Sign in to follow this  
fiddlinjim

Deflection Shooting and Rocket Aiming

I have improved my deflection shooting with guns and also with using rockets substantially by setting up a custom view and selecting  HELP with shooting/aiming and rockets.

I was always misjudging the amount of lead to take but after using help with aiming I have a much better feel on the lead to take and my

kill rate has gone up nicely and I also finally hit something with my rockets.

I realize that it is cheating and don't use it consistently,  but I could never get it right before.  

I would say that using aiming help is like using the aircraft icons to help keep track of opponents and tell opponents from friends.  Use it to practice and wean yourself off of it.  Eventually you should have a feel for how it works and be able to do without it.  (Which you will eventually have to do for multiplayer servers.)  Dissimilar guns (i.e. MGs & cannons) firing at the same time will have different impact points depending on range, and I don't think the sights are tuned for convergence, drop, etc. for rockets.

I don't feel like cheating at all as long as I'm still having a hard time to hit even with aiming helps. Just started flying a couple of weeks ago though, and the only air targets I manage to put down are the big fat bombers for now... very, very difficult new hobby I've just step in :)

On 3/9/2018 at 7:19 PM, RainbowCorner3 said:

and I don't think the sights are tuned for convergence, drop, etc. for rockets.

Aiming help for rockets and bombs works fine too.

Actually that is the right way to learn. I do the same off line. I get unlimited ammo plus the aim assist. In A quick mission I get 1500 m initial advantage, myself with 1 wingman versus 4  bots, I even set the bots to no ammo. And that training I do before going on line. Shooting is a skill that has to be constantly maintained if you do not practice constantly you loose it. So you need to have an adequate training setup. This is mine. Just bear in mind that shooting in the game is also difficult because of the 2d. It is very difficult to hit a target flying in 3d by having 2d  perception. That is why 2 things: you have to maneuver in order to get the less deflection as possible. you have to shoot at close range. 

High deflection shooting is the next level. You need to practice the first level first. 

There are 2 ways intuitive shooting and gap shooting. There are online historical tutorials which will give you understanding how to use the Revi or Gunsight how to calculate deflection and estimate aspect angles. Then you will have a solution based also on the relative speeds. Or, you can go intuitively by using the aim assist and repeat shooting until you get it. 

Also there are also different type of shots: snap shots and trailing shots. They are different. It is very usefull to watch gun camera videos and to analyse the shooting oportunities and to try to reproduce. You will see that there are patterns that repeat themselves; those are the shooting patterns. So watch how masters of shooting do it online check mr x videos on you tube. There are people on line that do that for years every day, so do not expect to be like them immediately. The best defense is not allow them to shoot than to expect them to miss. They won't.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1