Developer Diary, Part 189 - Discussion

Great! Nice info, thanks, very much looking forward to the new campaign :)

- Will we be able to start from a parked plane rather than only on the runway?

- will we be able to set our waypoints ourselves?

Cheers

I would assume it is safe to say that if there is an option box saying start on runway we will be able to start parked!

What I am wondering is as there are so many customisable things such as difficulty, front line density, campaign speed....... how will the progression get awarded?

Edited by AeroAce

It sounds like the new campaign missions play out similarly to the current ones, with clear skies while in transit and plenty of opposition placed directly over the target. The long chase back to base seems familiar too. Those who have enjoyed the current career will be right at home I suspect.

I suggest you not judge the content of what is coming based on one AAR. Intercepts can and do happen anywhere along the flight path to the target.

• Upvote 3

I am very happy I finally got a look at the performance and mod specs for the new aircraft. It's really a close run thing as to which I am most anxious for. The Yak-7B was my favorite VVS aircraft in old IL2, and the A-20 my favorite light bomber of all time, and the P-39.....icing on the cake. I kind of doubt I'll do much flying with the wing guns, but I am glad to see the extra .30 cal ammo as an option.

I have a doubt about the p-39

"Maximum Possible power (up to 2 minutes): 3000 RPM, 60 inch Hg"

Is this what in the Allison manual for the V-1710-63 is referred as War Emergency Ratings? 

Because in that paragraph one can read this: "Operation at War Emergency Ratings must be limited to periods of not more than 5 minutes each".

Hope someone can clarify this, thanks  :)

Emergency power for P39L is 3000RPM @ 42" for 15 min

Take-Off power is 3000RPM @ 51" for 5 min

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-39/P-39K-1_L1_Operating_Instructions.pdf

The maximum it can run is beyond both of those.

This. You could do the same on the P-40 by the way, but given that it had strict limits anyways you went above 50" and your engine will blow quickly. Now it will also blow, but you'll have a reserve of roughly 2 mins. Pretty nice if you ask me.

I don't think there has been an "official" statement on whether it does or not.

The closest I have seen that I can remember, is a few months back someone posted on the current campaign system some critique, and Jason responded in that thread saying to forget about the current campaign as they are building a whole new system.

I think some presumptions are , that it will replace the current campaign, but no official word I am aware of.

That is kind of how I remember it being discussed at one point too. I'm positive the new campaign will blow what we have now out of the water. Still, the current system will generate some pretty slick missions at times. It would be nice to keep it as a super QMB.

The most important thing is that Career mode is being developed not only for the Battle of Kuban, it will replace the current Moscow and Stalingrad campaigns as well.

- Han, Dev diary n132

• Upvote 2

It sure looks like we've got the immersion we asked for!

My biggest questions (still) is whether this is 100% single player only or whether there is a coop option. Having this in coop would be completely dreamy; single-player only would be a little unfortunate since coop is "where it's at".

Fingers crossed.

It sure looks like we've got the immersion we asked for!

My biggest questions (still) is whether this is 100% single player only or whether there is a coop option. Having this in coop would be completely dreamy; single-player only would be a little unfortunate since coop is "where it's at".

Fingers crossed.

I think that is the plan, whether it makes it in the initial release we will have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

La-5FN true airspeed at sea level:

552 km/h boosted

583 km/h nominal

Boosted is slower?

Looks like the values are swapped. Easy enough to make mistakes like that or typos when finishing a long shift. Not the only data entry error in the new plane specs. I am sure they will get corrected as they are spotted.

As excited as I am about all of the new planes and updated features... it’s that Career mode that’s most exciting. I’m really hopeful it’s going to be a lot more dynamic than now and by all indications it’s going to be. Plus the squadron and pilot stuff is much better!

They are working their tales off. :)

Finally!

As an old school sim pilot, the BoX-games has always seemed unfinished to me, without a career-mode.

Flying unrelated missions with no consequences, as a nameless pilot with nameless wingmen, can't hold my interest for long. That's why I only bought BoS, haven't played it much, and had no plans of getting BoM or BoK.

But if the career-mode is good, and thereby creates a realistic story and progression for my pilot-character and wingmen, I will return to the BoX-series and buy them all!

Cheers,

Edited by BodyBag
  • Upvote 1

This. You could do the same on the P-40 by the way, but given that it had strict limits anyways you went above 50" and your engine will blow quickly. Now it will also blow, but you'll have a reserve of roughly 2 mins. Pretty nice if you ask me.

If the maximum throttle is anything like in the P40, it will be terrific, unfathomable even (for the enemies). ;)

So, we can make our own pilot profile and biography!? That is really damn cool if we can. I will use my Great Grandfathers name Vincenzo Trangale.

If it's like the RoF system then you can create the name and choose from a set of bio's that are pre-created. If I remember correctly that is.

If it's like the RoF system then you can create the name and choose from a set of bio's that are pre-created. If I remember correctly that is.

Yes, that's how it works. For those that are familiar with ROF's career mode, the overall structure here is much the same.

Edited by LukeFF

Yeah one thing I miss from RoF was the ability to select who went on what mission, and who was in what role during flight.

Each pilot had a name, rank, and it was up to you how you wanted them to progress and gain experience.

I always had my select few in my flight, as soon as there was a new pilot I would sub them in on my flight or make them a lead on easier patrols.

When someone was lost it sucked because it felt more interactive.

I cannot wait for this career mode. I just hope it does not kill my pc

as usual

(Sigh)

Look what I found in reply to this accusation of yours, twice: ;)

And all planes had serial production planes conditions - the ones when frontline usints get them, as well for germans.

As well we had combined control report for serial production planes from few factories, which build fighterplanes in USSR thru 1943, and i would say - each factory, sometimes, build its own airplane, due to workers quality, etc.etc    ;)

PS: usually, most of the books we had on LaGG`s/La  - is just another re-print / re-compilation, nothing new there, ive gathered lots of copyes of original test reports from TSAMO and such, and sometimes i wonder where these sources texts came from.

thats not true, all VVS airplanes modelled correspondingly to serial production machines control tests by NII VVS/LII VVS.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/8379-190-109-climb-rates/?view=findpost&p=141771

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/8379-190-109-climb-rates/?view=findpost&p=141717

You guys really need to find a new hobby and stop accusing the guys of actions that are patently false.

Edited by LukeFF

S!

So they went for the paper values / TsAGI(polished and prepped) for the La5-FN, as usual. NII VVS tests clearly show that production planes of La-5FN reached in general ~540km/h boosted and only the La-7 1944-45 production model reached 580km/h at sea level, paper value was 608km/h. In comparison also La-5 reached 508km/h boosted, La-5F ~520km/h boosted at sea level. These from Russian documents I got during IL-2 beta ages ago.

I was going to say why you bother cause there will be some tester soon saying you are wrong and probably that you have some agenda etc. but seems that I was already too late :D

Unfortunately most VVS serial production planes expecially when we talk about La5FN didnt have such good performance like developers choice for BOX. Most common data for 1943 La5FN says medium about 570 kph at sea level and about 620 kph at altitude. These was much more historical data which developers should aim for more fairness situation. With data they used they should probably make second 1944 year version more polished and reduced weight more close to prototype but not for 1943 year serial plane used in fronlines.

"Delay in the testing of the La-5 Type 39 did not stop Semyon Lavochkin's work. During March 1943 the bureau completed the second prototype Type 39, a duplicate powered by the already tested M-82FN engine. Unlike other La-5s it had metal main spars, like those of the Yak-9. Like the series aircraft, however, it was armed with two synchronised ShVAK cannon, and its finish and aerodynamics were even more improved. Pilot A Nikashin managed to attain a speed of 369.7mph (595 km/h) at sea level at augmented power, and 402.6mph (648km/h) at 20,000ft (6,300m). The time to 16,400ft (5,000m) was 4.7 minutes at normal power rating. Reduction of the aircraft's weight to 6,9841b (3, 168kg) enabled it to perform a banked turn at low altitude in 18.5 seconds.

Unfortunately, not all of the innovations could be incorporated in series aircraft in the spring of 1943. They had a wing, centre section and other components similar to those of series-built La-5s and a flying weight of 7,2861b (3,305kg).

Performance proved to be rather worse than that of the prototype Type 39. Speed fell to 329.3mph (530km/h) at sea level and 379mph (610km/h) at 19,000ft (5,800m), and time to 16,400ft (5,000m) was about five minutes (a figure typical of all subsequent La-5FNs).

In November 1943 La-5FN No.39210495 was thoroughly tested at the air force NII by pilot A Kubyshkin and leading engineer V Alexeenko. It was stated that the improved aerodynamic elevator balance made the aircraft nicer to fly, but attention was mainly directed at performance. At a weight of 7,3231b (3,322kg) the La-5FN developed a speed of 336.7mph (542km/h) at sea level (356mph 573km/ h with augmented power), 377mph (607km/h) at 10,500ft (3,250m) and 385mph (620km/h) at 20,000ft (6,150m), maintaining excellent manoeuvrability in both the horizontal and vertical planes."

Edited by 303_Kwiatek
  • Upvote 3

S!

Funny that you jump in like a white knight ;) Well, TsAGI documents have shown that the planes tested there were specifically prepared for the flights, like waxed, seams filled, gun ports sealed etc. and they did not have combat equipment. No wonder they got amazing results ;) If you read some russki documents there are mentions from frontline units that NEW planes had to be re-rigged on the field due BAD fittings etc before they could be used in combat effectively. Lots of complaints of bad quality and performance not even close to the promised. There is a plenty of that information around. Anyways, funny how there are different versions of same test documents. Pick the best? Heavy sarcasm.

If you had read and digested the post by Luke you would realise your TsAGI comments are not relevant

If you choose to believe the Dev's are in fact lying then it is probably better to move on rather than be frustrated and resort to passive aggressive juvenile white Knight insults

Cheers, Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

TsAMO is not TsAGI. They use NII VVS reports from TsAMO (central archive of ministry of defence) TsAGI is equivalent of US NACA. Its a scientific institution dealing with aerodynamics. They did wind tunel tests. NII VVS did test real machines,not TsAGI.

We get series 2 model,for which we do not know serial number so its difficult to judge the production date. My estimate is june 1943 and tests executed during june 1943 at Sverdlovsk (NII has been evacuated there) as basics for performance data.

As an example.NII tested only one P-39L and I suppose this is the source for our ingame Cobra. Tests were done on machine as it came from ALSIB supply line. It did not represent the machine flown by frontline units. It was completely winterized (lots of additional isolation for different fluid ducts+ additional antifreez platings at leading edges of wings,horizontal and vertical stabiliser+full set of radio and radio compass). We should complain,but who can say what could be the real performance if there is no evidence?

I am also genuinely curious what data will they use for example for Kurfurst,as there were no official tests done for it. Will they go with estimated calculation or rely on reports from units giving much lower performance values then calculated?

• Upvote 1

I assume there's a way to use our own face? I'm uh...asking for a friend...

I am hoping that at some point pilots skins may become available.... but I assume you mean just in the career folder.. sort of like a picture of the pilot in a file folder..  

I assume there's a way to use our own face? I'm uh...asking for a friend...

I am hoping that at some point pilots skins may become available.... but I assume you mean just in the career folder.. sort of like a picture of the pilot in a file folder..  

• Han unpinned this topic