SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Copy/Paste settings for best spotting! Rift, Odyssey,Odyssey+! *Updated for 3dmigoto_10.6

Hey fenris, 

i took a long brake from il2 in vr since last year december. Back then i could play the game @1.3 pd with an amd 290 card with asw perfectly fine.

Today i have tried your settings and i got not the performance i had hoped for. I had Steam resolution at 100% on the rift what is about 1.42 pd i suppose and exactly your graphics settings. I was flying on the WOL server on the kuban map and my frames where between 35-45 near the ground with forced asw. I have a 1080ti i7 4790k @4.9Ghz and 2400Mhz Ram and game on Ssd. Is the performance normal and what settings would you tweak for better performance? 

Btw the game looks stunning with your settings and Lefuneste‘s mod, thanks for your work. ;) 

Best regards :) 

macemi 

17 hours ago, macemi said:

Hey fenris, 

i took a long brake from il2 in vr since last year december. Back then i could play the game @1.3 pd with an amd 290 card with asw perfectly fine.

Today i have tried your settings and i got not the performance i had hoped for. I had Steam resolution at 100% on the rift what is about 1.42 pd i suppose and exactly your graphics settings. I was flying on the WOL server on the kuban map and my frames where between 35-45 near the ground with forced asw. I have a 1080ti i7 4790k @4.9Ghz and 2400Mhz Ram and game on Ssd. Is the performance normal and what settings would you tweak for better performance? 

Btw the game looks stunning with your settings and Lefuneste‘s mod, thanks for your work. ;) 

macemi 

Somethings not right you should be seeing better performance than that. What preset are you using? Ultra?

19 hours ago, macemi said:

Hey fenris, 

macemi 

I just checked and I was actually getting similar performance to you, try this, lower the AA(anti aliasing) in game to 2, and set the preset to balance, it doubled my framerate on kuban summer map. That 4x anti aliasing hammers the framerate and I noticed barely any graphical difference. Trust me I hate jaggies.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

I just checked and I was actually getting similar performance to you, try this, lower the AA(anti aliasing) in game to 2, and set the preset to balance, it doubled my framerate on kuban summer map. That 4x anti aliasing hammers the framerate and I noticed barely any graphical difference. Trust me I hate jaggies.

I´ve just checked it. Yes, preset ultra was active. Now i try with balanced preset. 

Thanks. 

Just now, macemi said:

I´ve just checked it. Yes, preset ultra was active. Now i try with balanced preset. 

Thanks. 

Don't forget to set the AA to 2 instead of 4 that's where most of the frame rate is being lost.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

Don't forget to set the AA to 2 instead of 4 that's where most of the frame rate is being lost.

Did a long test session tonight and your suggestion worked much better for me (2x AA balanced preset). At altitude i have got stable 90fps. Only at the airfield and close to the ground asw kicked in. I suppose that is normal performance for my hardware, or do you guys aim for constant 90 fps? Another question what pixel density would you recommend for best balance visual/spotting? I don’t get the new Steam vr ss settings, under the application tab i have 100% for il2 and in visuals override 200%, oculus tray tool shows 1.42 pd. 

Thank you for your help. :) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, macemi said:

Did a long test session tonight and your suggestion worked much better for me (2x AA balanced preset). At altitude i have got stable 90fps. Only at the airfield and close to the ground asw kicked in. I suppose that is normal performance for my hardware, or do you guys aim for constant 90 fps? Another question what pixel density would you recommend for best balance visual/spotting? I don’t get the new Steam vr ss settings, under the application tab i have 100% for il2 and in visuals override 200%, oculus tray tool shows 1.42 pd. 

Thank you for your help. :) 

No problem, I would definitely lower it, I use 130% myself. But I also have a 1070. I do have a 8700k though which helps. You get extremely diminishing returns over 130-150% I'd try 130 in steam and see if you even notice much of a difference. You'll get a large boost to your frames from there as well. I don't even run the oculus software just steam VR with my rift, you can do that by setting the oculus software to run as administrator. It won't start up now when you start up steam vr. But yeah 200% is way too much. If you drop it down to like I said 130-150 you will probably get 90fps stable. I also turn ASW off with ctrl+1 on the numpad in game. It lets it run at a higher framerate than 45fps when you drop below 90, I get like 75-80fps. It's way better than ASW IMO.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Personally I rather keep ASW activated, since it allows for better identification and aiming when at closer range. With ASW deactivated, in a situation at 60-75fps, a strong flicker/graphical rubberbanding of other aircraft moving is noticable. Same when you roll your own plane quickly and watch the horizon.

Hence why I keep the prop disk deactivated as well, so no crosshair lighting appears.

I agree that ASW could use some more development work. For example, the ability to exclude certain shaders/objects like the prop disk and sunrays, that would be fantastic!

I installed this yesterday & am noticing a nice improvement of visuals,BUT I noticed an update today-will it be worthwhile to overwrite what I have just done? Thanks!

The "update" is the newly updated d3dx.ini copy & paste to the new update of the 3dmigoto mod by lefuneste, version 9.1 that also fixes the cloudflicker antialiasing issue.  😀👍

Hey Fenris

I just used your settings (copy/pasted everything and installed the mod). I pulled SS in Steam VR to 140% is that correct now? The hidden info says yes but your comment point to SS at 100%. To get rid of the jaggies I use ingame AA is that correct?

Hey Kirin,

I recommend you range your SteamVR's SS up to 150% on the Rift, or up to 140% on the Odyssey. I don't know which hidden info or comment point you are referring to, since the stuff in the spoilers do not define any SuperSampling values. It's only done via SteamVR's SS and should be kept as low as possible, to balance the clearer image against the engine scaling objects down with higher SS ratios.

Hey Fenris,

Great stuff.

Question: I don't use Steam VR SS (i use OpenComposite). I set my SS in Oculus Tray Tool. What would your recommended setting be? I know some players that use 1.1. How does that scale with Steam SS? I don't think that 1.1 is = Steam SS 110% etc.

On 10/8/2018 at 6:26 AM, Mewt said:

Hey Fenris,

Great stuff.

Question: I don't use Steam VR SS (i use OpenComposite). I set my SS in Oculus Tray Tool. What would your recommended setting be? I know some players that use 1.1. How does that scale with Steam SS? I don't think that 1.1 is = Steam SS 110% etc.

It's about right 1.1=110%, also use 1.0 or 100%, spotting is easier with lower SS.

On 10/8/2018 at 4:26 AM, Mewt said:

You square the number to go from Oculus "pixel density" to SteamVR "supersample percentage". So:

• OTT 1.1 = SteamVR 121%
  • OTT 1.2 = SteamVR 144%
  • OTT 1.3 = SteamVR 169%
  • OTT 1.4 = SteamVR 196%

Lots of competitive multiplayer people say that they like OTT 1.1 for spotting, any higher and the GPU smushes the pixels together too smoothly and targets don't stand out. Make sure you have Sharpen ON in graphics settings too, this makes night-and-day difference for spotting.

• Upvote 1

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf : great post, I will update the post of the mod to link this one.

But you should give only parts of the d3dx.ini  to modify instead of the whole file contain.

For example, the last version of the mod greatly improve fps (from 5 fps to 10 !)  but is based only on d3dx.ini. So people replacing the whole d3dx.ini with the one of yout first post may cancel all the fps win.

Edited by lefuneste
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your work lefuneste and thank you for the heads up. I will adjust the post accordingly - and my own d3dx.ini as well! 😀👍

Hi Fenris,

I just installed 9.3 (zip 3Dmigoto_VRBOS_9.8) and I can't get Zoom to work in VR. It was working before (I'm not sure what version I had... the zip was 3Dmigoto_VRBOS_9.1).

Anyway... I'm using Joy2Key with a joystick POV mapped to the Up arrow key for Med zoom. Since 9.8 neither Joystick or the actual up arrow work.

This is what I have in d3dx.ini:

[Key2]
; medium zoom
Key = NO_MODIFIERS VK_UP
type = hold
; zoom increase
w = 5.0
; Rift Settings
y6 = 0.6
x7 = -0.15
y7 = -0.425

However, I noticed this on Lefuneste's intro:

Instantaneous X1.5, X5 and X10 zoom
Activated  by "INSER" key for 1.5X, "HOME" for 5x ,"PAGEUP " for 10x.
This feature should be disabled for non VR use, see “customization” section.
Defaults settings may not fit your IPD or mask, see “customization” section.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:

Never mind... it is the "HOME" key... etc.

Edited by II./JG1_Vonrd

hey there wolf.. i use the Samsung odyssey and with the new update my zoom functions with migoto v10 are no longer set properly. your first file used to work for the Samsung odyssey. but it no longer works for me.. sorry to be an inconvenience to you but i could deff use the help! 

Thank you 

-Sandman

It's not ready yet. I am adjusting the zooms right now. lefuneste has fixed the shaders afaik, but I don't know wether it is final yet. Don't mix the 9.8 file with the 10.0 version please ;)

On 11/6/2018 at 6:18 AM, II./JG1_Vonrd said:

Hi Fenris,

I just installed 9.3 (zip 3Dmigoto_VRBOS_9.8) and I can't get Zoom to work in VR. It was working before ....]

Instantaneous X1.5, X5 and X10 zoom
Activated  by "INSER" key for 1.5X, "HOME" for 5x ,"PAGEUP " for 10x.
This feature should be disabled for non VR use, see “customization” section.
Defaults settings may not fit your IPD or mask, see “customization” section.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT:

Never mind... it is the "HOME" key... etc.

I see, you overwrote the d3dx.ini with the new one. You always need to delete the mod's files, and reinstall it clean with each patch, so that no things mix up later. ;)👍

Hi Fenris.

I just installed lefuneste mod 10.1 via GME (deinstalled 9.5) prior. I pasted the startup.cfg settings per instructions from the start of the thread. Zoom kinda works - everything is closer but not really bigger. But I am getting weird cloud cutouts - like transparent shadows of the cockpit. I posted a picture in the lefuneste mod thread. Any advice?

7 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's not ready yet. I am adjusting the zooms right now. lefuneste has fixed the shaders afaik, but I don't know wether it is final yet. Don't mix the 9.8 file with the 10.0 version please ;)

I see, you overwrote the d3dx.ini with the new one. You always need to delete the mod's files, and reinstall it clean with each patch, so that no things mix up later. ;)👍

Thankyou buddy. Ill just check back every so often. I tried fiddling with it lastnight with the new .ini file but no luck

And yes ill just fresh install the mod and see what i get

I updated the d3dx.ini to the 10.1 version.

Update

I took a Track of the Cloud bug. It's tied to the shadows the cockpit casts. They are interfering with cloud rendering. I recorded a track and sent it to lefuneste.

Work-around

Disable the Cloud Fix. I have updated the d3dx.ini to include it.

Please make sure to always delete any old d3dx.ini when you update the mod to a later version.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1

i will give this new .ini file a go... reinstalled the entire mod still having the same issues. weird it worked perfectly before this patch, i find it odd it messed up the distance between the eyes.

update with new ini file.. still seems to be doing it with your settings on the oddessy. i tried again to get it back in but to no avail. 😔

Yeah it appears on some maps, on some it doesn't. We must wait for 10.2

• Addendum: Yes, disabling the Cloud Fix fixes it for the time being! Hurrah! 😁

disregard, i see what you mean about the shadows. turned off the cloud fix and everything worked. sorry about the confusion

• Upvote 1

No mate, this is something else.

It means you copy & pasted something wrong, or kept them double, inserted characters somewhere, etc.

The fact that it remains when you are reinstalling the entire game means this is an issue with your system.

12 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I am embarressed to ask..but where do I find super sampling in Steam  AND do I have to bother if I play generally through ( or better put ,with..) Oculus tray tool

( This will probably change when I start using the new Samsung HMD or Pimax 5K after christmas...) 

Hey again,

I recommend you use SteamVR's SS instead of the OculusTrayTool. On a friend's PC its "higher CPU affinity" settings stole him FPS and led to microstutters - and ASW=0 did not properly work. The values for SS are given for SteamVR, not for the Oculus Tray Tool.

1.4 SS (PD) in Oculus Tray Tool = 1.96 SS in SteamVR

1.3 SS in Oculus Tray Tool = 1.69 SS in SteamVR

And if you have both 1.4SS in OTT and 1.96SS in SVR, the total will be 3.8416! Make sure to disable the Oculus Tray Tool! Don't use both OTT's SS and SVR's SS at the same time.

You need to google these things yourself mate, I only provide good settings for spotting. Look YT videos or read the official manual from Steam please. For SteamVR SS:

Go to SteamVR options/properties -> Video -> Manual override = 100%  , then SteamVR options -> Applications -> Select IL-2 -> pull slider to the SteamVR setting.

P.S. My first bet would be that you may have deleted more than just the graphics part of your startup.cfg (?). You may want to check it out. If you deinstall the game, make sure to do these things manually by going into the steamapps folder manually. Don't rely on uninstall files or the Steam function ;)

Good luck! 👍

1-1024_2375.jpg

Unfortunately I bought a new keyboard with no numpad so disabling ASW has to be done with OTT which means I have to run both steamvr and OTT, it only works when you start OTT after you turn on the oculus software, if ott is already open it won't work.

6 minutes ago, 392FS_Jred said:

Unfortunately I bought a new keyboard with no numpad so disabling ASW has to be done with OTT which means I have to run both steamvr and OTT, it only works when you start OTT after you turn on the oculus software, if ott is already open it won't work.

Pretty sure the ASW issue will be fixed in his next build of OTT.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Pretty sure the ASW issue will be fixed in his next build of OTT.

Where it applies even if you shut off oculus home and start it up again?

1 minute ago, 392FS_Jred said:

Where it applies even if you shut off oculus home and start it up again?

Yes, he is working on it along with some other things.

Just now, dburne said:

Yes, he is working on it along with some other things.

Quickly realized the mistake I had made after buying the keyboard so that's good to know. The amount of steps required to play the game in VR is a bit ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

I started with the Rift myself. Then upgraded to the Odyssey, which was fantastically easier to setup and get running. All I do is put the headset on and then start SteamVR and IL-2.

I am really curious about the new propietary screens Samsung has in the Odyssey+, they remove the SDE. They aren't sharing this tech with Facebook or HTC, so the no-SDE tech will remain an Odyssey+ exclusive.