Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, WMR (Reverb G2), etc.

On 12/15/2020 at 9:06 PM, JG51-Hetzer said:

And here's me, happy as Larry with 45 to 90fps (1080Ti). The re-projection with the G2 is absolutely superb, no ghosting, stuttering, nada. :)
I've done zero in the headset's software/settings. Both the Rift and the Q2 had issues, ranging from minor to major. The G2 has none (once it's running).

IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad Screenshot 2020.12.15 - 10.08.26.23.png

I'm confused by exactly how you have it running with no stuttering when below 90fps. 

Gotta say, for me, if it drops lower than 90 it's a horrid stuttering mess. Moving my head around in the cockpit I can clearly see ghosting and stuttering on the cockpit bars etc. 

Can you clarify exactly what settings you use in Steam VR to have re-projection working smoothly? Also, does yours lock to 45fps or 90, or is it spending most of it's time at 60fps (as mine tends to). I must be missing something because the stuttering and ghosting is absolutely awful for me (taking off the ground moves like a slide show). 

In the end I set mine to 50% SS in Steam VR so I could stay between 80-90fps. But have yet to test with clouds...

System is 9900KF and 2080 Ti. 

5 hours ago, Moelders109 said:

I'm confused by exactly how you have it running with no stuttering when below 90fps. 

Gotta say, for me, if it drops lower than 90 it's a horrid stuttering mess. Moving my head around in the cockpit I can clearly see ghosting and stuttering on the cockpit bars etc. 

Can you clarify exactly what settings you use in Steam VR to have re-projection working smoothly? Also, does yours lock to 45fps or 90, or is it spending most of it's time at 60fps (as mine tends to). I must be missing something because the stuttering and ghosting is absolutely awful for me (taking off the ground moves like a slide show). 

In the end I set mine to 50% SS in Steam VR so I could stay between 80-90fps. But have yet to test with clouds...

System is 9900KF and 2080 Ti. 

The headset's settings are totally stock. I did find that in co-op missions I saw an increase in ghosting and stuttering but still acceptable for play. I then OCd my CPU (i5 8600k) from 4.3 to 5.0ghz and that seems to have fixed it, so clearly a lot of CPU-intensive stuff can hit the smoothness.

Mostly at 45fps.

Edited by JG51-Hetzer
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I’m curious,when the Reverb G2 arrives should I delete/uninstall the Pimax & Pitool functions before trying to install the new headset?

If you will no longer be using the Pimax, you might even want to do a fresh Windows install. My systems get full of crud over time and I always find a reinstall helps freshen things up. I'm reading plenty of issues with WMR and the G2, having remnants of Pimax stuff in there probably won't help.

(But you can also just wait if/until you run into a problem).

On the VRAM thing, I still think 10GB on the NVidia cards is worryingly small. On the other sim (the jet simulator) I cannot run my Index higher than about 2200 vertical pixels on a multiplayer server, because the textures + whatever it needs for the actual rendering memory use up more than the 10GB in my 3080. Now you might argue that other game is an unoptimized POS -- and I would agree with you! -- but nevertheless it's a mainstream simulator where you can easily blow 10GB of VRAM in a common use case. If anyone has a G2 and that other game, can you run it at 100% (or even 80%) and not run out of VRAM? The symptom of running out of VRAM is a sudden frame time increase to something crazy like 33-50ms per frame.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

If you will no longer be using the Pimax, you might even want to do a fresh Windows install. My systems get full of crud over time and I always find a reinstall helps freshen things up. I'm reading plenty of issues with WMR and the G2, having remnants of Pimax stuff in there probably won't help.

(But you can also just wait if/until you run into a problem).

On the VRAM thing, I still think 10GB on the NVidia cards is worryingly small. On the other sim (the jet simulator) I cannot run my Index higher than about 2200 vertical pixels on a multiplayer server, because the textures + whatever it needs for the actual rendering memory use up more than the 10GB in my 3080. Now you might argue that other game is an unoptimized POS -- and I would agree with you! -- but nevertheless it's a mainstream simulator where you can easily blow 10GB of VRAM in a common use case. If anyone has a G2 and that other game, can you run it at 100% (or even 80%) and not run out of VRAM? The symptom of running out of VRAM is a sudden frame time increase to something crazy like 33-50ms per frame.

Yeah that is one of the reasons I splurged and bit the bullet on a 3090 card this go around. 

• Upvote 1

IT ARRIVED! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

The short version: disconnected the Pimax and after a couple of hiccups with headset not turning on & interface with Mixed Reality,got it up & working.( lucky for me I found the very tiny connector that converted one of the small “plugs into a USB friendly plug...)Applied all the recommendations found here and did the perimeter tracking as well.I had a small problem with mouse cursor in game , but I think that’s solved too,now.Using the new Microsoft Mixed Reality ad only one small glich & that is having to use the Windows key+Y to get the cursor working from time to time.

It took a while but not too tough & not nearly as many steps needed for the Pimax & Pitool and the good news is that it really works well in game even with my “ancient” 1080 card.Very good resolution and acceptable FPS ( high 30’s-high 40’s give or take, close to what I was used to with the Pimax5K)) so all good. Maybe there is a way to boost this but I may. Have to muddle along until a Nvidia 3070 or AMD 6800, whenever that will be.

Immediate (small) questions: when I lean into cockpit (i.e.towards monitor) I see the Mixed reality grid of a couple of vertical lines & a circle overlapping the images of the cockpit or exterior view. Do I need to do do the perimeter mapping again or is something else going on? Do I need to be concerned with : rear projection, smoothing & number of Hz’z ( whatever the they are? Many of these were part of things that could be handled on the Pitool but now I’m not sure  where to dial these in if I need to? Steam VR somewhere?

Summing up after my brief trial yesterday ,I’m pleased with the new ReverbG2 ...very pleased! A relatively easy install and it worked well from the get go. The PIMAX will be deleted from the PC and will go up for sale after Christmas.

Again , many thanks for all your suggestions in this thread and a great Christmas...mine came a day or two early.

Edited by Blitzen

@Blitzen in the WMR portal settings you can disable the display of the room limits to not see the boundary  lines when you learn forward.

There's also an option that solves the mouse/win+y problem, not sure how it's called (it's the last combobox on one of the setting pages)

You can also change from 90Hz to 60Hz in the portal.

To enable motion smoothing you need to do this in the SteamVR Room, explained here 

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper
7 hours ago, Blitzen said:

All good ...Last question ; what's the general consensus on 60 vs.90 Hz? What the heck does Hz stand for - what does it do?

Thanks again!

Hz is Hertz. The update frequency of the screen per second. 60 Hz means your screen only refreshes 60 times per second which is easier on your system to lock on to max refresh rate which usually gives the smoothest experience. I was really counting on the G2's 60 Hz mode with my aging PC but for me it turned out to be bad. It has a constant flickering mainly in the peripheral vision which is inconvenient and I believe it is a health hazard. 

I don't see the point in trying to achieve 90hz when as soon as some action starts reprojection is kicking in anyway. I'd rather play with reprojection and high settings and a bit of ghosting than with 90hz and the game looking like garbage. But maybe i am missing something considering that i am new to the whole thing.

10 minutes ago, Operation_Ivy said:

I don't see the point in trying to achieve 90hz when as soon as some action starts reprojection is kicking in anyway. I'd rather play with reprojection and high settings and a bit of ghosting than with 90hz and the game looking like garbage. But maybe i am missing something considering that i am new to the whole thing.

That is now my preferred way to play as well.

Motion Smoothing works pretty well for me whilst enjoying some nice high graphics settings.

13 hours ago, Operation_Ivy said:

I am curious how you achieve 90fps in a multiplayer dogfight though

It depends on the HMD and supersampling you are using, with my current setup I am obviously unable to do it, but I'd rather keep it at 100% supersampling and 60-70 fps. I am using Fenris configuration, a EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra will arrive next month. 

With the Samsung Odyssey I didn't have a problem keeping 90 fps 

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
15 hours ago, Operation_Ivy said:

I am curious how you achieve 90fps in a multiplayer dogfight though

AMD's new 5900X, RTX 3090 Founders Edition, 2x Corsair MP600 NVMe SSDs, 2x16GB DDR4.

It holds 90Hz in dogfights in MP. Drops to 87Hz from time to time. Average FPS 89,xy. 

See Chiliwili's thread for my benchmarks (which are still with my previous 3080).

IL-2 runs on ultra, what I keep disabled are canopy reflections (spotting), rough terrain, Msaa/fxaa, and "just" high clouds. 

I'm running on 60-70% SteamVR SS with the Reverb G2, which is well enough. No need to force it to 100% - try doing actual AB-comparisons.

• Upvote 1

I was dirty benchmarking my system (3080, 10600k oc and 32gb 3600) in a quickplay mission with 12 bombers and 3+1 single seat aircraft and while it being a quite demanding scenario i wasn't able to hold 90hz even at 50% steamVR ss with everything on low except for shadows and clouds on medium. Maybe it is a driver issue that aircraft start stuttering around when i disable repro and go blow 90fps. Everything else is smooth except for this but i still prefer "repro high settings" because i can also set shadows to ultra which can help a lot in terms of spotting.

I suppose it depends on the server, mission and dogfight but i still have trouble seeing you holding 90hz in demanding scenarios in MP like a mass raid on TAW despite you having obviously a more potent system.

Edited by Operation_Ivy

Your system should be able enough to stay above 80Hz in these situations with Clouds high and Shadows Ultra which doesn't introduce the flicker and lets you keep good aim even when pulling hard into deflection.

From my experience your bottleneck should be the 10600K with multiple aircraft-loads like this. Or more precisely, IL-2's architecture under such loads, the CPU itself is potent. And important to know that in VR, IL-2 draws AVX. So you need to set your AVX offset to 0 in BIOS. This bottleneck is best fought by reducing Preset Settings to High. Try the steam-software fpsVR and watch the frametimes.

Shadows and Clouds only stress the GPU. Make sure to have SSAO enabled, as it actually improves performance. Nobody knows why ;) 

HDR easily takes up to 15fps in much cloud very aircraft situations too, but I wouldn't play without that.

11 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Your system should be able enough to stay above 80Hz in these situations with Clouds high and Shadows Ultra which doesn't introduce the flicker and lets you keep good aim even when pulling hard into deflection.

From my experience your bottleneck should be the 10600K with multiple aircraft-loads like this. Or more precisely, IL-2's architecture under such loads, the CPU itself is potent. And important to know that in VR, IL-2 draws AVX. So you need to set your AVX offset to 0 in BIOS. This bottleneck is best fought by reducing Preset Settings to High. Try the steam-software fpsVR and watch the frametimes.

Shadows and Clouds only stress the GPU. Make sure to have SSAO enabled, as it actually improves performance. Nobody knows why ;) 

HDR easily takes up to 15fps in much cloud very aircraft situations too, but I wouldn't play without that.

I am actually very satisfied with 45fps and repro but i did some testing anyway because i am curious.

First of all i think i noticed a mistake on my side. I assumed that steamVR SS is the custom resolution multiplier. Reducing the custom resolution multiplier to 60% SteamVR SS helped a lot with the performance for obvious reasons and my dirty benchmark ran a lot better while not being able to really tell the difference between 90% (previous setting) and 60% steamVR SS. I was also able to run high settings. So much for "i am missing something obvious" ...

On a side note, I am pretty sure that the stuttering resulted from the gpu not the cpu because the frametimes were fine on the cpu when the stuttering happens. This is also supported by another test where i set everything to minimum except for clouds to medium. No stutters at all, High 80-90 fps and low frametimes. Increasing general preset was causing stuttering again.

Edited by Operation_Ivy
11 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Its impossible you are struggling with the 3080 and that processor, as soon as I have it I will pass my configuration as another way to configure but in no way you should play at 45fps..

With SteamVR SS at 60% i am not running at 45 fps. Maybe this wasn't well put in my post above. I am running relatively comfortably at 85-90fps in that scenario.

Just for those waiting for new RTX cards and other upgrades.....

I have 10990K (overclocked to 5.4Mhz), 32Gb RAM @ 4133MHz, ASUS STRIX RTX3090 OC to 2070MHz, Odyssey G9 monitor and Reverb G2.
I aim for a rock solid smooth 90fps and get this with:

High settings in IL2

80% SS in Steam VR for App (100% global)

Sharp landscape

Clouds High

The scenario I check with is Rhineland Summer, 2 flights of 4 each fighters and 2 flights of 4x C47s

Clouds set to mid no of clouds setting (I use cloud mods as well and Rhineland terrain mods)

The key seems to be set all your preferred il2 graphics settings and then move the %SS setting down from 100% in steam vr until you get the desired fps rates.

The scenario and cloud effects you choose is also key to checking as a busy one like above will drop it by around 20fps compared to say a 1 on 1 scenario in clear sky so I tend to check with worst case type scenarios.

I found that dropping %SS from 100% to even 70-75% was minimal difference.

Here are my full settings which give 90fps under high il2 stress conditions with Steam VR G2 set to 80%

1920x1080 screen res

100% ui scale

ultra shadows

medium mirrors

4x landscape detail

canopy reflections off

100km horizon

sharp landscape filter

low terrain roughness

grass off

high clouds

fxaa antialias (x4)

target fps off

gamma 0.8

vsync off

ssao off

hdr on

sharpen on

4k textures on

distant buildings on

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Blackbirdkevini1963 said:

Just for those waiting for new RTX cards and other upgrades.....

I have 10990K (overclocked to 5.4Mhz), 32Gb RAM @ 4133MHz, ASUS STRIX RTX3090 OC to 2070MHz, Odyssey G9 monitor and Reverb G2. [...]

Hey, that's very nice to hear,congrats!

What I'm interested in is whether your 3090 also exhibits a chirping sound under load, often confused with coil whine.

Because my new 3090 does so, very extensively and quite loud. 

It's like Jiminy Cricket is having a cricket party down there in the case.

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

My 3080 FE made loud noises while gaming until I changed my PSU. I went from a PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950W to a Gigabyte 850W, and now it's quiet.

Thanks. Here's hope mine will change as well.

I'm going from a Seasonic Focus Gold 750W (2017) to a Seasonic Prime GX 850W (2020). They've sent me the 12-PIN cable already as well, everything should arrive tomorrow.

On 12/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Update on settings

SSAO switched on (ssao_enable = 1), as it improves performance. Yes, I did test it precisely 6 times, it's true. Weird, but welcomed ;)

One remark then about ### Performance Issues ###  here the SSAO is still at 0 for better (GPU) performance 🙋🏿‍♀️

• Thanks 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf, do you still have the preferred settings for those of us still running a RiftS and a 1080ti? It would be nice if they were still somewhere on the original post...

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Vulture

On 12/20/2020 at 2:41 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Update on settings

SSAO switched on (ssao_enable = 1), as it improves performance. Yes, I did test it precisely 6 times, it's true. Weird, but welcomed ;)

What about the negative effect of having SSAO in terms of the plexiglass blur. I don't use VR but trust the same applies to non desktop use...

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

On 1/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, [DBS]TH0R said:

What about the negative effect of having SSAO in terms of the plexiglass blur. I don't use VR but trust the same applies to non desktop use...

Thank you for getting me to check it again. :good:

Something has changed again since last patch. So it did improve performance until last version, confirmed by @chiliwili69 (who found this, while he did all the work to map the different settings and what they'd produce in performance difference) as well. Now it doesn't, now it robs performance. So I have removed it again.

Keeping up with version changes, first post edited. :good:

On 1/3/2021 at 6:23 AM, kirk66 said:

SCG_Fenris_Wolf, do you still have the preferred settings for those of us still running a RiftS and a 1080ti? It would be nice if they were still somewhere on the original post...

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!

Vulture

Hi, 

I don't have a 1080ti nor a RiftS here anymore, so I can't check it properly. I haven't had Oculus gear in a while, just recently I tested the Quest 2 (which is great imho!) from a friend who brought it along (thanks @StG2_Raven_VR !). So I would only estimate and guess, and that would not be good enough imho.

It seems very important that you switch to OpenComposite and don't run the game via SteamVR, as that could induce a considerable performance hit, as mentioned by @dburne who is one of the Oculus Pros.

You can start with 1,32x multiplier to your resolution. So that it shows to have 1690x1900 for the resolution. Then put Preset to High, enable sharpen, shadows to high, canopy off, grass off, landscape filter blurry, land rendering range 4x, enable HDR, disable bloom (in startup.cfg). Check your fps with fpsVR or an app comparable in the Oculus store. And if it's too low, you may want to check wether your GPU is exceeding the max frametime. If it isn't, the issue is the CPU - which is often not properly shown. You can tell it is the CPU, if the GPU is beneath the needed frametiming, but the game still does not run at your desired framerate.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi Fenris,

Yes interesting you mentioned about the RTX buzzing sound "like a cricket"
My 3090 buzzes a lot and it seems this is a common problem with RTX 3000 cards. It increases as they are loaded more.

It is caused by the power coils vibrating as more power is fed to them and I have heard that after a while it reduces as the coils 'bed in'. It has reduced a bit now but still not silent !
Not good though especially when we have all paid so much for the bloody cards !!
When I next take the waterblock off I will try to position some thermalpads over the coils which should hopefully stabilise the vibration.

I highly recommend the ASUS STRIX OC RTX 3090 card as it has very good power delivery compared to many other 3090 cards and I have managed to overclock in MSI to +590 on RAM and +190 on clock with 123% power settings (max). This gives 14900 score on 3DMark Port Royal benchmark.
Thermals are very low (I have custom cooling loop with EK Water cooling block and 2 x 480mm rads on GPU dedicated loop...overkill) and never exceed 50-60degC.

With a 5.4OC 10990 CPU its my CPU which is more loaded and I may get an 11990 when they come out which should get me an extra 10% single thread throughput hopefully but will wait to see real world benchmarks when it is released in March.

Picture of PC below (minus glass front panel).....its the first one I have built from scratch since I made a Sinclair ZX80 and Acorn Atom by soldering from kits........anyone remember those?

IMG_7813.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have now fitted a VR Cover faceplate to my G2 which replaces the magnetically attached HP one.
It is really worth doing as I found that FoV improves by approx 5-10% and for me the best bit was improved sharpness towards the edges of your view.

It does this by moving your eyes 5-10mm closer to the lenses so if you wear glasses it may not be a viable mod to do.

Comfort is at least as good as as the HP on as it is a soft padded plastic.

There is a small gap around the nose so not as good a light seal as the HP one but I prefer this as it allows a slight view of keyboard if you need it....you could always eliminate this by moving the rubber HP nose cover over but this would require cutting it off so up to you.

The mod requires https://eu.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-basic-set-for-oculus™-quest-2 (currently showing as out of stock but should be in again soon or maybe available elsewhere.)

To attach to the G2 just buy some self adhesive 10mm wide velcro (approx 30cm of hook side only needed) as this attaches direct to the soft velcro side of the VR cover.
When you stick the velcro on to the G2 just avoid the holes with magnets in so then you can just swap over the HP one with the VR Cover one as you wish.
No irreversible modding required.

Highly recommended.......

I should be getting DOF Reality H6 motion platform tomorrow so I will post some more then on assembly and setup specifically for il2 of that over next few days/weeks if anyone is interested.

IMG_7812.JPG

Guys, please stick to this thread for the mod 

let's talk about graphics settings here and keep hardware somewhere else. I am also guilty of this by mentioning the chirping sound. Thanks :)