SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Copy/Paste settings plus ZOOM for best spotting and ID! Odyssey+, Pimax5K+, Rift S, Rift!

Let's not discuss it here at least. We don't want this topic deleted. Too much useful info in it. 

8 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Sorry, no that's completely false. The Zoom mod you are talking about does not work because we changed the renderer, not because we have taken any steps to stop it from working. But yes, it's become a polarizing issue, one that we did not create nor ask for. I've addressed this issue in another thread. When I have something more to say about the issue I will. Until then, please take this discussion elsewhere.

Jason

the discussion was elsewhere, but you lock every thread with the discussion.  And the mod does not work not because of the update.  Yes, the mod always needs reworked after an update.  It takes a day or two then we're back up and running.  However, now there is no mod thread, no mod to download or update.  So yes, it's broken, for all intents and purposes.

Listen, I get that you don't want to hear about it anymore.  So I'm done voicing my opinion.  I'll check back with IL2 in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Guys, while we waiting, we can actually play game in mp; play bombers! Our gunners can take care for other bad boys, and for bomb delivering in a dive you do not need eyes 😄

I am happy again :)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, =BES=Senor_Jefe said:

the discussion was elsewhere, but you lock every thread with the discussion.  And the mod does not work not because of the update.  Yes, the mod always needs reworked after an update.  It takes a day or two then we're back up and running.  However, now there is no mod thread, no mod to download or update.  So yes, it's broken, for all intents and purposes.

Listen, I get that you don't want to hear about it anymore.  So I'm done voicing my opinion.  I'll check back with IL2 in a few months.

I agree it's getting a bit annoying that any time this topic is mentioned discussed the thread gets locked or deleted. I understand that if people are at each other's throats it should be locked but the discussion on this subforum was as peaceful as can be. 

BUT - I also believe that Lefuneste and Jason are working on a solution. Normally it took 1-2 weeks for Lefuneste to update the mod after a patch either way so I can be patient for now and hoping for news in a few weeks. Even if the news were that we'd have some kind of fix in 2 or 3 months that would be fine for me. 

Edited by HunDread
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This thread is for discussion of best spotting settings, and mod or not, there are plenty of things to research with this new update. I suggest everyone put their energy into that rather than making their "point" about other stuff where we've clearly been asked to stop arguing. Those points have been made, and heard, and we await an outcome. Meanwhile, we have FXAA, MSAA, supersampling, canopy reflections, the list goes on. Let's spend time figuring those out rather than going round in circles.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hey gang!  Just fyi Pimax people - I just got notice from Pitool.exe there is an update pitool version.  Testing.  Thought some of you might appreciate the info.  S! and have fun!  😄

Edit:  New firmware too post install!

Edited by JG51_Beazil

Anyone knows how to enable that corner fps counter on Rift S, im using opencomposite and OTT bypassing steamVR?

I had fps counter before but now it's disappeared!

17 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

In startup.cfg :

fps_counter = 1

You can also bind to a button on HOTAS in game settings, believe it is under Service category.

Then can toggle on and off as desired.

• Thanks 1

Guys, 

please no more discussion on the mod. It's getting fixed, so rest assured. And listen to what Jason said, they did not block the mod. The rendering sequence has changed for the shaders. We know you're waiting for it and cannot play right now - and the developers are aware of it as well, or Jason wouldn't have posted.

While it's getting fixed, please take a look and check out the the graphics. It's fantastic, and the Jak-9(T)s are beautifully crafted too. The 9T has such a giant cannon you wouldn't want to miss, you got to try it, it's absolutely ridiculous (read: cool). The Devs worked until past midnight (check Moscow time and compare to the update!) to push the giant upgrade to the rendering of the engine.

Also, I fully trust the Devs, and you should do so as well. I am also certain that at a point in the future, there'll be a spot in the roadmap that can implement a proper vanilla VR zoom. As a sign of that trust, I have also purchased both new planes (and the Hurricane as well). I wouldn't do so if I was uncertain of the course.

Thanks for reading, and see you in the skies soon:salute:

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 8

47 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Guys, 

please no more discussion on the mod. It's getting fixed, so rest assured. And listen to what Jason said, they did not block the mod. The rendering sequence has changed for the shaders. We know you're waiting for it and cannot play right now - and the developers are aware of it as well, or Jason wouldn't have posted.

While it's getting fixed, please take a look and check out the the graphics. It's fantastic, and the Jak-9(T)s are beautifully crafted too. The 9T has such a giant cannon you wouldn't want to miss, you got to try it, it's absolutely ridiculous (read: cool). The Devs worked until past midnight (check Moscow time and compare to the update!) to push the giant upgrade to the rendering of the engine.

Also, I fully trust the Devs, and you should do so as well. I am also certain that at a point in the future, there'll be a spot in the roadmap that can implement a proper vanilla VR zoom. As a sign of that trust, I have also purchased both new planes (and the Hurricane as well). I wouldn't do so if I was uncertain of the course.

Thanks for reading, and see you in the skies soon:salute:

Awesome man, thanks for the update. Really appreciate it. It's also worth noting, as I understand it, the new version will have the 2d zoom disabled, so concerns about the mod are being addressed at the same time.

That being said, you noted in your OP that the .cfg was updated. Is that to give the best visibility settings after the new patch, or something else?

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Happy to hear the mod is being worked on. This game has quickly become my favorite steam game, credit to the devs for listening to the community. They keep making awesome stuff, I'll keep throwing handfuls of cash at them!

Edited by Porco--Rosso
Read a solution

8 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Also, I fully trust the Devs, and you should do so as well.

VR users are getting rawdogged every patch, as a reminder that they are a mere after tough in a simulator game that sell itself as a "hard core". :good:

12 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Hey gang!  Just fyi Pimax people - I just got notice from Pitool.exe there is an update pitool version.  Testing.  Thought some of you might appreciate the info.  S! and have fun!  😄

Edit:  New firmware too post install!

how did you get on with it ? im also using the pimax 5k+ but i still use pi tool.253 as suggested in this post 

Posted (edited)

V. 254e...seems to be the latest I could find thats recommended...?

Edited by Blitzen

52 minutes ago, YA-Avirex said:

how did you get on with it ? im also using the pimax 5k+ but i still use pi tool.253 as suggested in this post 

Away from my desk ATM but it went something like this.  Already had 253(?).  Logged in, saw red light over driver in Pitool, and just clicked.  When it came up for new firmware I assumed that was needed for the new Pitool version, I allowed that to install and other than the usual starts and stops for setting up parallel projections (switching modes will sometimes crash the game for me on startup).  That's pretty much business as usual for me with Pitool, and so far each version has been in some way superior to the last one so I just kept going.

But in the last 48 or so hours I've had a Pitool update, a corresponding firmware update, an Nvidia driver update and this massive update, so I'm really not sure if performance is a combination of factors or what, but performance is exceptional so far.  I still can't get an ultrawide mode working at 144hz, but that is because that option is not there for me, and I think 144 gives the best image quality for me.

Because of threads like this and guys/gals who share their VR information with each other I'm really enjoying the experience.  S!

In other words, it's good!

Posted (edited)

That update causes dimming backlight issues with several revisions of 5K+ headsets at 90Hz, if you look at the thread to it. That cannot be easily reversed.

I recommend holding off until a patch for that / next update has been pushed.

P.S. Performance is best with 254a, without any microstutter issues. Better than on the new PiTools, especially for RTX2080ti users! The new PiTools do not fully utilize the GPU - they stay between 70-80% usage. On some systems there have been memory leaks reported when using older revisions like 2026 with 254a. But there is a fix if that happens:

Run IL-2 in windowed mode directly from PiTool. If you're in flight and if the game starts to stutter after an hour or two, press Alt-Tab twice to have your system reassign focus and also memory! It fixes it (Win10)!  

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

Hey, guys. To further support the developers, I purchased both new Yaks. They definitely look good in VR. Plenty of new details in the cockpits, for sure.

Startup.cfgs updated.

@SCG_redcloud111 Very well! Yes they do, and the canopy reflections moving 1:1 like they should in VR are just glorious.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Startup.cfgs updated.

Thanks! Added MSAA to 1 to test. Looks amazing. In Quick Match I can maintain 64fps. Hopefully, in multiplayer too.  If not I will sadly drop it back to zero.

I noticed in your startup in the thread you left MSAA at 0. Are you not using it?

I am not sure if MSAA is affecting the mirrors, but I can actually use the mirror in the 5N to see action behind me now.

Quick Match over Novo in the summer looks stunning.

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

On 2/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Steam's SuperSampling reduces the size of aircrafts and tanks at range, so much that spotting contacts can be quite difficult, because they start becoming invisible. 

That is because using Supersampling information gets merged and hence lost. The result is that an aircraft at 15km range may be less than a (few) subpixels in size and is consumed by the sky around the subpixel, as the downsampling merges the colors of multiple rendered pixels to be displayed on a single real pixel. Supersampling too high makes aircrafts invisible as a result. It's inherent in the technology. Flying without any SS was ugly, but always the most competitive choice in Multiplayer.

Can I ask a few noob questions because this is something that has always bothered me.

1) does MSAA do the same thing or does it work differently?

2) if the contact is rendering as just a few sub-pixels, why does it even render at all in "real" pixels with no SS? If there's nothing merging it with the ones nearby, why is it not simply ignored and therefore actually invisible (as opposed to just smudged and hard to see)?

3) if MP competitiveness at the expense of visual quality is the goal, doesn't making your ability to ID worse, as it is worse with no SS/AA, count against that?

Mi first post with PC specs:

Spoiler
On 5/19/2020 at 8:38 PM, WFPK-fishbox said:

Hi, so I`m new to Il. Been triing to get mi VR to work for the last week. I always get two results. First the graphic quality is really bad and I cant see instruments, have some shimmering or find enemy planes, or I get to see all the instruments and spot planes but have stuttering. Mi system isn't showing ant bottlenecks. I even bought FPSVR and it shows stedy fps. I tried with Oculus Tray tool, fiddled with steam VR setting I dont get a solution that is acceptable for a sim game and I`m comparing it to the graphics with DCS ant War Thunder. I know DSC graphics are better and spotting in WT is different so you can see planes 10km away but in IL2 I cant see planes 1km away or if I go for settings so I can see them I have stuttering and shimmering. 

With Gamma fix i cant see instruments in planes like P38 as it gets too dark and leads to problems of armored front screen being too dark etc...

I see on all the forums its common place to have "huge" problems with VR in IL2.

In DCS all works perfectly and it worked from the moment I started up the game. War thunder also has no problems.

Anyway finally to mi question. i think mi last hope is Migoto MOD. So I cant find the new or current version to download.

Can I get a link or maybe can somebody point me in the right direction for a fix to this. I tried all the different settings I could find on the forums. I`m at the point of begging Steam to give me a refund as I bought almost all the modules and planes in one go :( And I`m not going back to Track IR for IL2 even if its such a good game....

Mi specs are:

aorus Z270X-7

Intel i7 7700K overclocket to 4,9gHz stable and running up to 70c

Gforce GTX 1080ti 12gb ram

2x 16gb DDR4-3600MHz ram

2xSSD 960 EVO one for WIN and one for games

VR Oculus rift 

Any help really appreciated as i`m writhing here hoping for some help as a last resort.

Thank you in advanced

Thank you for the help but with the new update I can use Ultra settings with fps drops to 70 on landings. During flight they are steady at 90 FPS maybe i get a stutter here and there but i can live with that for the graphics quality I get. I flew the Bf-109f

Startup.cfg setting:

Spoiler

[KEY = graphics]
    3dhud = 0
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    canopy_ref = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 1024
    draw_distance = 0.54500
    far_blocks = 0
    fps_counter = 0
    fps_limit = 60
    full_height = 1600
    full_width = 3840
    fullscreen = 0
    gamma = 1.00000
    grass_distance = 100.00000
    hdr_enable = 0
    land_anisotropy = 2
    land_tex_lods = 1
    max_cache_res = 1
    max_clouds_quality = 3
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    mirrors = 1
    msaa = 0
    multisampling = 2
    or_ca = 0.00000
    or_dummy = 0
    or_enable = 1
    or_height = 1584
    or_hud_rad = 1.50000
    or_hud_size = 0.75000
    or_ipd = 0.06500
    or_sipdc = 0.00000
    or_width = 1328
    post_sharpen = 1
    preset = 3
    prop_blur_max_rpm_for_vr = 155
    rescale_target = 1.00000
    shadows_quality = 3
    ssao_enable = 1
    stereo_dof = 5.00000
    vsync = 0
    win_height = 664
    win_width = 1176
[END]

Only problem i have now is I cant find anything to shoot at. :)  In carer mode i need to use the map to see the enemy. :( 

Yesterday I played on wings of liberty server and I saw tracers / rockets attacking friendly tanks and I dived down from 2k but couldn't find them. In 1h of flying the only plane I found was a friendly Bf-110. 

So is there any aspect or setting to try again for the spotting to be effective or should I wait for Migoto.mod to be updated? Or maybe some other MOD or Fix?

Thanx for the help guys

Migoto mod doesn't help spotting, that's decided by the logic of the engine and mostly your contrast and brightness settings. HDR 1 with Bloom 0 is a good combo. Gamma .7

The more static a background is, the easier it is to find aircrafts too. I'd suggest you disable SSAO and put shadows to 4 (less flickery, if your rig can hold it), Grass 0, and multisampling 0. That FXAA performs really well but swallows aircrafts against the background (the old "lost him over the forest" thing). Either use MSAA or VR's native Supersampling (but not too much Supersampling).

I'll conduct more tests next week. Currently I'm a bit busy with work and family. I've ordered several new headsets to compare later next week as well.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

hi guys again i just cant seem to get all the lines to show in the VR settings i have tried changing things in the setting but this is all i get 

"GpuSpeed" : {
      "gpuSpeed0" : 1342,
      "gpuSpeed1" : 1350,
      "gpuSpeedCount" : 2,
      "gpuSpeedDriver" : "26.21.14.4587",
      "gpuSpeedHorsepower" : 1346,
      "gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale" : 0.25999999046325684,
      "gpuSpeedVendor" : "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti",
      "gpuSpeedVersion" : 2
   },
   "LastKnown" : {
      "HMDManufacturer" : "Pimax VR, Inc.",
      "HMDModel" : "Pimax 5K Plus"
   },
   "openvr.tool.steamvr_environments" : {
      "disableAsync" : false,
      "motionSmoothingOverride" : 1
   },
   "steam.app.307960" : {
      "disableAsync" : false,
      "motionSmoothingOverride" : 1,
      "resolutionScale" : 20
   },
   "steamvr" : {
      "background" : "#FF000000",
      "installID" : "8549532250707933078",
      "lastVersionNotice" : "1.11.13",
      "lastVersionNoticeDate" : "1589924281",
      "overlayRenderQuality_2" : 0,
      "showAdvancedSettings" : true,
      "supersampleScale" : 0.25

can someone please help me 

Avirex. By 'lines' do you mean the steamvr settings Fenris recommends, such as maxRecommendedResolution? You can simply write them in yourself. Don't forget to add a semicolon at the end of all elements, except for the last one in the {} bracket.

Pleased to report good performance gain with the new PiTool # 259. All in-game settings to their max. Smart smoothing with 90 Hz and I get a very smooth 45 without  issue. Had to install the PiTool # 144B in order to set the Backlight at High and then re-install # 259. The sim has  never looked better in VR on this rig. Hopefully they will update this PiTool with the Backlight added back.

6 hours ago, YA-Avirex said:

i thought it was advised not to type in yourself 

Avirex. I am not sure what you were advised. But @SCG_Fenris_Wolfhas explained not to copy and paste other people's config files. But, you  can manually add elements to your config file. I am not sure what headset you are using, but see step 2 of Fenris's guide (for Pimax) where he mentions what elements you need. These you can add.

The problem with all this is that people are either inaccurate, mistype, or have fat fingers hitting two keys at once. 😁 I have directly helped so many users via TeamViewer that my account was flagged for commercial license requirement. I have since stopped doing that. So far it has been 100% user error, because people don't read and apply the descriptions precisely. Every single reset of the file or other issues, without exception, were user errors.

Yes, as Redcloud said, you should type these things in yourself. I had written that in the description about the steamvr.vrsettings file as well. It's written there precisely what to do. There should be no questions on it. 👍

• Upvote 2

So to be clear, the Migoto mod is NOT working at all right now, correct?   

I had been using an older version just for the 15 deg. look behind function and didn't want to upgrade to the latest version if it isn't working.

1 hour ago, II./JG1_Labroisse said:

So to be clear, the Migoto mod is NOT working at all right now, correct?   

I had been using an older version just for the 15 deg. look behind function and didn't want to upgrade to the latest version if it isn't working.

That is correct.

Just watched a trk file of one of my latest campaign sorties in 2D on my 3440x1440 monitor and I'm amazed at how much action going on around me I missed out on spotting in VR, even when using an HP Reverb headset.

In the latest 4.006c update comment Sneaksie has given tacit approval for an updated version of 3dmigoto to assist VR users with spotting issues. It can't arrive too soon IMO.

Edited by Vortice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vortice said:

Just watched a trk file of one of my latest campaign sorties in 2D on my 3440x1440 monitor and I'm amazed at how much action going on around me I missed out on spotting in VR, even when using an HP Reverb headset.

In the latest 4.006c update comment Sneaksie has given tacit approval for an updated version of 3dmigoto to assist VR users with spotting issues. It can't arrive too soon IMO.

I absolutely agree, it can’t arrive too soon. But we have to give Lefuneste some time and space to work his genius. It’s not like he doesn’t have work and family responsibilities. We just have to be patient....

(Humming)

(Tapping  fingers on desk)

(Alphabetising the magazines in the pile for recycling)

Okay, Lefuneste, please, I’m begging you. I need it now!!!!

• Upvote 1

I have a couple of conflicting notes about changing lines in Steam VR config file .There are the simple ones Ferris recommends , but I have others to with several other lines that might apply. The newest update screwed up my settings ( again) & I'd like to do a reset .Thanks!