-IRRE-Axurit

I would like use my radio !

_ The further use of an on-board radio, the voip is very well used with lots of possibilities on infantry simulations, why not on an air simulation, it seems to me that something pushed on DCS?

It will also be more fun when you fly alone to be grafted vocally to a squadron, to make a call to cover etc, and in a "genuine" way.

I do not speak of ia, but of voip! radio channels between players.

For even if we are not on a discord or ts, we can enter into a voice communication. With a filter of radio effects of time, and why not constraints due to the distance, state of the material, weather etc ..

Edited by Axurit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 6

This would be great. It could work like ARMA's ACRE-advanced combat radio mod, which sits 'over' TeamSpeak.

It allows controls for different frequencies and different types of radios, so each person has a small short-range radio for inter-squad comms, and one squad member has a bigger one to talk to other squads, and HQ has a bigger one again to co-ordinate with air support or armour or artillery.

Degradation of sound quality depending on distance, line-of-sight or interference is also a feature which makes for an immersive experience.

That system could work well for BoX, with each aircraft radio being different and having a different, historically-accurate range. So the better radios of the P-40 or P-39 suddenly make those types a stronger choice than the more manoeuvreable Yak but with an inferior radio.

And have a set number of switchable frequencies for your own flight, other flights, your own whole side or the new Air Marshal mode which would allow for intelligence sharing, requests for assistance and fighter direction in a more organic and immersive way than chat, as well as providing a way to get people talking and encourage co-operation as well as foster links between the community.

• Upvote 5

I don't think a new 'Authentic' voice system can provide anything that Teamspeak does not and would actually be worse.  You say 'For even if we are not on a discord or ts, we can enter into a voice communication.' but a realistic system would not allow this as your radio was tuned to particular frequencies just for your squadron and your flight and the only common frequencies would be ground control etc.   

If that is what you want then just set up a Teamspeak server with a channel for HQ, a channel for each airfields Ground Control and many 'squadron' channels with 'flight;' channels below them.    You will of course need a dedicated person manning the HQ channel to co-ordinate everyone as each squadron will be unable to talk to anyone else and even the flights within a squadron would not be able to talk to each other except via the flight leaders.  You could probably get away with just having an unmanned channel for airfields so you could at least tune in during take-offs and landings and hear who else is in the circuit it to reduce the chance of collisions.

I have actually experienced the above while flying in CLoD in the SoW server.  We had volunteers to act as 'Top Hat', the ground controller, for special events and the occasional casual evening.  Every squadron had its own channel and sub channels (though within squadrons people tended to keep all comms open between flights)   Top Hat could talk to squadron leaders and vice-versa and could also see radar plots that we could not so vector us towards enemy bombers.  It was possible to do in Teamspeak but a bit fiddly for Top Hat to keep having to select which squadrons he wanted to talk to.  The ACG server had custom made software that integrated the radar and comms just for the controllers use and replicated a Battle Of Britain style plotting board as well as making it very easy to see where each squadron was and communicate with each at the press of a button.    When we switched to flying DCS we also experimented with using SRS which directly linked with the clickable radios in the cockpit. With the Spitfire that meant just having four available pre-set frequencies as that was all they had.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, that's true. Although if you were prepared to overlook the realism issues you could have radios that could be set to other channels. There are enough realism issues in the sim already that it wouldn't stick out too much.

The advantage would just be in getting proper communication between people in-game as so few people use the official teamspeak and most people are on comms anyway with their squadron mates, it would just offer a way to combine the two.

• Upvote 1

This is a great idea.

We would use this feature in ACG for sure. We like to do campaigns with as much historical accuracy as possible. 

A feature like this would allow us to really get into it on another level. When we play Rise of Flight we don't talk about game. Just shoot the shit on the way. Once combat starts it goes dead quiet.

It would allow for good teamwork in pub servers as well. While we have TS or Discord everyone is scattered across many, many channels.

An in game communication would allow for some great team work. Even with the multiple languages it would be fun. I don't understand German but I love flying blue with Germans. Adds to the immersion. There is often at least one I can communicate with and relay back and forth.

Many of us already use TS or Discord while using an in game voip for things like FPS. You're going to use the voip to call someone a f#ckwit now and then.

I like this idea. A lot.

Edited by 7./JG26_Smokejumper
  • Upvote 3

On 20.02.2018 at 2:16 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I don't think a new 'Authentic' voice system can provide anything that Teamspeak does not and would actually be worse. 

1) Team Speak can't provide team comunication because you have to choose between communication inside one/two flights and do not knowing what is going on on the map OR communication in a whole team, which is chaotic when there is more than 7-8 people in different flights (your six! break left! who? me yes, you! me? means who? no, not you! etc....)

We need two levels without alt-tab->TS->change channel->alt-tab again->oh, im dead.. etc. And you don't hear overal channel at all... Now try to imagine 20-30 random people in one TS channel in 4-5 fights simultaneously... It would be useless.

Last time we tried as follows: we were in overal, a little chaotic TS channel with 7-8 people in push-to-talk, mostly listening, communicating with the neighboring flights only in important matters for coordination and we were simultaneously in Discord channel for our flight only to coordinate manuvering inside one flight only all the time.

It was optimal but it requires two applications at once: TeamSpeak and Discord being used simultaneously, it requires knowledge, it requires time, it requires to gather people every time etc, it is a pain in the ass. 

2) By far the most important thing: most people do not use TS/Discord at all. It requires finding the server, checking if there are people from the same server (i.e. WoL, TAW, Berloga, Finnish etc), deciding which TS/Discord server to join, decide which channel to join and it requires overcoming psyhological barrier which is - as other games shown - far easier to overcome by most people if there is official voice communication built in in the game.

Practice is showing day after day, month after month - without built in voice chat 60-70% of the players will not use any form of voice communicattion and the rest will use 4-5 different TS/Discord channels not being even aware of the rest.

This could be a game changer which would improve the experience->make players more satisfied->make them play more->attracting additional players from different games like WT etc.

cheers

Edited by bies
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

Every day and more and more polation increases on the servers, and more and more we read on the chat:

-where are you?

-bombers need cover

-we must coordinate

-wait i start discord

-give me your ts

etc etc etc

It would be so simple if we could just talk. Please consider my request.

And when you fly in VR it's really unpleasant to have to type text, which will not be valid when you're done.

• Upvote 4

DCS radio (add on) experience may are not properly applicable in IL-2's.

Not all WW II era planes*  radio allow the pilot  switch radio channels for talk with someone other than their squadron/controller - their radios have crystal for a unique frequency and are set by ground crew.

Battle of Britain Luftwaffe Adlertag cockup start due the fact that fighters pilots are not able to talk with bomber pilots (different frequencies).

* E.g early Spitfire TR-9 radio only one channel , later models (e.g. MK.Vb) use a American  radio (TR5043) that allow switch between 4 pre-set channels.

Edited by Sokol1

Ok i can understand that, The Russians also had very bad radios at the beginning of the war. But the BOX episodes are not at the beginning of the war, and bodenplatte happens in 45. the material has evolved considerably compared to the battle of England.

And every time I fly proves to me that it lacks a means of local communication other than the chat.

It seems to me that it was functional on IL2 46 no?

I will add my Simple word. As i dont have any friend WHO flight sim and on games like csgo or squad i have them to meny. Social aspect of multiplayer is most important thing to me. As i found in Squad game random friends can be the best and most fun as they say war make the best friendships. So at this stage ill easly trade spitfire from boddenplatte for this in games radio feature which is for my among top most important factors which can make me gave up IL2 someday od not added :(

• Upvote 1

Yes the social aspect, is very important for me to. Actualy we can add à friend on the stats window, and after ?

This topic can be interesting for you. 

I am planning the locations of the controls in the cockpit, I still hope to use this radio animated but  useless.
Is a VOIP system so consumptive to bandwidth ????

Edited by Axurit

I have to say the absence of this feature is the biggest whole in the MP experience. The alternative is; "come on guys, use teamspeak radio plugin, come on let do it." (except for one guy who doesn't want t interact with anyone on a "multiplayer" server,...LOL)