Sign in to follow this  
ShorinRyuKan

3 monitor setup or VR?

Greetings!

What will you consider the best option for the most realistic experiance for BOS/BOM/BOK? 3 monitor setup or VR (oculus rift or htc vive)? I am used to play MAXED out graphicly @ 2560x1440 with 80 - 110 fps. I heard that i might be disappionted (graphicly) if i go for VR?  Anyone tried both setups? Would really like your opinion!

Thanks!

Greetings!

What will you consider the best option for the most realistic experiance for BOS/BOM/BOK? 3 monitor setup or VR (oculus rift or htc vive)? I am used to play MAXED out graphicly @ 2560x1440 with 80 - 110 fps. I heard that i might be disappionted (graphicly) if i go for VR?  Anyone tried both setups? Would really like your opinion!

Thanks!

Couple of things to consider here.

On your first point, best option for most realistic experience - VR gets that nod hands down.

On your second one, maxed out graphics at higher resolution - if that is what excites you the most, VR would likely not be for you at least in it's current generation.

The big difference in VR over monitor or monitors - with monitor, you are looking at it/them but still see your world around you. You can glance around and see what is to the right/left of your monitors, etc.

With VR, all the world around you is the game you are playing. You are literally "in the game" rather than looking at it on a monitor. Everything being virtually 1:1 scale, along with great depth perception. In fight sim, it is like you are actually in the cockpit, and everywhere you look around you are looking at the game environment.

Current generation VR is somewhat tough in terms of clarity and resolution. But in terms of immersion and experience, it is tough to beat.

I went with VR with the Oculus Rift little over a year ago, and have no regrets at all. In fact have not gamed any at all on my monitor since.

Note: I have never had a three monitor setup, but I am pretty sure the same points above would apply.  I have seen some 3 monitor users report once they went VR they could not go back to monitors, and others just the opposite. It is really a big matter of personal preference.

• Upvote 1

Couple of things to consider here.

On your first point, best option for most realistic experience - VR gets that nod hands down.

On your second one, maxed out graphics at higher resolution - if that is what excites you the most, VR would likely not be for you at least in it's current generation.

The big difference in VR over monitor or monitors - with monitor, you are looking at it/them but still see your world around you. You can glance around and see what is to the right/left of your monitors, etc.

With VR, all the world around you is the game you are playing. You are literally "in the game" rather than looking at it on a monitor. Everything being virtually 1:1 scale, along with great depth perception. In fight sim, it is like you are actually in the cockpit, and everywhere you look around you are looking at the game environment.

Current generation VR is somewhat tough in terms of clarity and resolution. But in terms of immersion and experience, it is tough to beat.

I went with VR with the Oculus Rift little over a year ago, and have no regrets at all. In fact have not gamed any at all on my monitor since.

Note: I have never had a three monitor setup, but I am pretty sure the same points above would apply.  I have seen some 3 monitor users report once they went VR they could not go back to monitors, and others just the opposite. It is really a big matter of personal preference.

Thanks for fast reply! I hope I can try VR in a store (here in Norway) for som testing. If the "in the game-feeling" is strong, I might forgive a loss in resolution ( I know many have)  :) The Ocolus Rift is also cheaper than a 3 decent monitor setup, and also a cleaner desktop is good as well. I just hope that I`m sold when I try VR (and i thingk I might!) :D 

Thanks again!
Edited by ShorinRyuKan

Thanks for fast reply! I hope I can try VR in a store (here in Norway) for som testing. If the "in the game-feeling" is strong, I might forgive a loss in resolution ( I know many have)  :) The Ocolus Rift is also cheaper than a 3 decent monitor setup, and also a cleaner desktop is good as well. I just hope that I`m sold when I try VR (and i thingk I might!) :D 

Thanks again!

Always glad to help, yes it would be good if you can give it a try.

1CGS did an incredible job with their VR implementation, this sim is really the best in VR over the others.

One other advantage to VR is that if you're the 'virtual cockpit' type then you don't necessarily have to have the monitor in front of you in a VR setup. You could, if you wanted, have your monitor, keyboard and mouse off to one side of the 'pit or even the other side of the room. I've been considering making one with just the controls, VR sensors and headset and a wireless keyboard and mouse and having it some 4-6 feet away from my usual desk that I sit at for non-VR use.

One other advantage to VR is that if you're the 'virtual cockpit' type then you don't necessarily have to have the monitor in front of you in a VR setup. You could, if you wanted, have your monitor, keyboard and mouse off to one side of the 'pit or even the other side of the room. I've been considering making one with just the controls, VR sensors and headset and a wireless keyboard and mouse and having it some 4-6 feet away from my usual desk that I sit at for non-VR use.

Indeed, I have a center mounted Virpil stick with 150mm of extensions, so I sit rather far back from the monitor anyways.

VR certainly brings the world to you, rather than you moving in to see the world.

With the resolution issue, is it just a case that people are used to 144hz etc monitors and playing at high resolutions these days? I still game on a 42" TV at 1980x1080, and I'm starting to think VR wouldn't look too terrible in comparison...

My first try with the rift was a  Microsoft in-store demonstration and it put me off from buying for awhile, it was not satisfactory at all.

However, I kept reading about the experiences of forum users and decided to order one from Amazon so

that I could send it back if it wasn't as good as described by other users.

WOW, I was blown away it was so much better than in the store.

Granted I have a new upgraded PC and I fly full maxed out graphics but I have never found clarity

or FPS to be a any issue at all   All my cockpit gauges are easily read, enemy planes and vehicles are clearly visible.

Is the rift as sharp as my big TV monitor "NO" but would I ever go back to it "NO", the immersion factor is just so great and

clarity/FPS has never been an issue with at all with my Rift.   I don't notice any screen door effect any more.

BOX is also the best flight sim for using the Rift and I have most of them including DCS, X-plane, FS2 etc

I haven't tried it personally but 3 monitor sounds like a lot of wasted space. Have you considered ultrawide? It's probably a better option.

My first try with the rift was a  Microsoft in-store demonstration and it put me off from buying for awhile, it was not satisfactory at all.

However, I kept reading about the experiences of forum users and decided to order one from Amazon so

Granted I have a new upgraded PC and I fly full maxed out graphics but I have never found clarity

or FPS to be a any issue at all   All my cockpit gauges are easily read, enemy planes and vehicles are clearly visible.

Is the rift as sharp as my big TV monitor "NO" but would I ever go back to it "NO", the immersion factor is just so great and

clarity/FPS has never been an issue with at all with my Rift.   I don't notice any screen door effect any more.

BOX is also the best flight sim for using the Rift and I have most of them including DCS, X-plane, FS2 etc

Same experience for me , I upgraded my PC and now run on ultra 4xAA SS 2.2 at 90fps, smoothly and can read instruments no problem, and so far have never shot at any friendlies in multiplayer. :)

If you have the money , upgrade your PC , Rift  its very demanding, I was trying to ran it with my 2 year old PC and althought I was liking it a lot wasnt too happy with the performance and resolution.

Now I am after upgrading my PC.

Cant wait for next gen VR headsets.

With the resolution issue, is it just a case that people are used to 144hz etc monitors and playing at high resolutions these days? I still game on a 42" TV at 1980x1080, and I'm starting to think VR wouldn't look too terrible in comparison...

It's not that. The resolution is bad compared to 1980x1080 on 42". If you go to VR expecting they are around equal, you will be disappointed. Probably you will be disappointed with resolution any way when you first see it. But the pros will most probably overcome the cons in time. I had a DK2 then a CV1 and I was disappointed with the resolution on both but I still couldn't go back to monitors for flight/car simming. 

I haven't tried it personally but 3 monitor sounds like a lot of wasted space. Have you considered ultrawide? It's probably a better option.

Hi! Ultrawide is definitive in my mind :) But the price right now is way to high here I live. I guess the price will fall in time as it become more common pherhaps. Can't wait to try VR though. 

Thanks for reply everyone!

What are your specs on your PC's running VR? Would my GTX 1070 be enough or "just pass"? I guess it is CPU demanding as well, but I think my i7-6700k @ 4Ghz should handle it? Have also 16GB Ram.

I see, It is a litte demanding on specs. I should have that in mind when testing it in store. I have GTX 1070/i7 6700K. Hope it holds up  :unsure: Consider Rift if i go VR as it is alot cheaper than Vive in Norway. Have read alot about the differences between them both, but cant find any significant. Have a small room also, so the Rift is better for seated simming i guess :)

Edited by ShorinRyuKan

After thinking about the same issue for a while and weighing the pros and cons, I finally bought a 35" curved ultrawide monitor:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009847&_ga=2.266382286.1707865053.1519056172-873617559.1516039260&_gac=1.259889400.1518619366.Cj0KCQiA2Y_UBRCGARIsALglqQ0w2GuTuMdMGrJWRa9AzeaAX7CP9-mJFhX_X3Ev-NaHQvw7yBzoJEYaAqaqEALw_wcB

prices on ultrawide have been coming down and there are often sales, so if you shop carefully, you can get a good deal.

In IL2 Bos, it is very immersive, crystal clear picture and the wide view really puts you into the action.

I thought a lot about VR, but many of the games I play do not support it.

3 monitor / track IR user here.

PsryfeC.jpg

But ill never go back to 2d now Ive played in VR.

Its not to everyone's taste but it is to mine :)