Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, WMR (Reverb G2), etc.

• 4 weeks later...

@DoodleBug  it is"for best spotting and ID!" 

Those settings are optimised for multiplayer, where is neccessary to see other planes far away, and to recognise asap are they enemies or not.

If you play singleplayer only, then bump all the best what your pc can handle - then spotting and ID-ing is not necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Would appreciate any thoughts on Reverb G2 settings, vs. the G1 published in June.  Just picked mine up.  Thanks to Floppysocks for getting me started.  Could not stand his settings at first and modified to look better, but may have to revisit.  Can't see planes at anything like distances possible in TrackIR.  Can't ID either, sometimes at stupid close ranges and I had gotten quite good at this in TIR.  Looking for balance but willing to try extreme spotting fixes first and then (maybe) back off to "I actually like looking at this" again.  Any thoughts appreciated.

No information to that yet until HP has actually delivered the Reverb G2 to Europa. Ordered July 4th. HP forgot to deliver to Europe, and just sent the first batch out from the factory 2 days ago. The Aussies are already receiving their 3rd batch... It's fine though, you guys got skipped with the index. Giant CF, their logistics. They did not stick to FIFO.

Can't check or adjust what we don't have yet :ph34r:

Be advised though, your settings are definitely wrong. You need to get someone to your house or remotely to fix it up for you, or read into how to setup WMR and Reverb G2 properly. Reddit is a good start. Otherwise, it'll take up to two weeks till I get mine, I'll post settings by then. Hopefully. I'm confirmed to be in the first batch of pre-orders. Even with the Reverb G1 you definitely spotted, kept track and saw better than on a monitor (1440p and 4K), given that you had set it up correctly. Did that.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf trying to prepare my system for the arrival of the G2 next week. I assume the steps are the same as for the G1.

The provided link in the first post (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/release-notes-may-2020) to update WMR doesn't work anymore. WMR Portal seems to be installed already on my system via Microsoft Store. Is there a way to verify that I have already installed the correct version? SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR is installed.

I remember to have read that it's needed to use the beta version of one of the tools, is that true and which one?

I understand that I need to start IL-2 via Steam. I own the non-steam version, is there anything special to do or do I simply add it to the Steam Library as a "Non-steam game"?

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know!

I'll update links and descriptions later this week. My G2 should be coming next week as well.

To your other question: You may want to stay away from beta channels of VR systems like mixed reality and SteamVR or the plugin as much as possible, I always go with the main release, as there are quite a lot of dependencies. And if one version doesn't match the other, sometimes you get issues. Best to stay even further away from "double betas" of two programs that should interact with each other;)

2 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf trying to prepare my system for the arrival of the G2 next week. I assume the steps are the same as for the G1.

The provided link in the first post (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/release-notes-may-2020) to update WMR doesn't work anymore. WMR Portal seems to be installed already on my system via Microsoft Store. Is there a way to verify that I have already installed the correct version? SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR is installed.

I remember to have read that it's needed to use the beta version of one of the tools, is that true and which one?

I understand that I need to start IL-2 via Steam. I own the non-steam version, is there anything special to do or do I simply add it to the Steam Library as a "Non-steam game"?

No need to start a non-Steam version of IL-2 from the Steam library, though you can add it to the library if you wish. Be careful the game might ask you if you wish to merge it with Steam.

I just start IL-2 from my desktop shortcut. I launch WMR for Steam VR which will launch both the WMR Portal and Steam VR,

I then launch IL-2 from my desktop shortcut to IL-2.exe.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Updated first post. Suggestions are welcome to add to this knowledge base

Did disabling PreallocateVirtualMonitors really improve performance for you?

Suggestions for improvement:

- add explanation how to switch from 90Hz to 60Hz mode (In settings of mixed reality portal)

- is enabeling half-res mode in mixed reality portal working when using steamvr? (That is switching from quality to performance resolution in mixed reality portal. It doesn't have any effect for me)

- explanation how to enable motion smoothing (45 fps mode) in SteamVR (must be enabled in dashboard within SteamVR room)

- explain how to set "per application video settings" for stand-alone il2 (il2 must be running while opening the SteamVR settings to be listed there)

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper
17 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

Did disabling PreallocateVirtualMonitors really improve performance for you?

- add explanation how to switch from 90Hz to 60Hz mode (In settings of mixed reality portal)

- is enabeling half-res mode in mixed reality portal working when using steamvr? (That is switching from quality to performance resolution in mixed reality portal. It doesn't have any effect for me)

- explanation how to enable motion smoothing (45 fps mode) in SteamVR (must be enabled in dashboard within SteamVR room)

- explain how to set "per application video settings" for stand-alone il2 (il2 must be running while opening the SteamVR settings to be listed there)

For non Steam IL-2, you can add it to your Steam Library so it will be showing in there without the game running.

Have to add it both to Steam and then to Steam VR.

Just be careful it may ask if you wish to merge it with Steam version of the game, you would not want that.

37 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

How do you add it to steam vr?

I found out the solution from an old Reddit thread just now. After adding a non-Steam game to your Steam library, go to it and right-click on it in your Steam library. Choose "Properties" and you will see the option to add it to your VR library.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

1) Did disabling PreallocateVirtualMonitors really improve performance for you?

2) add explanation how to switch from 90Hz to 60Hz mode (In settings of mixed reality portal)

3) is enabeling half-res mode in mixed reality portal working when using steamvr? (That is switching from quality to performance resolution in mixed reality portal. It doesn't have any effect for me)

4) explanation how to enable motion smoothing (45 fps mode) in SteamVR (must be enabled in dashboard within SteamVR room)

(answered by chiliwili69) explain how to set "per application video settings" for stand-alone il2 (il2 must be running while opening the SteamVR settings to be listed there)

1) I have multiple monitors, which were all duplicated, so the answer for you may be "depends on your setup". It has other benefits it fixes as well.

2) I do not recommend 60Hz, for it considerably impacts gunnery and spotting negatively. The latter especially above forests.

3) The quality setting in Mixed Reality Portal refers only to the Mixed Reality environment (Cliffhouse, etc.), it won't affect SteamVR.

4) I do not recommend motion smoothing, it leads to artifacts: Double planes, and the sun warps and flashes along bars, and aircraft quickly vanish and re-appear above forests. So it impacts spotting negatively.

:good:

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Please work out all the installation and set up kinks in the next 2 weeks...because:

Hi James,

Your order is on track.

We are going to be receiving shipments from hp in a consistent schedule starting next week.

I believe your order should ship out in 2 weeks if my estimate is correct.

YAY! Now for that AMD 6800 Graphics card ...

happy-winking-smiley.gif

1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Please work out all the installation and set up kinks in the next 2 weeks...because:

Hi James,

Your order is on track.

We are going to be receiving shipments from hp in a consistent schedule starting next week.

I believe your order should ship out in 2 weeks if my estimate is correct.

YAY! Now for that AMD 6800 Graphics card ...

happy-winking-smiley.gif

:good:

Yay - you are in for a treat!

I have tested settings today but have find it challenging to find a good compromise for the G2 on a 3090 to get 90Hz with good clarity.

I forgot to say problem is the clouds. As soon as you have light clouds a stable 90fps setting becomes 45fps. Still looks good with motion smoothing but 90fps is heaven for immediate controls feedback.

13 minutes ago, enyak said:

I have tested settings today but have find it challenging to find a good compromise for the G2 on a 3090 to get 90Hz with good clarity.

I have been enjoying these settings recently with the G2 at 100% in SteamVR with Advanced Supersample Filtering and Motion Smoothing both set to off. I get close to 90 fps in SP 8 x 8 Quick Missions, though oddly the same settings indicate in fpsVR only 45 fps in MP, such as in Combat Box and Finnish Virtual Pilots.

4 Graphics screen for Reverb G2 EVGA 3090 best.jpg

4 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

I have been enjoying these settings recently with the G2 at 100% in SteamVR with Advanced Supersample Filtering and Motion Smoothing both set to off. I get close to 90 fps in SP 8 x 8 Quick Missions, though oddly the same settings indicate in fpsVR only 45 fps in MP, such as in Combat Box and Finnish Virtual Pilots.

4 Graphics screen for Reverb G2 EVGA 3090 best.jpg

Thank you, I will give it a try. Can you post both SteamVR SS and the application specific (IL-2) SS Setting used?

Also I think the difference in MP may be clouds. Did you also set them in QMB?

Edited by enyak

@enyakthat's a very good point about clouds, I usually fly in clear skies in Quick Missions. Even at an apparent 45 fps in MP I enjoy the view very much and can spot more easily now than ever before (I had a Quest before this G2 and only started running the G2 at 100% resolution recently).

01 Steam VR Settings General 3090.jpg

02 Steam VR Settings Video 3090.jpg

03 SteamVRPer-ApplicationIL2.jpg

Edited by Charlo-VR
Added name
7 minutes ago, Pekka_Rayha said:

So it seems like all of you use SteamVR, isn't OpenComposite a thing anymore? I think I'm getting better frames with it. 

AFAIK it's Oculus-only, so not suitable for WMR headsets like the G2.

Wow, now I feel dumb. I only just spotted Fenris optimized G2 startup.cfg in the first post and tried it out with the following tweaks:

SteamVR SS: 100% (3164 x 3096)

IL-2 Application SS: 80% (2832 x 2768)

Fenris - startup.cfg: shadows_quality = 2

Now I can hold 80% 90fps in a 4vs4 QMB with light clouds with great visual quality. It looks and plays absolutely amazing! I am sure more tweaking will be necessary but it's a really promising base to start off from.

UPDATE: Just tried out MP on WoL and I also get 90fps with the current settings. Amazing, I can never go back to 45fps. Fenris, du bist ein Genie!

Edited by enyak

Hi all

I have a G2 coming in soon. I only own an old 1080, so I have planned to get a new gfx card (if I can get the hold of one).

My impressions after reading a lot of forum posts,  is that you need a beefy gfx card that has enough video memory to run a good resolution. A resolution preferably much higher than the G2's display resolution, so the sweet spot is increased as much as possible.

Question: Is a 3080 with 10GB memory enough or should I wait for a 3080ti with 20GB memory? Do you know how much memory IL2 uses, if you run with ss: 100%?

Btw I'm a VR newbie. So this post is only based on what I have read on these forums.

35 minutes ago, Tball said:

Question: Is a 3080 with 10GB memory enough or should I wait for a 3080ti with 20GB memory? Do you know how much memory IL2 uses, if you run with ss: 100%?

Btw I'm a VR newbie. So this post is only based on what I have read on these forums.

fpsVR indicates that IL-2 never uses more than ~9GB VRAM so I think the 3080 will be perfect!