Jump to content

Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, WMR (Reverb G2), etc.


Recommended Posts

I only want to say that Today I got a “flash” and tested IL 2 with FFR Active - it’s finally working like a charm !
Tested FFR conservative over 1h at Bodenplatte map and it’s not crashing like before. I can finally enyoy this sim with ultra settings with my “old” rtx 2080ti

Nvidia 260.89 , PT .087v2 , FW .295

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 12:20 AM, TWHYata_PL said:

I only want to say that Today I got a “flash” and tested IL 2 with FFR Active - it’s finally working like a charm !
Tested FFR conservative over 1h at Bodenplatte map and it’s not crashing like before. I can finally enyoy this sim with ultra settings with my “old” rtx 2080ti

Nvidia 260.89 , PT .087v2 , FW .295

 

Do you feel that you get a eyestrain-effect or discomfort after playing Pimax, especially with your eyes' focus? My eyes would wander divergently after using mine. Called Exotropia, very dangerous:

Strabismus

After not using the Pimax 8KX, it has stopped again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it is back to War Thunder, G2 makes no difference to the Rift S I had before unfortunately.

No way for me to get fluid visuals, on an I7 8700k clocked at 4,9 GhZ. I had some hopes that the reprojection might be better with the G2, but it's not.

Yesterday I did extensive testing in the Wings of Liberty server, 60Hz, 90Hz, reprojection forced, auto, off. I never get smooth gameplay.

I don't reach 90 fps in Il2, what ever i'll do. Tried both 50% and 100% in SteamVR, does not make a difference in terms of fps.

And I just can't bare playing with reprojection or 60 Hz, in dogfights it's massively offputting seeing aircraft warping around. 

I guess in the autumn I will buy the fastest single core (end-user) processor on the market and make another try. In the meantime i am forced to play War Thunder 🥴

Edited by II./JG77_Manu*
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a “sweet spot” for resolution in VR?  I’m using the G2 and I occasionally find I am not rendering some distant contacts.  I’ll be flying with a buddy on discord who is directing me to look at the same bit of sky.  The enemy will eventually pop into view, but at certain distances I’m not even rendering a pixel.  Not just Compared to flat screen.  I’ve had this with a friend running the oculus.

 

It has been a while, but I remember I had no trouble spotting with the HTC Vive.  (I just couldn’t ID them).  But spotting/lod mechanics might have changed since then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NakedSquirrel said:

Is there a “sweet spot” for resolution in VR?  I’m using the G2 and I occasionally find I am not rendering some distant contacts.  I’ll be flying with a buddy on discord who is directing me to look at the same bit of sky.  The enemy will eventually pop into view, but at certain distances I’m not even rendering a pixel.  Not just Compared to flat screen.  I’ve had this with a friend running the oculus.

 

It has been a while, but I remember I had no trouble spotting with the HTC Vive.  (I just couldn’t ID them).  But spotting/lod mechanics might have changed since then.


My brother on his Rift sees contacts a few seconds before me on my G2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 7:16 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

 

Do you feel that you get a eyestrain-effect or discomfort after playing Pimax, especially with your eyes' focus? My eyes would wander divergently after using mine. Called Exotropia, very dangerous:

Strabismus

After not using the Pimax 8KX, it has stopped again.

 

No , it's fine . I took long time to get everthing perfect in my vision by using ipd offset, mechanical ipd and extra velcro straps under 6mm vr cover face pad

Edited by TWHYata_PL
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NakedSquirrel said:

Is there a “sweet spot” for resolution in VR?  I’m using the G2 and I occasionally find I am not rendering some distant contacts.  I’ll be flying with a buddy on discord who is directing me to look at the same bit of sky.  The enemy will eventually pop into view, but at certain distances I’m not even rendering a pixel.  Not just Compared to flat screen.  I’ve had this with a friend running the oculus.

 

Fenris suggests using a SteamVR resolution or 60 - 70% for the G2, after that it impacts your ability to spot contacts. But of course, more pixels = more beautiful picture, so it's a tradeoff.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

+1, I use 70% SteamVR, HDR On, SSAO off, with no FXAA nor MSAA, and get 80-90 fps. I feel I can spot well, I can see dots in the distance and I don't get bounced as often as I did with my Oculus Quest 1 or at 45 fps in the G2.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for helpful info @SCG_Fenris_Wolf . I just recieved my Reverb G2 and RTX 3080 card. Had some trouble getting vr settings to work. But your config settings helped a lot.

I use 80% supersampling for app settings in Steam VR. I only lowered shadow quality from 4 to 2 because someone else posted this some time earlier. 

 

Only thing maybe is that you can see some ragged edges because no AA is used. But that's a minor hindrance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I’ve tried dropping to 45-50% but I still have trouble with spotting far contacts, plus the game starts to get ugly at that res.


It’s frustrating because I can see extreme far contacts 10km out.  Tracers are also visible at very distant ranges, but there is some odd gap 2-5km where zoomed in or out I don’t even render a pixel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, josh455 said:

Only thing maybe is that you can see some ragged edges because no AA is used. But that's a minor hindrance. 

 

Ragged edges on shadows, or on everything? I find shadows on less than 'High' gives ragged edges to them. I tend to go with 'off', 'High' or (preferably) 'Ultra' for shadows if I can get away with it. Low and Medium just look bad.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have just found a Nvidia 3070 card within my price range ( about $600.00, )while newer 3080 cards are still substantially above what I can afford.My question is do you recommend I wait when & if prices drop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Have just found a Nvidia 3070 card within my price range ( about $600.00, )while newer 3080 cards are still substantially above what I can afford.My question is do you recommend I wait when & if prices drop?

Yes. Wait for 3080 Founders Edition. They clock as far as the board partners' models. There's no use getting a 3070 if you have a 2080ti.

 

Get into some alert group, put it on your mobile, login to the distributor and save the details in autofill.

 

This way I bought 3x 3080 and 1x 3090 - all for MSRP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for the advice!

Alert group? From a store that might get them in stock? I've tried to get info about pre purchase from NewEgg & BestBuy with no luck.

Edited by Blitzen
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Many thanks for the advice!

Alert group? From a store that might get them in stock? I've tried to get info about pre purchase from NewEgg & BestBuy with no luck.

OT

Hmmmmm yes, similarly. There are alert groups that use bots that do regular inventory checks. I only know for Europe (from Italia to all the way up across the white cliffs) or I would've sent you a link already. I'm one of the "Part Alert" OGs. 

There are certainly NA equivalents, you could e.g. check out Nvidia's Discord for directions. It's worth it, the 3080 is so much quicker. 

 

/OT

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm @Blitzen, the demand & supply situation isn't changing anytime soon. You don't want to be patient, you want to be active.

 

Finger on the trigger, alert-channels on push-message, logged in to the distributor each morning (usually lasts for 24hrs), creditcard always with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hmm @Blitzen, the demand & supply situation isn't changing anytime soon. You don't want to be patient, you want to be active.

 

Finger on the trigger, alert-channels on push-message, logged in to the distributor each morning (usually lasts for 24hrs), creditcard always with you.

 

....Shortening your life with the stress of it all🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries, that's what the bots were for after getting fed up! I can only repeat: Can't beat them, so join them! :biggrin: I got 1x 3080 Trio X & 2x 3080FE & 1x 3090FE for MSRP ez pz. My friends and family all got latest-gen GPUs now. Happy faces. I would have had more stress if I had not gotten an up-to-date GPU yet! :biggrin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

No worries, that's what the bots were for after getting fed up! I can only repeat: Can't beat them, so join them! :biggrin: I got 1x 3080 Trio X & 2x 3080FE & 1x 3090FE for MSRP ez pz. My friends and family all got latest-gen GPUs now. Happy faces. I would have had more stress if I had not gotten an up-to-date GPU yet! :biggrin:

 

May I ask you a bit offtopic question ? Which HMD is for you better G2 or Cosmos with lens mod ?  I have 8kx and G2 and og Vive with lens mod but I was always courious how is clarity , comfort and FOV with Cosmos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

No worries, that's what the bots were for after getting fed up! I can only repeat: Can't beat them, so join them! :biggrin: I got 1x 3080 Trio X & 2x 3080FE & 1x 3090FE for MSRP ez pz. My friends and family all got latest-gen GPUs now. Happy faces. I would have had more stress if I had not gotten an up-to-date GPU yet! :biggrin:

Being a newbie to this form of finding & buying graphics cards this way ,I’m not aware of who to contact or sign up with.I’m in the U.S. and have accounts with Best Buy & NewEgg , but getting on a pre-order list has been useless.If you can can you PM me suggestions ,esp. what worked for you &/or others. Sure I can carry my cell phone & credit card with me, but without being on some bots list it doesn’t matter.Finally did you manage to get your 3080’s near list price?

Many thanks1

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Being a newbie to this form of finding & buying graphics cards this way ,I’m not aware of who to contact or sign up with.I’m in the U.S. and have accounts with Best Buy & NewEgg , but getting on a pre-order list has been useless.If you can can you PM me suggestions ,esp. what worked for you &/or others. Sure I can carry my cell phone & credit card with me, but without being on some bots list it doesn’t matter.Finally did you manage to get your 3080’s near list price?

Many thanks1

I've bought a 3080, a 3060ti, and a Ryzen 5600xt all through the Best Buy app. Just keep signed in, and have your address and payment info saved in the app. When they get stock drops, they leak a few every few minutes and the buy button turns yellow. That gives normal people a chance to lock in the purchase. At least it has for me on all the aforementioned items.

Just keep looking mid-day on weekdays. The buy button goes from "sold out" to a gray "waiting for stock" button when some are about to be released. Then wait for it to turn yellow for you, then hurry and buy.

 

Edit - and Best Buy is good because they sell the FEs which are still at msrp. Many of the third party cards have just gone up in price.

Edited by unlikely_spider
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I've bought a 3080, a 3060ti, and a Ryzen 5600xt all through the Best Buy app. Just keep signed in, and have your address and payment info saved in the app. When they get stock drops, they leak a few every few minutes and the buy button turns yellow. That gives normal people a chance to lock in the purchase. At least it has for me on all the aforementioned items.

Just keep looking mid-day on weekdays. The buy button goes from "sold out" to a gray "waiting for stock" button when some are about to be released. Then wait for it to turn yellow for you, then hurry and buy.

 

Edit - and Best Buy is good because they sell the FEs which are still at msrp. Many of the third party cards have just gone up in price.

I assume this would be an app on my cell phone and IPad? Would notification also show up on my PC? How often did you check? I'd like this not to be the center of my waking hours...

302-The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-quotes.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I assume this would be an app on my cell phone and IPad? Would notification also show up on my PC? How often did you check? I'd like this not to be the center of my waking hours...

302-The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-quotes.gif

Yeah, a phone app. The website works the same way though, if you want to do from your pc.

I followed a Twitter account that notified of stock drops of high demand items, but also saw stock randomly while checking throughout the day. If I were still looking, I'd probably be checking periodically from like 11am to 3:30pm Eastern time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Yeah, a phone app. The website works the same way though, if you want to do from your pc.

I followed a Twitter account that notified of stock drops of high demand items, but also saw stock randomly while checking throughout the day. If I were still looking, I'd probably be checking periodically from like 11am to 3:30pm Eastern time.

I just downloaded the Best But app  and put a "Save " on the item.They tell me if I check in either/ or my cell or PC they'll let me know if & when it comes in>

 

 

5 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

 

BTW Thanks to all - I am on the "Save" list for BestBuy that's at least something in the right direction. I wonder if any other outlets have a similar option?

8ball.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

I experienced something interesting that may shed a clue on the handicapped seeing we have in VR. 
 

The setting - , we were in a 3 ship formation (me 110) returning from a bombing run. We were in a vee formation with me in the right rear position. The lead was in front slightly to the left. There were times the lead ship was barely visible though it wasn’t very far in front. All I could see was a thin smudgy horizontal line against a slightly hazy sky. It was challenging to fly a precise formation but we made it happen. 
 

I have various level of zoom on my throttle and flicked the lowest level of VR zoom on. Whoa, the size of the ship width increased a little, but amazingly the entire airframe of the ship filled in. I could make out engine nacelles, props, tail boom, vertical twin tails, etc. it was like the size increased 10x. But it wasn’t width, it was the body filled in from a near invisible line to a meaty body of the airframe.

 

do we have a lod issue at this distance? It would go a long way to explaining many of the seeing issues we have in Vtr. 
 

jokkr

 

thought my setup might be useful. My game box is a new build I finished last month. GPU is latest and greatest. 
 

steam SS is 100%, in game SS  is 100%

 

game graphics is Ultra with the recommended settings in the startup.cfg

 

i run 90hz virtually locked with new GPU

 

headset is a HP reverb G1 
 

 

Edited by JG51_jokkr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JG51_jokkr said:

I have various level of zoom on my throttle and flicked the lowest level of Vtr zoom on. Whoa, the size of the ship width increased a little, but amazingly the entire airframe of the ship filled in.

 

I'm not sure i'm understanding you correctly...

Do you mean: You zoomed out to the least amount of VR zoom / biggest field of view... or do you mean: You zoomed in to the lowest level of VR zoom?

 

To me, the second makes sense in my mind, zoom in a notch and the details should be more visible. But if you are saying that you zoom out and then there is more detail, this is something that a few of us can verify and get changed for the better, either way, it's an issue that the Developers can address.

 

Just my thoughts,

Algy-Lacey

 

 

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify, my zoom setup is low zoom, medium zoom and max zoom. I was using the minimal (least) amount of zoom, I’d guess 25-30%. Not the 5 or 10x the game offers. The number of pixels the game engine drew was many times with this small amount of magnification. We were significantly less than a km from each other. 
 

note with VR, you can only zoom in, there is no zoom out. The standard field of view is as wide as it gets, you want wider, turn your head.

Edited by JG51_jokkr
Link to post
Share on other sites

So it seems that we need to ask the developers if we can have the same aircraft LOD's that we have when we zoom in one notch, at the standard field of view. This would eliminate spotting issues that have been going on for some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What started this all was during the formation flight, I had my leader clearly in front of me with the details of his plane being well defined. I let my throttle slip slightly and the distance increased a very tiny amount and his plane would virtually disappear. Upon careful examination I could make out his wingspan but little else. I move throttle up a few percentage and slowly moved closer. Bang his full airframe magically appears.

 

the game engine was changing the number of pixels displaying. Rather significantly.

 

some maybe the fact I use a very high density headset.( Reverb G.) which may be part of it. But possibly this is an area of significant improvement without the normal VR vs monitor discussion.

Edited by JG51_jokkr
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sense getting a magnified view won’t go over as it would create larger planes,, but to use more pixels to display would not. LODs are used to save resources but we,re all rocking more power and the hit to frame rate would be minimal, perhaps negligible.  Using more pixels would make the other aircraft more meaty and not larger.  Contrast is improved as the minimal approach reduces contrast as well.

 

I just think the lod switch is too early distance wise.

 

jokkr

Edited by JG51_jokkr
Link to post
Share on other sites

the spotting ability compared to a display is ridiculous,  yesterday I flew with many 2d players and they were spotting way more planes than me with the reverb g2 hmd, even zooming the planes were only two or three pixels...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, =X51=Viper_VR said:

interesting. i'm flying with a G2 as well but spotting planes is fine, having more trouble with the actual IDing

which are your settings? I am struggling specially looking below me

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Gents,

 

having some difficulties with the setup guide on Page 1:

 

Golden Rules:

"You want a static picture, to spot moving objects against that. This is why landscape filter is "blurry" and shadows are either "Extreme" or "Off" (they flicker)."

Does it mean "this is because landscape filter is "blurry" and shadows are either "Extreme" or "Off" (they flicker).", which means I should turn these off, or this is why they should be turned on ?

 

"SSAO_enable = 1" - where can I enable it? (However later, under "Performance issues" it says SSAO should be enabled for GPU boost. )

 

"Keep the gamma..." - where to set?

 

Thanks for the help !

Link to post
Share on other sites

That means you have to start game, go to settings and set proper values for your system, i.e:

Filter -> blurry

Shadows -> Off (or extreme if you have GPU from year 2025, but never select 2 middle options)

...

 

You can change most of the settings directly in game, but some are hidden. You may see and edit all here, in text file:

 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\startup.cfg

 

 

Edited by Brzi_Joe
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

the spotting ability compared to a display is ridiculous,  yesterday I flew with many 2d players and they were spotting way more planes than me with the reverb g2 hmd, even zooming the planes were only two or three pixels...

 

Zoom doesn't help with spotting. It makes it worse. The far out planes are scaled bigger but when you zoom in they are not. Far out planes are actually smaller with zoom than without. You should only use zoom when you are close enough. Not exactly sure how close though.

 

I like the current spotting ability, it is much better than what we had before but I would like to see a system where zoom always helps over no zoom. Maybe applying the scaling to all steps of zoom for far away planes would be a good solution if possible.

 

Note that I am using my G2 with 50% SS so that might help with spotting. I haven't tested with higher SS than that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...