SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Copy/Paste settings plus ZOOM for best spotting and ID! Odyssey+, Pimax5K+, Rift S, Rift!

After the last big update yesterday and before starting the sim I went back to check all the settings for my Pimax5K and in some cases re-set them with your suggestions ( with the exception of the "Shadows" setting which i have a bit higher. Some of these settings seem to slip out of what I set them to or change ( of course) if I fiddle with "in game" settings. Also this time I started the sim through Steam & not thru the Pitool of my desktop exe icon which I usually do (I don't really know if this made any difference, but its the first time in a long time that i have stated the sim this way...) In any case I want to tell you that the results were pretty wonderful and I can only think that the developers have made meaningful strides in improving the look & clarity of the sim. The sharpness & detail of all the aircraft inside & out are noticeably better. far less jig jags on straight surfaces such as wings in all conditions esp. white clouds. Fine lines ( like radio aerials or bracing wires on WW1 aircraft,)are better defined with less 'breakup" than before.Clarity of aircraft as seen in the distance seems to be improved as well, making targeting easier.I' haven't checked FPS but with the exception of a few stutters its operting smoothly enough for good game play... I am still playing with the 1080 card and now thanks to the better look of the sim I think I can continue to use Pimax5K well into the future until atime I can afford some form of Pimax8K ( $$$$) and a 2080 card ($$$$.) good news all around!😍Hurray!

( BTW can anyone tell me why the tips for improving VR improvements here don't seem to work with the changes in the "Tips for Improving VR" thread founf either above or below this thread?I think that if I foll with "in game" settings that it of course changes the settings in startup ...I get that, but I would have thought that these settings would have somehow dove tailed & not work in a way against each other...? No biggie...just asking...)

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I have successfully installed the zoom mod but when zooming 10x, I have blurred vision... How do I get rid of this? I have read lots but don't want to touch things without asking.

Also, do you have to you the application on the front page to bind to a button?

thanks!

Badder, read the instructions at

Rename user_keymapping_zoom.ini.forSettings into user_keymapping_zoom.ini (By default the provided user_keymapping_zoom.ini is the one to change settings, so you do not have to do that now).

when in cockpit view (and not in hangar view, it wont work)

• to increase/decrease global convergence for a zoom level :
    press and maintain zoom key (PRIOR, HOME or INSERT)
    press multiple time Lshift+PAGE DOWN or Lshift+END key
  • to increase/decrease google aims convergence for a zoom level :
    press multiple time LALT+PAGE DOWN or LALT+END key
  • to move up/down zoomed view :
    press multiple time LCTRL+PAGE DOWNT or LCTRL+END key
  • to increase/decrease convergence for IPD modifier :
    activate IPD modifier by pressing LALT + DEL
    use same process than for zoom convergence

Coarse / Fine settings mode can be toggled using CTRL + DEL key.  Start with Coarse mode (default), once you have find the rough setting go to fine mode. Convergence increase is 5 time smaller with fine mode.

With just a little time investment, you will get it working.

Joytokey is not required, but is recommended. I also use Voice Attack.

Edited by SCG_redcloud111

13 hours ago, Badders46_VR said:

Hi all,

I have successfully installed the zoom mod but when zooming 10x, I have blurred vision... How do I get rid of this? I have read lots but don't want to touch things without asking.

Try this new version that should ease the zoom settings : https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39748-3dmigoto-mod-icon-masked-by-cockpit-zoom-for-vr-color-change-sight-strengthened13-features/?do=findComment&comment=861226

It displays keybinding and variables values.

Press Lalt+F9, select increment mode fitting the current status, press and maintain the high zoom  key and change the settings.

1 hour ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Try this new version that should ease the zoom settings : https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39748-3dmigoto-mod-icon-masked-by-cockpit-zoom-for-vr-color-change-sight-strengthened13-features/?do=findComment&comment=861226

It displays keybinding and variables values.

Press Lalt+F9, select increment mode fitting the current status, press and maintain the high zoom  key and change the settings.

Thanks! Will give this a go... Will I need to set up the zoom manually? I used the Rift settings from post 1? It looks like it is cross eyed, not blurry... If I close an eye it is perfect! 

55 minutes ago, Badders46_VR said:

Will I need to set up the zoom manually?

Yes. uninstall the current version, be sure that d3dx.ini, shaderfixes  ans user_settings directories are not existing anymore in the il2bos.exe dir, install the 16,0 version and go.

You may have used the false Rift settings (CV1 Vs S) , happened before. Just helped a guy via TeamViewer last week, had precisely the same problem.

Anyway, good luck hunting your own settings. Please post them here, after dialing them in, you will find them in the d3dx_user.ini file in /bin/game/ 😁

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I can seem to get the convergence(/) to change... I installed ver 16 and when I zoom, I have two aircraft (on left eye and one right eye).

EDIT: I have managed to merge the two in high and med zoom but low zoom, I am having trouble with. For some reason, LShift and PgDwn doesn't work but only for this zoom level?!

How do I bind to a buton on my joy/throttle?

Edited by Badders46_VR

On 12/3/2019 at 4:43 AM, SCG_redcloud111 said:

Badder, use Joytokey to bind a key to your throttle or stick, if that is what you mean.

Thanks!

Any idea why I can L Shift and Pg Down to converge the image when using low zoom? It will only get further away?  

2 hours ago, Badders46_VR said:

Any idea why I can L Shift and Pg Down to converge the image when using low zoom? It will only get further away?  

That's the standard process to setup zoom, see explanation for zoom customization in first post of  3dmigoto mod. You can also try this beta version : https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39748-3dmigoto-mod-icon-masked-by-cockpit-zoom-for-vr-color-change-sight-strengthened13-features/?do=findComment&comment=861226

1 minute ago, c6_lefuneste said:

That's the standard process to setup zoom, see explanation for zoom customization in first post of  3dmigoto mod. You can also try this beta version : https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/39748-3dmigoto-mod-icon-masked-by-cockpit-zoom-for-vr-color-change-sight-strengthened13-features/?do=findComment&comment=861226

Sorry, that should have read 'can't left shift and Pg down'.

I managed to get it set up for med and high zoom but for the lower zoom, I ca only increase the distance between the images, not get them closer so they overlap.

This only happens in low zoom. I have two images but I can't bring them together?

1 minute ago, Badders46_VR said:

I managed to get it set up for med and high zoom but for the lower zoom, I ca only increase the distance between the images, not get them closer so they overlap.

Try the last beta version and read the post linked, there is a new process to setup zoom.

14 minutes ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Try the last beta version and read the post linked, there is a new process to setup zoom.

I am using v16 and pressing alt-f9.

Works for high and med, not low. Only left shift-end works in low?

21 minutes ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Works great! Thanks a lot for the effort. Being able to see the shortcuts is really handy for an old prick like me that keeps forgetting and had to put off headset all the time:P

Badder, since you are using the Pimax 5k+, try these settings for Normal FOV, low zoom:

$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsetlow = 0.112500079
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomyoffsetlow = 0
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\maskhorizoffsetlow = 0

Place those in d3dx_user.ini.

Also, don't forget you can change convergence in both directions. According to the instructions:

press multiple time Lshift+PAGE DOWN or Lshift+END key (this will move the views in opposite directions)

4 hours ago, Badders46_VR said:

I am using v16 and pressing alt-f9.

Works for high and med, not low. Only left shift-end works in low?

That's strange, I used it to rebuild my settings from scratch, but maybe I used only one direction...I'll have a look.

Thanks... I'm using the Rift CV1 ☹️

It's just strange that I have it set up with high and med zoom but can't with the low... I'm still using the high and med but low gives my eyes a major problem! Haha!! 

11 hours ago, Badders46_VR said:

Thanks... I'm using the Rift CV1 ☹️

It's just strange that I have it set up with high and med zoom but can't with the low... I'm still using the high and med but low gives my eyes a major problem! Haha!! 

It's working for me : I'm able to increase or decrease the zoom convergence with Lshift+PAGE DOWN or Lshift+END key , whatever the zoom is...

Did you use the user_* files as they are provided ?

1 hour ago, c6_lefuneste said:

It's working for me : I'm able to increase or decrease the zoom convergence with Lshift+PAGE DOWN or Lshift+END key , whatever the zoom is...

Did you use the user_* files as they are provided ?

I didn't change anything in the files - I might remove it and start again? 

3 hours ago, Badders46_VR said:

I didn't change anything in the files - I might remove it and start again? 

You can, but it is unlikely that it will change, as you have the alt+F9 function...

That's strange and I can do nothing more, as it works for me as it is...

Badder, from the top of this thread:

#### PLEASE MANUALLY DELETE THE OLD FOLDERS AND FILES BEFORE UPDATING. DO NOT JUST OVERWRITE THE OLD WITH THE NEW MOD FILES!

The old folders to delete: AddOn, ReplacementTextures, shaderCache, ShaderFixes, users_settings

The old files to delete: d3d11.dll, d3dcompiter_46.dll, d3dx.ini, d3dx_user.ini, nvapi64.dll, uninstall.bat

Not to worry... I will continue using the med and high zoom and use the default il2 low zoom... 👍🏻

Thanks for your help!

Hi @SCG_Fenris_Wolf I am doing some spotting testing and I wondered some things:

• How do you and your group do spotting testing? You said in another thread you have done significant testing - can I ask (briefly) your method? I am building a spotting testing/practice map and I wonder about your method.
  • For the Rift S, you recommend HDR enabled, but not for the Pimax 5k. Could I ask why the difference? And especially, what improvement does HDR enabled give for the Rift S, vs not enabled?

Thanks!

Good news guys, at least for pimax; I tried to make rotation settings for 45deg, and after fast test there is much less graphical errors than before last game update. It is better now with 45deg than before with 30deg.

I do not know what is the reason for that, pimax paralel projection disabled, or il-2 game update in general, but I like it. :)

The changes are in user_keymapping.ini :

Spoiler

;----------------
; view rotation settings 
;----------------

[Keyh]
; rotate view left 
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_NEXT 
type = hold
; 30°
; $cosView = 0.86602
; $sinView = 0.5
; 15°
; $cosView = 0.965925
; $sinView = 0.258819
; 45°
$cosView = 0.7071067
$sinView = 0.7071067

[Keyi]
; rotate view right 
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_END
type = hold
;30°
; $cosView = 0.86602
; $sinView = -0.5
; 15°
; $cosView = 0.965925
; $sinView = -0.258819
; 45°
$cosView = 0.7071067
$sinView = -0.7071067

Edit: graphical errors are still big, but somehow I can see my six clearly. You may try it, I will use it for sure.

Edited by Brzi_Joe

11 minutes ago, Brzi_Joe said:

Reveal hidden contents

;----------------
; view rotation settings 
;----------------

[Keyh]
; rotate view left 
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_NEXT 
type = hold
; 30°
; $cosView = 0.86602
; $sinView = 0.5
; 15°
; $cosView = 0.965925
; $sinView = 0.258819
; 45°
$cosView = 0.7071067
$sinView = 0.7071067

[Keyi]
; rotate view right 
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_END
type = hold
;30°
; $cosView = 0.86602
; $sinView = -0.5
; 15°
; $cosView = 0.965925
; $sinView = -0.258819
; 45°
$cosView = 0.7071067
$sinView = -0.7071067

Edit: graphical error are still big, but somehow I can see my six clean. You may try it, I will use it for sure.

The big question is whether the game actually renders objects (aircraft) within the extra 45 degrees. You need to test. For example, park on a runway with an Ai plane behind you. Can you still see it using the 45 degree head turn? IL2 renders scenery further than it thinks you can see, but not objects. It might be different now, which would be great, but please test you can see an aircraft object using the 45 degree turn.

@Alonzo yes, you were right, sometimes planes are not shown on edges, and graphic land tiles are often gray. 

But, if I check my six like that WITH ZOOM, everything is there most of the time. 

-bigger angle 45deg - better check 6 with zoom, but big graphic problems. Soviet slow turners would like that.

-smaller angle, 30deg - planes always shown with rotation, but with zoom 30deg is not enough.

Today that 45deg saved my ass 2 times in multiplayer, the third time it was too late. 😝 Finally I can check six every 10seconds in hot zone; it is soo easy that I actually do it. Also, until now I didn´t fly russians, as they need to check 6 far more often than germans. Finally in yak 🥰

PS: I was f*kin owl neck v(i)r-tracker 

Edited by Brzi_Joe
grammar, as usual

On 12/6/2019 at 12:54 AM, Alonzo said:

Hi @SCG_Fenris_Wolf I am doing some spotting testing and I wondered some things:

• How do you and your group do spotting testing? You said in another thread you have done significant testing - can I ask (briefly) your method? I am building a spotting testing/practice map and I wonder about your method.
  • For the Rift S, you recommend HDR enabled, but not for the Pimax 5k. Could I ask why the difference? And especially, what improvement does HDR enabled give for the Rift S, vs not enabled?

Thanks!

Maybe because of bloom disabled in startup.cfg graphics settings? I saw HDR could be switched on disabling bloom cause it increase contrast. 

Alonzo,

testing is spotting at 15km distance, 01:00pm, against the sky (upwards), and against the ground (downwards), compare how 109 (small fighter) is rendered. Spotter knows in which direction 109 is. A/B/A/B. Results are dramatically different depending on game settings.

Pimax has better colors, and can adjust color channels and brightness and backlight brightness individually. In Rift S, there is not enough contrast without HDR enabled and the picture is too dull, so much it affects spotting.

I've recently got back in to IL-2 after a few months off and I'm having trouble understanding the updated 3Dmigoto mod.

I previously used this mod (about v11 and prev) on my Rift CV1 without having to adjust any of the convergence etc.

Now, however I can't work out why my convergence settings are so different to the stock mod and the Rift CV1 preset in the first post in this topic.

I loaded both the stock mod and the Rift CV1 preset version of 15.1.1 and the convergence is way off.

After adjusting the Rift CV1 preset version, my settings are:

$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsetlow = 0.107999995
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsetmed = 0.602499962
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\maskhorizoffsetmed = 1
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomyoffsetmed = -0.130500004
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsethigh = 1.35500216
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\maskhorizoffsethigh = 1
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomyoffsethigh = -0.37049979
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\ipdxoffsetvalue = 0.00400000019

What would cause my settings to be so different to the preset for the Rift CV1? Which are:

$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsetlow = 0
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsetmed = 0.25
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\maskhorizoffsetmed = 1
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomyoffsetmed = 0
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomxoffsethigh = 0.659000039
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\maskhorizoffsethigh = 1
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\zoomyoffsethigh = 0
$\users_settings\user_keymapping_zoom.ini\ipdxoffsetvalue = 0.00400000019

Also, I notice that the stock ipdxoffsetvalue is 0.004

What difference does this make to the settings?

Cheers.

ipd offset value is disabled in my versions (except for the WMR Odysseys). They are 0. I don't give support to the stock version, you need to ask Lefuneste about that. He has changed his nickname to @c6_lefuneste 

IPD offset, worldscale switch in-game, are all reasons why the convergence can be off. As soon as you change any of that, you need to find values again. Also, if you have extremely large (larger than 67) or extremely small IPD (smaller than 63) irl, you need to adjust a rest. These are for 65.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KIWIvolshebnik said:

I've recently got back in to IL-2 after a few months off and I'm having trouble understanding the updated 3Dmigoto mod.

Now, however I can't work out why my convergence settings are so different to the stock mod and the Rift CV1 preset in the first post in this topic.

Use the last "beta" 16.0 version provided here:

I give a far better way to setup yourself the settings in game, without having to modify text files.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

testing is spotting at 15km distance, 01:00pm, against the sky (upwards), and against the ground (downwards), compare how 109 (small fighter) is rendered. Spotter knows in which direction 109 is. A/B/A/B. Results are dramatically different depending on game settings.

Pimax has better colors, and can adjust color channels and brightness and backlight brightness individually. In Rift S, there is not enough contrast without HDR enabled and the picture is too dull, so much it affects spotting.

Thanks for the info. I agree about the HDR. Here is a comparison I made with my Rift S HDR on vs off.

Edit: Of course, the HDR image is lighter and looks a bit washed out, but that can be fixed by reducing gamma, as recommended in Fenris' settings. The thing to look at is the contrast of the planes against the forest. HDR version there is a more distinct visibility.

HDR-on-off.png

Edited by Alonzo
  • Upvote 1

Very simple question: does it matter whether I start game thru Steam alone , Through Pimax Pitool ( if it does indeed start game...after one try I didn't get a game start...) 0r just the exe found in bin/game folder?  I am looking for best quality/clarity /sharp shadows rather than max FPS. Its difficult for me to see much difference no matter which one I choose, but I remember reading somewhere that I should turn off Steam completely after entering all the settings for Steam/Pitool /Startup ini/ In Game above.I'm not sure that still holds true.

ace1.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Yes it does matter.

This thread is for best spotting.

Not best graphical eye-candy.

The procedure is all in the main post.... 

....PiTool is only for doing settings once, only to change settings, or for playing Oculus games. PiTool is supposed to be turnt off.

You start Steam -> SteamVR -> then start IL-2. You need to keep Steam on, or your game client won't be able to log in.

✌️

1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yes it does matter.

This thread is for best spotting.

Not best graphical eye-candy.

The procedure is all in the main post.... 

....PiTool is only for doing settings once, only to change settings, or for playing Oculus games. PiTool is supposed to be turnt off.

You start Steam -> SteamVR -> then start IL-2. You need to keep Steam on, or your game client won't be able to log in.

✌️

Compltely my misunderstanding, but many thanks for your help clearing up my misunderstanding...

happy-winking-smiley.gif

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

- Zoom Mod 17 needs a hotfix for horizon at 5x / 10x zoom first. Will then rebuild and upload packages for all headsets. Hence, only the 5K+ version is updated (but still buggy) right now.

Updated to 17.0.1