called European Air War. You might recall that one. It was fun for a few years and I still have it today. In 2004 I was introduced to an online sim called Warbirds. I joined some of my fellow 352nd FG Association members who started a 352nd FG squad and flew with them until around 2010 or so. I grew frustrated with that sim (as well as some of the players), and left it. During all this time I was aware of IL-2 but never really looked into it until this past Fall. I was seeing lots of great videos of the game on You Tube and thought, "what the heck? I'll get it". The graphics looked like they improved greatly from what I saw before, and I learned it was due to "upgrade" patches developed by other players, and could be downloaded online. So today..... I have two questions.

I found IL-2 Ultimate Edition on Amazon for cheap, and got it back in November. It has Forgotten Battles, FB Ace Expansion Pack, 1946, and Pacific Fighters. My assumption was that I could load this and get the graphics improvements online..... BAM, good to go! Nope. Question 1: What I'm finding is that I apparently need one of the other versions to do that? Not sure which one if so. Can someone steer me in the right direction with this?

After playing the game as it is for the past 3 months, I wasn't so worried about rushing to get the improved graphics, since I was having plenty of fun as is. I made two battles in "Quick Mission Builder" which I flew a lot, and also one of the "Single Missions", called "Comrades in Arms". I shot down a lot of FW-190s, and after many attempts I FINALLY got a kill on a BF-109!! They were the most challenging in that battle, but YES! Finally got one!! The next day my stick quit working. Here's what's happening:

I have a CH Products Fighter Stick and Rudder Pedals. They are working just fine. The USB ports are working just fine. I can go into Programs and pull up Settings, calibrate the stick and pedals just fine. I can go into the game menu under Controls and program the buttons on the stick just fine. But when I go into the game menu for Hardware to calibrate and check the stick and pedals.... I get nothing??!!! And my controls don't work in the game anymore. Dead. I recall when going into the Hardware option that it would say "CH Fighter Stick" in the drop down, but it doesn't anymore. I'm almost sure it's a simple "point-click" issue on a setting somewhere, but damned if I can find it. Question 2: What am I missing here? Like I said, it seems it would be a simple "point-click" fix, but I'm not finding it.

Sorry for the long post, but I would greatly appreciate and thank in advance any help with this. Looking forward to getting this thing working again. I'm suffering withdrawls!! :o:

I don’t know how to help, but I’ll make this post to bump the thread. Hopefully the right person sees it.

Just a blind guess, but seems that your setup somehow lost axis assigments.

Go to the 'Hotas' section where you also assign keys and buttons.

Reassign axes if necessary.

Good luck!

Hi, Blue352 I have a very similar flight sim history to you, and "recently" re-found il2 again.    iL-2 Ultimate Edition is a name for the DVD release incorporating Team Daidalos patches to bring il2:1946 up to v4.11.1m.     But the game is now up to v4.13.4m.     However some modders plane and graphics packages only work with earlier versions of the game as they are kind of code cracks of the game code to work!   

This site http://www.derrierloisirs.fr/il2/bdd2012/ has the best summary of il2 mods (can use Google translate as its in French),  Il2 mods are complex to understand, some difficult to install and some HUGE like 50GB!    i have only used HSFX as its quite an easy install and only a 6GB download.

Does your joystick work in other games?   Its also possible il2 mod patchs applied over the wrong game version could break the joystick also.  

Good Luck

What is your OS. Go into your main IL2 folder and look for a file called config. It is a text file (If I remember correctly it is in the main folder.. it's been a while and I am not home but I will check when I get home as I still have IL2 on my HD.... anyway.. check the properties of that file.. make sure it is not set to Read Only. If it is it can totally screw up your assignments each time you reboot the sim.