BlackSix

BoBP: Luftwaffe, Dates and Plane Types, Sep 1944 - Mar 1945

On 5/18/2018 at 6:01 AM, BlackSix said:

We have such info about begin of operations from Jagdgeschwader 7 ‘Nowotny’ by Robert Forsyth:

Hide contents

Problems plagued Kommando Nowotny from the start. Despite a somewhat crude training programme, it was found that only 15 pilots – those possessing any experience at all on the Me 262 – were capable of flying the type. By late September, however, the Kommando had some 30 Me 262s. The following month saw the first tentative operations, but in the first half of October, no fewer than ten jets were either destroyed or damaged due to take-off or landing accidents. Nowotny’s pilots, most of them drawn from conventional single-engined fighter units, lacking sufficient training in instrument flying and with only two or three dedicated training flights, found the Me 262 with its effortless speed, short endurance and rapid descent difficult to handle.

On its second day of operations, the unit suffered the loss of Oberleutnant Teumer (a veteran of 300+ missions with JG 54, Teumer had claimed 76 kills and been awarded the Knight’s Cross in August 1944) when an engine flamed out and he crashed and burned while landing at Hesepe. That same day, the man who would replace Teumer as leader of 2./Kommando Nowotny, Leutnant Franz Schall, had a lucky escape when his jet crashed on landing at Waggum following a technical fault. It was a stark warning to others that the Me 262 could not be taken for granted.

The Kommando attempted to fly its first operational sortie ‘in force’ on 7 October against one of the largest American daylight bombing raids so far mounted, aimed at oil targets at Pölitz, Ruhland, Merseburg and Lutzkendorf. Taking off from Hesepe, Leutnant Schall and Feldwebel Heinz Lennartz, who had joined the embryonic Ekdo 262 from 5./JG 11, each managed to claim a B-24 shot down, thus bringing home the Kommando’s first victories. However, it would be different for those aircraft operating from Achmer.

BlackSix,

Without appearing to be a pain, "The Me262 Stormbird" book by Colin D Heaton mentions that during the same mission that you mention above, Oberfahnrich Russel claimed a B-24, also.  Therefore, I thought that I would just mention it, just in-case you are putting together a historical campaign!?

In addition, the same book mentions that Schall was a Oberleutnant and that Lennartz was an Oberfeldwebel (pg 118 and 266).

Regards

AFAIK, these are the full copies of pages from http://www.ww2.dk/air.html except units emblems.

2 hours ago, Haza said:

Without appearing to be a pain, "The Me262 Stormbird" book by Colin D Heaton mentions that during the same mission that you mention above, Oberfahnrich Russel claimed a B-24, also.  Therefore, I thought that I would just mention it, just in-case you are putting together a historical campaign!? 

In addition, the same book mentions that Schall was a Oberleutnant and that Lennartz was an Oberfeldwebel (pg 118 and 266).

As we've no real targets for the Kdo Nowotny I don't think about such campaign. I. and II./KG 51 who had fighter-bombers Me 262 A-2a have more chances...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlackSix said:

I. and II./KG 51 who had fighter-bombers Me 262 A-2a have more chances...

I do declare that that, dear readers, is a HINT.....

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Haza said:

BlackSix,

I've no idea if these links below will help you with your research to compare data.  However, I apologise if you already have it or it is no good!

Regards

All of that info on that particular website is a just a rip-off of content from other sites.