JSKATTEBOL100

Looking for person or group VR

Hi all,, I am slowly working my way forward with the learning curve with BOS,   I am flying in VR only, as I like it so much in spite of the drawbacks.    I live in Western Canada and would like to hook up with others flying at least partially in VR.  I would like to get on top of the VR aspects and problems such as,  I cannot see any communications while flying,, So i dont even know if I have broken some server rule or someone is trying to talk or chat to me.   The usual txt chat think does not appear in my vision in the cockpit.   I fly mostly 109 G2 at this point as I like this plane but mostly because it seems to require the least engine management.  I suspect that this engine management changes according to server rules, but do not know.  

If you have any help to offer or are willing to get on TS and chat, it would be much appreciated.   I am sure I can get more from VR than I am currently getting.     

Question:  The new higher resolution version of the Vive is coming out this year,   approx 70 percent more resolution, this will help a lot. but will this demand more from my system?   I have a i7 7700 4 core CPU,  32m ram, GTX 1080,   SSD drive,,  Im thinking the resolution of the monitor is still higher than the new Vive Pro and as such should not be a problem.   I was also wondering if turning off the graphics card feed to the monitor is possible and a good idea if resources become a problem.   Im running that 34 inch curved monitor at 3440 x 1440 while I am flying in VR and it seems to be a waste of graphic horsepower,, any opinions on that.  

Over and out and thanks for any help or opinions,,  

Cheers

The higher the resolution, the more demanding it will be on the system for sure. I'm waiting for the 8K units to get refined, much better quality of picture than even the newer Vive about to hit the market, they just haven't dialed it in quite yet, but it's likely going to require a beast of a computer to run a steady 90FPS. I find turning the resolution for the monitor down as much as you can will help slightly with frames, but with your machine it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. 

As for seeing chat, make sure you bind a key to hide the GUI. You should be able to see it once unhidden, I believe it should be enabled by default, but test it out by pressing the key you have it bound to, I have it set to down on my hatswitch on my HOTAS

If you don;t know the TS, just search for it on here. If you need any other help I can hop on there and help ya out. 

Posted (edited)

Hi there

I'm looking for some other "vr only players" like me (and you JSKATTEBOL100). I prefer to fly the spifitre IX and I played around 60 hours in vr so far. It would be fun to play missions online or just try some formation flights. If someone is interessted please write me a pm and I'll add you on steam.

Cheers

Edited by MontanaZh
  • Like 1

I play strictly VR only (vive pro). I’m usually online on either the Wings of Liberty or Combat Box server flying whatever allied fighter is available. The squadron I fly with has a teamspeak server that I can invite either of you to join. I can help you out with formation flying, tactics, or whatever else you would like help with. 

• Like 2

Same here, looking for other vr pilots to fly with. Ever since I got my Rift for Christmas I only fly vr. The resolution may not be there, but that is totally offset by the immersion factor.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, MontanaZh said:

Hi there

I'm looking for some other "vr only players" like me (and you JSKATTEBOL100). I prefer to fly the spifitre IX and I played around 60 hours in vr so far. It would be fun to play missions online or just try some formation flights. If someone is interessted please write me a pm and I'll add you on steam.

Cheers

Hello All,

Just like MontanaZH and JSKATTEBOL100, I am a VR only player, and would also like to fly a Spitfire online. My basic flying skills - especially engine management - needs some practice and I will be practicing offline for a while until I can regularly take off, manouevre and land again without crashing. I used to play Il-2 1946 online and was fairly competent, I could push the Spitfire to the edge of it's flight envelope and was quite a good shot, especially angles and deflection shooting. I am, however, a complete noob when it comes to this latest Il-2 Great Battles series.

I'll post more when I've got to grips with all of the controls and am feeling like flying against human opponents.

S!

Algy

Posted (edited)

hey all! i like to only fly VR as well mostly axis tho, i was thinking of maybe trying out on flying with a wing man or a few with VR only players, im a solo kind of guy but ya like to change things up i got about 300ish hrs in VR. im in central canada, i can use TS or Discord. always good times to make new friends pm me if any interested..

Edited by BMX-8