Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.

SCG_redcloud111

Hey, Fenris. Used your settings. All works great. I am mostly at 90FPS. Activating 'motion smoothing' for my Odyssey+ sees it drop to 45 sometimes, but I really can't see any difference now. Thanks! Anyway, the only adjustment I've made with your suggestions concerns the 3Dmigoto mod. I actually set my y6 value for low zoom to 0.05. Not sure why that is different.

II./JG77_Manu*
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Properly around 7-8km. Depends on aircraft type and how he flies. If he shows his wings, anytime.

I use your settings pretty much copy/paste (apart from 1.5 instead of 1.6 in Steam VR SS) and the performance is very good, but I still have massive problems in spotting, compared to what I was used to on a screen. For me it's overly important at what angle I see a plane. It happened to me, that from one second to the next my squadmate 1km away just more or less vanished, because he was slightly adjusting his flightpath, while I could see him quite clearly before. I am also having massive problems when aircraft fly over trees, I don't see them properly until I am already too close (in the case of bombers).

All with the Rift. Do you have any idea to make those two aspects better? Does it make sense to go lower with SS or gamma?

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

You can put multisampling = 2  in the startup.cfg, in an older config I had it on just 1.

Remember that the VRzoom ingame does not work correctly. It stops rendering certain objects at ranges between 500m to 2km in winter. To test:

Go to QM -> winter map -> add truck convoy -> attack that truck convoy -> zoom in with ingame's VRzoom. Do this a few times, witness trucks disappearing, only their trails in the snow remain moving.

Gamma can be at 0.7 or 0.8 for the Rift, as too much will darken the scene too much. You can also enable HDR = 1 via the startup.cfg - it just takes some FPS and creates more brighter surfaces so you may get issues with light bleeding away from objects, so made it difficult to spot. Maybe it helps you better though? Make sure to not enter the graphics menu after this, as that would put bloom_enable = 1 automatically and increase glare/halo effect in the lenses.

For Odyssey users, I changed HDR = 1   (bloom_enable = 0  !!! Don't open graphics menu), because the AM-OLED screens of Samsung seem to be quite good with it.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Thanks 1
J5_HellCat_

Hi Fenris_Wolf

I was trying your setup last night and I have a few questions...... I got to this 

On 2/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

1) Set SteamVR SS in its Video section to manual override and 140% . Turn "1) Set SteamVR SS in its Video section to manual override and 140% . Turn "Advanced Supersample Filtering" off." off.

I set it to 140 but couldn't find an  "Advanced Supersample Filtering" setting in steam settings ...am I missing it? I did replace the graphic settings with your's in my IL2 folder (I don't have the steam version)

On 2/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

3) Using lefuneste's migoto VR mod, you need to go to %root game folder%\bin\game\users_settings\  and delete user_keymapping_zoom.ini and then rename user_keymapping_zoom.ini.odyssey to  user_keymapping_zoom.ini

Would I just leave the original user_keymapping_zoom.ini alone ....I'm assuming so as I'm using a Lenovo Explorer WMR so I have no Explorer dedicated zoom.ini 

Thanks for your time.....

Edited by HellCat_
12 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

More SS means harder far distance spotting. Not sure about AA.

both algorithms share the same goal: add more rendered information to the initial image and then scale/output it to the appropriate screen resolution.

The SS works by creating a large image (larger than the output screen resolution allows), and then downscaling it to the output screen. Hence the distant 'object' in the initial image will appear smaller/use less pixels due to the higher initial resolution.

The AA (MSAA) relies on color manipulation around geometric shapes to produce an effect of smoothness. It can use either 2, 4 or 8 samples – the higher the sample count, the higher the quality and the performance impact. In other words MSAA tries to 'blend in' the jagged pixels of the distant object in to the surrounding pixels, which obviously impacts its recognition.

Edited by moosya
  • Thanks 1
1PL-Husar-1Esk

Guys I'm about to receive my Samsung  O+ , I'm on 1080ti , 4,8Ghz i7 6700K what would be the best SS and gfx setting to start with for competitive play in mind (if possible in VR) ? I do read that it's good to monitor cpu/gpu latency in ms and change settings to achieve <11 ms , correct?

7 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

Guys I'm about to receive my Samsung  O+ , I'm on 1080ti , 4,8Ghz i7 6700K what would be the best SS and gfx setting to start with for competitive play in mind (if possible in VR) ? I do read that it's good to monitor cpu/gpu latency in ms and change settings to achieve <11 ms , correct?

I don't use SS even on the lower res Rift to help spotting. TBH I never noticed that SS makes that much difference in clarity. It's a bit clearer but cannot change physical resolution limitations of headsets.

J5_HellCat_
19 hours ago, HellCat_ said:

"Advanced Supersample Filtering" off."

I finally found it  ...and I agree I didn't really notice much of a difference with it off either ...I thought I would.

Aloha-Snackbar

Can recommend for Odyssey/Odyssey+ to set:

"renderTargetScale" : 2.0

in the windows mixed reality for steamvr config file. It increases clarity for absolutely zero cost in performance.

https://imgur.com/a/qPfBp3g

the improvement is more noticeable at higher levels of supersampling.

Edited by Aloha-Snackbar
Formatting
  • Thanks 1
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi,

I switched back to sharpened filter, since it allows to orientate easier on TAW. It's more of a personal preference. Blurred still allows easier spotting against the ground indeed.

An aircraft coming from higher altitude, especially from direction of the sun, will always remain a surprise, no matter which settings you use. You can still see it, if you look into the right direction. I advice to fly with a wingman in combat spread, and scan your sectors, each for several seconds, then you go on to the next and remain there for a while. Good settings are no substitute for proper, thorough scanning, and a wingman. 👍

JonRedcorn

Fenris you sir are a genius, I don't know what you are changing in the startup config file but it makes the game A: look better, and B: spotting way easier, it was so clear it was weird.

• Like 1

Just trying to follow the guide, and mostly done, must admit that I have grown a bit fed up of feeling like I'm always taken by surprise. Only thing that remains is to bind a joystick button to 5* or 10* zoom. This is not as intuitive to me, as the rest of the guide. Could someone give me some tips on how to use that joy2key thing or whatever it is called ? and thank you Fenris for this guide.

With some YT help, I was able to eventually figure it out, and what a difference 5 * Zoom makes !! TY !

Edit: I think something may be causing a memory leak. not sure if it is joy2key, or the other mod. Since making the changes I find that after a while, a period of hours, that the PC starts to stutter in IL2. if I'm on TS with my Wingman then his voice also gets a stutter at the same time. closing and relaunching IL2 isn't enough to clear the problem, I have to restart the PC.

Perhaps I should try restarting Joy2Key next time to see if that helps

Edited by =11=Herne
  • Like 1
SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 12/25/2018 at 4:11 PM, =11=Herne said:

[...]

There is no memory leak. Please check your system's memory health, you might have a faulty module or another issue. Or maybe a Windows Update snuck through in the background? Good luck on finding the culprit anyway, and hope that it's no serious Hardware issue! 👍

• Thanks 1
=BES=Senor_Jefe

Do you need to make the zoom.ini file read-only when changing to Odyssey?  Only reason I ask is because my 10x zoom was not any better when I made the switch to that file for my Odyssey+.

Update:  Alright, I'm officially extremely frustrated.  I've changed the "user_keymapping_zoom.ini" to "user_keymapping_zoom.rift" to nullify that (and keep it in case i ever transition to rift for whatever reason).  I've then renamed the odyssey version to "user_keymapping_zoom.ini".  

My problem is that no matter what i input in to y6, x7, and y7, not a thing changes.  After each "change" i go back in game and hit f10 where I get an audible tone, but nothing has changed in 10x zoom.  I've also gone the route of editing the d3dx.ini default factor to 10.0 per instruction, but nothing there has changed either.  I've even set a few of them to 25.00!  

Note:  My SteamVR and MixedRealityVRDriver are on a separate drive from the IL2 steam install drive, since I have a dedicated SSD for the game.  Would that affect anything?

What the F am I doing wrong here?

Edited by =BES=Coyote-66
  • Upvote 1
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Hi, basically everything 😁   You may want to simply follow the instructions in post #1. It sounds like you might be using the latest stable release version (10.5), and a previous version at the same time. I figure this from you having the user_keymapping_zoom.* files, but still editing around variables in d3dx.ini, which should not be there. Most have been exported. Or, you probably edited the initializations of the variables, which will then get overwritten by the seperate methods anyway.

What you want to do now is a clean cut.

1) Delete all files associated with the mod. For this, look into the mod's archieve, then find the files and folders in IL-2\bin\game.

2) Reinstall the mod properly, please follow instructions in my first post. As of 10.5, you only need to rename the user_keymapping_zoom.* files as shown. There is no need to edit the variables manually in a file anymore for Rift, Vive, Odyssey, Odyssey+, or Pimax2k users. Just rename the Odyssey file 👍

3) Good luck 😁

c6_lefuneste

Or wait untill this week-end, because I will release the 10.6 that change again these files...This should be the last time, I hope that they will remain stable in the future.

I put all the settings regarding mask settings (except color profile that may be more user linked) in the user_keymapping_zoom because I enriched the "binocular" mask and put clearer comment.

There are a lot of new features/fixes with this version, so you should install it directly.

I flew a bit with it and did not notice any remaining bugs, except some little glitches that I can not fix. The only problem is the time to update the documentation in first post of the mod !

Edited by lefuneste
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

As I was asked a few times what the settings in the startup file mean:

Spoiler

3dhud = 0      //irrelevant
    adapter = 0   // irrelevant
    bloom_enable = 0   // boolean for bloom, switched to on (1) by enabling HDR ingame. Bloom leads to lightbleeding of bright objects in VR. Can only be kept off while HDR is active if changed in the file - and if user does not enter the graphics menu even once afterwards.
    desktop_center = 1  // centers desktop window
    detail_rt_res = 512  // The resolution of the system texture responsible for the paralax of the earth's surface and grass planting. The farther the grass is drawn - the higher this resolution should be, otherwise the loss of the quality of the micro-relief near will be too noticeable. Put to 512 for VR without grass..
    draw_distance = 0.545000  //land draw distance medium. 0.274000 = 70km, 1.000000 = 150km
    fps_counter = 0  //fps counter off
    fps_limit = 0  //irrelevant in VR, no function
    full_height = 1080 //fullscreen resolution vertical
    full_width = 1920 //fullscreen resolution horizontal
    fullscreen = 0  //important to have no fullscreen, it stabilizes the game if you switch tasks while in VR (if you want to look at TAW page for what aircrafts you have, or use mission planner), no performance loss confirmed
    gamma = 0.70000  //lowers the sometimes too bright picture in VR. If on night mission, adjust while in flight (basic options -> gamma), not via graphics menu. switch back later
    grass_distance = 0.00000   //removes grass, which is a big performance issue when flying low in VR
    hdr_enable = 1    //HDR is important as it improves color range and makes it easier to spot and ID targets
    land_anisotropy = 2  // =2 is blurry, =1 is sharp. Blurry helps against a noisy background and radically improves spotting from top to bottom
    land_tex_lods = 2  //range of land resolution rendered, array from 0 to 3:   3 is highest ingame value
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 2  //highest cloud quality available. I wish the mod that improves cloud rendering could be used online.
    mgpu_compatible = 0   //multi-Gpus
    mirrors = 2    //mirrors = 0 off, =1 low, =2 medium, =3 high
    multisampling = 2   // multisampling = 1 is 2x, = 2 is 4x
    or_enable = 1   //enables VR
    or_height = 1949  //variable for system, last resolution used in VR. It changes after closing the game and shows your true resolution. Good to countercheck wether you accidently had multiple sliders of SS above 100%
    or_hud_rad = 0.80000    //radiant of HUD. The smaller, the more the HUD bends around your head
    or_hud_size = 1.00000   //HUD size, the larger this value, the easier to read the HUD. Increases size of icons and font as well, much better readability
    or_ipd = 0.06770  //variable for system, last IPD used in VR
    or_width = 1563 //variable for system, last resolution
    post_sharpen = 1   //sharpen on or off
    preset = 2   // =2 is high, =3 is Ultra
    rescale_target = 1.00000   //rendering scale, always keep at 1.00000, or it will reduce resolution due to the regular frametime spikes. With SS given, that strongly blurs the picture.
    shadows_quality = 2    // shadows = 3 is high, = 2 is medium, =1 low, etc. 5-10fps per step.
    ssao_enable = 0   //keep off, it costs performance in VR and flickers trees in various VR configurations (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, and you barely get an improved picture, so not necessary).
    stereo_dof = 5.00000   //irrelevant for VR
    vsync = 0  //irrelevant for VR
    win_height = 1080   //windowed resolution
    win_width = 1920   //windowed resolution

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
SCG_redcloud111

Fenris. Super, super helpful. I had thought I was following your settings properly, but I wasn't. I went through these one by one and reset them according to your list. Looks way better. I have one question regarding the main problem I am having, which is identifying planes from a distance. Do you think setting autoreprojection=off will work in the default.vrsettings file? Sometimes when there is fast movement the planes will stutter while I look at them in an attempt to identify so that I can drop on them. I am assuming this is the reprojection kicking in. Ideas?

12 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

max_cache_res = 1

Thanks for the explanation but Fenris what is max-cache doing? 

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
On 1/5/2019 at 5:26 AM, redcloud111 said:

Fenris. Super, super helpful. I had thought I was following your settings properly, but I wasn't. I went through these one by one and reset them according to your list. Looks way better. I have one question regarding the main problem I am having, which is identifying planes from a distance. Do you think setting autoreprojection=off will work in the default.vrsettings file? Sometimes when there is fast movement the planes will stutter while I look at them in an attempt to identify so that I can drop on them. I am assuming this is the reprojection kicking in. Ideas?

This may be the case, I'd have to see it to answer precisely what it is. Also, it usually happens if you're not getting 90fps even without repro. Since IL-2 often has its own will in regards to performance (say Kuban map, 6 planes nearby, and a city beneath you, fps start diving like a FW), that's often an occurance.

my WMR vrsettings file looks like this:

Spoiler

{
    "driver_Holographic" : {
        "renderTargetScale" : 1.0
    },
    "driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
        // Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation
        //     motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
        //     auto         = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
        // "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",
        // dies hier ist extrashit der für DoomVR hinzugefügt wurde"forceHalfRateWithReprojectionMode" : "motionvector",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
        //     green      = off because application can render at full framerate
        //     light blue = on because application is cpu bound
        //     dark blue  = on because application is gpu bound
        //     red        = off because application running at less than half framerate
        // "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
        // disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
        "thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
        "thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
        "thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
        "thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
    },
    "NoInterEyeRotation" : {
        "DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
    }
}

If you comment out all, it won't do reprojection.

I recommend Windows10 1809, the late version is without the critical bugs and improves WMRs' rendering quality (less blurry filter). I especially like the flashlight feature - a window to the real world ;)

SCG_redcloud111

I commented everything out. I think I do prefer this. The ghosting isn't completely gone, but it seems better. I really shouldn't be complaining. My rig  seems to handle everything Wings of Liberty or TAW throws at it. I don't mind 45 fps. Doesn't bother me at all. Just the ghosting of planes, which makes spotting difficult at times.

I am doing a manual install of 1809. I didn't realize it wasn't automatic. Thanks!

Also, I tried 3DMgmoto 10.6. The settings for zoom seem a bit off for Odyssey. Did you find that they worked, or did you have to tweak them? If so, can you post those settings. I'll stay with 10.5 until I hear otherwise.

Thanks again!

TCW_Brzi_Joe

THIS IS COPY FROM ANOTHER THREAD:
Finally I made all 3 Rift zoom levels (and game zoom too) to point at same middle point in infinity (made by looking on plane far far away).

With other settings I was like cameleon :)

PS: I use almost allways 5x zoom..

;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3dMigoto RIFT ZOOM settings by Brzi_Joe
[Key1]
;set high zoom on
Key =  NO_MODIFIERS VK_HOME
type = hold
w = 10.0
y6 = 1.32
y7 = -1.25 

[Key2]
;set  low zoom on
; Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_PRIOR
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_END
type = hold
w = 1.5
y6 = 0.08
y7 = -0.08

[Key3]
;set med zoom on
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_INSERT
type = hold
w = 5.0
y6 = 0.58
y7 = -0.55

My IPD is big,  around 72mm. But I made settings in a way to be clear with same focus for booth eyes in any zoom, and It works same if I change my IPD on mask to smaller. It is hard to explain, but when somebody with different IPD can confirm that works... Take a look here, if visible: https://mega.nz/#!ZdsHiYCI!7MGVyNWTYHcVpbOOpv3CdNtY8KJAaZXA6O4gigD0o1w

ps: tracking broke in the middle of filming :)

• Upvote 1
TCW_Brzi_Joe

How to fine tune 3dMigoto vr Zoom

1) open with notepad your user_keymapping.ini "user_keymapping_zoom.ini" file 

2) open game, the best is in full screen resolution of your monitor. Change it and restart if necessary.

3) start single play quick mission with 1 or more enemy planes 1000m above your plane. Position your plane to have enemy plane clear visible with booth eyes. Pause the game.

4) Take off your HMD mask (Rift). You need to hold and position HMD with your hand (or on top of your head), while looking results on your monitor.

5) position your mask so on booth pictures on monitor enemy plane is visible. It would be better to look to infinity, but 1000m also works. Do not do it in garage!

6) Now you have to play with your ingame zoom; press it, and release repeadetly. You will see that plane on your monitor shifts a little bit with zooming. Move your HMD left-right-up-down until plane on monitor stays allways in the same spot, regardles of zoom. Use sticky tape and mark that point on your monitor, for right and left eyes booth. Do not move your HMD any more. Now you are ready to start tunning.

7) Now press and release repeatetly your key for i.e. 5x zoom. You will probably see that plane shifts when zoomed. IT SHOULD BE AT SAME POSITION ON MONITOR, IN ANY ZOOM!!!! Alt-tab to .ini file. Find the part where 5x zoom is described, i.e:

------------------------------

[Key3]

;set med zoom on

Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_INSERT

type = hold

w = 5.0

y6 = 0.58

y7 = -0.55

W is zoom value, y6 is horizontal shift, and y7 is vertical shift. Change y6, save and press F10 - that will update your change in game.

Alt-tab to game and check result.

Repeat it until horizontal shift is perfect.

Now do same for vertical shift.

After that repeat same for 10x zoom, and 1.5x zoom too.

Do not forget, after every change, save user_keymapping.ini "user_keymapping_zoom.ini",press F10, and then alt-tab to game.

See “good” results in this short movie, unfortunatelly I was filming, keypressing and holding HMD at same time :

https://mega.nz/#!ZdsHiYCI!7MGVyNWTYHcVpbOOpv3CdNtY8KJAaZXA6O4gigD0o1w

Make a backup of your .ini.

THE END

Edited by Brzi_Joe
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Brzi_Joe, while your input is appreciated, this individual fine-tuning has been done before and is described in the mod's thread. You can ask lefuneste to include your values in the Mod for basic Rift settings.👍

As lefuneste has pointed out in the other thread, please look here for the latest mod thread. It's also the one linked to in my first post.

c6_lefuneste
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, Brzi_Joe said:

How to fine tune 3dMigoto vr Zoom

1) open with notepad your "user_keymapping.ini" file 

2) Find the part where 5x zoom is described, i.e:

[Key3]

With the 10.6 binocular mask feature it should be easier, as there is a "target" drawn in the middle of the screen. But it seems that you are using an old version of the mod because zoom settings (including key mapping) are in user_keymapping_zoom.ini since 10.5

Edited by lefuneste
TCW_Brzi_Joe

You were right, I just installed 10.6 yesterday, and tried it for 1 min only. With a binoculars / circles should be much easier.
Also "user_keymapping_zoom.ini" is the right file. 
I wish if somebody try my values, with different IPD in oculus rift. I believe it works, but..

Edited by Brzi_Joe
SCG_redcloud111

Hey, Fenris. Do the Odyssey+  settings for 10.6 work for you? All three zooms are off for me. If you had to adjust, can you post the values?

Thanks!

Edited by redcloud111
punctuation
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

I have the nonplus Odyssey version. My buddy Jared however confirmed that the values are fine for the Odyssey+. Hence, I must assume that something has happened during your installation.

SCG_redcloud111

Just tried again, and all files installed properly. I am seeing double vision on each levels. Minor, but it is there. I will stick with 10.5. For some reason whenever I tab between the game and the .ini it takes almost a minute for the game come back up in my headset. This makes testing interminable!

Thanks, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Oh yeah mistyped, I was quickly summarizing what is what. Thanks for pointing it out! 👍

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Such an issue I have not experienced yet. This is abnormal. 😳

For this bug @307_Tomcat, you may want to ask lefuneste. I cannot provide bug support, he can probably help you much better.

My first step would be, however, to uninstall and delete manually all remains of mod and IL-2 and just reinstall the entire bunch - to start with a clean slate?

TCW_Brzi_Joe

307_Tomcat I do see it. Are you sure you put your markings on right spots on monitor screen? Did you made it with in game zoom (so aimed plane does not shift with and without ingame zoom)? 

I can help you more if you post 3 pictures:

1) without zoom

2) in game zoom only

3) 3dmigoto zoom

4 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

Also, try to reinstal 3dmigoto mod, or use old version. When I first tried it, it was broken on my pc, I couldn't use it, and my changes were not applied. With next version I got full functionallity.

Edit2: set your horizontal shift in migoto zoom, so enemy plane on left and right screen is apart same value as your monitor markings. In your case reduce it. That should help.

Edited by Brzi_Joe
x

I’ve ironed out several problems with clarity I’ve had recently but I have had one issue that I can’t figure out that someone might be able to give me a solution.I like Ferris Wolf’s settings found here & they work, BUT after game play I find that they often revert to original settings.Now sometimes it could have something to do with me changing “in-game” Graphis settings, but often they seem to change if I do nothing.So what’s going on here? What can I do to stop this transition? Thanks!

SCG_Fenris_Wolf

It does this only when you enter graphics settings in-game. Calling up that menu is enough to trigger it. It's the only reason we know of 😉

4 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It does this only when you enter graphics settings in-game. Calling up that menu is enough to trigger it. It's the only reason we know of 😉

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

507cdbc6fcca6e781f681367511e999d.jpg.gif

• SCG_Fenris_Wolf changed the title to Spot and ID well! Tricks, fixes, copy/paste settings for SteamVR, Vive Pro 2, Reverb G2, etc.