Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, WMR (Reverb G2), etc.

57 minutes ago, enyak said:

fpsVR indicates that IL-2 never uses more than ~9GB VRAM so I think the 3080 will be perfect!

Thanks for your feedback.

What gfx card are you currently using? If it is 3080, maybe it is only using 9GB because there is only 10GB available?

Just now, Tball said:

Thanks for your feedback.

What gfx card are you currently using? If it is 3080, maybe it is only using 9GB because there is only 10GB available?

3090, so it shows something like ~8-9/24GB. :)

2D MSFS also doesn't use more than 7-8GB VRAM, but I don't know about VR yet.

DCS VR now this does use a lot more than 10GB on the higher settings. It's an absolute pig for VRAM.

1 minute ago, enyak said:

3090, so it shows something like ~8-9/24GB. :)

2D MSFS also doesn't use more than 7-8GB VRAM, but I don't know about VR yet.

DCS VR now this does use a lot more than 10GB on the higher settings. It's an absolute pig for VRAM.

Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated.

@Tball and @enyak, fpsVR may be displaying allocated VRAM and not actual VRAM, which means it is probably showing more VRAM usage than is actually necessary. On my 3090 fpsVR shows 11.5 GBs of VRAM usage, and @chiliwili69 recommended MSI Afterburner to see actual VRAM usage. I haven’t yet tried that as explained at https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iyl91r/comment/g6dic16?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Tball said:

@Charlo-VR @enyak I think I'm going to wait for a 3080ti. More future and VR prove.

While VRAM is not an issue, it seems like even a 3090 is struggeling to get 90fps at 100% render resolution in everything but "best case" scenarios (in other words everything but clear sky). So in every case you need to lower some settings. Which basically means: get what you can afford, nothing will be good enough to max out all settings.

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

While VRAM is not an issue, it seems like even a 3090 is struggeling to get 90fps at 100% render resolution in everything but "best case" scenarios (in other words everything but clear sky). So in every case you need to lower some settings. Which basically means: get what you can afford, nothing will be good enough to max out all settings.

Good point. I just don't want to end up spending a lot of money on a gfx card, that might not run something due to lag of video memory. Well its impossible to get a Nvidia card right now anyway 😊

Be advised that RAM isn't equal to RAM.

The AMD GPUs have 16GB but can't compete with Team Green beyond 4K. In VR, the Reverb G2 ranges up to 6K at its intended resolution (which does look much better than 50% indeed). When the 6900xt performs worse than the 3080FE you'll know it's aimed at gamers of 2D but without those very high resolutions in mind.

The 3080ti may come somewhen in late spring of 2021, and if you're lucky you'll get one in summer 2021. Don't get fooled by "leaks" on YouTube, or folks there "benching" the 3080ti. It's clickbait, and thousands fall for it and soak it up. I'm also certain it will sit at 1200€, like the previous 2080ti. And during the first month's may reach higher prices, up to 1400€.

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf thanks for the heads up. Do you think I might as well buy the 3090? After all it is easier to get in my country than 3080.

I know people might just try to hype 3080TI up, but I cant get a Nvidia card before January anyway, so might as well just wait and see if 3080TI does indeed get released in January.

On 12/12/2020 at 7:20 AM, Charlo-VR said:

@Tball and @enyak, fpsVR may be displaying allocated VRAM and not actual VRAM, which means it is probably showing more VRAM usage than is actually necessary. On my 3090 fpsVR shows 11.5 GBs of VRAM usage, and @chiliwili69 recommended MSI Afterburner to see actual VRAM usage. I haven’t yet tried that as explained at https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iyl91r/comment/g6dic16?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 

I just spent a couple of hours flying on Flugpark with up to 30 other folk there. I was able to maintain FPS in the high 80s using the settings I posted on the previous page of this thread (though I find it more convenient now to nor run full screen).

@chiliwili69 , following the advice in the above link the MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 2 Build 15840 shows I maxed out at 11.6 Gbs of VRAM "dedicated memory usage" (which I interpret as "allocated" and matches what fpsVR displays for me), but I maxed out at 5.1Gbs of VRAM "dedicated memory usage\process", which I interpret as actual VRAM used by IL2.

7 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

@chiliwili69 , following the advice in the above link the MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 2 Build 15840 shows I maxed out at 11.6 Gbs of VRAM "dedicated memory usage" (which I interpret as "allocated" and matches what fpsVR displays for me), but I maxed out at 5.1Gbs of VRAM "dedicated memory usage\process", which I interpret as actual VRAM used by IL2

Thanks!  I dind´t try it the MSI Afterburner beta. But yes, this should be the real memory usage of IL-2. I have to try this as well.

It is a big difference going from 11.6 to 5.1. It means then that cards with 10Gb should be more than OK for IL-2 in terms of VRAM.

• Upvote 1
On 12/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

Can confirm this. Wife surprised me with an early Christmas gift of a EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra this past weekend. Runs fantastic with my i7 8700k (OCd to 5.1ghz), 32gb RAM, and Rift S with most games and programs, but it seem like there's a "wall" in IL2 VR where the program stops using more of the GPU. After cranking up graphics settings, I think my highest GPU utilization was only 65% and only getting 45 fps with 18 AI taxiing and taking off on an airfield. Of course there could be a  CPU bottleneck but I wasn't seeing obvious signs. However, when I turned my settings back down to where I had them for my old 1080t ('High'with most settings in the middle), I was getting the smoothest VR flight experience I ever had, with my lowest FPS only briefly around 77 (Rift S=80 hz refresh) while in a dogfight with 20+ aircraft.

16 minutes ago, HokieRob said:

Can confirm this. Wife surprised me with an early Christmas gift of a EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra this past weekend. Runs fantastic with my i7 8700k (OCd to 5.1ghz), 32gb RAM, and Rift S with most games and programs, but it seem like there's a "wall" in IL2 VR where the program stops using more of the GPU. After cranking up graphics settings, I think my highest GPU utilization was only 65% and only getting 45 fps with 18 AI taxiing and taking off on an airfield. Of course there could be a  CPU bottleneck but I wasn't seeing obvious signs. However, when I turned my settings back down to where I had them for my old 1080t ('High'with most settings in the middle), I was getting the smoothest VR flight experience I ever had, with my lowest FPS only briefly around 77 (Rift S=80 hz refresh) while in a dogfight with 20+ aircraft.

She is most definitely a keeper.

;)

Great card!

Good day everyone

I just received my g2 last week, i am new to vr and also il2, im a former warthunder player with a cheap logitech extreme joystick but have upgraded to vkb rudder and stick now, its still in the box still for about 3months now because i was waiting on all the gear i need to have more fun, still waiting on my custom made GVL224 throttle.

But to come to my question, i am trying to have the best settings for the g2 running at 90FPS, can anyone please assist me? i did all the settings which is on page one of this forum, it looks incredible but still not 90FPS.

My system is as follow, AMD 3700x, 32gig gskill ram, 2080ti, m.2 ssd, 

What would be the ideal settings?

Looking forward hearing from you guys

@brucevdm based on my settings with a 3070. I'd change:

Overall quality to balanced

Shadows off

Cloud quality low

Render resolution 50%

If that gives you 90fps then you might be able to increase shadows high, overall quality to high or render resolution by a few percent.

Biggest impact on fps have the clouds and the resolution. Keep in mind that even a 3090 struggles to get 90fps with clouds high and 100% resolution.

IMHO the settings to get 90 fps with a 3070/2080TI don't look good anymore. Instead, I use the 60Hz mode (enable in WMR portal) and 80% render resolution and clouds medium. Stable 60fps in all situations so far.

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper

And here's me, happy as Larry with 45 to 90fps (1080Ti). The re-projection with the G2 is absolutely superb, no ghosting, stuttering, nada. :)
I've done zero in the headset's software/settings. Both the Rift and the Q2 had issues, ranging from minor to major. The G2 has none (once it's running).

IL-2  Sturmovik  Battle of Stalingrad Screenshot 2020.12.15 - 10.08.26.23.png

Edited by J3Hetzer
1 hour ago, J3Hetzer said:

And here's me, happy as Larry with 45 to 90fps (1080Ti). The re-projection with the G2 is absolutely superb, no ghosting, stuttering, nada. :)
I've done zero in the headset's software/settings. Both the Rift and the Q2 had issues, ranging from minor to major. The G2 has none (once it's running).

Agree on the re-projection with the G2, it is quite good.

I am running at 100% resolution with pretty high settings and enjoying it very much.

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

Agree on the re-projection with the G2, it is quite good.

I am running at 100% resolution with pretty high settings and enjoying it very much.

I've not monkied much with IL2's settings, though I did have it at a very stable 90 to low 80s. I bumped a couple of bits which reduced the lows to 44/45. If you're one of the lucky ones and don't get the sub-90 nausea there's no discernible difference between 45 and 90, both and in between smooth as silk. On the deck between trees and buildings, smooth 45. Up high, 90. :)

1 hour ago, J3Hetzer said:

I've not monkied much with IL2's settings, though I did have it at a very stable 90 to low 80s. I bumped a couple of bits which reduced the lows to 44/45. If you're one of the lucky ones and don't get the sub-90 nausea there's no discernible difference between 45 and 90, both and in between smooth as silk. On the deck between trees and buildings, smooth 45. Up high, 90. :)

Yeah I do not experience any nausea with re-projection.

Only time I did was when I tried running it at 60 Hz. It was nice being able to maintain 60 fps constant, but I could certainly feel it.

It is a shame they did not offer an 80 Hz mode.

Edited by dburne
3 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah I do not experience any nausea with re-projection.

Only time I did was when I tried running it at 60 Hz. It was nice being able to maintain 60 fps constant, but I could certainly feel it.

It is a shame they did not offer an 80 Hz mode.

They've screwed something up with 60Hz, the cliff-house was shimmering (nasty) when I briefly tried it.

What they really screwed up was allowing MS to parasite its POS WMR on top of SteamVR.

Edited by J3Hetzer
25 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

They've screwed something up with 60Hz, the cliff-house was shimmering (nasty) when I briefly tried it.

What they really screwed up was allowing MS to parasite its POS WMR on top of SteamVR.

Yeah right, it would have been so much better being Steam VR device only.

30 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yeah right, it would have been so much better being Steam VR device only.

All I know is when I used SteamVR with the Rift there were no issues. With this G2, issues up the ying yang.
There was a "hologram" windows update a few days ago and I've not had the issues since, so they might have fixed it all.

50 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

All I know is when I used SteamVR with the Rift there were no issues. With this G2, issues up the ying yang.
There was a "hologram" windows update a few days ago and I've not had the issues since, so they might have fixed it all.

Hopefully so.

Once I got my method of starting things down, and stopped running my Corsair software, things have been rock solid for me.

For some reason my Corsair AIO software and WMR do not get along at all.

14 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

@brucevdm based on my settings with a 3070. I'd change:

Overall quality to balanced

Shadows off

Cloud quality low

Render resolution 50%

If that gives you 90fps then you might be able to increase shadows high, overall quality to high or render resolution by a few percent.

Biggest impact on fps have the clouds and the resolution. Keep in mind that even a 3090 struggles to get 90fps with clouds high and 100% resolution.

IMHO the settings to get 90 fps with a 3070/2080TI don't look good anymore. Instead, I use the 60Hz mode (enable in WMR portal) and 80% render resolution and clouds medium. Stable 60fps in all situations so far.

@41Sqn_SkipperHey thanks for this, im pretty noob with the VR, what does the Render resolution mean at 50%? is this the setting in steam VR? Where that slide bar is? there is 2 you can change, the one is just there at settings video and the other one is at the per application, which should I change to what? and what resolution should be in IL2 itself?

Oh and another thing, i read everyone say i need 90fps instead of 60fps, will this make a big difference? i didnt realy get motion sickness at all with the vr on, its just not cool to see some stuttering effects sometimes, and i dont know if this is the fps drop? i do get 89fps on quick missions offline but as soon as i go multiplayer it just drops to like 70ish

10 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

@J3Hetzer thanks man, can you also show me your settings in steamvr? the video slide bar one and also the one that is for per application setting? on this picture it shows your screen resolution at 3440x1440, is this correct in game? its for multiplayer

Edited by brucevdm
more information
9 minutes ago, brucevdm said:

@41Sqn_SkipperHey thanks for this, im pretty noob with the VR, what does the Render resolution mean at 50%? is this the setting in steam VR? Where that slide bar is? there is 2 you can change, the one is just there at settings video and the other one is at the per application, which should I change to what? and what resolution should be in IL2 itself?

Oh and another thing, i read everyone say i need 90fps instead of 60fps, will this make a big difference? i didnt realy get motion sickness at all with the vr on, its just not cool to see some stuttering effects sometimes, and i dont know if this is the fps drop? i do get 89fps on quick missions offline but as soon as i go multiplayer it just drops to like 70ish

@J3Hetzer thanks man, can you also show me your settings in steamvr? the video slide bar one and also the one that is for per application setting? on this picture it shows your screen resolution at 3440x1440, is this correct in game? its for multiplayer

My settings in the headset settings are stock, I've had zero need to mess with them. 
3440x1440 is my 2D game resolution (non VR). It has no effect on VR.
I have had zero issues with ghosting and stuttering with the G2. YMMV.

1 minute ago, J3Hetzer said:

My settings in the headset settings are stock, I've had zero need to mess with them. 
3440x1440 is my 2D game resolution (non VR). It has no effect on VR.
I have had zero issues with ghosting and stuttering with the G2. YMMV.

@J3Hetzer ok so they are at 100% still? this is now the steamvr settings and per application setting?

2 minutes ago, brucevdm said:

@J3Hetzer ok so they are at 100% still? this is now the steamvr settings and per application setting?

100% is the correct setting for the best image. You can reduce it to get more FPS but the image quality will suffer. I suggest you run the game with various GAME setting adjustments before you mess with the headset settings and see how that goes.

Edited by J3Hetzer
2 minutes ago, J3Hetzer said:

100% is the correct setting for the best image. You can reduce it to get more FPS but the image quality will suffer. I suggest you run the game with various GAME setting adjustments before you mess with the headset settings and see how that goes.

will give it a go now, thanks

On 12/14/2020 at 8:53 AM, chiliwili69 said:

Thanks!  I dind´t try it the MSI Afterburner beta. But yes, this should be the real memory usage of IL-2. I have to try this as well.

It is a big difference going from 11.6 to 5.1. It means then that cards with 10Gb should be more than OK for IL-2 in terms of VRAM.

Here something to read https://www.resetera.com/threads/vram-in-2020-2024-why-10gb-is-enough.280976/

• Upvote 2

But can we trust VRAM usage reported by FpsVr or no?

I still don't understand why we have less VRAM GBs in the 3080 than in the 1080ti, I know these 10GBs are faster but they should at least kept the 11..

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

The 10GB on the RTX 3080 performs better than the 16GB on the 6800XT in most VR use-cases. :good:

Check this out: https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rx-6800-xt-vs-the-rtx-3080-15-vr-games-performance-benchmarked/

-----

Update on settings

SSAO switched on (ssao_enable = 1), as it improves performance. Yes, I did test it precisely 6 times, it's true. Weird, but welcomed ;)

6 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

But can we trust VRAM usage reported by FpsVr or no?

I still don't understand why we have less VRAM GBs in the 3080 than in the 1080ti, I know these 10GBs are faster but they should at least kept the 11..

I posted this elsewhere the other day: Just as an FYI to anyone, following the advice at https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iyl91r/comment/g6dic16?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 , on Combat Box just now with about 40 other pilots the MSI Afterburner 4.6.3 Beta 2 Build 15840 shows I maxed out at 12.5 Gbs of VRAM "dedicated memory usage" (which I interpret as "allocated" and matches what fpsVR displays for me), but I maxed out at 7.1Gbs of VRAM "dedicated memory usage\process", which I interpret as actual VRAM used by IL2. This includes during shooting down an A20 low over Bochum with perhaps three other aircraft I could see around me.

Good News:

Hello James,

I am showing your HP headset did ship, UPS tracking #1Z9306X40303319906, and is showing an expected delivery date of Wednesday, 12/23, as long as other factors don’t delay the shipment such as weather, etc.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Bob

Customer Care Supervisor

So for the time being I'll be using an older 1080 card.Now all I need is a simple step by step of installing this new "dingus" after uninstalling ( and selling I hope) my Pimax5k. Ferris Wolf's advice was great for working with the workings of the Pimax5k and I must say right now its performance is acceptable, but do others have further advice? Precautions ?  Please keep it relatively simple , because I'm relatively simple when it comes to setting these things up...I'll be buying a new graphics card as soon as they become widely available , but that might be a while.I'd like to get a FPS in the 30-50 range if possible ...I don'y get much better now, so hopefully I'll be able to soldier on for a while with what i've got...Ant guesses when the 3070 or the AMD 68800 will be actually available to real people and not just to the evil "Bots' of the internet?

8ball.gif