Han

Developer Diary, Part 189 - Discussion

Those performance figures hint at very interesting times ahead in the mp world.

Thank you for posting them early.

Those performance figures hint at very interesting times ahead in the mp world.

Yeah all the controversy anyone could want..... :blink:

The 109 G6 is slower than all the other 109s in every altitude?

The MG was the only change to the airframe then? Oo

Welcome to the beginning of "heavy bomber interceptors" era for LW. Increasingly heavier armaments squeezed into small air-frames...

Edited by Ehret

Hahaha I looked again and the pilot pics are pretty funny.

I see what they did with the face swap to generate many combinations of heads/faces but they need a bit of work.

Maybe someone with experience with neural networks in the community can give the devs a hand?

"After short series of mad maneuvers, he and the attacking Bf 109 hit the ground" 

Sorry,but this is well known AI bug.(besides of many others) I thought this would be fixed with the release of the new campaign system?

Guys, some more issues for discussion today.

I've posted flight performance for 5 new airplanes of 3.001:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25993-aircraft-flight-and-technical-specifications-and-operational/?do=findComment&comment=578199

Thank you very much for this. It really opened my appetite.

Doesn't the A20 have 2 forward firing machine guns?

Forward-firing armament:

12.7mm machine gun ANM2 .50, 200 rounds, 850 rounds per minute, nose-mounted

That's exactly what you are reading there.

• Upvote 1

Guys, some more issues for discussion today.

I've posted flight performance for 5 new airplanes of 3.001:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25993-aircraft-flight-and-technical-specifications-and-operational/?do=findComment&comment=578199

Many thanks Han, i updated my quick reference guide with your data.

Just to make sure, did you update any data for older planes? Or just the new ones (Yak7, P39, A20, La5FN, Bf109G6)?

Man - that looks great - what does the title of that newspaper translate as? (hah - just curious)....

"Guarding the Fatherland" or "On the Guard of Fatherland"

Other than the part where the tester mentioned the MiG and 109 flew in to the ground.

Yep wish that hadn't been a part of what was otherwise a very promising report. But nothing of any substance has been said that suggests improvements to such AI behavior are coming.

Edited by TheSNAFU
  • Upvote 1

Really looking forward to this.  Good teaser.

Ceowulf<><

Edit:  And thanks Jade Monkey

Edited by Ceowulf

Many thanks Han, i updated my quick reference guide with your data.

Just to make sure, did you update any data for older planes? Or just the new ones (Yak7, P39, A20, La5FN, Bf109G6)?

Just for new ones

Without a doubt the dynamic campaign is what I'm looking forward to most and indeed is what I've wanted from the start! 

• Upvote 2

Sweet! Thank you and now I can begin to play BoX regularly when the Career mode comes.

I'm more into singleplayer, so this is the best of news...like the career mode in RoF, love it!

Keep up the great work! :-)

Finally, with Career Mode and Coop play, this game looks to be offering what it should have had at launch. My main concern is whether or not we'll be able to customize our difficulty level (not just choose from two arbitrary difficulties). Fingers crossed. Does anyone have info on this?

• Upvote 1

The variant we get has 2 forward firing 50cals, yes.

There were more changes like the fixed tailwheel that simplifyed production but did have impact on performence. Overall the G-6 is heavier, has morre drag, higher wing loading while retaining the G-2's engine. If you're looking for superb firepower however you'll easily accept this tradeoff.

Edited by 6./ZG26_5tuka

That's exactly what you are reading there.

Call me stupid, but:

Forward-firing armament:

12.7mm machine gun ANM2 .50, 200 rounds, 850 rounds per minute, nose-mounted

Isn't this wrong?

Do we get 2x 12.7mm machine gun ANM2 .50, 200 rounds, 850 rounds per minute, nose-mounted OR 2X 12.7mm machine gun ANM2 .50, 100 rounds, 475 rounds per minute, nose-mounted ?

Edited by Pupo

New campaign system looks great!

I am glad to see the devs added more route info (especially that the time of the leg is accompanied by the speed info; flying height and the length of the leg are welcomed as well)

I am curious if missions with more then obligatory 4 waypoint are going to be generated...

post-15525-0-02329800-1519367955_thumb.jpg

will it be possible to play the career mode missions in co-op mode??

or are the two modes are completely independent, with no interaction possible between the two of them??

Has anybody info about this?

Here goes my question again. Maybe this time I'll have more luck and at least somebody will answer "I don't know" LOL Edited by Chipi

Call me stupid, but:

Isn't this wrong?

Do we get 2x 12.7mm machine gun ANM2 .50, 200 rounds, 850 rounds per minute, nose-mounted OR 2X 12.7mm machine gun ANM2 .50, 100 rounds, 475 rounds per minute, nose-mounted ?

2 guns, 200 rounds per gun. :) 

• Upvote 1

Here goes my question again. Maybe this time I'll have more luck and at least somebody will answer "I don't know" LOL

It's independent. The carreer mod is only for single player.

It's independent. The carreer mod is only for single player.

Thank you.

It would have been nice to have been able to bring a friend to help you with your career ...

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

It would have been nice to have been able to bring a friend to help you with your career ...

I agree, and i hope that in the future, it would be possible (it's only my hope, dev didn't talk about that), because, it could generate a multiplayer campaign without any knowledge in the mission editor. But the carreer mod is very complex to build as a single player mod, and dev work hardly to finish it.

The new career mode looks very promising, screens look great but the playability will be key to its success. ;)

What kills most campaigns/missions is where there has to be a absolute to progress, return to base and land for instance, the old game allowed you to set it up so that as long as you survived and were in your own territory you could generate the next mission, much more true to reality I think and this mode does need to allow the player to set it as such but will it?

Anyway, great that the offline players, the majority here, are finally going to get what should have been there at the start.

Looking forward to the release, thank you very much to all who are working on it, really appreciated. :salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

It sounds like the new campaign missions play out similarly to the current ones, with clear skies while in transit and plenty of opposition placed directly over the target.  The long chase back to base seems familiar too.  Those who have enjoyed the current career will be right at home I suspect.

Is it possible to share some information on how the briefings are presented?  I felt the existing ones could do with some embellishment to read less like a game tutorial and be more human in the way they are laid out.  So I would be very keen to see any extra glimpses into that area.

I also found that the player actions within each mission always seemed to be made hollow by the very strict rationing of destruction effects.  Destroyed aircraft and objects burn for mere seconds before going out or disappearing altogether.   A member of the dev team said this is not hardcoded, but is a mission setting in QMB and career templates.  Will there be an option to extend these destruction effects to a more realistic duration?

I hope you can also reveal something of the chat bar messages.  Currently QMB and career use the player's login name when saying they destroyed an object or aircraft etc.  While this is great for MP, it is less than ideal for singleplayers.  Will the chat bar show the user name, or instead use the campaign character name in the text messages presented on the HUD?

It would be great if you can share something of what happens after a mission too.  Whether there will be an opportunity to lodge kill claims or review events.

Gah, too many questions...

It looks and sounds great. Easy would be my preference to. I only hope that my hardware will be up to the job at a reasonable setting.

Will the new campaign system supplement or replace what we currently have?

Will the new campaign system supplement or replace what we currently have?

I don't think there has been an "official" statement on whether it does or not.

The closest I have seen that I can remember, is a few months back someone posted on the current campaign system some critique, and Jason responded in that thread saying to forget about the current campaign as they are building a whole new system.

I think some presumptions are , that it will replace the current campaign, but no official word I am aware of.

• Upvote 1

Great! Nice info, thanks, very much looking forward to the new campaign :)

- Will we be able to start from a parked plane rather than only on the runway?

- will we be able to set our waypoints ourselves?

Cheers!